Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Falcon Jedi Knight

Ive figured out the Red Zone problem

64 posts in this topic

This has been an issue since Ryan came into the NFL. Now, some of it has been to do with the OCs, but after analyzing Ryan's Touchdown passes throughout all his years, it has become evident that most of Ryan's TD passes were from outside the 20 yard line.

Ryan does not function well in Compressed Spaces. He needs more open field to work with. He operates better as a passer with more than 20 yards ahead of him to score.

He is not the kind of passer that can thread a tight needle through a cluster of people crowded up against him. Most of his success comes on passes when he has at least 25 yards or more to work with.

Matt Ryan's "RED ZONE" is from the 30 yard line.

Yep. Matt Ryan has never been comfortable throwing the fade in the redzone. The fade is bread and butter NFL redzone procedure, and Matt can't do it. It's why he consistently throws 10-15 less TDs than the 'elite' QBs per season. Matt is a smart QB, but doesnt have the zip to punch it in to small spaces. This has always been the case.

1 hour ago, The Falcon Jedi Knight said:

This has been an issue since Ryan came into the NFL. Now, some of it has been to do with the OCs, but after analyzing Ryan's Touchdown passes throughout all his years, it has become evident that most of Ryan's TD passes were from outside the 20 yard line.

Ryan does not function well in Compressed Spaces. He needs more open field to work with. He operates better as a passer with more than 20 yards ahead of him to score.

He is not the kind of passer that can thread a tight needle through a cluster of people crowded up against him. Most of his success comes on passes when he has at least 25 yards or more to work with.

which is even more reason that the three step drops are stupid.

Julio is like the only WR we have that is worth throwing a fade too.  I know when Tony G was here, he was able to box defenders out and M Ryan was able to capitalize on it.  Fact of the matter is we don't have anyone outside of Julio (since TG retired) that can run the fade, so it isn't like Ryan has all these guys to work with.  Plus Julio isn't the type of receiver to box a defender out. 

11 minutes ago, The_Realist said:

Yep. Matt Ryan has never been comfortable throwing the fade in the redzone. The fade is bread and butter NFL redzone procedure, and Matt can't do it. It's why he consistently throws 10-15 less TDs than the 'elite' QBs per season. Matt is a smart QB, but doesnt have the zip to punch it in to small spaces. This has always been the case.

He was with Gonzalez.

⚡Slumerican⚡ likes this

Shanahan knew this which is why he try to score from the third. Ryan needs a tight end to be successful in the red zone ala TG.  He just doesn’t have a great arm for the RZ.  Not sure why...it’s strong enough.  

Xero likes this

7 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Shanahan knew this which is why he try to score from the third. Ryan needs a tight end to be successful in the red zone ala TG.  He just doesn’t have a great arm for the RZ.  Not sure why...it’s strong enough.  

It's almost like his passes don't zip to the WR's but more so just get there pretty quick if that makes sense. And pretty quick isn't good enough in the NFL because DB's and LB's are ready to pick anything off in that tight of a space.

The problem is that teams don’t respect our run game inside the 5 yard line.  I haven’t went back and watched all the redzone attempts but I sure would like to see who was open IF Matt had time to throw the ball.  One of them I recall Hooper got completely mauled and there was no flag.  

1 hour ago, The Falcon Jedi Knight said:

Without researching it, I'll take your word for it....makes a lot o' sense, though! 
Just another reason we need a monster RB to go with Coleman, who can push it in when we're 1st and goal!!!  Not some smallish "scat back" that gets owned the majority of the time, at the LOS....

Bill wash use to take shots when he got to the twenty, once you get in the redzone it is so much harder. I would just spread them fools out man, if its compressed its not in our favor.  I laughed at foy taking snaps at FB in practice heck he might need to be in there.

JeffAtl likes this

30 minutes ago, dawgsjw said:

Julio is like the only WR we have that is worth throwing a fade too.  I know when Tony G was here, he was able to box defenders out and M Ryan was able to capitalize on it.  Fact of the matter is we don't have anyone outside of Julio (since TG retired) that can run the fade, so it isn't like Ryan has all these guys to work with.  Plus Julio isn't the type of receiver to box a defender out. 

Which is why we needed a high caliber TE so badly. We don't have any good RZ players.

dawgsjw likes this

2 hours ago, The Falcon Jedi Knight said:

Every single QB does better in more space.  The truly good ones get the job done in tighter quarters.  

Not enough FB and two (or three) tight end sets in the red zone. That's the issue. Simple. People getting paid millions to figure out something fans can deduce for free. Same old Falcons.

4 minutes ago, red falcon said:

Bill wash use to take shots when he got to the twenty, once you get in the redzone it is so much harder. I would just spread them fools out man, if its compressed its not in our favor.  I laughed at foy taking snaps at FB in practice heck he might need to be in there.

Look at PMF's thread.  Matt Ryan had open receivers that he neglected.  The plays were there to be made.  

He doesn't have it throw a fade. No one does. There need to be plays in the red zone that play to his strengths. Slants, play action, skinny posts. Stop the toss ups to Julio and let Julio walk in with a slant 

Falcon Ben likes this

19 minutes ago, Wjcorner said:

he attacked seams with Gonzo, didn't really throw fades. tried it with Julio once but it was too high

Yeah, but Gonzalez was like Shaq in the paint. He bullied defenders. Julio does his bullying on YAC.

Just now, Faithful Falcon said:

Yeah, but Gonzalez was like Shaq in the paint. He bullied defenders. Julio does his bullying on YAC.

No doubt, that’s one of my biggest criticisms with Julio. 6’3” with crazy hops but doesnt know how to box defenders out

Faithful Falcon and ShadyRef like this

1 minute ago, Wjcorner said:

No doubt, that’s one of my biggest criticisms with Julio. 6’3” with crazy hops but doesnt know how to box defenders out

His greatest strength or one of them is his ability to break ankles on cuts. He did that Thursday to get open on a couple of routes. He doesn't have push and shove but in the red zone he should learn how. 

Another unrelated thing is that Matt might need to do more running in the redone. No one open? take off and slide into the goal. He did that in the 2016 playoffs. There are times when he doesn't try to get out of the pocket and make a play.

Just now, Jesus said:

His greatest strength or one of them is his ability to break ankles on cuts. He did that Thursday to get open on a couple of routes. He doesn't have push and shove but in the red zone he should learn how. 

Another unrelated thing is that Matt might need to do more running in the redone. No one open? take off and slide into the goal. He did that in the 2016 playoffs. There are times when he doesn't try to get out of the pocket and make a play.

the problem in the redzone is his biggest strength doesn't translate...he breaks ankles on cuts because they have to trust his deep speed. he come out trying to get them to trust his deep speed and he's running back into the locker room when we're goal to go. 

i didn't see much running opportunity for Matt in the red zone, but in the past I have been pissed he doesn't extend the plays a little longer. he did try it on the last drive though