fuego

Hall of fame quarterback Kurt Warner rips Steve Sarkisian’s offense

212 posts in this topic

Warner paints the portrait of a man unaware of doing what’s needed to win in the NFL.

Falcons fans spent the offseason crossing their fingers that Steve Sarkisian would put it together. The team improved their offensive roster, he got more time to adjust to the team and the NFL, and they added Greg Knapp, a quarterback coach with a lengthier NFL resume than Bush Hamdan. 

The result was the same. The players looked uncomfortable, passes were off, passes were dropped, and the red zone remains a disaster. The “wrinkles” promised only days ago appear to be forcing previously failed formations to work. 

Four verts at the goal line three times in a row? And trying to smash through an 11 man box repeatedly? That’s clearly a recipe for failure, but Hall of Fame quarter Kurt Warner found smaller, more serious problems with the offense. He explained what he saw on the Jim Rome show.

Warner compares what he saw in Kyle Shanahan’s offense to what he saw on Thursday night against the Philadelphia Eagles. When asked if he believed this was an execution issue or a coaching issue, Warner focused on two themes: (1) players are not being used to their strengths; and (2) the small intricacies are missing.

We saw (1) last year a lot, probably best highlighted by Tevin Coleman. Too often Coleman was run up the middle against stacked boxes, and rarely put into space or catching the ball, where he was a dynamic offensive weapon. Sarkisian never figured out how to use Taylor Gabriel at all. If we are comparing Shanahan to Sarkisian, Shanahan got production out of all of his tight ends. Sarkisian focused on Austin Hooper.

Now (2) may be even more problematic. As Warner puts it, the little things in the NFL are what makes a play successful. He points out that the routes have been sloppy, and suggests they are not emphasized by coaches. It sounds like Sarkisian may still not be sure what it takes to win in the NFL. 

Things may have been easier when he was the head coach at USC, and those problems Warner mentioned didn’t matter when your players were significantly more talented than anyone else on the field. It may be similar to how some young players struggle to adapt to playing in the NFL. They have been the fastest guy on the field their whole life, so they never had to sweat the small stuff. Once in the NFL, they aren’t the fastest anymore.

Does Sarkisian even know what worked in college will not always work in the pros? And if he figures that out, does he have the coaching ability to make the change? The early results show there’s still a long way for Sarkisian to go.

https://www.thefalcoholic.com/2018/9/8/17833198/hall-of-fame-quarterback-kurt-warner-rips-steve-sarkisians-offense-atlanta-falcons-matt-ryan

I was going to post this. Sarkosuchus may get a pass from the board cheerleaders, but if he hasn't gotten it right by game 19, he will never get it right. He is an incompetent Offenseless Coordinator and fans of our rivals are starting to catch on. We lose to the panthers 21-9 next week after our OL crumbles like Biscochitos.

http://www.carolinahuddle.com/boards/topic/151281-falcons-have-their-own-mike-shula-lol/

5 minutes ago, osiruz said:

I was going to post this. Sarkosuchus may get a pass from the board alcoholics, but if he hasn't gotten it right by game 19, he will never get it right. He is an incompetent Offenseless Coordinator and fans of our rivals are starting to catch on. We lose to the panthers 21-9 next week after our OL crumbles like Biscochitos.

http://www.carolinahuddle.com/boards/topic/151281-falcons-have-their-own-mike-shula-lol/

Nice alcoholic burn, super awesome!

How about we bet?  Put yer money where your mouth is.  If Falcons score 9 or fewer points, you can pick your reward.  If Falcons score 10 or more you can't post here for a month.

You in?

5 minutes ago, athell said:

Nice alcoholic burn, super awesome!

How about we bet?  Put yer money where your mouth is.  If Falcons score 9 or fewer points, you can pick your reward.  If Falcons score 10 or more you can't post here for a month.

You in?

Awe you but hurt? It's called hyperbole little man. I'll happily bet you we don't break 21 points though on offense one avatar for a month.

1 minute ago, osiruz said:

Awe you but hurt? It's called hyperbole little man. I'll happily bet you we don't break 21 points though on offense one avatar for a month.

Not butt hurt.  It's also not hyperbole, it's not funny.  Lol little man...internet tough guy huh?  You just get better and better.

Quite a jump from 9 to 21.  Which is it?  Not so confident after all...aye "little man"?

Also I'm not concerned with avatars.  I want a break from your awful posting.

1 month no posting.  I'll even split the difference even though you already cowardly backed off from your original number.  15 or less you win, 16 or more I do.

1 minute ago, athell said:

Not butt hurt.  It's also not hyperbole, it's not funny.  Lol little man...internet tough guy huh?  You just get better and better.

