Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PHALCONABERNATHY

Takeaways from this game.

67 posts in this topic

Encouraging things I saw tonight I actuallly thought our undersized defensive front stood up quiet well against the run the issue in the end was they wore down because our offense didn't do there job.

Thought Duke Riley was pretty solid tonightand Kazee made a **** of a play creating that turnover.

Julio was Julio expectations are so high on him I thought in the end he's was basically the go to once we couldn't establish the run.

Disappointments Yep I'll  start at the top Matt Ryan,I didn't like his ball placement tonight saw several throws where is placement was off and off by a lot.The deep shot to Julio 1 on 1 with Darby was one and the other one was in the 3rd qtr he threw a ball to inside for Julio and Darby got his hand to it and if he got it to the sideline Julio makes that catch.

Mack and the right side of the o-line had there hands full tonight and of the 3 Schraeder struggled mightily giving up to many penalties and couldn't get the edge blocked so we couldn't get outside.

Bottom line for me the offense needs to pull its finger out we had at least 3 blown opportunities to score TDs

DQ talks finishing that's what this teams supposedly about so they need to finish.

My takeaway: we can change coaches and GM's every year and somehow we will be a soft, puzz-*** team every year. Every year that surfaces, and it doesn't matter who we draft, who our coaches are or who our GM is. We just come up as soft, frightened worms when it matters. Somehow, we come up with enough moral victories to be fans and talk ourselves into doing the same crap the next year. You really have to marvel at the psychology of it.

3 hours ago, Jesus said:

If the FB doesn't jack up his helmet or something and break off his block, Freeman has a better chance. Not sure what happens but the FB grabs his helmet rather than get the next guy and Freeman doesn't score.

Why not playaction and throw a pass to a TE in the endzone?

Philly read that 4th down outside run all the way and sold out on it. Play action to the back side TE and we score with ease. 

4 hours ago, Jesus said:

The worst drive of the night was the one after the repunt where they started off with the hold then the 5 yard loss on the screen pass and were forced to punt, which set up the Eagles with a short field and the go ahead score. Why is this team not smitty balling there and trying to work the clock?

I knew we were gonna be **** from the first “play” which was a penalty...

I'll keep it simple.

Highs:

• Defense -  Nice performance considering they were totally left out to dry.
  • Kazee is just a natural born playmaker.
  • I saw some nice concepts from the O in the 1st quarter.
  • Julio wasn't bad.

Lows:

• Offense was hot garbage after 1st quarter. 
  • Line folded at Philly's whim,
  • Matt Ryan transformed into Benkert with less mobility,
  • Freeman returned to postseason form in pass blocking and now appears to be impactfully injured.
  • Formations and motion didn't matter as we seemed to only have one receiver. 
  • Sloppy all the way around including refs and replay officials.  Not For Long feeling more and more likely as I watch.
  • Keke's knee.

I can't believe I wished away most my week to see that garbage.

vitaman and Domed Outter like this

4 hours ago, PHALCONABERNATHY said:

I just can’t see this offense being that stagnant all year.

I think we'll be fine. We're looking at a 10-6 record imo.

6 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

That 3rd down play at the end Sanu was open but Ryan never looked at him. Ryan was so bad tonight. He was not seeing the field at all. Didn't help that the middle of the OL was getting pushed back into his lap every other play.

Show me.  I made a post with screen grabs of that entire drive.  Sanu never got open. Even more 3rd down is the one where Matt got hit immediately. 

Shelley#37 likes this

Based on this game, I know how the season is going.  It will be up and down.  A step forward, a step back.  Splits with the Saints, splits with the Panthers.  No momentum will be gained.  Quinn will be on the hot seat at the end of the season and Sark will need to be fired.  Another year of our short window will be wasted.  You ended up in the same situation as you were in last year with these guys and it ended the exact same way.  Quinn is better than Mora and Mike Smith, but I only feel that he is about 75% going into games.  That is a low "C" using a classic school grading scale.  He may not fail, completely as a coach, but he isn't going to stand out and do much for you.  He is not a "genius" play caller.  He isn't a "Defensive Mastermind."  He is just there,  Mike Smith with a little more charisma.  For the love of all that is holy, somebody PLEASE call somebody out.  Those kinds of statements make guys "Self evaluate."  The great ones call people out all the time.  OC needs to be called out.  Imagine how "Motivated" people might be if Matt for once said, this Offense isn't working.  There is no pressure to do better in this organization.

