Is Duke Riley done?

RazorWing

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 minutes ago, falconidae said:

Doesn't change my point, that one play is coloring everybody's evaluation of his  game. 

We'll find out soon enough what Quinn thinks. If he's starting next week, means DQ hasn't given up on him.

Not just that play.  There was a play in the 2nd where Duke kept his eyes in the backfield, then spun to drop 10 yards right before CMC got the handoff and ran through the middle to the 10 or 11 yard area Duke sprinted out of.  It was....pretty bad.

1 minute ago, NOVAFalconFan said:

Not just that play.  There was a play in the 2nd where Duke kept his eyes in the backfield, then spun to drop 10 yards right before CMC got the handoff and ran through the middle to the 10 or 11 yard area Duke sprinted out of.  It was....pretty bad.

Understand, still that one play is what really has people upset, with reason.

I don't know if the light is going to come on for the man, I do know that he has very little actual game experience and that Quinn continually praises him, which presumably means Riley looks great in practice. 

If he can just get to the point where he's making that tackle, and the proper read most of the time, then the Falcons get get by until Jones gets back.

Lots of people have given up on him, lets see if Quinn has.

2 minutes ago, osiruz said:

Duke looked like Garbage in his run fits, and was alright in the pass game, I hope he gets better with experience but I can see him being cut if this continues.

I am a moron, and Steve Sarkisian is a genius.

Now Im no genius...and Im still figuring out all the intricacies of this defense just like Duke:ninja:....but being that he played mlb yesterday....wasn't CMC his responsibility out of the backfield??

Debo, Campbell, Keanu, etc spoiled a lot if people. You have to appreciate how much we hit the lottery with so many of those guys on defense. Duke may come around, he may not but you cannot bail on him. Especially at the time the team need him most. Sometimes pressure spurs growth.

Look how Rico came into his own. I'm not saying Duke will turn into an all pro or even start. He makes mistakes but also flashes occasionally and people don't realize how special it is even have those moments at this level. As long as the staff has faith, I'm rolling. They've hit on picks and projects so I trust their judgment on defense.

Edited by Run 'n' Shoot

5 minutes ago, osiruz said:

Duke looked like Garbage in his run fits, and was alright in the pass game, I hope he gets better with experience but I can see him being cut if this continues.

I am a moron, and Steve Sarkisian is a genius.

Most players get better with experience, coaches too.

Best case scenario is that DQ has been telling the truth about what he sees in Riley and Riley takes the next step into competence. Just being solid will be just fine until Jones gets back. Next week would be a good time to take the next step. 

Just now, Run 'n' Shoot said:

Debo, Campbell, Keanu, etc spoiled a lot if people. You have to appreciate how much we hit the lottery with so many of those guys on defense. Duke may come around, he may not but you cannot bail on him. Especially at the time the team need him most. Sometimes pressure spurs growth.

Look how Rico came into his own. I'm not saying Duke will turn into an all pro or even start. He makes mistakes but also flashes occasionally and people don't realize how special it is even have those moments at this level. As long as the staff has faith, I'm rolling. They've hit on pick and projects so I trust their judgment on defense.

Good points here.

1 hour ago, k-train said:

Because the MLB is usually Debo, who is one of the best coverage LBs in the NFL.

With Riley at MLB... not so much.

Seems like a decision that was based on personnel, not strictly based on position.

I agree which was the point that this was more about Duke and not bringing in an extra DB.  That Foye was out there and not Duke says that the team thinks Foye is better in coverage and personally Foye has been better against the run IMO.  We shall see if Duke stays in the middle or moves back to weakside.

Duke wasn't going to be a superstar in his 1st NFL start at MLB he didn't even play it in college. I agree DQ got infatuated by his speed at the combine and reached for the draft pick for him. But guys we need Duke now if we are going to be a major player. I wish some of you would back up but Duke is this year's Whipping Boy.

1 hour ago, falconidae said:

Doesn't change my point, that one play is coloring everybody's evaluation of his  game. 

We'll find out soon enough what Quinn thinks. If he's starting next week, means DQ hasn't given up on him.

Doesn't mean Quinn hasn't given up on him. Who else does he have to replace him with?

