PeytonMannings Forehead

Let's Talk About: Missed Opportunities (Game 1)

285 posts in this topic

And this was posted by @Jerz in another thread.  This is for those talking about no creativity.

This play creates a nightmare for goal line defenses.  They've got all big bodies out there and the Falcons shift to a shotgun set and spread it out to find a mistmatch.  This right here is a layup.  Another one where you can't ask for a better look.

7 minutes ago, athell said:

Maddening to watch...

Matt locking onto his wr's again...he is so much better than that.

Ryan is regressing.

The issue may not just be Sark's playcalling.... It's his coaching.

Every other OC we had made Matt a better QB.

2 years with Sark and Matt has happy feet, is locking onto one WR,  taking too long with his reads, passes coming out late...

The problem with Sark may be worse than we realized....

athell and Jerz #DukeSZN like this

7 minutes ago, gkgrimes said:

its boils down to this

#1. kick the field goal instead of going for it on 4th down    +3

#2. don't miss the extra point               +1

#3 down by two in the 4th qtr as time expires. only need a FG to win.

Have to go for it on the 1st drive of the season, on the road, and against the Super Bowl Champs.  I'm glad they went for it, and I am usually in favor of kicking.

Halcon-1 and kiwifalcon like this

Just now, Sun Tzu 7 said:

Ryan is regressing.

2 years with Sark and Matt has happy feet, is locking onto one WR,  taking too long with his reads, passes coming out late...

Trying not to think about it, but yeah.

I'm gonna try and chill and wait to see what these next 3 weeks bring us.  We need a quarter season of play to really see where we are and for whatever reason we always suck in Philly.

Jerz #DukeSZN and Ergo Proxy like this

On the throw to Julio, he's literally on his back leg and about to be engulfed by the dline as he is releasing the ball. No time

Edited by jay1k2
Mojojojo likes this

2 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

Ryan is regressing.

Ryan is a 30M dollar a year, MVP, 11 year QB. These are mistakes he should not be making regardless of who the coach is. 

Just now, FentayeJones said:

Ryan is a 30M dollar a year, MVP, 11 year QB. These are mistakes he should not be making regardless of who the coach is. 

You're right.

He shouldn't be making those mistakes which is what makes this even more concerning.

Jerz #DukeSZN and athell like this

1 minute ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

Which throw to Julio?

The last play you posted...going to Julio I believe and was intercepted.

1 minute ago, athell said:

Trying not to think about it, but yeah.

I'm gonna try and chill and wait to see what these next 3 weeks bring us.  We need a quarter season of play to really see where we are and for whatever reason we always suck in Philly.

Yeah I'm hoping Philly is just that good on defense and the offense is just raw since it was the first game. Philly's secondary looked pretty good compared to what was previously thought. Who knows if it was just because we played terrible or their legit. But I'm hoping the issue isn't Sarks coaching which is close to worst case scenario because this SB window might have a lot of jagged edges.

1 minute ago, jay1k2 said:

The last play you posted...going to Julio I believe and was intercepted.

It was third in 3.  If you got time to throw the ball to a receiver 15 yards down field then you got time to throw it to a receiver running a little 3 yard in at the sticks.

He had no business forcing the ball on a sail route when you got an underneath route right in front of you with the defender playing darn near 10 yards off the ball.

22 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

I'm just gonna post the visual evidence.  Not a whole lot of elaboration needed.

This one's for the ones who contend that no one was schemed open last night.  3rd and Goal, 1st quarter.  Sark dials up a spacing concept, good in short yardage.  Instead of a flat route by the #3 receiver, he has #1 Julio running an out which draws double coverage, stretching the defense horizontally in the end zone, theoretically creating space underneath.  Eagles played a lot of man down near the goal line.  This is an ideal call out of bunch, which is designed to create space against one on one coverage.

IMG_3937

Eagles play the bunch side well but Matt never looks that way.  Seems like his psr (pre-snap read) had him favoring the single receiver side to Hooper.  But this here is the issue.  He's locked in on Hooper the whole way.  Hooper has a man draped all over him, even before he got bumped... but take a look at who doesn't have anyone near him at the bottom of the screen there.  I remember a lot of critiques about running backs not used in the passing game or no one getting schemed wide open... well here you go.  Walk-in touchdown and Matt never even looks his way.