Big problems I saw last night in no particular order.

1. No creativity at all on offense.

2. Lack of red zone effectiveness

3. QB that can't step up and make a throw.  Stay in the pocket and stop giving up on plays 2 seconds in, even if the OL sucks, you have to find somebody, make a play.

4. OL that can't block.  Can't run block, can't pass block.

4. Players that WERE NOT prepared to play.  No preseason snaps, physically they were not ready to deal with the rigors of the game.  Mentally they were not ready.

5. Too many predictable runs.

6.  Running backs that are the equivalent of a super car int Atlanta traffic at rush our on Friday before a long weekend.  Looks great, but can't do what it was built to do.  Not going to outrun anyone, NO BANG for your buck.

7. Julio gave up on that INT.  

8. I feel like Sanu and Ridley didn't play last night.

9. STILL the dumbest move was letting the QB coach leave when you knew your OC was gone.  

10. Staff has NO feel for the game.  Quin goes for it on 4th down in the first quarter.  What gave him confidence we were going to get it?

6 hours ago, PHALCONABERNATHY said:

So, where do I begin? First of all, I’m not a super mind like @PeytonMannings Forehead Or any of my other cohorts here but I’ll say I’m not THAT upset with the loss. I’ll go a bit backward and start from the last series of plays. First of all, the o line did NOT give Matt enough time to get rid of the ball in a backyard football type situation when he had to throw the ball in the end zone. Granted, Matt was locked into Julio so I don’t think we’d have scored anyway, but still with that type of protection, it’s an added difficulty.

Now, throughout the game the offense was sloppy. Sarkisian did not have a good game and Matt did not either period. He was off and had some terrible throws. A touchdown to Freeman missed, first down to Julio missed, bad throw to Sanu and the last series was pitiful.

Defensively, the group played well as a unit. I think fatigue set in and that was all she wrote. The cramps were painful to watch, literally and Neal and Beasley out of the game were huge. There’s really not much more to say about them other than they weren’t the reason for the loss.

All in all, I’m not that upset because both teams played sloppy, both teams had tons of penalties and neither one looked completely in sync. I want to say that it wouldn’t have mattered if Wentz and Jeffery played, but if they did this game probably wouldn’t have been close. That said, we’ve got a lot of work to do and Sarkisian in my opinion has started the season out on the hot seat.

You forgot...they left 4 points on the field.  That last drive we could had only been down by two and a field goal woild had won the game. To me, that's the biggest take away from the game. 

jas82487 likes this

6 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

That 3rd down play at the end Sanu was open but Ryan never looked at him. Ryan was so bad tonight. He was not seeing the field at all. Didn't help that the middle of the OL was getting pushed back into his lap every other play.

Thank you. Matt has got to see that. And the zone blocking scheme gets killed in the red zone.

Falconsfan567 likes this

We need to change some of our mindset. We still need a big banger to go with Coleman and Freeman we need to sign defensive tackle Hankins. We need more creativity on offense 12 to 18 points a game just ain't gonna  do. What we were scoring 30 pts. a game with Shanny?

isproab likes this

Long snapper does matter. Bad snap means missed extra point. 

Also what's the deal with Philly fans booing hurt players. That's classless. 

3 minutes ago, Gold4425 said:

We need to change some of our mindset. We still need a big banger to go with Coleman and Freeman we need to sign defensive tackle Hankins. We need more creativity on offense 12 to 18 points a game just ain't gonna  do. What we were scoring 30 pts. a game with Shanny?

You are correct.  I don't think Ito will get it done either.  He wasn't on the field much in preseason.  We need a Jay Ajayi type.  There has to be a 220 pound RB that can fall forward for 2 yards and run for power.  Since we found Freeman, they gave up on that.  Also goes back to my last post, somebody PLEASE call this bull crap out!  Its just like UGA with Mark Richt.  The mentality was wrong, he had no fire.  Nice guy, but no killer instinct.  He played and coached like a "nice guy."  Yet the consummate a-hole in Saban won everything.  Belichick is the NFL equivalent.  I need this bunch of "nice guys" that "say the right thing" and give constant "coach speak" to rock the boat.  Maybe if some guys walked on egg shells the team would put out the effort it needs.

