New iPhone and Apple Watch in less than two hours...

Anyone else watching the keynote?

Even though I’m still using the iPhone 7 Plus, I don’t think that I’ll be immediately upgrading this cycle.

The new Apple Watch, on the other hand, looks like it’s getting a redesign.  Large screen, confirmed sizes are now 40mm and 42mm (old ones were 38-40mm).  And the image that leaked from Apple shows a UV measurement on its face, suggesting some new health monitoring included.  Also faster processor that might go to 64 bit.  That’s what I might end up getting soon after announcement.

Looks like iPads and Macs won’t make the announcement, which almost guarantees an October event as well.  But new Airpods and power mat are definite possibilities.

Possibility for a surprise new product to be announced, as well.  Not as stoked about this one as in past years...I’m mostly interested in the new watches and new ipads, especially a new Apple Pencil.  But hey, it’s new Apple stuff for us cultists.  

1 minute ago, JDaveG said:

I might upgrade the watch next year and give this one to my middle daughter to use when she runs.

I'm not going to upgrade early though.  And the biggest thing I'd like to see is better watch faces.  I'm convinced Apple can do better than this.

On the watch faces, any new ones should be available through the new Watch OS.  

The only limitation will be watch face features that take advantage of the larger screen. But the others should be compatible...that’s just a software thing.  

Just now, Leon Troutsky said:

On the watch faces, any new ones should be available through the new Watch OS.  

The only limitation will be watch face features that take advantage of the larger screen. But the others should be compatible...that’s just a software thing.  

Yeah, I'm more talking about design than function.  I have very few of them that I like and use.  Some of them that might otherwise be most useful are downright gaudy.  Apple is usually better about that.

23 minutes ago, Leon Troutsky said:

Anyone else watching the keynote?

Even though I’m still using the iPhone 7 Plus, I don’t think that I’ll be immediately upgrading this cycle.

The new Apple Watch, on the other hand, looks like it’s getting a redesign.  Large screen, confirmed sizes are now 40mm and 42mm (old ones were 38-40mm).  And the image that leaked from Apple shows a UV measurement on its face, suggesting some new health monitoring included.  Also faster processor that might go to 64 bit.  That’s what I might end up getting soon after announcement.

Looks like iPads and Macs won’t make the announcement, which almost guarantees an October event as well.  But new Airpods and power mat are definite possibilities.

Possibility for a surprise new product to be announced, as well.  Not as stoked about this one as in past years...I’m mostly interested in the new watches and new ipads, especially a new Apple Pencil.  But hey, it’s new Apple stuff for us cultists.  

I have seen tattoo artists draw on iPad Pros in the past and it looked like the pencil worked really well.  I have heard that the same can be done now with just a regular iPad. Any of you guys draw with your iPads? 

13 minutes ago, SpongeDad said:

I haven't wore a watch in years. I use my phone for time. But lately I've been thinking about buying on. Are the Apple watches durable or are they made for cafe typing for kids like Wor?

Mine has been great. I don't really abuse it, but I wear it all the time -- cutting wood, mowing, working on the house, working in the yard.  It's got the tiniest little scuff on the bottom edge of the face, but otherwise still looks like new.

You aren't going to want to drop weights or bricks on it or bang it into metal or step on it.  It's not "durable" in that sense.  It's more fragile than, say, a Timex Ironman, or even my Seiko automatic.  But it's more durable than you'd think for what I put it through.

52 minutes ago, thesouphead said:

I have seen tattoo artists draw on iPad Pros in the past and it looked like the pencil worked really well.  I have heard that the same can be done now with just a regular iPad. Any of you guys draw with your iPads? 

Oh yeah, I draw all the time with the Pencil and it is unbelievable.  It has pressure controls that make it work (at least in apps that support it) like a real pen or pencil...push down harder for bolder lines, lighter for softer lines.  You can even tilt the pencil on its side and make wide, charcoal looking marks.  (Think about taking a real pencil, turning it on its side, and rubbing it on paper...that’s exactly what it looks like.)

And yeah, it now works on the regular iPad, but ONLY the brand new one they released this year.  In other words, you can’t go grab an iPad Air 2 and use the pencil on it.  It requires a special screen for it to work, and right now it’s only on the latest regular iPad and all of the iPad Pro’s.  

Also, about the pencil, the battery life is great on it plus it charges very quickly.  The only problem is that you charge it by sticking it in the lightning port of the iPad.  So for the 20-30 minutes you charge it (from zero to full), you have this pencil sticking out hte side of your ipad.  It’s as awkward and goofy as you’d think.

Just now, Leon Troutsky said:

Also, about the pencil, the battery life is great on it plus it charges very quickly.  The only problem is that you charge it by sticking it in the lightning port of the iPad.  So for the 20-30 minutes you charge it (from zero to full), you have this pencil sticking out hte side of your ipad.  It’s as awkward and goofy as you’d think.

You could just use the included adapter and plug it into a lighting cable and run it to either a USB port on your computer or to the wall outlet. Doesn’t have to be sticking out of your iPad. 

5 minutes ago, Porkins said:

You could just use the included adapter and plug it into a lighting cable and run it to either a USB port on your computer or to the wall outlet. Doesn’t have to be sticking out of your iPad. 

Yeah, but it’s so small that I lost mine.  Besides, it’s just for 20-30 minutes, tops.

56 minutes ago, thesouphead said:

What are the better drawing apps? 

Is there an Adobe Illustrator type app for the iPad?   I've never done any graphic work on my old iPad...pretty much only use it for Traktor. 

