Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Goober Pyle

MMQB: Falcons notes...

72 posts in this topic

I said after week 1 the only concern with Ryan should be his deep ball, and that’s still my only concern. We’re simply not hitting them at the rate needed at the league level, especially as a team with an elite talent in Jones. Julio is getting a step on these guys and Matt isn’t hitting him. Every throw has been underthrown except for 1 yesterday, but it looks like Matt is losing accuracy just trying to launch it out there. Even on the free play where he went deep, Julio once again got a step, and Ryan threw the ball out of bounds when he knew he had a free play, he just didn’t have the accuracy 

It’s only an issue to me because it was an issue all of last season, so it’s at the sample size big enough to warrant attention for me. Gotta get it figured out to return to a top 3 offense 

Flying Falcon and Osiruz like this

14 minutes ago, Vogelgryff said:

We usually don't speak about Marquand... so it means that he must be doing an excellent job and he mostly does.

This said, the last play of the game, when one of the D tried to catch the ball instead of batting it, it's either horrendous coaching or the defender has the IQ of an oyster...

Looked like Campbell actually was trying to bat it down, but he whiffed & that's why the ball made it to Moore's hands before he thankfully dropped it. 

7 minutes ago, k-train said:

I agree with the person you quoted on this. All 3 of his deep shots to Julio seemed to have way too much air under them. It was so bad on those first two that I told a friend of mine that if Ryan kept that up, he was just begging to be picked off. Then sure enough on that 3rd deep shot...

He was hit in his throwing arm on that interception.  Horton literally hit his arm as he was throwing.  

1 minute ago, ParanoidAndroid said:

I didn't get a chance to see the replay. Was the Interception tipped? Or did Matty just float it? 

LOL. Nevermind. Answered right above

I didn't notice it when I was at the sports bar yesterday, but when I got home, I watched the DVR. First replay, I thought it was tipped...then I watched again and realized Horton got to him. The announcers said something about it too on their replays.

Ergo Proxy and ParanoidAndroid like this

32 minutes ago, Da_Truth said:

It's about keeping drives going in my mind.  Take your time, walk them down the field and get points.  If Matt had been on throwing the deep balls then I'm for the deep shots.  But like I said, Matt isn't on this year throwing the ball deep.  Until Matt can show he has his timing and deep throws down then I'm just not going as deep with the throws.  A mid-range crossing route might have been better.

A mid-range crossing route might not exploit whatever we are seeing on film.  

Ergo Proxy likes this

So all in all, Matt threw 28 passes. He completed 23 of them.

1 of the incompletions was the ball Ridley dropped because he was afraid Luke was going to kill him. 1 incompletion was the INT when Ryan's arm was hit.  That leaves 3 incomplete balls for this board to complain about.  I might watch the game again tonight to see what those 3 passes were. 

1 minute ago, pzummo said:

A mid-range crossing route might not exploit whatever we are seeing on film.  

If I'm not mistaken, on each deep throw Carolina had a man on Julio as well as a single high safety over top.  I don't know what the Falcons was seeing on film so much, as they seem to just be chucking it up and hope Julio comes up with it.  Again, when your QB's deep throws are off why are you calling these?

Whatever the reason of not connecting on the 50 yard bombs, you still take your shots.

I am all for those shots. Period. Won’t win enough games if we don’t take them. Doesn’t matter if it hasn’t been pretty yet. That’s a stupid reason to just abandon 2 or 3 deep shots. Should’ve hit Julio last week. Ball placement can be affected by many things. Ryan said he had a bad game last week. We all knew that.

We nailed many big time passes just 2 years ago. We will need them moving forward and I think Matt hits better spots. Doesn’t have to be perfect but you don’t abandon something for the defense to have to look to be challenged with.

Good post, OP.

kiwifalcon likes this

4 minutes ago, Da_Truth said:

If I'm not mistaken, on each deep throw Carolina had a man on Julio as well as a single high safety over top.  I don't know what the Falcons was seeing on film so much, as they seem to just be chucking it up and hope Julio comes up with it.  Again, when your QB's deep throws are off why are you calling these?

