Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Falcon You

I'm sorry, but the issue is Matt Ryan

82 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Draftnut57 said:

If you want to blame someone,, Blame Sark! Ryan is just doing what they tell him to do.. I'm a little afraid this O# they are running right now is a little to vanilla !! Grammer school if you will!!  It's like we went backward instead of improving.. Sure hope they prove me wrong.

Is it Sark's fault Matt is throwing the ball out of the end zone? Not a single one of the passes at the end of the game was catchable.

red falcon likes this

3 hours ago, g-dawg said:

Matt Ryan has things he is great at and things he is terrible at.

GREAT: Throwing timing routes where he throws before receiver cuts.  Great anticipation thrower - best in NFL

TERRIBLE:  Hate throwing in tight windows where he has to fit a ball in - this relates directly to red zone.

GREAT: Twenty yard throws - zips it well and beautiful thrower.

TERRIBLE:  bombs, 40+ yards.  Now he has in past completed a lot of these but generally throws them where receiver has to come back or jump ball.

Your analysis is 100% correct. Unfortunately, every DC in the NFL knows this as well. 

cblack, red falcon and g-dawg like this

Lol, dude got hit on nearly every passing play. That's generally not conducive to highly efficient qb play. Yea, he had a bad game and could have played better. It happens. Luckily, though, we don't  have to play against a ridiculously stacked d-line like that every week. 

Edited by WalkingTheDawg
VTCrunkler likes this

Unfortunately Matt Ryan is a yes man. He'll never say no. Even if the play call is complete ********. He believes that the powers that be call the plays and its his job to go out there and execute it.

Fortunately in 2016 Kyle Shanahan was worthy of that kind of following... Steve Sarkesian however is not and I think thats really the long and the short of it. Ryan is gonna do what he's told. Right now we have an idiot telling him what to do.

Sure, he could audible. Read the defense and take command. I believe Matt Ryan is capable of that, but he believes in the system, which is why we are where we are. You see what happens when he goes no huddle and handles it himself. Unfortunately in those situations its often too late.

Matt Ryan is a good QB. I truly believe that. Great? Probably not. He needs a great coach in front of him to unlock that potential.

17 hours ago, Falcon You said:

Agreed.  OL was bad, but Philly's DL is really good too.  Ryan should be taking 3 steps back and letting it go.  Maybe that is Sark, but why is Ryan not telling the coaches that needs to be done.  He just takes the play and runs it without seeing the defense or making any adjustments.  So frustrating to watch our $100 mil + QB do that.

Because he said"he's not that guy".... Said it on the radio a year or so ago. That means or 30 million dollar a year qb doesn't want the accountability for owning the success or the failure that comes with a man making a decision. Some were killing LeBron for not taking charge when the game was on the line while in Miami.... He grew out of it though. 11 years in Matt is not gonna change his stripes. 

When people wish to say that the new contract doesn't matter, I have to disagree. It does matter. Fans see it, coaches see it, players see it. If you are the second highest player in the league, the 9th highest paid athlete in sports, the expectations are higher. What other sport is the 2nd highest paid player in the league not suppose to take over the game?

Is it his fault? Probably not. Players have agents. But if you know you are only great if the players around you are great, if the coordinator is great, if the coach is great, if the scheme is great__then maybe you should say, I'll take a little less for the team to be good now. Not wait 5 years or so until the salary cap is higher to pay for other players and coaches around me to make me look great.

12 hours ago, tactician said:

Is it Sark's fault Matt is throwing the ball out of the end zone? Not a single one of the passes at the end of the game was catchable.

So that's how JJ had one of his best games ever ?? That couldn't happen if Ryan was not one of the best deep passers in the league. You better be glad we have him.. He is one of the top 3 QBs in the league.. Look at JJ's numbers for this game.. And the man over the Challenge we lost said himself,, they missed that call,, That was a catch.. I was amazed he admitted it.. I knew they missed it.. The top athority said it was a catch and even the replay booth missed the call also.. I believe that if that had been called correctly,, we would have won handlely,, And yes,, I know what you thinking, but it would have changed the whole game going forth.. So to be honest ,, we lost because of a bad call by the refs.. and even replay.. This was proven when the man over that said so himself..  I know it's not fair for sure. But they need a better evaluator in the booth for the challengers .. He must of been a NE fan.... It was as plain as it could be.

13 hours ago, tactician said:

Your analysis is 100% correct. Unfortunately, every DC in the NFL knows this as well. 

Honest to God, in 11yrs in NFL, you can probably count on one hand the touchdown bombs Matt Ryan has thrown (ball traveled 40+yds in air) where Matt has hit a receiver in stride where he didn’t either have to slow down or come back to the ball.

21 hours ago, Waterjabbers said:

I think Ryan is a lot of the problem, but not the only problem.  We've seen what he's capable of, but he doesn't seem comfortable with the offense.  It shows by how many times he targeted Julio.

He either doesn't seem to trust the routes other guys are running or doesn't trust them to get open.

He doesn't trust the line protection. And who could blame him. The eagles were getting a lot of good pass rush all game. 

red falcon likes this

2 minutes ago, VTCrunkler said:

He doesn't trust the line protection. And who could blame him. The eagles were getting a lot of good pass rush all game. 

Our zone blocking lineman are lighter and weaker than some behemoths and this affects the pocket when playing a dominating DL like the Iggles have.

VTCrunkler and JD dirtybird21 like this

10 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Our zone blocking lineman are lighter and weaker than some behemoths and this affects the pocket when playing a dominating DL like the Iggles have.

