A look at how Dan Quinn has quietly dominated the NFC

fuego

Although the Falcons took an ugly loss to the Eagles, Dan Quinn has been surprisingly great against the rest of the NFC.

The Atlanta Falcons under Dan Quinn have made the playoffs the last two seasons and looks to do so again for a third consecutive time in four seasons.

One underrated aspect of Quinn’s success has been his ability to beat conference opponents. The National Football Conference (NFC) is stacked this year with so many teams who can make a legit argument for winning the conference. One thing that stands out has been the fact that the Falcons are the only team in 2017 to make the playoffs in 2016.

As a matter of fact, the numbers look even more impressive when you consider, the Falcons three NFC loses in 2017 were by a combined 18 points and each loss came against a playoff team.

This year the Falcons have added even more talent on both sides of the ball and have invested a ton of resources into the special teams unit. With a coach who has had success winning in conference, you can rest assure the Falcons will be competitive this season. If history serves us correct, Quinn should once again be at least 9-3 against the conference and with the team playing the AFC North this year, a 12-4 record seems very possible.

QUINN NFC
SOUTH
NFC
NON SOUTH
NFC
TOTAL
NFC
GP
AFC AFC
GP
RECORD TOTAL
GP
PLAYOFFS PLAYOFF
GP
  W L W L W L   W L   W L   W L  
2015 1 5 4 2 5 7 12 3 1 4 8 8 16 0 0 0
2016 5 1 4 2 9 3 12 2 2 4 11 5 16 2 1 3
2017 4 2 5 1 9 3 12 1 3 4 10 6 16 1 1 2

TOTAL 10 8 13 5 23 13 36 6 6 12 29 19 48 3 2 5

WIN PERCENTAGE
            63.9%     50.0%     60.4%     60.0%

For comparison I have created a chart for New Orleans Saint’s Head Coach, Sean Payton. Even though Quinn has a much smaller sample size, he is already outpacing Payton in terms of NFC wins and loses. Payton after 3 years averaged 6.6 wins and 5.3 loses while Quinn has averaged 7.6 wins and 4.3 loses.

PAYTON NFC
SOUTH
NFC
NON SOUTH
NFC
TOTAL
NFC
GP
AFC AFC
GP
RECORD TOTAL
GP
PLAYOFFS PLAYOFF
GP
  W L W L W L   W L   W L   W L  
2006 4 2 5 1 9 3 12 1 3 4 10 6 16 1 1 2
2007 3 3 3 3 6 6 12 1 3 4 7 9 16 0 0 0
2008 2 4 3 3 5 7 12 3 1 4 8 8 16 0 0 0
2009 4 2 5 1 9 3 12 4 0 4 13 3 16 3 0 3
2010 4 2 5 1 9 3 12 2 2 4 11 5 16 0 1 1
2011 5 1 4 2 9 3 12 4 0 4 13 3 16 1 1 2
2012 3 3 2 4 5 7 12 2 2 4 7 9 16 0 0 0
2013 5 1 4 2 9 3 12 2 2 4 11 5 16 1 1 2
2014 3 3 3 3 6 6 12 1 3 4 7 9 16 0 0 0
2015 3 3 2 4 5 7 12 2 2 4 7 9 16 0 0 0
2016 2 4 4 2 6 6 12 1 3 4 7 9 16 0 0 0
2017 4 2 4 2 8 4 12 3 1 4 11 5 16 1 1 2
TOTAL 42 30 44 28 86 58 144 26 22 48 112 80 192 7 5 12

WIN PERCENTAGE
            59.7%     54.2%     58.3%     58.3%

Every team plays 12 conference (6 division) games and 4 non conference games. If you can win conference games, your team has a strong shot at making the playoffs. Quinn has the roster posed to do the same thing again in 2018.

https://bloggingdirty.com/2018/09/07/look-dan-quinn-quietly-dominated-nfc/

The only teams in the NFC I can think of that gives us problems are the Eagles and the Vikings. But even then we could have won against the Eagles, just did not finish it. We all realize this team has a ways to go before it reaches its potential but let's keep some hope. I think once the offense finds its groove, we will be rolling. At some point, Debo will be back and boom, anything can happen

I get that someone will complain about how we haven't won a Super Bowl so it doesn't matter, but if playing 5 playoff games over the last two seasons including a trip to the Super Bowl isn't relevant or making noise, I don't know what is.  

Only back to back playoff team in the NFC.

I get things haven't gone as planned and the high expectations that many have carried into the last two seasons haven't been fulfilled.  If a person visited this mb without knowledge of the recent state of the Atlanta Falcons they would walk away thinking we are the Cleveland Browns.

Yes we all want a Super Bowl win.  Does that mean we have to act like Eyeore every time things don't go as expected?  Some of you must have some pretty miserable lives if every little thing gets you this down this easily.

Dan Quinn, for the most part, has taken care of business where it matters most, inside the conference.  The reason we made the playoffs last year is specifically because we beat ALL 3 of the 9-7 NFC teams head to head, hence beat them out for the final playoff spot.

In the back of my mind I keep hearing 28-3. We were aggressive that is who we are! We worked all off season on the redzone issues. We need to fix our unforced errors. Its going to be a fight till the end. We need to execute better. We need to be better in short yardage. 

