Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Goober Pyle

MMQB: Falcons notes...

72 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, SkerFalcon8710 said:

Omfg 

people watch the replay

first deep ball either mack or levitre was planted right in ryans lap and he couldn’t step into it and it turned into a duck.

on the int hooper gets steam rolled and ryan has to let it fly while getting hit. Just ***** stop with this ryan can throw the ball crap.

the same crap happened in philly, matt had the LG shoved in his lap while releasing a ball. Id love to see anyone on the board do better without stepping into the throw right..

That play was a mess & I wonder if the INT actually ended up being better than what could've been. Hooper actually had to come all the way across and try to chip Horton otherwise he probably would've had an easy strip-sack.... which might've resulted in the Panthers getting the ball at mid-field rather than deep in their own territory.

Not sure if that was a bad call at the line or what, but Schraeder absolutely let Horton go untouched on the play, like he was passing him off to someone else. The way it happened really made it look like that was per the play design... like he was supposed to let Horton go & help Fusco double the DT or something. The problem with that... there was nobody there for Schraeder to pass him off too, because Teco was already out of the backfield sprinting toward the flat & Hooper was still coming across from the opposite side of the line. Furthermore, Fusco didn't need any help w/ the DT, so Schraeder was just standing there blocking no-one at all & thus had zero reason to not just stay put & engage Horton himself. Maybe Schraeder had it right & Hoop was supposed to get over there faster. Who knows?

5 minutes ago, k-train said:

That play was a mess & I wonder if the INT actually ended up being better than what could've been. Hooper actually had to come all the way across and try to chip Horton otherwise he probably would've had an easy strip-sack.... which might've resulted in the Panthers getting the ball at mid-field rather than deep in their own territory.

Not sure if that was a bad call at the line or what, but Schraeder absolutely let Horton go untouched on the play, like he was passing him off to someone else. The way it happened really made it look like that was per the play design... like he was supposed to let Horton go & help Fusco double the DT or something. The problem with that... there was nobody there for Schraeder to pass him off too, because Teco was already out of the backfield sprinting toward the flat & Hooper was still coming across from the opposite side of the line. Furthermore, Fusco didn't need any help w/ the DT, so Schraeder was just standing there blocking no-one at all & thus had zero reason to not just stay put & engage Horton himself. Maybe Schraeder had it right & Hoop was supposed to get over there faster. Who knows?

The play is designed for hooper to be there to block.. its a PA with the TE coming across to chip the backside rusher. It’s literally hoopers only job.. sell out to make that block. The o line has to sell the Run to get the defense moving east/west. We’ve run this exact play dozens of times the last 3 years including last week on Julio’s over the shoulder dropgate. Many variations with the TE chipping the backside rusher 

Schwarzwald likes this

What people don't seem to understand is most deep throws by most QBs end up the same way. When you only see the highlights of other QBs and watch all of Ryan's passes, you don't see the misses from the other QBs, because, they aren't highlights.

Nobody completes more than 30% of those deep passes on a regular basis. ESPN has splits broken down by distance. After you get 30 yards in air past LOS, nobody has better than 30% completions. Sometimes a QB will have a good year, get to 45-50%,

Brees was 7 of 15 on deep passes last year, Roethlisberger was 10 of 40, Rivers 6 of 24, Cousins 5 of 15, Rodgers [2016] was 6 of 25, Brady 1 of 4,  Ryan was 5 of 25.

Just now, SkerFalcon8710 said:

The play is designed for hooper to be there to block.. its a PA with the TE coming across to chip the backside rusher. It’s literally hoopers only job.. sell out to make that block.

That sucks & is kinda what I suspected the more I looked at it. Hooper got a little better with his blocking but it's undoubtably still a weak spot for him. Need to run that play with a guy in there like Paulsen who can actually block rather than Hoop.

2 minutes ago, falconidae said:

What people don't seem to understand is most deep throws by most QBs end up the same way. When you only see the highlights of other QBs and watch all of Ryan's passes, you don't see the misses from the other QBs, because, they aren't highlights.

Nobody completes more than 30% of those deep passes on a regular basis. ESPN has splits broken down by distance. After you get 30 yards in air past LOS, nobody has better than 30% completions. Sometimes a QB will have a good year, get to 45-50%,

Brees was 7 of 15 on deep passes last year, Roethlisberger was 10 of 40, Rivers 6 of 24, Cousins 5 of 15, Rodgers [2016] was 6 of 25, Brady 1 of 4,  Ryan was 5 of 25.

“But we saw dat arun rogers guy on the tv and he made a perfuxt pass, hilites tell you everyfing you needs to know” 

2 minutes ago, SkerFalcon8710 said:

“But we saw dat arun rogers guy on the tv and he made a perfuxt pass, hilites tell you everyfing you needs to know” 

You see the perfect throw and miss the wounded ducks the other QBs, including Rodgers, throw. Not saying a LIKE the misses, just that I understand them.