IMG_3938

Looks like Bennett was in a peel technique-- or it's possible he just sensed something was up, but the linebacker who did have Free in man got lost in the wash.  Can't ask for a better look than this.

giphy.gif

Why do you think this was a good call?  The correct defense was called for this look and other than the Eagles DE screwing up, pretty much everyone on offense or defense did what they were supposed too.  This play was set to fail pre-snap.  Everyone was covered.  Why in the world would you think that stretching the defense at the same depth is a good idea? It was a horrible route concept unless you think that five receivers all at the same depth is a good idea.  No real running threat so the LB's dropped immediately.  I mean there was no pause.  Even reading their first read down lineman there should have been an initial stutter step towards their gap responsibility.  The LB's were able to sit right into their coverage space, which was on the goal line.  All the DB's were in soft coverage except for the weak side slot, who got the ball thrown to him and was probably the best covered.  The safety moved up immediately because there was deep threat (meaning the back of the end zone).  Free was the only "open" receiver and that was only because the DE didn't release fast enough and the weak side linebacker got caught up with the TE, which is not a penalty by the way.  This was a terrible call into an obvious defense with zero chance of working and a high probability of something bad like an INT.  One of those trips WR should have run a back corner route to at least pull a defender off the line or force one of the LB's to not sit on a route.  It would have also kept the safety back.

In fact, this is an indictment against Sark through and through.  You could not have called any worse of a play here.  There is no quick pass option, because every defender is at the correct depth.  There is no spacing concept here as you say because when you run five receivers at the same depth there is no space.  You have seven defenders within one yard of the goal line with five WR.  That is 13 players at exactly the same dept.  Where is the spacing that you say?

Matt did not have a good game, and I think the bad decisions are directly related to trying to narrow down to one read, because he knows he isn't going to have time to get to his second.  Especially the last play you posted - the Sanu in-cut - Mo is open, but if Ryan had waited a split second longer than he did, he's probably sacked in the wash.

That, I believe, is our offensive struggles the past two years in a nutshell.  The breakdown of the offensive line blocking, leads to an uncomfortable Matt Ryan in the pocket, looking to get rid of the ball as quickly as possible, often forcing it to the player he thinks gives him the best opportunity to win a toss-up, Julio.

VTCrunkler and jay1k2 like this

1 minute ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

It was third in 3.  If you got time to throw the ball to a receiver 15 yards down field then you got time to throw it to a receiver running a little 3 yard in at the sticks.

He had no business forcing the ball on a sail route when you got an underneath route right in front of you with the defender playing darn near 10 yards off the ball.

Is it predetermined he was looking at Julio first? If so, it doesn't seem like there is any time to change his mind to throw to Sanu unless he is looking that way presnap. It doesn't look like he even had time to throw it to Julio...he didn't step into it.

Just now, schwarzenegger321 said:

Why do you think this was a good call?  The correct defense was called for this look and other than the Eagles DE screwing up, pretty much everyone on offense or defense did what they were supposed too.  This play was set to fail pre-snap.  Everyone was covered.  Why in the world would you think that stretching the defense at the same depth is a good idea? It was a horrible route concept unless you think that five receivers all at the same depth is a good idea.  No real running threat so the LB's dropped immediately.  I mean there was no pause.  Even reading their first read down lineman there should have been an initial stutter step towards their gap responsibility.  The LB's were able to sit right into their coverage space, which was on the goal line.  All the DB's were in soft coverage except for the weak side slot, who got the ball thrown to him and was probably the best covered.  The safety moved up immediately because there was deep threat (meaning the back of the end zone).  Free was the only "open" receiver and that was only because the DE didn't release fast enough and the weak side linebacker got caught up with the TE, which is not a penalty by the way.  This was a terrible call into an obvious defense with zero chance of working and a high probability of something bad like an INT.  One of those trips WR should have run a back corner route to at least pull a defender off the line or force one of the LB's to not sit on a route.  It would have also kept the safety back.

In fact, this is an indictment against Sark through and through.  You could not have called any worse of a play here.  There is no quick pass option, because every defender is at the correct depth.  There is no spacing concept here as you say because when you run five receivers at the same depth there is no space.  You have seven defenders within one yard of the goal line with five WR.  That is 13 players at exactly the same dept.  Where is the spacing that you say?

Lol... dude you are way off with all that.

Spacing is a good call AND A COMMON ONE IN FOOTBALL from many teams too numerous for me to even name.  But you stretch a defense horizontally because you don't have the field to stretch then vertically.  You stretch them horizontally and find holes in the coverage.  The eagles played it well.  Give them credit.

And for all that critique... there was an open receiver... and he was WIDE OPEN.  You can't ask for anything more than that on the goalline.

