Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Falcon You

I'm sorry, but the issue is Matt Ryan

82 posts in this topic

I know there is a lot of folks to blame for this broken team.  Our defense is the only side that seems to be progressing and getting better each game and year.  Special teams was bad last night.  No one is mentioning that punt that Hardy let bounce over his head around the 30 or 40 and it rolled for another 20 yards.  If we didn't get lucky and the refs making a bad call on penalty by Philly to match our holding penalty, we would have been screwed.  Then you miss the extra point to go up by 3.  Philly's game plan was so easy from that point on, just get 3 to win, but of course they score a TD.  

Now, about Ryan and why I think he is the issue. Sark sucks and I believe most will agree.  He is no Shanny, by any means.  Ryan is at a point in his career that he should have complete control of the offense and the outcome.  It doesn't matter if the play calling is bad or good.  Ryan is running these plays and is not challenging anything.  When is the last time you say Ryan call an audible.  The top QBs in this league still play well when they get a new OC.  I know Ryan has had to learn a lot of difference offenses, but he is in the room when these plays are designed and walked through.  He is on the field when he is supposed to dump it off to Coleman, but it is completely covered but he still throws it.  Other top tier QBs would have adjusted.  Except for the 2016 season where Ryan earned that MVP, Ryan has struggled in every offense.  I think he got the MVPbecause Shanny knew how to really call plays and Ryan didn't even have to think.  He mentioned in an interview during that season why him and Shanny are so good together, he liked that he didn't have to think with his offense. Shanny would give him the play and tell him his options.  He made it super easy for Ryan and Ryan likes that way.  I don't know the solution, but I think Ryan should be reading the defense at the line and calling audibles or even the play.  Even Foles does the no huddle and controls the offense better than Ryan. 

Edited by Falcon You
cblack likes this

3 minutes ago, coastiemike said:

That entire offense is to blame. Coordinator, player, coach, etc...   If Ryan has a fantastic game next Sunday, I suspect you and your 21 posts will quickly disappear into obscurity. 

I might just have 21 points, but I have honestly been here for more than 15 years.  I used to have a lot of posts prior to the message board revamp and lost all my posts count.  I might seem like a newbie, but I am here often, but just read and keep my opinions to myself.  After reading my own post, it looks like I should have kept my opinion today to myself.

I should have known someone like you would come by and just criticize and not engage into a debate.  

3 minutes ago, Falcon You said:

I might just have 21 points, but I have honestly been here for more than 15 years.  I used to have a lot of posts prior to the message board revamp and lost all my posts count.  I might seem like a newbie, but I am here often, but just read and keep my opinions to myself.  After reading my own post, it looks like I should have kept my opinion today to myself.

I should have known someone like you would come by and just criticize and not engage into a debate.  

I can engage in debate. When half the things you said are wrong, however, it just isn't worth it to correct all of them. 

Just now, Stray Dog THA GAWD said:

I wonder how many more performances like this it would take before people do start blaming Ryan, especially if Knapp does get bumped up to OC.

I agree, but it has been happening for so long.  with 2016 being the exception, everyone here has always made excuses for Ryan.  He should be a lot better at this point in his career and with the salary he has.

2 minutes ago, Falcon You said:

I agree, but it has been happening for so long.  with 2016 being the exception, everyone here has always made excuses for Ryan.  He should be a lot better at this point in his career and with the salary he has.

And the personnel.  We'll see after week 5, because if they couldn't fix this in 9 months, I'm not sure what they'll do in 10 days.

1 minute ago, coastiemike said:

I can engage in debate. When half the things you said are wrong, however, it just isn't worth it to correct all of them. 

Just because you don't agree with my points, doesn't mean they are wrong. Ryan has always been average at best, except for 2016 season.  He is only as good as his OC and there are not that many Shannys in this league.  I know Brady is the GOAT, but no matter who his OC is he never has a bad season.  The Bradys, Brees, Rodgers and Mannings always play to their high level regardless of OC.

cblack likes this

1 minute ago, Stray Dog THA GAWD said:

And the personnel.  We'll see after week 5, because if they couldn't fix this in 9 months, I'm not sure what they'll do in 10 days.

I believe we will see a lot of the same most of the year.  We will have a good game here and there.  I just hope we continue to get better as the year progresses and do something this year.  Julio doesn't have much time left to be at the elite level he is in.

cblack and Stray Dog THA GAWD like this

I think Matt has to shoulder a lot of blame yesterday also.  He outplayed Foles and the Eagles made it very tough, but he's also a $30M QB.  

He had some nice plays like where he lofted that ball on 3rd and 15 so that Julio could still come out of his break.  But the final series from the 10 yard line basically sums up the frustrating things about Matt also.  You can't throw 4 passes out of bounds in that situation.  The game is about to end.  You have to give your WRs a chance.  On the 4th down, he threw it out of the back of the endzone.  On the 5th down, he led Julio out of bounds.  Those are just really bad throws in a situation where we needed at least one good one.

