Just a few key notes

So just heard Debo does have a broken foot (didn't know exactly what the injury was) and Falcons have the oldest starting Oline in the nfc south.. Which by history tells it usually starts being ineffective with age.. Got both of these info tidbits from AJC this morning.. 

So at best, we get Debos broken foot healed up, that he somehow broke in Philly, next do we need to start thinking about getting our Oline younger? 

18 minutes ago, SkerFalcon8710 said:

I was being sarcastic.. what worries me is i cant tell if you guys are also being sarcastic? This thread is not gonna end well

Don’t joke like that.

i wasn’t 

Ever since Julio’s broken foot Jones fractures scare me.

They went the extra mile with Julio because his history from the combine.

One thing is concerning. If it was a simple break then why did they need more tests?  You should be able to see a simple break in an x-ray

35 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

Don’t joke like that.

i wasn’t 

One thing is concerning. If it was a simple break then why did they need more tests?  You should be able to see a simple break in an x-ray

Could be wrong, but I’m pretty sure I’ve seen in some hospital show that sometimes you need an X-Ray after the first because the swelling can mask a fracture. Again, can’t even remember if that was the case, and it’s coming from TV lol

I totally agree Shrader has looked like a mess to me ever since the 2016 season. The LG needs an upgrade sooner rather than later, maybe Wes can step in and be productive even though he was mainly an RG, not sure how much that would differ for his play switching guard positions. Finally, we need to draft a Center to groom while Mack is still here, and I mean the best C they can find, draft him in the 1st if you have to. I think these moves should solidify our Lines. We might already have a few pieces in place like others have stated with Wes and Gono, although I am not sure just how good Gono would look like against the 1's. 

Honestly Id be happy if they made the switch sometime this season to Wes and Gono. 

2 hours ago, ⚡Slumerican⚡ said:

So just heard Debo does have a broken foot (didn't know exactly what the injury was) and Falcons have the oldest starting Oline in the nfc south.. Which by history tells it usually starts being ineffective with age.. Got both of these info tidbits from AJC this morning.. 

So at best, we get Debos broken foot healed up, that he somehow broke in Philly, next do we need to start thinking about getting our Oline younger? 

lol at the bold. 

wut. 

1 hour ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

Don’t joke like that.

i wasn’t 

Exactly.

x-ray is the first and easiest test, why the supposed initial optimism and extra tests / delay if it's something simple. 

1 hour ago, Wjcorner said:

Could be wrong, but I’m pretty sure I’ve seen in some hospital show that sometimes you need an X-Ray after the first because the swelling can mask a fracture. Again, can’t even remember if that was the case, and it’s coming from TV lol

Hopefully it's something as simple as this.

2 minutes ago, ⚡Slumerican⚡ said:

That was taken from the article, not my quote..said our Oline age was 150, the average in the nfc south was like 130..combined our Oline is 20 years older than other nfc south olines

Okay....and where does that get even close to a qualitative judgment? 

If anything, the current state of OL play would suggest you're much better off with an OL of veterans than young players....

36 minutes ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

lol at the bold. 

wut. 

1. CLAYTON’S THEORY OF 150: History suggests the Falcons’ offensive line is on the verge of collapse or at least decline under the “Theory of 150” concept.

The Washington Post’s John Clayton, formerly of ESPN, stumbled on this concept back in 2007 when talking to then Chicago Bears general manager Jerry Angelo. 

The Bears, coming off a trip to the Super Bowl, felt it didn’t make sense to bust up their line in 2007 and keep them together for another year.  

ADVERTISING

The total age of the line was 159 years. They gave up 43 sacks and the run game average just 3.1 yards per career.  Time in the trenches caught up to that group.

3 minutes ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

Okay....and where does that get even close to a qualitative judgment? 

If anything, the current state of OL play would suggest you're much better off with an OL of veterans than young players....

Since, other teams have proven that the theory has some merit. The 2008 Redskins (158) and the 2009 Cowboys (157).

Also, the 2011 Pro Football Focus ratings of offensive lines, three of the six lowest were “Theory of 150” lines: Bears (32nd), Giants (31st) and Redskins (27th).

Under this theory, you add up the ages of the offensive linemen and history has shown several instances of team with a plus-150 number, start to fall apart and become ineffective.

The Falcons are at the magic number of 150. 

Jake Matthews (26, Feb. 11, 1992), Andy Levitre (32, May 15, 1986), Alex Mack (32, Nov. 19, 1985), Brandon Fusco (July 26, 1988) and Ryan Schraeder (May 4, 1988).

Under Clayton’s theory, the clock is ticking on the remaining success of this line.

The group didn’t have a good opening night against the Eagles as quarterback Matt Ryan was sacked four times and hit 13 times. Running backs Devonta Freeman and Tevin Coleman rushed 15 times for 55 yards (3.6 yards per carry). 

The smallish cut-blocking line is designed for the outside-zone system, but couldn’t get Freeman into the end zone from a yard out two times against the Eagles. Coleman did score on a 9-yard run. 

The Falcons want to have better run-pass balance to help the line out. 

“We’ll make sure each and every week, often times there can be a game that can get out of whack, this wasn’t one of them from a run-pass number,” Quinn said. “First and second-down, having that balance helps the offensive line, helps the run game, and those two things marry so well together.” 

Fusco, who was signed in free agency, beat out Wes Schweitzer (24) for the right guard spot.

“I thought in the first game, the protection part, that part of his game is one of the best things that he does,” Quinn said. “I thought looking at him, I thought it was a good performance from a pass protection side.

“Was there stuff for all of us to clean up? One hundred. But I thought for his first game against some good matchups, he held his own for sure.”

The Falcons started the oldest line of the NFC South teams in Week 1.

The Panthers -- Taylor Moton (24), Greg Van Roten (28), Ryan Kalil (33), Trai Turner 25) and Daryl Williams (26) – are 136.

The Bucs – Donovan Smith (25), Ali Marpet (25), Ryan Jensen (27), Caleb Benenoch (24) and Demar Dotson (32 – are 133.

The Saints started the youngest line of the NFC South teams with a total age of 129. Terron Armstead (27), Josh LeRibeus (29) Max Unger (22), Larry Warford (27) and Ryan Ramczyk (24) started in the Saints’ 48-40 loss to the Bucs. 

The Falcons will have a chance get younger next year. Levitre is in the last year of his contract. Mack and Schraeder are signed through 2021. Fusco is signed through 2020 and Matthews is signed through 2023. 

The Falcons have to hope Schweitzer continues to develop along with Sean Harlow (23), who’s on the practice squad.

Tackle Ty Sambralio (26), tackle Matt Gono (22) and guard Ben Garland (30) are the other linemen on the 53-man roster.

Tackle Daniel Brunskill (24) and center/guard J.C. Hassennauer (24) are on the practice squad.

The line has also contributed to the team’s red zone woes.

“I’m just trying to execute the plays as I best I can,” Levitre said. “My mentality for that is not where we are at on the field, it’s just getting the job done each play.”

The Falcons hope to jump-start the run game against Carolina on Sunday at 1 p.m at Mercedes-Benz Stadium, which held Dallas Ezekiel Elliot to 69 yards on rushing on 15 carries.

“We just have to be effective early,” Levitre said. “They have a good front. Just staying on guys and giving the backs a chance to hit it and make some plays. Those guys are well and capable of doing that. Just giving them those opportunities.”

The Panthers’ pass rush amassed six sacks and 10 quarterback hits against the Cowboys. 

“Yeah, they have big front,” Levitre said. “We know we have some things to work on from last week. It’s going to be a big preparation (week) for us to make some changes, fix those issues that we had last week.”