Jump to content

Is Duke Riley done?


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Vepil said:

Quinn in the presser said Riley was gassed and they had to pull him. He said something along the lines of he was good and made some mistakes that were expected and they will continue to work with him. Same old same old coach speak.

Or, you know, he's telling the truth, and Riley did some good things out there that people don't notice. Same idea as an Olineman doing great for 58 snaps and you remember the holding call and the sack.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, falconidae said:

Or, you know,  you could hope the light comes on for him and he plays well, because, you know, it makes the falcons better.

I know the man hasn't played well, but he hasn't played 400 snaps in his career, and less than 50 as a MLB.

Swear some of you want him to fail just so you can be right,

 

Edit: just got the snap counts for the game [thanks @Tim Mazetti] 58 snaps at MLB.

Dude we've given him a year in a preseason to prove us wrong and he still looks like he did at LSU. No progression. It's ok. Some picks don't work out and he's one of them. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I rewatched the game and solely watched Riley.  Booty cheeks.  He doesn't know how to take angles, his tackling is atrocious, and there were countless times when he ran himself out of the play allowing a big gain.  He doesn't have instincts, even with our defense being so "read and react" you have to have some idea where a pass or run might go and he just doesn't see it till it happens and by then it's too late.  He needs to STFU and go play football.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Duke is 100% mental.

He puts up a line of “come at me bro” through the media.

Is that just talk? Does he want to be attacked so he can react and try to prove himself? He just needs to get comfortable presnap. He needs to trust his reads and go finish; the whole knowing what to do and a going at them mentality instead. Gotta flip that script mentally.

Go make plays instead of waiting on them to come to you Duke!!

Mixed bag of results like Archer said. Gotta hope he improves with reps. That is all I’m going to say because we got defenders and guys dropping like flies.

Edited by Ergo Proxy
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, falconidae said:

Or, you know,  you could hope the light comes on for him and he plays well, because, you know, it makes the falcons better.

I know the man hasn't played well, but he hasn't played 400 snaps in his career, and less than 50 as a MLB.

Swear some of you want him to fail just so you can be right,

 

Edit: just got the snap counts for the game [thanks @Tim Mazetti] 58 snaps at MLB.

Why is this morose comment used so ad-nauseam on this board?

 

 Nobody wants him to fail. Just like everyone else, I wish he was the 2nd coming of Deion Jones. Thus far he has looked like a wasted pick and a total liability to the defense. We are practically playing w/ 10 men when he's on the field. When you combine his terrible play w/ the Coaching Staff's treatment of him, you are bound to see backlash. Nobody wants him to fail, he's doing that in spades all on his own.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, falconidae said:

Or, you know,  you could hope the light comes on for him and he plays well, because, you know, it makes the falcons better.

I know the man hasn't played well, but he hasn't played 400 snaps in his career, and less than 50 as a MLB.

Swear some of you want him to fail just so you can be right,

 

Edit: just got the snap counts for the game [thanks @Tim Mazetti] 58 snaps at MLB.

We are so good at this and for some reason if a guy doesn't measure up alot of fans want to continually put the boot in instead of like you say hope the light turns on for the guy and he actually starts looking like a player.

I don't see another option at MLBer if I'm honest so Duke has no choice but to stand up and be counted.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kiwifalcon said:

We are so good at this and for some reason if a guy doesn't measure up alot of fans want to continually put the boot in instead of like you say hope the light turns on for the guy and he actually starts looking like a player.

I don't see another option at MLBer if I'm honest so Duke has no choice but to stand up and be counted.

In the few snaps we saw of Foye, all he did was mirror CMC, something Riley couldn't do without dropping back into zone and setting screens on his own teammates.

All we need is average from Foye and I think he'll give us that because Drew Brees will be rubbing his hands like dinner is ready if he sees Duke out there on the field.

Link to post
Share on other sites

At this point, I think Vic Beasley and our lack of a consistent pass rush is more of a major point of concern in my honest opinion. 

I think that would help out with the void in our linebacking corps for now.

Sure, Duke needs to step up and show his worth, but he’s barely put in a FULL season at linebacker...and much less at MLB. 

Yes. It is frustrating to watch Duke “figure things out” on the field as he develops, but we’re not going to go find much better on the waiver wire to replace him at this point.

DQ isn’t going to completely pull the plug on the young fellow after drafting him as high as they did. They’d look foolish cutting him this soon.

We’re going to have to ride this one out and hope he hits his stride like Deion did early on in his career. 

I’m rooting for the kid as long as he is a Falcon, and I trust DQ and MM to get him where he needs to be.

If nothing else, I think he’ll at least be good for developing to add to our linebacker depth going forward.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, falconidae said:

Or, you know, he's telling the truth, and Riley did some good things out there that people don't notice. Same idea as an Olineman doing great for 58 snaps and you remember the holding call and the sack.

It was much worse than an OL holding call, my man. Riley was a liability out there most of the game. 

Playing MLB is a tough gig...no surprise he struggled, considering all his struggles on the outside. But we can’t sugarcoat a bad performance.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Vandy said:

It was much worse than an OL holding call, my man. Riley was a liability out there most of the game. 

Playing MLB is a tough gig...no surprise he struggled, considering all his struggles on the outside. But we can’t sugarcoat a bad performance.

Not trying to sugarcoat it, just trying to add some balance here.

On that long TD, there were 3 falcons around the guy when he caught it, only one of those players is getting raked over the coals for allowing the TD. It's not "3 falcons players missed a tackle", it's  "Riley missed a tackle"

There were a few plays where he did his job. Nobody is talking about them.

Man hasn't played 300 snaps of football yet. He's had one game  as a MLB. And everything he does wrong is correctable with film study and experience.Quinn apparently likes him a lot.

I'm hoping that means Riley is doing the film work and looks much better in practice and that translates to the real game soon. 

If he starts against the Saints, I hope that we see improvement. More plays where he does his job, fewer bad angles. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, falconidae said:

Not trying to sugarcoat it, just trying to add some balance here.

On that long TD, there were 3 falcons around the guy when he caught it, only one of those players is getting raked over the coals for allowing the TD. It's not "3 falcons players missed a tackle", it's  "Riley missed a tackle"

There were a few plays where he did his job. Nobody is talking about them.

Man hasn't played 300 snaps of football yet. He's had one game  as a MLB. And everything he does wrong is correctable with film study and experience.Quinn apparently likes him a lot.

I'm hoping that means Riley is doing the film work and looks much better in practice and that translates to the real game soon. 

If he starts against the Saints, I hope that we see improvement. More plays where he does his job, fewer bad angles. 

This is where it's hard to find agreement.  I don't think that what Duke is lacking can be taught.

Quinn is invested in him, he picked him with a #3 pick.  But Quinn is more invested in winning.

I can't imagine he is going to start against the Saints.  That seems like a real bad idea.

Link to post
Share on other sites

He’s been awful but I have no doubt he will start against the Taints.  DQ keeps putting him out there so I have to believe he is seeing something we all aren’t.  I’ll say this, dude doesn’t seem to have one person on here taking up for him.  That’s amazing..

BTW, still huge Beasley fan here.  He’s not stepping like I thought he would but still have faith he will.  Takk has made some plays but can the dude stay healthy?  Seems like he’s always hurt

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...