Ergo Proxy, JDaveG, Stryka and 4 others like this

2 minutes ago, AndrewsFrancisBart said:

Matt did not have a good game, and I think the bad decisions are directly related to trying to narrow down to one read, because he knows he isn't going to have time to get to his second.  Especially the last play you posted - the Sanu in-cut - Mo is open, but if Ryan had waited a split second longer than he did, he's probably sacked in the wash.

That, I believe, is our offensive struggles the past two years in a nutshell.  The breakdown of the offensive line blocking, leads to an uncomfortable Matt Ryan in the pocket, looking to get rid of the ball as quickly as possible, often forcing it to the player he thinks gives him the best opportunity to win a toss-up, Julio.

This is what I'm saying. Unless he is looking at Sanu first, he has no time to go from deciding to throw to Julio to changing his mind and throwing to Sanu.

28 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

Another missed opportunity.  This one's for those who somehow convinced themselves that no one else was open last night.

3rd and 3, 4th quarter.  Julio ran a 7 route (doesn't even look like he should have been part of the read.  Looked to me like his route was to clear out the underneath for the little inside whip route Ridley was running.  But take a look at the coverage to the top of the screen.

IMG_3942

Look how far off the man playing Sanu is as Hooper clears out the corner.

IMG_3943

3rd and 3.  This is the WCO, you're supposed to take what's there and keep the chains moving.  Sanu's man is nowhere to be found and Matt never even looks his way.

IMG_3945

Instead let's force the ball to Julio.  Another scoring opportunity lost.

giphy.gif

Sigh,,,  the Eagles sent 7 rushers.  This was a hot read, but there was no hot receiver because Free had to pick up the free runner.  So, Matt saw seven guys rush with no hot option and he was getting presser from both ends and up the middle.  He has two options.  One, throw it away or two, throw it to your best receiver and let him make a play.  Third down, so Matt takes option two but it looks like Julio gives up.  Of course Matt would miss an open receiver.  He threw the ball in under two seconds because by two he would be on his back.  He never had a chance to look to the right of the field.

2 minutes ago, jay1k2 said:

Is it predetermined he was looking at Julio first? If so, it doesn't seem like there is any time to change his mind to throw to Sanu unless he is looking that way presnap. It doesn't look like he even had time to throw it to Julio...he didn't step into it.

If Matt predetermined that throw -- which is looks like he did then shame on him.  Matt is usually brilliant at his pre-snap reads and eliminated who just isn't going to be open.  There was no reason to go to Julio in that spot on third and three with the defense aligned like that playing so far off to Sanu and Hooper's side.  The difference in degree of difficulty aren't even close.

I really dont even care for the no call on Hooper, now that i see the safety who bumped him was supposed to be covering Free, who ended up WIDE OPEN for a td 

1 minute ago, schwarzenegger321 said:

Sigh,,,  the Eagles sent 7 rushers.  This was a hot read, but there was no hot receiver because Free had to pick up the free runner.  So, Matt saw seven guys rush with no hot option and he was getting presser from both ends and up the middle.  He has two options.  One, throw it away or two, throw it to your best receiver and let him make a play.  Third down, so Matt takes option two but it looks like Julio gives up.  Of course Matt would miss an open receiver.  He threw the ball in under two seconds because by two he would be on his back.  He never had a chance to look to the right of the field.

He should have been looking right the whole time.  That's the point.  

You don't throw a 7 route as a hot read.  Where are you even getting that thought from?

Da_Truth, vel, Stryka and 1 other like this

8 minutes ago, AndrewsFrancisBart said:

If he had time to throw the ball to Julio in double coverage then he had time to get it to Sanu.

Julio shouldn't even have been an option on the play with that coverage.

Da_Truth likes this

2 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

Lol... dude you are way off with all that.

Spacing is a good call AND A COMMON ONE IN FOOTBALL from many teams too numerous for me to even name.  But you stretch a defense horizontally because you don't have the field to stretch then vertically.  You stretch them horizontally and find holes in the coverage.  The eagles played it well.  Give them credit.

And for all that critique... there was an open receiver... and he was WIDE OPEN.  You can't ask for anything more than that on the goalline.

Lol dude I understand simple spacing concepts.  Played in them.  Coached them.  Of course spacing concepts are used.  Just about every pass play uses them.  Please say something that is not obvious.  There is no space when 13 guys are at the same depth.  Zero.  You are way off if you think so.  Where is the "open" receiver?  Please do tell.  You can say that Free is open, and he is for a half a second because two of the Eagles defenders made slight mistakes.  This spacing concept should be at two levels not one.  You can see by the routes that there are no double moves or second route planned for any receiver.  The only chance of success would have been to throw to Free immediately, so okay Matt didn't anticipate the RB coverage to break down fast enough.

Falconsin2012 likes this