ChickenBiscuit

Matt Ryan is exactly who he's always been.

93 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, ChickenBiscuit said:

4500+ all-purpose yards and 37 TDs with the worst offensive line in the league and the 30th ranked rushing attack? Accounting for over 81% of his teams yards despite playing injured on an already decimated roster.

You're essentially asking me "why can't he win a championship with a terrible roster?" as if that's the only parameter you can use for a QB to determine if he performed well or not. I didn't blame Matt in the Super Bowl last year, because he played well despite the loss. Now if someone said "Ryan didn't do **** in the super bowl because he lost" that would be some dumb **** wouldn't it?

Idk. Alex smith had a good year too but I wouldn’t and couldn’t make an argument to say he’s the best in the league. Honestly I did forget ab Wilson’s year last year lol I think he’s in the top 10 but I don’t think he’s the best qb in the league I guess was all I was saying. I think I was pissed off at work when I wrote my original chit, my bad 

On 9/8/2018 at 3:43 AM, Hurry_Up_And_Buy said:

Exactly. Rookie year. You'd expect an 11 year vet to be a little more balls to the wall. 100 million dollar checks aren't as motivating in real lifie obviously. Tired of Atlanta overpaying for marginal production. That's the real persona of this franchise since I've been a fan.

His pocket awareness looks the same as it did 11 years ago....

10 hours ago, TheFatboi said:

He’s definitely improved. But he’s alwAys had issues in the redzone. That’s being honest. You don’t have to have a power back to get in the end zone. We had Steven jackson and struggled on the goaline. Emmitt smith and Walter Payton were far from being Power Backs but didn’t have a problem finding the end zone on the gl. Tomlinson either. Freeman gets in the end zone on the gl pretty well. Not a power back. It’s all about penetration. I don’t care if your back weighs 260 pounds. If the dl gets leverage and penetrates he ain’t goin anywhere. The thing about Big backs is if you get them before they get going it’s a wrap. It’s common knowledge that it’s hard to score in the red zone. It’s also common knowledge that it’s been a weaker point of Matt’s game. Every player has weaknesses. That’s one of Matt’s. 

Well scoring TD's isnt a good weakness to have if youre a 150 mill$ QB..

Byrdman242424 and Phalcon Phil like this

On 9/7/2018 at 0:33 PM, ChickenBiscuit said:

There's no way we could fire Dan Quinn after we just got to a Super Bowl, but I said this last year and I'll say it again: there's a very good chance we let the best coach in falcon history walk away. I don't give a **** about him not running the ball in the Super Bowl, that man made Matt Ryan an MVP. And I wouldn't be surprised if he did the same with Jimmy G.

I know we couldn't fire Dan Quinn, but maybe he should have been re-purposed back to DC and Shanahan taken over as HC with offensive play-calling responsibility.

8 hours ago, PokerSteve said:

I know we couldn't fire Dan Quinn, but maybe he should have been re-purposed back to DC and Shanahan taken over as HC with offensive play-calling responsibility.

DQ would have resigned than agree to be demoted to DC. I would have.

21 hours ago, Intellectually Honest said:

Well I consider this:

According to Falcon fans, Atlanta has great WRs, a great OL, great Rbs. I personally don't agree with this assessment. Other than Julio, there is no threat at receiver. Freeman is constantly getting knicked up, and while Coleman can be sporadically good, he isn't a 3 down back. The Gs suck and Mack is getting old. Let's say I am wrong in my assessment, and the line, Rbs, and receivers are good; what does that say about Matt Ryan?

150 million for above average QB who can be great IF he has a great OL, great RBs, great WRs, great coach etc. Even if Sark goes and is replaced. how many QBs would do as good as Ryan in the same circumstances? How would Foles play in Atlanta vs Ryan on the Eagles? How about the Bucs? Would Ryan kill it in TB vs Fitzpatrick in Atlanta?

If Ryan is better than what he appears in the Eagles game, what does that say about the supporting cast? Is it possible that 2016 was not just an anomaly for Ryan but the entire offense? Also with the 25 TDs per game and 12 ints would be very good in the 1980s. Now it is average. Ryan's stats are not as good as they appear given the QB friendly league the NFL has become.

Its one game. On the road. On opening night. Against the defending Super Bowl champions. 

If your central tenet is that the QB isnt good enough following a two season run featuring a Super Bowl appearance, a playoff win, and a loss to the future Super Bowl champions in their stadium on their goal line, you may need to recalibrate your expectations. 

11 hours ago, PokerSteve said:

lol. 

Bro. Stop. 

On 9/11/2018 at 1:32 AM, ChickenBiscuit said:

Letting Matt Ryan walk unless we had a sure-fire replacement would be a disaster.

He got paid his market value. If we didn't, then Arizona or New York or any team without a QB would have. 

Franchise tag ?

6 hours ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

Its one game. On the road. On opening night. Against the defending Super Bowl champions. 

If your central tenet is that the QB isnt good enough following a two season run featuring a Super Bowl appearance, a playoff win, and a loss to the future Super Bowl champions in their stadium on their goal line, you may need to recalibrate your expectations. 

My expectations is the Falcons would be a 9-7 teams BEFORE the injuries to Neal and Jones. I never expected the Falcons to turn it around offensively this year. While this might be Ryan's worst game ever, his struggle in the endzone isn't starting with the first game but continuing since last year. The defense has been improving while the offense has been struggling. Even when the Falcons made the playoffs it wasn't because the offense ever caught fire.

