For those interested, Panthers starting offensive line

SamMills51

Good luck and hope for an injury free game today. Because lord knows last things we both need is more key injuries.

FAnyways, our offensive line was announced. I'll give some objective facts and my opinion will be in red.

This is the Panthers starting OL today:

• LT- Clark
  • LG- Van Roten
  • C- Kalil
  • RG- Larsen
  • RT- Moton

(Source)

Anyways, here's some facts mixed with my "homer" opinions.

LT Clark - Ron Rivera called him a "left-handed natural LT." That's what he used to describe Byron Bell as well, so take that with a grain of salt. Used to be part of the Broncos 2013 OL and his latest stint was with the Texans. PFF graded his pass blocking highly but his run blocking poorly.

He was literally signed less than a week ago, so my expectations are low. This is probably a weakness given he's been on the FA market for so long. Plus, Rivera's comments immediately make me think back to Byron Bell, so worried this could be Byron Bell 2.0. Takk McKinley should take advantage immediately.

LG Van Roten - Andrew Norwell's replacement. Rivera commented that Roten is "very consistent" over training camp and the preseason. Good run blocking grades.

I like him so far. Think he'll be a great starter there. While he's no Andrew Norwell, he's definitely no Silatolu either. 

C Ryan Kalil - Former Multi-year All-Pro and Pro-Bowler. Dealt with back injuries lately and a wealth of other issues. Getting up there in age. Played last week with a bad fever. Expected to retire next year.

He's no longer the pro-bowl All-Pro center he once was. His play is mediocre right now and he's been known to get pummeled lately. Perhaps last week was largely due to him being sick, but I just don't think he's elite anymore. He's more a liability than not and all he has going for him is more of a sympathetic start before he retires. I loved him in his prime, but he's lost that right now.

RG Tyler Larsen - Backup center. Has played across the line in plenty of cases. Looked solid when Ryan Kalil dealt with his many issues as of late. 

I think he's fine. The real key here is the fact Amini Silatolu is NOT starting, so that in it of itself is an upgrade over what could've been a disaster against Jarrett. However, I do expect a few pressures given I don't think we've seen much of Larsen as a guard and Jarrett is an elite DT, but it could've been a whole lot worse. 

RT Taylor Moton - Backup for any position on the line except center. Drafted in the 2nd round. Very athletic. Natural college position was right tackle. PFF graded him highly as a RT over the two preseasons he played. 

This I like. Taylor Moton was good at LT but he has far more experience at RT. I think he's a solid Daryl Williams replacement and probably would've been the future at RT had Daryl not exploded to the All-Pro he was last year. Of course, now he's expected to be the LT heir since Matt Kalil isn't doing hot, but even then still nice that he gets to play at his natural position for an allotted amount of time. 

His footwork has gotten a little choppy at times, so Vic Beasley may take advantage of that. Otherwise, pretty solid guy and the only guy on this offensive line I'm more confident in.

------

TL;DR - LT bad, LG good, C bad, RG mediocre but better than abysmal alternative with Silatolu, RT good.

Nice, thanks for sharing Sam. (You never come in here as that opposing fan with blind homerism, it's good to chat real football.)

This should be ... something ... today.

A makeshift O-line against a defense needing to find its identity after losing two of its superstars.

My instinct says that however the very first few plays go in that match-up is going to set the tone. Confidence and rhythm are paramount when working with a new line-up.

Here's to a good game, and please, for the love of God, NO MORE INJURIES.

Having a weapon like Cam opens up so many misdirection possibilities it almost negates the fact you guys have scrap heap for an o-line if the game script stays close. Have to get up on a big lead to make the offense more traditional and expose that line. We played Philly’s misdirection pretty average and it could only get worse with Deion out. Here’s to no injuries, good luck dealing with the loss ;)

Edited by Wjcorner

5 minutes ago, falconidae said:

So, a starting LT who was a FA Tuesday, 2 other Olinemen with 1 start each, and another guy with 15 starts, And Kalil didn't look good last week.

Going to be really disappointed if the Falcons front 4 doesn't feast today.

Can’t rush Cam the same way you rush other QBs.

Dont want to leave a bunch of open rush lanes.

2 hours ago, SamMills51 said:

Good luck and hope for an injury free game today. Because lord knows last things we both need is more key injuries.

FAnyways, our offensive line was announced. I'll give some objective facts and my opinion will be in red.

This is the Panthers starting OL today:

• LT- Clark
  • LG- Van Roten
  • C- Kalil
  • RG- Larsen
  • RT- Moton

(Source)

Anyways, here's some facts mixed with my "homer" opinions.

LT Clark - Ron Rivera called him a "left-handed natural LT." That's what he used to describe Byron Bell as well, so take that with a grain of salt. Used to be part of the Broncos 2013 OL and his latest stint was with the Texans. PFF graded his pass blocking highly but his run blocking poorly.

He was literally signed less than a week ago, so my expectations are low. This is probably a weakness given he's been on the FA market for so long. Plus, Rivera's comments immediately make me think back to Byron Bell, so worried this could be Byron Bell 2.0. Takk McKinley should take advantage immediately.

LG Van Roten - Andrew Norwell's replacement. Rivera commented that Roten is "very consistent" over training camp and the preseason. Good run blocking grades.

I like him so far. Think he'll be a great starter there. While he's no Andrew Norwell, he's definitely no Silatolu either. 

C Ryan Kalil - Former Multi-year All-Pro and Pro-Bowler. Dealt with back injuries lately and a wealth of other issues. Getting up there in age. Played last week with a bad fever. Expected to retire next year.

He's no longer the pro-bowl All-Pro center he once was. His play is mediocre right now and he's been known to get pummeled lately. Perhaps last week was largely due to him being sick, but I just don't think he's elite anymore. He's more a liability than not and all he has going for him is more of a sympathetic start before he retires. I loved him in his prime, but he's lost that right now.

RG Tyler Larsen - Backup center. Has played across the line in plenty of cases. Looked solid when Ryan Kalil dealt with his many issues as of late. 

I think he's fine. The real key here is the fact Amini Silatolu is NOT starting, so that in it of itself is an upgrade over what could've been a disaster against Jarrett. However, I do expect a few pressures given I don't think we've seen much of Larsen as a guard and Jarrett is an elite DT, but it could've been a whole lot worse. 

RT Taylor Moton - Backup for any position on the line except center. Drafted in the 2nd round. Very athletic. Natural college position was right tackle. PFF graded him highly as a RT over the two preseasons he played. 

This I like. Taylor Moton was good at LT but he has far more experience at RT. I think he's a solid Daryl Williams replacement and probably would've been the future at RT had Daryl not exploded to the All-Pro he was last year. Of course, now he's expected to be the LT heir since Matt Kalil isn't doing hot, but even then still nice that he gets to play at his natural position for an allotted amount of time. 

His footwork has gotten a little choppy at times, so Vic Beasley may take advantage of that. Otherwise, pretty solid guy and the only guy on this offensive line I'm more confident in.

------

TL;DR - LT bad, LG good, C bad, RG mediocre but better than abysmal alternative with Silatolu, RT good.

I really could careless about the Panthers oline. Not my problem. I hope these scruba get punk whooped.