Pressures not on Duke it's on Manuel.

I think he realises what needs to be done and just has to keep working with Duke to get better there's no way to sugar coat it.

I wouldn't throw the inexperienced Foye in there yet he just hasn't played enough at this level to be expected to pick up the slack.

Duke has to get the little things right control the stuff he can control like making tackles and being active getting guy's lined up correctly.Communication is even bigger which alludes to the point above getting guy's lined up correctly.

To me it's a blessing in disguise this Duke has a chance to get up skilled very quickly or get blown away into the wilderness.If he takes his opportunity listens and learns from Manuel he's got a chance.

3 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

Pressures not on Duke it's on Manuel.

I think he realises what needs to be done and just has to keep working with Duke to get better there's no way to sugar coat it.

I wouldn't throw the inexperienced Foye in there yet he just hasn't played enough at this level to be expected to pick up the slack.

Duke has to get the little things right control the stuff he can control like making tackles and being active getting guy's lined up correctly.Communication is even bigger which alludes to the point above getting guy's lined up correctly.

To me it's a blessing in disguise this Duke has a chance to get up skilled very quickly or get blown away into the wilderness.If he takes his opportunity listens and learns from Manuel he's got a chance.

I think Duke's career is, for practical purposes, over after yesterday.  They could get a way with exposing him against Cam Newton, who is pretty erratic in the passing game, even if the Falcons made him look good yesterday.

If the Falcons put Duke out there next week, the Saints are going to attack his zone on every play and embarrass the Falcons defense.  

6 minutes ago, Peyton said:

I think Duke's career is, for practical purposes, over after yesterday.  They could get a way with exposing him against Cam Newton, who is pretty erratic in the passing game, even if the Falcons made him look good yesterday.

If the Falcons put Duke out there next week, the Saints are going to attack his zone on every play and embarrass the Falcons defense.  

They've got zero choice but to and if needs be only use him against the run.

Who are you going to play at MLBer your not putting Foye there as the same will happen to him.

For me it's on Manuel they'll have to come up with something and use him a specific way as the samething will happen to his replacement.

We've been spoilt with Debo being there he'll cover up weakness because of his speed and experience.Brees has exploited pretty much everyone we've had at MLBer over the years so acting like this is any different it is what it is.

Its the weakness of the scheme the underneath throws anyway.Thats the key for Duke to me is rallying to the ball and making tackles.

3 minutes ago, Peyton said:

You guys realized Duke played decent against the Eagles at the Will.   He's starting a different position and he's young.  I mean I get pissed at him when I see all these mistakes, but middle line backers is a tough position to play.  We have to let him have his growing pains and hopes he progresses.   Debo didn't look good his first game against Tampa all those years ago, either. 

Patience is key with these young players.   Now if he starts the entire season and NEXT season he's doing this, then I think Quinn and Company may demote him. 

Just now, Marco102 said:

You guys realized Duke played decent against the Eagles at the Will.   He's starting a different position and he's young.  I mean I get pissed at him when I see all these mistakes, but middle line backers is a tough position to play.  We have to let him have his growing pains and hopes he progresses.   Debo didn't look good his first game against Tampa all those years ago, either. 

Patience is key with these young players.   Now if he starts the entire season and NEXT season he's doing this, then I think Quinn and Company may demote him. 

The Falcons can't afford to put this dude out there for even one more game.  People need to stop comparing him to Jones.  It's ludicrous.

2 minutes ago, Peyton said:

The Falcons can't afford to put this dude out there for even one more game.  People need to stop comparing him to Jones.  It's ludicrous.

Not saying he's Jones, but if you go back and look at threads about Debo during the first half of 16 you'll see what I mean.  

Like I also said, he's playing middle linebacker.  He's been playing the Will.  Once Debo comes back, you'll see Riley back at the Will regardless of how much you dislike him. 

5 minutes ago, Marco102 said:

I'm with you it's make or break career time for Duke year 2.

To me if I were in his shoes it's a blessing in disguise it'll make him or break him as above can he be a consistent NFL player and perform Week in week out.

For me it's the little things I mentioned earlier tackling is one big thing for me a MLBer must be effective at get that right and the confidence may come.

Pass rush in front of him will help also.