Just now, falconidae said:

You see the perfect throw and miss the wounded ducks the other QBs, including Rodgers, throw. Not saying a LIKE the misses, just that I understand them.

I was using as much sarcasm as possible. I appreciated your post to shove some context down certain idiots throats on this board that get a hernia every time Julio doesn’t catch a 70 yard td..

nobody will look at the offensive line play either that is effecting a lot of these throws or the simple fact that Julio is giving up on some of these balls instead of hustling them down such as the first overthrow yesterday where someone of his ability could have caught up to that throw. I know @Peyton saw the same thing where Julio just stops trying sometimes. It’s 2 games into the season and it’s getting on my nerves 

26 minutes ago, SkerFalcon8710 said:

The play is designed for hooper to be there to block.. its a PA with the TE coming across to chip the backside rusher. It’s literally hoopers only job.. sell out to make that block. The o line has to sell the Run to get the defense moving east/west. We’ve run this exact play dozens of times the last 3 years including last week on Julio’s over the shoulder dropgate. Many variations with the TE chipping the backside rusher 

^This.

I’m catching a replay since I missed the game live and JUST saw the play in question.

It’s our first drive of the 3rd Q to start 2nd Half. Julio’s acrobatic catch Matt got pressured  because Wes was beat by his man. (Might’ve been a DE and I can’t confirm Matt got hit without All 22)

Ryan on the throw after to Julio is visibly A N G R Y at that INT. Greg Jennings called it out. Said Julio didn’t see the ball in his opinion and that Ryan was expecting Hooper to do his job.

Hooper and Paulson both could’ve done way more on Horton. They both barely throw a single arm at him. Neither fully engaged.

What I don’t know is if Hoop is expected to be a dump off pass to the right Julio isn’t here? But if Hoop sees a guy with a clean shot at Ryan he should definitely commit to the chip/check on Horton before thinking of releasing past him.

Execution.

27 minutes ago, nomak said:

2016 Matt connected more deep passes than any QB in the league...so with that I'd say he is "league level" but for whatever reason he did have a lot of air under them yesterday. I'm confident if Julio puts extra time in with Matt they both can work the kinks out. 

It’s mostly a clean pocket issue. 2 out of 3 yesterday was due to pressure affecting the throw.

nomak likes this

3 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

This.

I’m catching a replay since I missed the game live and JUST saw the play in question.

Its our first drive of the 3rd Q to start 2nd Half. Julio’s acrobatic catch Matt got cleaned because Wes was beat by his DT.

Ryan on the throw after to Julio is visibly A N G R Y at that INT. Greg Jennings called it out. Said Julio didn’t see the ball in his opinion and that Ryan was expecting Hooper to do his job.

Julio is having issues tracking balls that are not PERFECT for him this year apparently. Looks like he has lost multiple balls in the “lights” on his deep balls. I really thought he could ha e tracked back and effected that int and he should have been able to turn on the jets to get to that overthrown ball after being held at the top of the route 

Drew4719 and Peyton like this

10 minutes ago, SkerFalcon8710 said:

Julio is having issues tracking balls that are not PERFECT for him this year apparently. Looks like he has lost multiple balls in the “lights” on his deep balls. I really thought he could ha e tracked back and effected that int and he should have been able to turn on the jets to get to that overthrown ball after being held at the top of the route 

On the INT play maybe that happened but the rest are mostly of bad throw placement by Matt due to poor pocket at time of throw.

Matt either needs to let it go .25 second faster or find a different spot in pocket to release if possible. I’d go with the former than the latter. Can’t always hit timing if you scramble and miss the time release is due by on a go route.

SkerFalcon8710 and Drew4719 like this

1 hour ago, YoungHeezy said:

We need to use the other WR's down the field more. Shouldn't be Julio or bust. Marvin Hall and Calvin Ridley are more than capable.

This, in 2016 the deep ball  became a weapon when Gabriel and Aldrich Robinson got in to rythm. 

Drew4719 and Schwarzwald like this

1 minute ago, Ergo Proxy said:

On the INT play maybe that happened but the rest are mostly of bad throw placement by Matt due to poor pocket at time or throw.

Matt either needs to let it go .25 second faster or find a different spot in pocket to release if possible. I’d go with the former than the latter. Can’t always hit timing if you scramble and miss the time release is due by on a go route.

I wonder if there is an injury some where no one is coming out with. The same in preseason too.

2 minutes ago, falconidae said:

I fully understand that & don't have any delusions of Ryan or any other QB hitting on a high % of those throws. My only thing is that since last season, it looks like he's throwing those long balls a little different than he did when he was noticeably better at it back in 2016.

In 2016, he seemed to be throwing the deep stuff with his upper body (arm, shoulder, chest) upright more often & thus the ball was covering the same distance but travelled a bit lower than it does now, but with a lot more velocity. This made it appear that he had a lot more control over the placement of those passes.

