fuego

Hall of fame quarterback Kurt Warner rips Steve Sarkisian’s offense

212 posts in this topic

53 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

Warner is clearly wrong. What ever has Warner done in the NFL. 

I am not calling out PMF. He knows more football than I do… Only thing we disagree on is Sark.  I was a chip Kelly or  DeFilippo guy as a Shanahan replacement… But I’m curious what PMF thinks about Kurt Warner’s analysis 

1 minute ago, Falconsin2012 said:

I am not calling out PMF. He knows more football than I do… Only thing we disagree on is Sark.  I was a chip Kelly or  DeFilippo guy as a Shanahan replacement… But I’m curious what PMF thinks about Kurt Warner’s analysis 

I’d like to see an example of the play he is talking about because that last series of plays the Eagles went to a picket fence on the goal line which is a kind of hybrid zone, man match deal.

Quinn said at the presser they called that situation the 0 Zone where every throw has to go to the end zone. That limits what you can call.

All that switch release and flood concepts against a picket fence that doesn’t have to come up to play anything, I just wanna see what he means.

22 minutes ago, LightningDawg58 said:

Who was/is available that would have been as good or better than what Shanny did in 2016?

Didnt matter who Quinn brought in,  the likelyhood of repeating a historic year like that was very slim. 

Even if Shanny stayed there is no garuntee he could have duplicated the best offensive team he ever coordinated in his career.

Sark needs to improve but reality needs to set in that you don’t have the 7th Best offense in the history of the NFL year in and year out. Those things are fickle and hard to replicate with the way defenses study nowadays.

We literally just need to score touchdowns.  The play calling moved the ball up and down the field against one of the best defenses enough for us to have scored 35 points if scored TDs each time. We were in scoring position, we just didn’t convert TDs. That’s with a record setting amount of penalties.

That’s not all playcalling

Ummm maybe someone with NFL experience and has schemed against NFL defenses. Instead of a college coach who only had limited experience with SEC defenses. 

It boggles my mind the intellectual gymnastics some will do on here to defend Quinn’s decision by defending Sarks ineptitude.

Why would you hand that offense over to a complete unknown on the NFL level?

1 hour ago, PokerSteve said:

I feel for the guy. I really do. He was put into a situation that almost guaranteed he would fail. No way he was ready to step into OC of the most prolific offense with virtually zero experience in the NFL.

Do I blame him for taking the job and giving it a shot? Heck, no. Just hope he and Knapp working together can get this offense going soon.

I suspect that if the offense looks as putrid as it did last week, we will see Knapp calling some of the plays, especially in the RZ. This won't be announced , but it should be fairly obvious.  If the offense picks up noticeably with Knapp calling a lot of the plays, it would be an easy way to ease Sark out at the end of the season, and then decide on Knapp or someone else as a new OC.  However, that would surely mean sacrificing at least most of this season.

PokerSteve likes this

15 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

I’d like to see an example of the play he is talking about because that last series of plays the Eagles went to a picket fence on the goal line which is a kind of hybrid zone, man match deal.

Quinn said at the presser they called that situation the 0 Zone where every throw has to go to the end zone. That limits what you can call.

All that switch release and flood concepts against a picket fence that doesn’t have to come up to play anything, I just wanna see what he means.

The Warner video from the original post is interesting. Doesn’t shed light on the particular plays, though.  It must be the final drive he is referencing

Edited by Falconsin2012

32 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

The truth is Kurt Warner is one of better analysts. He has criticized Matt plenty of times. I will take his word over any one in media who hasn’t played single snap in NFL.  But Warner may not tell the whole story unless he is  in that locker room.

At this point it doesn’t matter, all this will be forgotten if the offense gets its **** together.

2 hours ago, Falcon Ben said:

You are a ****. The mods need to do something about this.

You are being a little wuss, I edited the post for good measure. Nothing I said was about Sark, or his alcoholism FYI.

2 hours ago, Falconsin2012 said:

The Warner video from the original post is interesting. Doesn’t shed light on the particular plays, though.  It must be the final drive he is referencing

I don’t recall anything in that video indicating he was analyzing that game.

Sounded like a sound bite and gut of his hot take Sark year 1 opinion. He literally is only talking about feel for players and the game. Sark didn’t show that consistently last year and admitted need for personal growth.

IMO, it’s most likely Warner sees the narrative that since the results are the same as last year and just shares his thoughts loosely without confirming or not it was his own review of the plays in that game.

Bottom line, Shanny got "it" and understood "it" and knew what to do with "it". Sark is stuck in the NCAA.

Quinn and the front office need to do their homework to find the right guy. 

The true reality to it all is that time is ticking, and we may not have this talented roster for long. Falcons are certainly wasting time and being stubborn in the process.

PokerSteve likes this

On 9/8/2018 at 8:11 PM, 2_legit_2_legit_2_quit said:

I don’t blame Sark one bit. I blame the man that hired him. Quinn handed over the keys to one of the most prolific offenses in NFL history to an unproven 2nd rate college coach. This is all on Quinn.

yep point blank

On 9/8/2018 at 8:09 PM, fuego said:

Warner paints the portrait of a man unaware of doing what’s needed to win in the NFL.