Somebody tell Julio, get your butt on the field, stay on the field, and don't bobble what hit you in the hands.  Somebody tell Matt, hey, you are scheduled to be the highest payed QB in NFL history, stand it there, take a shot if you have to and make a stick throw.  Hey, Schraeder, you gonna block somebody or play pitty-pat and let the man make the tackle.  Sanu, did you get on the plane?  If you give pi$$ poor effort, you need to be called out.  We get 4 catches for 18 yards from a guy making 6.1 millions dollars this year, what a steal for Sanu!

6 hours ago, PHALCONABERNATHY said:

I just can’t see this offense being that stagnant all year.

Eh, it actually was for most of last year too. As i posted after the game, last night was the 5th time in the last 15 games in which the Opponent was held under 21 points and the Falcons still lost.

Other than one game against Seattle (34-31 win), the Defense has been carrying a disproportionate load for awhile now. Which seems odd to say given the supposed star power on Offense. But the scoreboard don't lie. 

7 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Here's the thing, it's 1 game. Was it a ****** game? Yes. But it's 1 game in Philadelphia. Even the great Kyle Shanahan 2016 Falcons offense scored only 15 points and lost there. The Falcons just have to find a way to avoid playing at Philly in the playoffs. We'll be fine.

The difference is that the 2016 team had been playing for 8+ straight weeks. They were dog tired, this team had absolutely zero excuse for that poor performance. 

Stray Dog THA GAWD likes this

16 minutes ago, Jesus said:

It's actually a step up for them, they usually cheer like when Irvin broke his neck.

47 minutes ago, nomak said:

You forgot...they left 4 points on the field.  That last drive we could had only been down by two and a field goal woild had won the game. To me, that's the biggest take away from the game. 

We left 7 points on the field 

3 from going for it on 4th, 3 from Matt's INT and the missed extra point.

Falconsfan567 and jas82487 like this

What I saw was a team that looked like they were laying on the couch last week and just learned they had a game to play.  They didn't play nearly enough in the preseason to get ready.  They set an all time record for number of penalties... that says a lot!  They weren't even in shape.  Sark didn't have the greatest game but I can't blame him this time.. .this is all on DQ.  You got to take the 3 pts to get the team going, that was an awful decision.  The blocking was terrible and Ryan was throwing to the wrong receiver and many times he just made terrible throws.  The interception was from lack of preparation.  

1 hour ago, Malachore said:

I stand corrected. But that was more on Julio than Matt and Julio admitted it, however they are obtained.

13 hours ago, momak said:

Not really we just got to play better.

Cant have this we need to avoid that team as historically we struggled to play there.

We need to find a way to click on all cylinders then its the case of bring anyone on anytime anywhere.

I believe the Falcons could play the Eagles in Philadelphia 100 times and the Eagles would win 99 of them. The Eagles just match up with the Falcons perfectly. It's why even the great Kyle Shanahan couldn't beat them and the offense only scored 15 points. Some times just match up better with others and it takes a special circumstance for the other team to win. NFL history is rooted in the same teams meeting in the playoffs year after year after year and the same results happening until that one miracle time where something special happens and there is a different result.

8 hours ago, RubberDucky said:

Show me.  I made a post with screen grabs of that entire drive.  Sanu never got open. Even more 3rd down is the one where Matt got hit immediately. 

Go back to the 3rd down play at the end. Julio draws the double coverage and Sanu beats his man to the inside and there was a clear path to get him the ball. Even Cris Collinsworth pointed it out Sanu was open but Ryan was trying to force it to Julio. I can't post the screenshot. Post it in this thread, frame by frame from the sky cam replay they showed and you'll see Sanu breaking open right as Ryan releases the ball.

7 hours ago, Jesus said:

The snap wasn't great but the hold was fine. Bryant just missed the kick. Got to put that all on Bryant. He can't miss that.

7 hours ago, Malachore said:

And they lost the game by 6. Those 7 points and it's a 19-18 Falcons win.

7 hours ago, Jesus said:

They seemed to think Takk was faking the injury to slow the momentum of their drive.