Since 2017, I feel like he's gotten into a habit of bending way back and chucking it toward the ceiling, throwing the ball up almost as much as he's throwing it out, and that results in his throws having too much air under them, losing velocity, and becoming jump balls rather than deep strikes.

Granted, the o-line has been nowhere near as consistent as it was in 2016, so that's surely a large part of it. If he doesn't feel like he's gonna have enough time to stand in the pocket, let the receivers get downfield, and make that deep strike, he might be trying to work around it by getting the ball in the air sooner & higher so that they have time to run under it & try to make a play. The issue I have is that this also gives the DB a better opportunity to run under it & try to make a play.

7 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

I wonder if there is an injury some where no one is coming out with. The same in preseason too.

Ryan injury? Nah he looks fine. Mostly a timing thing. Maybe release it just ever so slightly faster but it’s hard if that affects timing. He has to anticipate Julio’s spot earlier than he apparently would like and this has made the poor pass blocking on a few of these deep shots affect the throw. Clean pass on our 2nd drive and he threw it 55 yards in air. Might be overcompensating slightly from the underthrown ones.

Thats basically being in sync on an air it out ball, but how can you when the throw is changed from pressure in his lap? I’d rather Ryan get clean hit after a clean pass then muddled release.

3 minutes ago, k-train said:

I fully understand that & don't have any delusions of Ryan or any other QB hitting on a high % of those throws. My only thing is that since last season, it looks like he's throwing those long balls a little different than he did when he was noticeably better at it back in 2016.

In 2016, he seemed to be throwing the deep stuff with his upper body (arm, shoulder, chest) upright more often & thus the ball was covering the same distance but travelled a bit lower than it does now, but with a lot more velocity. This made it appear that he had a lot more control over the placement of those passes.

Since 2017, I feel like he's gotten into a habit of bending way back and chucking it toward the ceiling, throwing the ball up almost as much as he's throwing it out, and that results in his throws having too much air under them, losing velocity, and becoming jump balls rather than deep strikes.

Granted, the o-line has been nowhere near as consistent as it was in 2016, so that's surely a large part of it. If he doesn't feel like he's gonna have enough time to stand in the pocket, let the receivers get downfield, and make that deep strike, he might be trying to work around it by getting the ball in the air sooner & higher so that they have time to run under it & try to make a play. The issue I have is that this also gives the DB a better opportunity to run under it & try to make a play.

That wasn't directed at you, that was for the more trollish among us.

k-train likes this

3 hours ago, osiruz said:

Dude was still throwing punts in this game, need to work on his technique.

People raved about how high in the air Mahomes threw against us but people complain about Matt's high long ball...go figure.  LOL!

41 minutes ago, SkerFalcon8710 said:

I was using as much sarcasm as possible. I appreciated your post to shove some context down certain idiots throats on this board that get a hernia every time Julio doesn’t catch a 70 yard td..

nobody will look at the offensive line play either that is effecting a lot of these throws or the simple fact that Julio is giving up on some of these balls instead of hustling them down such as the first overthrow yesterday where someone of his ability could have caught up to that throw. I know @Peyton saw the same thing where Julio just stops trying sometimes. It’s 2 games into the season and it’s getting on my nerves 

I am not a fan of passive aggression, and Julio seems to have become master at passive aggression over the last 8 months.  His quitting on certain plays but killing it on others is like the football equivalent of his social media stunt or his telling TMZ his contract is fine while threatening a hold out over his contract at the same time. 

SkerFalcon8710 likes this

1 hour ago, PHALCONABERNATHY said:

Those deep balls are killing me though. Everyone of them Matt has thrown has been way off target. Not necessarily underthrown but just horribly inaccurate. I know Julio can go get most throws but it looks like he just heaves up a prayer for him.

For those throws, it's up to the receiver to make the QB look good.  The ball is in the air for several seconds.  If it's underthrown, the WR should be able to slow down and adjust to it.  I'm not saying they shouldn't be better with their timing, because they should, but Julio definitely had opportunities to make the throws look a lot better than they did.

For example, the interception.  That ball was in the air for several seconds.  I cannot think of any reason Julio did not adjust his route to that ball and at LEAST break it up.  I understand if it's over-thrown and the WR can't catch up to it, you can only run so fast.  It wasn't, it was underthrown, and in the air for 4 seconds, and he seemed like he could've easily adjusted to it's trajectory.  Am I wrong in thinking he should have had plenty of time while the ball was in the air to track it and adjust his route to make a contested play on it?

https://twitter.com/Panthers/status/1041398020577742848

Drew4719 and Peyton like this

1 hour ago, falconidae said:

Exactly. Like 3 pointers in basketball.  Low % play.

Schwarzwald likes this

5 hours ago, dmo_dlo said:

Ryan was great but there is definitely something wrong with Ryan's arm. Those deep throws are not what you see from an NFL QB. 

Ryan overthrew Julio by 7 yards the first bomb lol It was like a 55 yard throw in the air