Defenses don't always do what they show you on film.  I'm just providing context around why you and I can't really judge the outcome of individual calls.  We can judge the overall results, because when we score 12, their DC obviously did a much better job of getting his defense to execute a better gameplan than our OC did with our offense.  

23 minutes ago, Da_Truth said:

The first deep throw was 1 on 1. Julio had a walk in TD if Ryan places it in the right spot. (Just like vs Philly with the double move)

Da_Truth likes this

49 minutes ago, k-train said:

I agree with the person you quoted on this. All 3 of his deep shots to Julio seemed to have way too much air under them. It was so bad on those first two that I told a friend of mine that if Ryan kept that up, he was just begging to be picked off. Then sure enough on that 3rd deep shot...

He's getting the ball down the field, but he's floating them so much that the D has time to react & try to get under it to either break up the pass or intercept it. There is no velocity on those throws & that is an issue IMO.

Punt throws at 8:48, 2:30, and 0:19 with almost no pressure. MR2 just put too much air on the ball. Its becoming an issue.

34 minutes ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

The first deep throw was 1 on 1. Julio had a walk in TD if Ryan places it in the right spot. (Just like vs Philly with the double move)

Yep, Julio also had a step on the free play where the defender was offsides. Ryan’s throw ended up out of bounds, the accuracy on deep balls isn’t there. If I’m feeling less lazy later I’ll grab some gifs from both of our games this season

1 hour ago, thesouphead said:

So all in all, Matt threw 28 passes. He completed 23 of them.

1 of the incompletions was the ball Ridley dropped because he was afraid Luke was going to kill him. 1 incompletion was the INT when Ryan's arm was hit.  That leaves 3 incomplete balls for this board to complain about.  I might watch the game again tonight to see what those 3 passes were. 

On our 2nd drive, 2nd down Ryan to Julio under pressure is well defended by the DB. Ball goes off Julio’s hands as the DB turns him slightly as the ball got there. Good defensive play. Good ball placement. Would’ve been a sick catch.

Afterward was Ryan running for the first and having to miss the next set of downs 1st because of the brace.

Behind schedule now due to Schaub’s fumble of the snap, Hooper to make it closer on 3rd and 11.

Ryan drops back and releases from our own 30. Ball lands at the 15, about 3-4 yards ahead of Julio. If that was Julio last week clean he could’ve ran for it but indeed a slight overthrow. He had his man if Ryan reads there is some contact slowing him slightly, but that’s 55 yards in the air. Just over 51 would’ve been in Julio’s chest running.

You take the shot after the botched knee brace/Schaub snap fail.

I got no problems there.

8 minutes ago, thesouphead said:

He was hit in his throwing arm on that interception.  Horton literally hit his arm as he was throwing.  

Yeah, looking at the replay, I can definitely see that contact was made as Ryan was releasing the ball & I do recall thinking he got hit when I saw it live, but that doesn't explain the other two.

Honestly after looking back at the replay over & over, I'm not sure it tells the whole story on this one either. While there's no doubt the contact the defender made had some impact on the pass, it looks to me like Ryan was still intending to throw another high arcing deep ball like his previous attempts. The angle of his body, how far back he's bending, and the trajectory of his arm really make it seem to me like he was once again trying to bounce one off the jumbotron.

I don't think it's an arm strength thing because the ball is still traveling a good distance, but it really does seem like he's still a bit off on the deep stuff & that makes me wonder if it's possibly carry-over from last year.

I feel like I remember him saying he had changed his mechanics a bit following his MVP performance in 2016 & heading into last season. That's when I recall those shots (esp. the ones to Gabriel) where Ryan kept laying these long developing floater jump balls out there far more often than getting a lot of velocity on passes of that same distance & hitting guys in stride. It's almost as if he's trying to put too much touch on the deep ball or something.

I dunno. He just seems a little off to me.