This. The Falcons are a very good team. But people forget that football is determined heavily by matchups. The falcons don’t match up well with the eagles or the vikings because of their defensive lines. However, I will bet that both the Giants and Cowboys will give the eagles trouble this season. But that doesn’t mean they are better than the falcons. It’s all about matchups. And the crazy thing is, the Falcons STILL almost won both games. Philly didn’t dominate either at all

VTCrunkler and g-dawg like this

3 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

This. The Falcons are a very good team. But people forget that football is determined heavily by matchups. The falcons don’t match up well with the eagles or the vikings because of their defensive lines. However, I will bet that both the Giants and Cowboys will give the eagles trouble this season. But that doesn’t mean they are better than the falcons. It’s all about matchups. And the crazy thing is, the Falcons STILL almost won both games. Philly didn’t dominate either at all

Your original post in this topic was one of the most observant, well-written and accurate statements on Matt Ryan(almost always controversial) ever written.  

I believe you and I come down similarly on Matt - fans and appreciate Matt but without being a blind homer.   Matt’s a good QB but he does have limitations that the very top guys don’t.

JD dirtybird21 likes this

Explain this, none of our qb's were able to really score in the red zone this entire preseason and Thursday night we looked exactly how we looked all preseason which sob any people said dosnt matter.. But the one constant since preseason began till now is Sark calling plays.. So was our lack of ability to score in the preseason Ryan's fault too even though he was barely on the field? Or could it actually be sarks inability to call redzone plays.. 

4 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Your original post in this topic was one of the most observant, well-written and accurate statements on Matt Ryan(almost always controversial) ever written.  

I believe you and I come down similarly on Matt - fans and appreciate Matt but without being a blind homer.   Matt’s a good QB but he does have limitations that the very top guys don’t.

I appreciate man. I was honestly waiting to get crucified for writing that. But it still hasn’t happened. 

g-dawg likes this

14 minutes ago, ⚡Slumerican⚡ said:

Explain this, none of our qb's were able to really score in the red zone this entire preseason and Thursday night we looked exactly how we looked all preseason which sob any people said dosnt matter.. But the one constant since preseason began till now is Sark calling plays.. So was our lack of ability to score in the preseason Ryan's fault too even though he was barely on the field? Or could it actually be sarks inability to call redzone plays.. 

Matt sucked in red zone first year under Shanny as well.  For his CAREER, Julio hasn’t consistently produced in red zone.

I am no fan of Sark and will be fine if he goes, but acting like Matt isn’t a HUGE part of the problem in red zone is ignorant.

9 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Matt sucked in red zone first year under Shanny as well.  For his CAREER, Julio hasn’t consistently produced in red zone.

I am no fan of Sark and will be fine if he goes, but acting like Matt isn’t a HUGE part of the problem in red zone is ignorant.

Matts got huge issues right now also, I'm just saying if a oc can't score TD's with 3 different qb's and offensive personnel.. The main issue is probably the oc.. And if he's not pushing Ryan for perfection on and off the field, it's still on the OC lack of game install 

47 minutes ago, ⚡Slumerican⚡ said:

Matts got huge issues right now also, I'm just saying if a oc can't score TD's with 3 different qb's and offensive personnel.. The main issue is probably the oc.. And if he's not pushing Ryan for perfection on and off the field, it's still on the OC lack of game install 

Three RZ issues and the OC is only one of them.

1) OC

2) QB with RZ weaknesses 

3) underpowered ZBS OL

that is The TRIFECTA!!!

blkbigdog35 likes this

1 hour ago, g-dawg said:

Yeah they got to move him some. Look at some old jake plummer film. Jk but yeah him being a sitting duck isnt helping.  Run gm being shutdown isnt helping either. A lot of time to plan for Carolina. 

Poe is probably licking his chops, hopefully the interior guys are lifting weights today. 

g-dawg likes this

2 minutes ago, red falcon said:

Yeah they got to move him some. Look at some old jake plummer film. Jk but yeah him being a sitting duck isnt helping.  Run gm being shutdown isnt helping either. A lot of time to plan for Carolina. 

Poe is probably licking his chops, hopefully the interior guys are lifting weights today. 

When Matt sits in the pocket in red zone his eyes drop when rush is around him and then he’s dead. Not like some QB’s that keep their eyes downfield until sacked.  The plus side to that is less fumbles and opportunities to get hurt.  Downside is less playmaking.

Agree in overmatched situations they need to roll Matt out more.

red falcon likes this

15 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Three issues and the OC is only one of them.

1) OC

2) QB with RZ weaknesses 

3) underpowered ZBS OL

that is The TRIFECTA!!!

:tiphat: 

49 minutes ago, ⚡Slumerican⚡ said:

Three QBs?

59 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

It's not ignorance, it's blind faith.  

Matt Ryan lost this game, plain and simple.  He threw to the wrong receivers and when he threw to the right ones, he was often off the mark.  This happened over and over, not only in the red zone but on third downs.  

Sark schemed well and the OL was not horrible.  PMF's skilled breakdown with videos is proof positive that everyone else was doing their job, except Matt Ryan.  

g-dawg likes this

10 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Three QBs?

Sark couldn't score with Ryan in the preseason, Shaub, or Benkurt or whatever his name was.. 3 different qb's all the same results with one thing in common.. Sark, so how can that be accidental. I do believe Falcons scored the least amount of points this preseason 

15 hours ago, tactician said:

Yeah, that was the lasting impression most are going to take away from this game.  Matt came up small when we needed him to come up big.

Over the course of the game he just seemed off.  He wasn't comfortable in part because of the pressure, but also in part because of something that seemed to exist between his ears. 

I am not going to make some grand conclusion on Matt Ryan's place in history off of this one game, but the offense as a whole needs to step it up going forward and he is the leader of the offense.