Falcons fans spent the offseason crossing their fingers that Steve Sarkisian would put it together. The team improved their offensive roster, he got more time to adjust to the team and the NFL, and they added Greg Knapp, a quarterback coach with a lengthier NFL resume than Bush Hamdan. 

The result was the same. The players looked uncomfortable, passes were off, passes were dropped, and the red zone remains a disaster. The “wrinkles” promised only days ago appear to be forcing previously failed formations to work. 

Four verts at the goal line three times in a row? And trying to smash through an 11 man box repeatedly? That’s clearly a recipe for failure, but Hall of Fame quarter Kurt Warner found smaller, more serious problems with the offense. He explained what he saw on the Jim Rome show.

Warner compares what he saw in Kyle Shanahan’s offense to what he saw on Thursday night against the Philadelphia Eagles. When asked if he believed this was an execution issue or a coaching issue, Warner focused on two themes: (1) players are not being used to their strengths; and (2) the small intricacies are missing.

We saw (1) last year a lot, probably best highlighted by Tevin Coleman. Too often Coleman was run up the middle against stacked boxes, and rarely put into space or catching the ball, where he was a dynamic offensive weapon. Sarkisian never figured out how to use Taylor Gabriel at all. If we are comparing Shanahan to Sarkisian, Shanahan got production out of all of his tight ends. Sarkisian focused on Austin Hooper.

Now (2) may be even more problematic. As Warner puts it, the little things in the NFL are what makes a play successful. He points out that the routes have been sloppy, and suggests they are not emphasized by coaches. It sounds like Sarkisian may still not be sure what it takes to win in the NFL. 

Things may have been easier when he was the head coach at USC, and those problems Warner mentioned didn’t matter when your players were significantly more talented than anyone else on the field. It may be similar to how some young players struggle to adapt to playing in the NFL. They have been the fastest guy on the field their whole life, so they never had to sweat the small stuff. Once in the NFL, they aren’t the fastest anymore.

Does Sarkisian even know what worked in college will not always work in the pros? And if he figures that out, does he have the coaching ability to make the change? The early results show there’s still a long way for Sarkisian to go.

https://www.thefalcoholic.com/2018/9/8/17833198/hall-of-fame-quarterback-kurt-warner-rips-steve-sarkisians-offense-atlanta-falcons-matt-ryan

What I have said time and time again. There may be a lack of execution, but it's because the offense does not cater to the strengths or weaknesses of our personnel. Blaming execution is like treating the symptom instead of the disease. Lack of execution is the headache, Sark's play-calling/design is the freaking brain tumor.

Edited by RubberDucky

On 9/8/2018 at 7:33 PM, athell said:

Also I'm not concerned with avatars.  I want a break from your awful posting.

1 month no posting.  I'll even split the difference even though you already cowardly backed off from your original number.  15 or less you win, 16 or more I do.

I hope you lose 

athell and Dutty Ole Bird like this

23 hours ago, Ezekiel 25:17 said:

Oh no, I blame Sark a LOT OF BIT! Even through it reflects oh Quinn’s decision making at the end of the day, I get, that’s like saying you are hired to install a new rough. Sure, the guy that hires you should do his research but at the end of the day, you have been hired to do a job and you are responsible for your own performance.

I wouldn't know where to begin sir.

Ezekiel 25:17 likes this

On 9/8/2018 at 8:11 PM, 2_legit_2_legit_2_quit said:

I don’t blame Sark one bit. I blame the man that hired him. Quinn handed over the keys to one of the most prolific offenses in NFL history to an unproven 2nd rate college coach. This is all on Quinn.

Yes it is.  This never made any sense to me nor many of my Falcon fans friends.

PokerSteve and jay1k2 like this

On 9/8/2018 at 9:27 PM, falcons007 said:

Another great thread derailed. Coming from a Warner is big, I wonder what DQ is thinking about fixing this whole mess.

so what did shanahan do in the red zone that shark isn't (what type of plays)?

ryan's weaknesses in red zone are evident.  how to play to his strengths?

18 hours ago, falcons007 said:

The truth is Kurt Warner is one of better analysts. He has criticized Matt plenty of times. I will take his word over any one in media who hasn’t played single snap in NFL.  But Warner may not tell the whole story unless he is  in that locker room.

At this point it doesn’t matter, all this will be forgotten if the offense gets its **** together.

True. But he's still part of that media now. His job is to provoke and create debate. 

FalconBlood23 and Ergo Proxy like this

20 hours ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

Warner wanted more plays like the one where MR 2 missed Sanu. He thought Sanu should have made his break at the 2 yard line instead of dancing in the end zone when it was too late.

Ergo Proxy likes this

he's 100% right, Been the same since Day 1. Sark has no idea how to use players to their skillsets. So lost. He thinks that just executing wins you games. How about helping the players with good calls

We have to run the ball more than 17 times. Matt has not really ever had a great game where he has to throw the ball more than 40 times. Not many QBs do. When you don’t run the call you don’t setup play action. I’m 2016 we were fairly balanced. We need to use our RBs