I don't mind being aggressive as long as you win more than the ones you lose. I know the Falcons won't put up 6 every time they are in the redzone. I can handle a few mistakes in a game. I understand every player will not always catch every ball every game. 

Its just hard to watch every game and see a repeat of the same issues still showing up. I am tired of the talk. I feel like we are watching the local weather broadcast. As we hear the words coming out of his mouth saying its going to get better and things will get cleared up. 

Then sure enough after all the words of wisdom. The storm hits and just washes all hope back out the window. :( Talk is just talk can we see some action?

1 hour ago, Stray Dog THA GAWD said:

Not saying its not important, but if you're only quietly dominating your conference, it must be because you're not making any noise in the playoffs.

That's literally the opposite of what the article says, since we're the only NFC team to make the playoffs the last two years, won at least one game each time, and represented the NFC in the Super Bowl once.

This might make sense with Mike Smith teams, but it doesn't make sense here.

Y'all are gonna miss Quinn when he's gone.

Interesting article, but not sure why everyone refers to the Eagles loss as ugly. Could we have won? Yes. Should we have won? Yes. But we lost to the Super Bowl champs on the road when we were the underdog. If our loss was ugly, then what do they call the Saints loss? They were blown out at home by the Bucs who were starting their back-up who is the definition of a journeyman. 

2 hours ago, Stray Dog THA GAWD said:

Not saying its not important, but if you're only quietly dominating your conference, it must be because you're not making any noise in the playoffs.

Yeah right...no sense in taking pride in anything positive that we have accomplished...if you don't hold the Lombardi up in February, it's all meaningless...

13 minutes ago, Stray Dog THA GAWD said:

No purple needed.

With all due respect, sir...the purple isn't BOLD enough...

Although I want a Lombardi as bad - probably worse - than you do, I've been around long enough to appreciate what DQ and my team have achieved here in his relatively short tenure.  We are a competitive team that is in a totally different stratosphere compared to the days of Smittyball, Pigtrino, Jimmy Mora, Dan Reeves (who I still respect and admire), June Jones, Jerry Glanvenerealdisease, Jim Hannifan, Swamp Fox (twice), Dan Henning, Leeman Bennett, or Norm Van Brocklin...

In 3 seasons with 48 games under his belt, he has the highest winning percentage (.604), tied for # of playoff games (5 with Smitty & Reeves) and playoff wins (3 with Reeves).

So, I ask...who you got that's a better option for us right now???

Just now, Jumpin Jehosaphat said:

With all due respect, sir...the purple isn't BOLD enough...

Although I want a Lombardi as bad - probably worse - than you do, I've been around long enough to appreciate what DQ and my team have achieved here in his relatively short tenure.  We are a competitive team that is in a totally different stratosphere compared to the days of Smittyball, Pigtrino, Jimmy Mora, Dan Reeves (who I still respect and admire), June Jones, Jerry Glanvenerealdisease, Jim Hannifan, Swamp Fox (twice), Dan Henning, Leeman Bennett, or Norm Van Brocklin...

In 3 seasons with 48 games under his belt, he has the highest winning percentage (.604), tied for # of playoff games (5 with Smitty & Reeves) and playoff wins (3 with Reeves).

So, I ask...who you got that's a better option for us right now???

We were just as grateful about Smitty getting us back-to-back winning seasons at first, and then he became a pariah too because of bone-headed decisions in crunchtime.  If Quinn doesn't win us a SB, he'll be no different than the rest in the only category that matters.

As far as better options, I'll take whichever coach has the common sense to run the clock with a 25-point lead in the Superbowl.

1 minute ago, Stray Dog THA GAWD said:

As far as better options, I'll take whichever coach has the common sense to run the clock with a 25-point lead in the Superbowl.

Couldn't agree with you more on that part, my friend...but I still respectfully assert that we are talking about a head coach that has accomplished much in only 3 seasons with a franchise that has a very morbid history of "coaches" that provided little to no optimism for success...I'm just saying give the man a reasonable amount of time before you cast him off to oblivion (or to a rival's team as DC who eats our lunch year after year) and count your blessings...#immediategratification

1 minute ago, Jumpin Jehosaphat said:

Couldn't agree with you more on that part, my friend...but I still respectfully assert that we are talking about a head coach that has accomplished much in only 3 seasons with a franchise that has a very morbid history of "coaches" that provided little to no optimism for success...I'm just saying give the man a reasonable amount of time before you cast him off to oblivion (or to a rival's team as DC who eats our lunch year after year) and count your blessings...#immediategratification

Fair enough, but I'd say that the bar was low for any coach to come in here and do better than the coaches you listed :lol:

We'll see how long a reasonable amount of time will be, but if he embarrasses the owner, team, and city again like that, he may get run the heII out of town.

3 minutes ago, Stray Dog THA GAWD said:

Fair enough, but I'd say that the bar was low for any coach to come in here and do better than the coaches you listed :lol:

#1 - Those coaches I listed are all of the actual morbid history that I was referring to above...those were not culled from a portion of coaches who had more success than DQ - that's all we have had, period

#2 - You just helped me make my point - thank you!!

Just now, Jumpin Jehosaphat said:

#1 - Those coaches I listed are all of the actual morbid history that I was referring to above...those were not culled from a portion of coaches who had more success than DQ - that's all we have had, period

#2 - You just helped me make my point - thank you!!

My point is the fact that he performed better than all of our old terrible coaches isn't saying much.