Adobe has a full line of iOS apps.  But there’s also sketchbook pro, procreate, and others.  I mostly use sketchbook, often use procreate, and sometimes use Paper by 53.  All depends on what you want to do.  You can get set up with 3-4 apps and all upgrades (in-app purchases) for less than $40-50.  

2 minutes ago, Leon Troutsky said:

Adobe has a full line of iOS apps.  But there’s also sketchbook pro, procreate, and others.  I mostly use sketchbook, often use procreate, and sometimes use Paper by 53.  All depends on what you want to do.  You can get set up with 3-4 apps and all upgrades (in-app purchases) for less than $40-50.  

Right on...I need to check those out. 

On 9/12/2018 at 10:37 AM, JDaveG said:

I might upgrade the watch next year and give this one to my middle daughter to use when she runs.

I'm not going to upgrade early though.  And the biggest thing I'd like to see is better watch faces.  I'm convinced Apple can do better than this.

What is a good entry level apple watch for my wife?  She probably wouldn't use it for a tenth of what it was designed for, so it doesn't have to have all the bells and whistles.  

8 minutes ago, notthatcool said:

What is a good entry level apple watch for my wife?  She probably wouldn't use it for a tenth of what it was designed for, so it doesn't have to have all the bells and whistles.  

Other than what I'm going to say about my own experience, I'm going to defer to @Leon Troutsky on this.  I only have experience with the Series 3 with cellular.  

I'll say this though -- if she's not going to be running or using it as a phone much, you can do everything with the standard GPS model you can with the cellular model.  The cellular one is mainly beneficial if you're leaving the phone behind.  Nearly always, I have my phone with me with the sole exception of running.  But when I'm running, if I have a medical emergency, or I'm with my daughter and someone is bothering us, I don't want to be without that lifeline.

If not for that, I wouldn't have bothered with the cellular features.  You can still make and accept calls on the watch once you sync it to the phone, provided you are near the phone.

What I don't know is whether you're better off with an older generation.  At the very least, I'd wait until the Series 4 is released (I think it's tomorrow) and get the Series 3 at reduced pricing.  I'm not sure which older models they'll be offering anymore with the update.  You can still get the Series 1 at Best Buy, but I'd seriously spring for the Series 3 before I'd pay $280 for ancient technology.

1 hour ago, JDaveG said:

Other than what I'm going to say about my own experience, I'm going to defer to @Leon Troutsky on this.  I only have experience with the Series 3 with cellular.  

I'll say this though -- if she's not going to be running or using it as a phone much, you can do everything with the standard GPS model you can with the cellular model.  The cellular one is mainly beneficial if you're leaving the phone behind.  Nearly always, I have my phone with me with the sole exception of running.  But when I'm running, if I have a medical emergency, or I'm with my daughter and someone is bothering us, I don't want to be without that lifeline.

If not for that, I wouldn't have bothered with the cellular features.  You can still make and accept calls on the watch once you sync it to the phone, provided you are near the phone.

What I don't know is whether you're better off with an older generation.  At the very least, I'd wait until the Series 4 is released (I think it's tomorrow) and get the Series 3 at reduced pricing.  I'm not sure which older models they'll be offering anymore with the update.  You can still get the Series 1 at Best Buy, but I'd seriously spring for the Series 3 before I'd pay $280 for ancient technology.

So I only had the Series 1 and it didn't have cellular or GPS on it.  And I still loved it.

I'm definitely buying a new Series 4 (released yesterday...hence this thread), but only with GPS.  For me, the places where I go where something like that would be helpful...well...I don't get cell coverage there.  And I don't want to pay $10 a month for the data.  So the cellular isn't for me.  

The new watch (Series 4) has some pretty significant upgrades.  It has a bigger screen, it's 64-bit dual core processor so it's a lot faster, and it has a UV detector to help with sun exposure.  It also has some new, updated sensors to detect when you have taken a hard fall and automatically offers to call 911 for you.  If you don't respond within a minute, it will call 911 automatically.  

If the $400-430 price tag is a bit much, then look at a Series 2 or Series 3.  The only difference between those two is going to be speed.  And the updated speed is indeed significant, but ultimately it's only about apps and info loading quicker.  The speed is especially nice when you're using navigation on your phone.  

I rarely made calls on the watch, but I would always use the watch to see who was calling (and sometimes answer using my airpods) and to check messages.  

The health stuff is where the watch shines.  And yeah, the updated sensors and heart rate monitor (the new series is FDA-approved to detect afib, for example) are almost certainly worth the price of the newest versus an older edition.  But again, it all depends on what you use it for.

1 hour ago, ATLBrave said:

With the nice price drop on the series 3, I’d say that’s definitely the way to go. As for the cellular, I got it on my 3, but have yet to ever sign up for it and still use mine all of the time. Even with it, kinda shows me how little I go without my phone. 

That depends, actually.  Did you check out the new series 4 released yesterday?  It's the most significant upgrade since the first watch was released.  There's a lot more in the new version that, for me, is probably worth the extra money.  

3 minutes ago, Dago 3.0 said:

guess I am old fashioned....I just prefer an old school analog watch

almost pulled the trigger on a Huawei smart watch at one time but I like watches that are a bit unique like Original Grain and Wittnauer

I did too (though I had a boring Seiko SKX007).

@Leon Troutsky convinced me to give it a look and I'm glad I did.  It's annoying if you don't manage notifications -- the **** thing is always buzzing about something.  But it tracks health information and exercise information better than anything I've found.  That's the main reason I got one, and I'm glad I did.