4 hours ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

I hate Sark but anyone who can complain about his playcalling today is just blindly hating the guy. He did great. If Ryan hits Julio on that first deep pass we score 38 against one of the best defenses in the league. We ran it down their throats. We did whatever we wanted on them.

Those deep balls are killing me though. Everyone of them Matt has thrown has been way off target. Not necessarily underthrown but just horribly inaccurate. I know Julio can go get most throws but it looks like he just heaves up a prayer for him.

Ergo Proxy likes this

1 hour ago, thesouphead said:

How the heck are some of you not recognizing this???  You should be ashamed of yourselves for purposefully ignoring this fact.  How can some of you agenda-driven people not recognize that you lose ALL credibility if you refuse to be honest?  Are you just that low?  Or is it that you just don't care how your personal character is viewed by others?  

SkerFalcon8710 likes this

3 hours ago, dmo_dlo said:

Ryan was great but there is definitely something wrong with Ryan's arm. Those deep throws are not what you see from an NFL QB. 

Omfg 

people watch the replay

first deep ball either mack or levitre was planted right in ryans lap and he couldn’t step into it and it turned into a duck.

on the int hooper gets steam rolled and ryan has to let it fly while getting hit. Just ***** stop with this ryan can throw the ball crap.

the same crap happened in philly, matt had the LG shoved in his lap while releasing a ball. Id love to see anyone on the board do better without stepping into the throw right..

31 minutes ago, Dirtybird56 said:

Yep, Julio also had a step on the free play where the defender was offsides. Ryan’s throw ended up out of bounds, the accuracy on deep balls isn’t there. If I’m feeling less lazy later I’ll grab some gifs from both of our games this season

Make sure you grab the gifs where ryan is gettinf planted on the throws or his guards are literally in his lap upon release. Or are we gonna ignore those issues?

11 minutes ago, SkerFalcon8710 said:

Make sure you grab the gifs where ryan is gettinf planted on the throws or his guards are literally in his lap upon release. Or are we gonna ignore those issues?

His first throw deep in our 2nd drive was just an overthrow.

Later, on our 3rd drive it was LG into Ryan. He had no room to plant into the throw at all. When it was deemed time to let it rip by Ryan the LG is being skated into him. “Underthrown”.

So, first one I blame accuracy(not arm strength) and 2nd one is bad pocket collapse at the time of release. It happens.

Those 2 are correctable.

And if the INT was due to Ryan’s arm getting hit? That’s 2 of the 3 shots not connecting due to rush affecting the throw/not clean. The one Ryan could do over is not a reason to hate on Matt for yesterday and think it’s a good decision to abandon it.

You MUST make them respect it and take your shots; especially if you have a good run game to play action off of which we did yesterday. Even more reason to because it should help the pass protection. It did for the most part we just allowed pressure unfortunately on 2 of the 3 deep balls to Julio. Not usually a problem on of itself but it was the kind of pressure to affect the throw.

I’d rather Matt get a clean release than one that has the throw affected due to pressure.

SkerFalcon8710 likes this

2 hours ago, Dirtybird56 said:

I said after week 1 the only concern with Ryan should be his deep ball, and that’s still my only concern. We’re simply not hitting them at the rate needed at the league level, especially as a team with an elite talent in Jones. Julio is getting a step on these guys and Matt isn’t hitting him. Every throw has been underthrown except for 1 yesterday, but it looks like Matt is losing accuracy just trying to launch it out there. Even on the free play where he went deep, Julio once again got a step, and Ryan threw the ball out of bounds when he knew he had a free play, he just didn’t have the accuracy 

It’s only an issue to me because it was an issue all of last season, so it’s at the sample size big enough to warrant attention for me. Gotta get it figured out to return to a top 3 offense 

2016 Matt connected more deep passes than any QB in the league...so with that I'd say he is "league level" but for whatever reason he did have a lot of air under them yesterday. I'm confident if Julio puts extra time in with Matt they both can work the kinks out.