Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
The Falcon Jedi Knight

Ive figured out the Red Zone problem

64 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Atlchamp99 said:

I've noticed this as well. Ryan's arm strength doesn't allow for him to thread the ball into tight spaces so he certainly does need more room to operate from to score. For most NFL teams being at the 5-yard line is a blessing but for us its a curse.

That’s when I wish we had a bigger line and a power back for that short yardage ****. 

40 minutes ago, CraigSmackDaddy said:

The problem is that teams don’t respect our run game inside the 5 yard line.  I haven’t went back and watched all the redzone attempts but I sure would like to see who was open IF Matt had time to throw the ball.  One of them I recall Hooper got completely mauled and there was no flag.  

We don't have a power back, why should they? Turner did good for us and the last big back we had was Steven Jackson that also got it done in the red zone for us before he blew his hamstring.. Since then, we've had nothing 

56 minutes ago, ⚡Slumerican⚡ said:

We don't have a power back, why should they? Turner did good for us and the last big back we had was Steven Jackson that also got it done in the red zone for us before he blew his hamstring.. Since then, we've had nothing 

Agreed.  Still don’t understand why we haven’t brought in a bigger back that can get us those tough yards.  

Ive seen matt ryan put zip (heat)on the ball one time in my 10 years watching him.

It was against rex ryans jets in the meadowlands for the winning td score to tony gonzalez in the REDZONE in 10 yards out. Ill never forgot that. He threw it so hard i didnt see the ball. We won 10-6. I the cold weather.

So. His arm strength couldnt be the problem. Give him protection he can zip it.

Edited by RazorWing

1. DQ and FO won't sign a BIG BACK.

2. Bad playcalling and scheming.

3. MR doesn't seem to see all his options.

4. MR doesn't have time to see all his options

3 hours ago, dawgsjw said:

Julio is like the only WR we have that is worth throwing a fade too.  I know when Tony G was here, he was able to box defenders out and M Ryan was able to capitalize on it.  Fact of the matter is we don't have anyone outside of Julio (since TG retired) that can run the fade, so it isn't like Ryan has all these guys to work with.  Plus Julio isn't the type of receiver to box a defender out. 

Sanu  is a good receiver fto throw the fade to. Makes great one-handed catches. 

4 hours ago, The_Realist said:

Yep. Matt Ryan has never been comfortable throwing the fade in the redzone. The fade is bread and butter NFL redzone procedure, and Matt can't do it. It's why he consistently throws 10-15 less TDs than the 'elite' QBs per season. Matt is a smart QB, but doesnt have the zip to punch it in to small spaces. This has always been the case.

Throwing the fade can be fixed. He doesn't need a cannon of an arm. It's called "Practice". What are the recievers practicing on goal line???

5 hours ago, Faithful Falcon said:

This may be the real problem. When we are on the goaline, we are not a threat to run it in.

I got mocked for saying just this same thing.  When teams don't have to worry about you pounding for the score, it makes it

incredibly easy for them to defend. 

6 hours ago, The_Realist said:

Yep. Matt Ryan has never been comfortable throwing the fade in the redzone. The fade is bread and butter NFL redzone procedure, and Matt can't do it. It's why he consistently throws 10-15 less TDs than the 'elite' QBs per season. Matt is a smart QB, but doesnt have the zip to punch it in to small spaces. This has always been the case.

And for some reason his passes seemed even more slow Thursday night.   You could tell when he was really trying to throw a bullet because the ball would come out nose down.   That happens when you are really squeezing the ball and trying to muscle it for a bullet pass.  He never seemed relaxed and in control.   Maybe he is less confident in the play calling than what is being said publicly.

4 hours ago, Gold4425 said:

1. DQ and FO won't sign a BIG BACK.

2. Bad playcalling and scheming.

3. MR doesn't seem to see all his options.

4. MR doesn't have time to see all his options

He saw all his options in 2016. Kurt Warner said it best...Sark is the issue. 

falconut1991 likes this

6 hours ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Shanahan knew this which is why he try to score from the third. Ryan needs a tight end to be successful in the red zone ala TG.  He just doesn’t have a great arm for the RZ.  Not sure why...it’s strong enough.  

Doesn't have the courage to risk a turnover.

Classic game manager move to bias the pass going out of bounds instead of keeping it in play and let your WR battle for it.

6 hours ago, Faithful Falcon said:

He was with Gonzalez.

Gonzalez was amazing at boxing out and get open. But Matt Ryan didnt put up elite TD numbers when he was here. I'm sure he was more successful throwing the fade to Tony than he was anyone else in his life, but hes still not great at throwing it

44 minutes ago, FalconsFanSC said:

And for some reason his passes seemed even more slow Thursday night.   You could tell when he was really trying to throw a bullet because the ball would come out nose down.   That happens when you are really squeezing the ball and trying to muscle it for a bullet pass.  He never seemed relaxed and in control.   Maybe he is less confident in the play calling than what is being said publicly.

Admittedly I never played ball and will have to take your word for it on that one. But my point is that hes not the kind of QB that can force feed a WR in the redzone. It's why all of our successful years have come with an amazing run game 

I've seen Tom Brady complete fades to Gronk. But I've also seen him routinely complete redzone passes to Amendola, Hogan, and Edelman, and Wes Welker before them, none of whom are taller than 5'11". 

Is it lack of arm talent, accuracy, scrambling ability, pocket presence, vision? 

Matt isnt bad ... he just needs more room to operate. He is a pure pocket passer ... and he doesnt seem to see the field well when we are at the 10 yard line or less. And im going to pin those plays on the OC to understand and construct a Pass Play that will actualy work from the 10 yard line. Its a hard play. Its a tough play to work in those tight spaces. But somehow, every other team in the NFL seems to figure it out except ours.

And this is really embarassing given the so called Talent we have on Offense.

Ive seen Matt thread needles before. I dont know if his arm is giving out, or whatever is going on. We are sick and tired of 3 and Outs inside the 10 yard line.

Matt's problem is he eye=balls his target too much. He doesnt look off safeties ... when the play is run everybody on the defense knows where the ball is going to. And this is another problem that has plagued Matt Ryan since the beginning.

The greats like Aaron Rod and Tom Brady know how to look the Defense away. Ryan has never figured that part out

5 hours ago, OilFuturesTrader19 said:

Throwing the fade can be fixed. He doesn't need a cannon of an arm. It's called "Practice". What are the recievers practicing on goal line???

While we are at it, how about the back shoulder pass too. 

Freeman is done. He did his job good for a while, but between his concussions and knee - he is done.

Tevin Coleman is our starting and best RB ... and that sucks because we gave all our RB money to Freeman (STUPID!)

I really hope Ito Smith can step up because we Fd ourselves on that Freeman contract.

I just dont see Ryan "getting better" in year 10 or 11 of his career. I think what we have with him is what we have. I know he had newborn twins this off-season and obviously that could be a distraction .... but the thing is he is a STARTING QB IN THE NFL.

AND HE JUST GOT PAID $150 MILLION DOLLARS.

After 10 YEARS and that much money? You need to be TOP 3. AND START PLAYING LIKE IT.

Do you know how many QBs in the NFL would die and dream to have this Offensive roster??

Ryan needs to MAN UP - or GET OUT. 10 YEARS IS ENOUGH. Do it Now - or you gotta go.

"NFL means Not For Long" - Jerry Glanville

10 hours ago, The_Realist said:

Don’t need “zip” to throw a 1-20 yard fade.  We don’t ever throw fades