I think Sark had some nice play calls out there.  In goal to go situations we had some open guys, but Ryan didn't go there with the ball.

cblack, NYCFalc and bdog 29 like this

7 minutes ago, Faithful Falcon said:

Ryan had some bad throws last night, bit or OL was terrible. If the OL were condoms, we'd have babies and STDs all over the field. No protection at all. There is a Ryan that was awful, but his number wasn't 2. It was 73. 

Agreed.  OL was bad, but Philly's DL is really good too.  Ryan should be taking 3 steps back and letting it go.  Maybe that is Sark, but why is Ryan not telling the coaches that needs to be done.  He just takes the play and runs it without seeing the defense or making any adjustments.  So frustrating to watch our $100 mil + QB do that.

Faithful Falcon likes this

4 minutes ago, DogIsYourName said:

I think Matt has to shoulder a lot of blame yesterday also.  He outplayed Foles and the Eagles made it very tough, but he's also a $30M QB.  

He had some nice plays like where he lofted that ball on 3rd and 15 so that Julio could still come out of his break.  But the final series from the 10 yard line basically sums up the frustrating things about Matt also.  You can't throw 4 passes out of bounds in that situation.  The game is about to end.  You have to give your WRs a chance.  On the 4th down, he threw it out of the back of the endzone.  On the 5th down, he led Julio out of bounds.  Those are just really bad throws in a situation where we needed at least one good one.

I think Sark had some nice play calls out there.  In goal to go situations we had some open guys, but Ryan didn't go there with the ball.

I agree 100% with everything you said.  I was so frustrated that all 5 passes were uncatchable.  I was in complete shock for 3 mins after the end of the game.  He had so many opportunities to win that game and even got another chance on another bogus call that gave Ryan his 5th chance.  That was a gift, but he chunked it

DogIsYourName likes this

I think Ryan is a lot of the problem, but not the only problem.  We've seen what he's capable of, but he doesn't seem comfortable with the offense.  It shows by how many times he targeted Julio.

He either doesn't seem to trust the routes other guys are running or doesn't trust them to get open.

DogIsYourName and Falcon You like this

Ryan takes a part of the blame just like the oline does IMO but Ryan played much better than folks are giving him credit for.  Still think Sark and the offensive game plan is by far the biggest issue.  

3 minutes ago, Falcon You said:

Agreed.  OL was bad, but Philly's DL is really good too.  Ryan should be taking 3 steps back and letting it go.  Maybe that is Sark, but why is Ryan not telling the coaches that needs to be done.  He just takes the play and runs it without seeing the defense or making any adjustments.  So frustrating to watch our $100 mil + QB do that.

And their secondary is very underrated. Mills held his own vs Julio.

15 minutes ago, Falcon You said:

I believe we will see a lot of the same most of the year.  We will have a good game here and there.  I just hope we continue to get better as the year progresses and do something this year.  Julio doesn't have much time left to be at the elite level he is in.

I'd be surprised if Julio plays 2 more full seasons.

Thank you. I barely slept last night because I was so pissed about how Matt played this game. Log onto these boards and I'm shocked to see more threads blaming Sark than him. Sark isn't Shanahan but he did enough for us to win yesterday. Matt was the issue.

He throws a bad pass to an open Freeman in the end zone on the opening drive, and on the second drive forces the ball to Hooper when he had Freeman open on the other side. If he makes those throws, it’s 14pts.

The officials made a horrible call with the Julio non-catch but if Matt throws a better ball, Julio walks that in for a TD. And then that INT throw... just gross.

Sark called a fine game, the offense was moving down the field for most of the game, despite the tough Philly defense. Most of the motions and screens were an attempt to slow their defensive line down, as they were having their way with our O Line in that second half.

Matt has a bad habit of playing jittery in big games. Even Geoff Schwartz mentioned it on Twitter. We did a lot to lose yesterday but most of the blame falls on him.

EDIT: And let me not forget throwing uncatchable balls five times in a row to end the game, taking sacks late instead of throwing the ball away, that horrible intentional grounding, that terrible deep ball to Julio, and missing a wide open Coleman on the last play. It blows my mind that people could watch that game yesterday and come out putting more of the blame on Sark than Matt.

Edited by bdog 29

1 minute ago, CraigSmackDaddy said:

Ryan takes a part of the blame just like the oline does IMO but Ryan played much better than folks are giving him credit for.  Still think Sark and the offensive game plan is by far the biggest issue.  

Yes, other areas do deserve some blame, but all those mistakes are cleared if Ryan played like he should.  Like I said, Ryan has to make more decisions with this offense.  He can't just take a play and run it without considering what he can see better than anyone else.  Sark is not behind that line seeing that defense.  Ryan is no dummy, but he sure does seem like he walking around in a daze sometimes as if he has a concussion or something.  His eyes seem glazed over sometimes and I usually feel we will fail on this drive when he looks that way. 

bdog 29 likes this