Quite a jump from 9 to 21.  Which is it?  Not so confident after all...aye "little man"?

So you won't bet your BFF will break 21 points? Should be easy for an offensive mind with our kind of weapons. Looks like you don't have much confidence. Loser gets a saints avatar for one month.

Just now, osiruz said:

So you won't bet your BFF will break 21 points? Should be easy for an offensive mind with our kind of weapons. Looks like you don't have much confidence. Loser gets a saints avatar for one month.

You said 9.  Don't put this on me.

1 minute ago, athell said:

Also I'm not concerned with avatars.  I want a break from your awful posting.

1 month no posting.  I'll even split the difference even though you already cowardly backed off from your original number.  15 or less you win, 16 or more I do.

Our average ppg is 21. That's not saying much, what a wimp.

I said last year that I didn't think Sark knew how to teach the little things. He wasn't making sure the little things where executed correctly. The Sark appologist had a fit. I noticed it just in training camp. I never saw Sark teaching like I did Kyle on the day's I went. I wondered if his lack of experience was causing this result. You play how you practice. I don't think he understands the little nuances of the offense. He's not coaching the players and that's why they fail to execute. 

I want Sark to succeed. For our sake , if no other reason. I wanted to give him a chance, though I didn't like the hire. But what I saw last year, through the preseason and first game this year, Is the same crap. You would have to be blind not to see it. People are to busy hunting a reason that the plays might have lucked up and been successful if everything went right, instead of looking at the big picture. Not this article and other pros are pointing it out. 

I hope for our seasons sake, he figures it out.

Just now, osiruz said:

Our average ppg is 21. That's not saying much, what a wimp.

15 points (even though you said 9).  No posting for a month.  That's the deal.

You look like a complete moron right now if you care (you don't).

JD dirtybird21 likes this

Just now, athell said:

You said 9.  Don't put this on me.

Aren't you acting like a scorned lover? Defend your offenseless OC. Either he is going to put up points on the panthers or he isn't. Obviously a "good poster" like you should tell sarcasm. 

Just now, athell said:

15 points (even though you said 9).  No posting for a month.  That's the deal.

You look like a complete moron right now if you care (you don't).

Dude the Browns can put up 15 points and they don't have an offense. You are just a wimp who won't agree to a good deal. Do we break our seasonal average vs the panthers or not? 

2 minutes ago, osiruz said:

Dude the Browns can put up 15 points and they don't have an offense. You are just a wimp who won't agree to a good deal. Do we break our seasonal average vs the panthers or not? 

You originally said 9.

I'm giving you 15.

TAKE IT OR LEAVE IT BUT FOR THE LOVE OF GOD STOP BACKTRACKING AND BEATING AROUND THE BUSH YOU FOOL

I didn't love the play-calling at the end of the game...but realistically, it's hard to flood a zone when you HAVE to put the ball in the end zone or risk running out of time. it just wasn't a good position for us to be in. when you flood a zone, you make a zone have to choose his depth. naturally the zone defenders are going to stack in the end zone and trust they can flow to the ball if thrown short. so even if you flood say, a cloud flat zone and a deep half, the cloud flat will not come up to play the flat...he's going to play everything in the end zone and trust he can make a tackle if the QB dares throws it short. 

understanding the situation of the game kind of debunks this 'flood the zone' nonsense I'm sure people will regurgitate all week

BlazerSlayer and quickzero like this

I argue:

Sark was showing better play calls and it’s not just making excuses FOR him. However, players like Ryan had exceptionally bad games even when plays were there and our run game was bad; causing pass blocking to be even more difficult.

Warner sounds like he is commenting on analyzing last years Sark. He was fitting those descriptions.

However, Ryan played much worse than he did in the playoff game and in a long time actually.

So, if Sark learns his players and gets on a role with calling then it’s like Kurt said: The players job.

Thats what I saw against the Eagles Thursday night.

5 minutes ago, osiruz said:

Aren't you acting like a scorned lover? Defend your offenseless OC. Either he is going to put up points on the panthers or he isn't. Obviously a "good poster" like you should tell sarcasm. 

Y'know what?  If you want to do avatar, cool.  You have to rock an Steve Sarkisian pic of my choosing, and sign every single one of your posts with this.

"I'm a complete moron but you know who isn't?  Steve Sarkisian."

RoddyWhite84 likes this

Just now, athell said:

You originally said 9.

I'm giving you 15.

TAKE IT OR LEAVE IT BUT FOR THE LOVE OF GOD STOP BACKTRACKING AND BEATING AROUND THE BUSH YOU FOOL

Let me know when you grow some balls, as a member of the Sarkisian Harem I expected more. Put up a solid bet, not one with a near guarantee you will win, little girl.