lostnmexico

Here are some options at MLB for Atlanta:

44 posts in this topic

Brian Cushing

Cushing’s days of being a dominant inside linebacker are probably over. His injury history along with his history of PED use probably won’t help him find a team unless someone has a starter go down. The Texans defense has done just fine without him. He still can provide some value, and can still be a solid run-stuffing option

Lawrence Timmons

Timmons is one of those inside linebackers who aren’t strong enough in pass coverage to merit a starting role. His age makes him more expensive than a cheap young undrafted free agent who may be more versatile.

His disappearance from the Dolphins last year also creates a lot more questions. He may not be worth the trouble unless he’s on a team with real Super Bowl aspirations.

Navorro Bowman

Bowman is a victim of a horrific injury where he never regained his form. It happens in the NFL pretty often. He’s a strong character guy and good leader for a defense that may be full of younger players.

He’s spent the entirety of his career in the Bay Area. He may need to leave San Francisco/Oakland to find a new team. He was part of a dominant defense in San Francisco when Jim Harbaugh was still the coach. Someone out there will need his leadership eventually.

Michael Wilhoite

Wilhoite is another former Niner. He played last season in Seattle and probably isn’t on their team due to the youth movement in the Pacific Northwest.

He didn’t get much of a shot on the field last year either, so he could argue he’s fresh and ready to help whatever next team takes a shot on him.

Tim Mazetti likes this

I see a heck of a lot of zone and less m2m schemes...with this comes TE drags across the middle and quick hits all the way down the field! 

I have a feeling with Riley and others just joining the team, it’s going to look like an arcade/pinball game! 

If my info is right, the birds have around 7m in cap space to use this year!  Gotta feeling now, going to go cheap and leave the available big names alone!! 

Now I have to plan an extra package store trip every week now! 

They are all old and slow now. Timmons has to be in list mid to late 30s.

a lot more Nickel defense and pray Riley figures it out.

3 minutes ago, CrimsonFalcon said:

I'm not opposed to Spoon, even though I wasn't a huge fan.  He AT LEAST KNOWS THE DEFENSE...

Yeah, that's my point.  Out of those corpses, gimme the corpse I at least loved at one point hah.

Ergo Proxy likes this

Just now, athell said:

Yeah, that's my point.  Out of those corpses, gimme the corpse I at least loved at one point hah.

I'm more worried about the knowledge of the defense.  That's the thing about Quinn's defense is that it is designed so that there is less thinking and more reacting.  People are overlooking that point when wanting Navarro.

Ergo Proxy and athell like this

47 minutes ago, Tim Mazetti said:

Looks like the Falcons' will have to change the D strategy some to compensate for the loss of Debo.

Yeppers. Just like Quinn had to do when Trufant went down. If I remember correctly, we went to the SB that year. 

athell, Tim Mazetti and Ergo Proxy like this

13 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Yeppers. Just like Quinn had to do when Trufant went down. If I remember correctly, we went to the SB that year. 

Dammit, this a team that can win under these circumstances.

No victims need apply.:

Just need the O to perform.

Ergo Proxy, Vandy and citsalp like this

26 minutes ago, Vandy said:

I agree all is not lost. That said, Neal and Jones are both individually more important to this defense than Trufant was.

I'm looking to the offense to produce more going forward. I do think Quinn was intentionally asking the offense to play at a slower pace. I think he will relax that restriction under these conditions. Just a touch more tempo could help resolve some of the errors in execution we have been seeing on offense the last 17 games. We don't have to play fast. We never did under Shanahan. That said, to play unnaturally slow invites dumb mistakes. It is similar to a the situation in baseball where more errors are committed behind slow working pitchers. You don't have to go wide open...just don't make the team stand around at the line and wait until the play clock hits 8 to start the motion and such. It has actually been pretty silly. Outside of the two minute drill, you see a lot of 0s and 1s on the play clock with the Falcons snap the ball. They are going for that drive they opened the second half of the Rams playoff game with on every possession. I just think it is hard for an offense to consistently hang out in their stances at the LoS and execute at a high level. 

Tim Mazetti and Vandy like this

Duke at MLB and Foye to cover whichever side Campbell isn’t.

Lets go. The irony if Duke bails us out at all.

Deion has to miss at least 7 games + the bye week. I wonder what the injury is?

Vandy likes this

5 minutes ago, falcndave said:

I agree all is not lost. That said, Neal and Jones are both individually more important to this defense than Trufant was.

I'm looking to the offense to produce more going forward. I do think Quinn was intentionally asking the offense to play at a slower pace. I think he will relax that restriction under these conditions. Just a touch more tempo could help resolve some of the errors in execution we have been seeing on offense the last 17 games. We don't have to play fast. We never did under Shanahan. That said, to play unnaturally slow invites dumb mistakes. It is similar to a the situation in baseball where more errors are committed behind slow working pictures. You don't have to go wide open...just don't make the team stand around at the line and wait until the play clock hits 8 to start the motion and such. It has actually been pretty silly. Outside of the two minute drill, you see a lot of 0s and 1s on the play clock with the Falcons snap the ball. They are going for that drive they opened the second half of the Rams playoff game with on every possession. I just think it is hard for an offense to consistently hang out in their stances at the LoS and execute at a high level. 

But when Tru went down, nobody thought they were more important than Trufant was.. and everyone had questions about Collins. Yet the D stepped up. 

Interesting thinking on the offense’s slow tempo. I still think it was more philly’s D, but you may be on to something there. 

Ergo Proxy likes this

Such a faithless lot. At least give Foye and Duke a a chance to fail. If you’re gonna let the offensive woes rob you of a season ago why stop after week 1 from 2 IR moves on D?

Debo could come back to help put our D over the top in critical road games down the stretch. There is a reason he wasn’t IR’d without return designation.

CrimsonFalcon likes this