Week 1 - Total Helmet Rule Penalties

athell

Lots of people were doom and gloomin' this new helmet rule, talkin' about how it was going to be the end of football, etc. etc.  In week 1 of this NFL season, the new helmet rule was called a total of *drum roll*...

ONE TIME

I am much more concerned about how you apparently cannot sack the QB any longer without getting flagged...the helmet rule, like a bunch of stuff here, was much ado about nothing. 

3 minutes ago, Duff_Man said:

Football: Ruined.

RIP

1 minute ago, Road Warrior said:

The way they called it during the preseason was total BS and I think they got the message.... 

Yeah, I think enough people complained during the preseason to warrant a change.  I also think defenders let up a lot more than usual from what I saw yesterday.

2 minutes ago, Road Warrior said:

The way they called it during the preseason was total BS and I think they got the message.... 

They were probably calling everything even close so the league could make it clearer what they should consider a penalty. 

But hey...why would people think logically about anything?

12 minutes ago, athell said:

Lots of people were doom and gloomin' this new helmet rule, talkin' about how it was going to be the end of football, etc. etc.  In week 1 of this NFL season, the new helmet rule was called a total of *drum roll*...

ONE TIME

I am much more concerned about how you apparently cannot sack the QB any longer without getting flagged...the helmet rule, like a bunch of stuff here, was much ado about nothing. 

Not surprised at all but was definitely glad the dude that hit Andrew Luck was tossed. That was the definition of what they’re trying to eliminate. 

10 minutes ago, Duff_Man said:

They were probably calling everything even close so the league could make it clearer what they should consider a penalty. 

But hey...why would people think logically about anything?

I saw a lot of helmet to helmet hits that are way more dangerous than what this new rule is trying to prevent.  I think it's a stupid rule because there's no clear indication of what's allowed and what's not.  Seems to be subjective to me, if the player is hurt they call it, if not they let it go. 

Edited by Road Warrior

40 minutes ago, athell said:

ONE TIME

If it's the one time I'm thinking of, then ironically it's the Bengals player who got ejected for launching himself head first at Andrew Luck.

21 minutes ago, BayFalcon said:

It was one week.

I can completely see them using this to change the outcome of a game in a future week.

There are plenty of other ways for refs to change the outcome of a game without starting to magically enforce a helmet rule though.

Look no further than our own game.  It was greatly influenced by the officiating and we had zero helmet to helmet calls.

1 hour ago, athell said:

ONE TIME

Yeah, I agree. I saw a lot of roughing the passing calls which didn't make sense. I don't know how a defensive lineman who is the process of tackling a QB when he gets rid of it is not supposed to land on him... Bear hug him and transition into a slow dance?

1 minute ago, Jpg428gggg said:

Yeah, I agree. I saw a lot of roughing the passing calls which didn't make sense. I don't know how a defensive lineman who is the process of tackling a QB when he gets rid of it is not supposed to land on him... Bear hug him and transition into a slow dance?

lmao...that visual!  Sadly, apparently that is the answer.  Or instead of tackling him, dipping him like they were doing the cha cha.

Roughing the passer was called way more than usual yesterday I think. I also saw several so called hits on defenseless players that weren't. One roughing the passer call was on a d lineman that was engaged by an olineman at the line of scrimmage and he reached one hand out and pushed the qb in the chest moments after the pass was released and the qb backed up 2 steps. Seems to occur on 3rd down alot also. Lots of drives extended by bs calls.

1 hour ago, athell said:

ONE TIME

Yeah from what I saw this weekend, if you so much as sneeze on the QB then you are getting flagged.

5 minutes ago, 2_legit_2_legit_2_quit said:

Yeah from what I saw this weekend, if you so much as sneeze on the QB then you are getting flagged.

Seems to be the case.  Don't know how they expect 300 lb men running full speed to just...let up suddenly but alas...

2 hours ago, Road Warrior said:

I saw a lot of helmet to helmet hits that are way more dangerous than what this new rule is trying to prevent.  I think it's a stupid rule because there's no clear indication of what's allowed and what's not.  Seems to be subjective to me, if the player is hurt they call it, if not they let it go. 

Basically