11 minutes ago, Intellectually Honest said:

My expectations is the Falcons would be a 9-7 teams BEFORE the injuries to Neal and Jones. I never expected the Falcons to turn it around offensively this year. While this might be Ryan's worst game ever, his struggle in the endzone isn't starting with the first game but continuing since last year. The defense has been improving while the offense has been struggling. Even when the Falcons made the playoffs it wasn't because the offense ever caught fire.

lol @ this being Ryan's worst game ever. 

As for your expectations, aside from the obvious and long-established disconnect between any realistic expectations and your own, I'm not really concerned with them. You've got a pretty clear methodology here. When things don't go perfect, you'll bark about it. When things go well, you'll find the nit to pick. When things go poorly, you and the dozen or so other malcontents will be here spreading your "wisdom" with all of us. 

It is what it is. And it is....a road game....against the defending Super Bowl champions...a team we dont matchup all that well against....on a field where we NEVER look full speed....on opening night of the season....on the evening the champs get their rings. 

A goal line loss, albeit frustrating and dejavu inducing, isnt enough to panic over.  

6 hours ago, Eazy123 said:

Franchise tag ?

Would cost ~$26-$28 million in 2019, a move that would cost us ~$6 million in 2018 cap space and another ~$5-6million in 2019 cap space. 
A second franchise tag would require an additional 20% bonus on top of that....which would likely push the number to ~$31-$33 million in 2020....at best, thats cap neutral in 2020 compared to the extension. 

5 minutes ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

lol @ this being Ryan's worst game ever. 

As for your expectations, aside from the obvious and long-established disconnect between any realistic expectations and your own, I'm not really concerned with them. You've got a pretty clear methodology here. When things don't go perfect, you'll bark about it. When things go well, you'll find the nit to pick. When things go poorly, you and the dozen or so other malcontents will be here spreading your "wisdom" with all of us. 

It is what it is. And it is....a road game....against the defending Super Bowl champions...a team we dont matchup all that well against....on a field where we NEVER look full speed....on opening night of the season....on the evening the champs get their rings. 

A goal line loss, albeit frustrating and dejavu inducing, isnt enough to panic over.  

I bark about it when things aren't perfect? Didn't you just accuse me of unrealistic expectations and then when I didn't have any then it doesn't matter.  My nit picking is based on the desire for the Falcons to improve instead of just assuming things will just improve on based on fandom. As for being the SB champs, that means nothing because we seen Champs do poorly in the following year for whatever reason, and given the fact that the champs lacked their WR 1 and their starting QB which means they were handicapped by comparison. It's not like they were full strength.

When your starters are getting beat by another teams backups, and worse, the backups are not even playing that well to begin with, what does that say about the starters? The problem isn't even the talent of the Eagles but the lack of learning from the Falcons, especially on the offensive play calling when Sark was calling the same play over and over again, especially on the final drive near the endzone. So not only was the Eagles backups playing bad but the Falcons starters were worse. Isn't the offense supposed to be the strength of the team?

Last year the D was bailing the team out. This year it doesn't look like they will be healthy enough to do that.

2 minutes ago, Intellectually Honest said:

I bark about it when things aren't perfect? Didn't you just accuse me of unrealistic expectations and then when I didn't have any then it doesn't matter.  My nit picking is based on the desire for the Falcons to improve instead of just assuming things will just improve on based on fandom. As for being the SB champs, that means nothing because we seen Champs do poorly in the following year for whatever reason, and given the fact that the champs lacked their WR 1 and their starting QB which means they were handicapped by comparison. It's not like they were full strength.

When your starters are getting beat by another teams backups, and worse, the backups are not even playing that well to begin with, what does that say about the starters? The problem isn't even the talent of the Eagles but the lack of learning from the Falcons, especially on the offensive play calling when Sark was calling the same play over and over again, especially on the final drive near the endzone. So not only was the Eagles backups playing bad but the Falcons starters were worse. Isn't the offense supposed to be the strength of the team?

Last year the D was bailing the team out. This year it doesn't look like they will be healthy enough to do that.

Last year the defense was comfortably worse than the offense and was a large part of why the offense saw such a decrease in "production." So theres that....

As for being the SB champs that means nothing.....yeah okay. Wish you the best on that one. The defense is still terrific. The coaching staff is still doing a very good job. They didnt have their starting QB....but had the same starting QB that helped them win a Super Bowl. They didnt have their "WR 1" (although thats debatable) but did have one of the all time great LTs take over for one of the worst LTs in the league. They also had a very very good defensive front add yet another elite DL. 

No one said that was a good performance. There were a number of things that didnt go well. So it goes. Working from one data point do "wurr doooooomed" is the lol part. 

15 hours ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

Last year the defense was comfortably worse than the offense and was a large part of why the offense saw such a decrease in "production." So theres that....

As for being the SB champs that means nothing.....yeah okay. Wish you the best on that one. The defense is still terrific. The coaching staff is still doing a very good job. They didnt have their starting QB....but had the same starting QB that helped them win a Super Bowl. They didnt have their "WR 1" (although thats debatable) but did have one of the all time great LTs take over for one of the worst LTs in the league. They also had a very very good defensive front add yet another elite DL. 

No one said that was a good performance. There were a number of things that didnt go well. So it goes. Working from one data point do "wurr doooooomed" is the lol part. 

Yeah the backup won the Superbowl who played a great game to win it. He didn't during this last time.. So on top of playing the backups, the backups didn't play well and they still lost. Lets say the roles were reversed, and Atlanta was without Ryan and Julio, and the Eagles were healthy, how close would the game been?