67 posts in this topic

So, where do I begin? First of all, I’m not a super mind like @PeytonMannings Forehead Or any of my other cohorts here but I’ll say I’m not THAT upset with the loss. I’ll go a bit backward and start from the last series of plays. First of all, the o line did NOT give Matt enough time to get rid of the ball in a backyard football type situation when he had to throw the ball in the end zone. Granted, Matt was locked into Julio so I don’t think we’d have scored anyway, but still with that type of protection, it’s an added difficulty.

Now, throughout the game the offense was sloppy. Sarkisian did not have a good game and Matt did not either period. He was off and had some terrible throws. A touchdown to Freeman missed, first down to Julio missed, bad throw to Sanu and the last series was pitiful.

Defensively, the group played well as a unit. I think fatigue set in and that was all she wrote. The cramps were painful to watch, literally and Neal and Beasley out of the game were huge. There’s really not much more to say about them other than they weren’t the reason for the loss.

All in all, I’m not that upset because both teams played sloppy, both teams had tons of penalties and neither one looked completely in sync. I want to say that it wouldn’t have mattered if Wentz and Jeffery played, but if they did this game probably wouldn’t have been close. That said, we’ve got a lot of work to do and Sarkisian in my opinion has started the season out on the hot seat.

Its just the way we lost, 5 attempts at the red zone for 1 almost catch.

Numerous screens that lost yards.

Basically no sustained drives to give our defense a break.

Losing to Philly in Philly isn't the end of the world but if Neal is out for the season it becomes a disaster game.

Diggable Birds likes this

Here's the thing, it's 1 game. Was it a ****** game? Yes. But it's 1 game in Philadelphia. Even the great Kyle Shanahan 2016 Falcons offense scored only 15 points and lost there. The Falcons just have to find a way to avoid playing at Philly in the playoffs. We'll be fine.

Vandy and Drew4719 like this

3 minutes ago, quotemokc said:

Losing to Philly in Philly isn't the end of the world but if Neal is out for the season it becomes a disaster game.

That 3rd down play at the end Sanu was open but Ryan never looked at him. Ryan was so bad tonight. He was not seeing the field at all. Didn't help that the middle of the OL was getting pushed back into his lap every other play.

putnam6, PokerSteve, Vandy and 2 others like this

Just now, Falconsfan567 said:

Here's the thing, it's 1 game. Was it a ****** game? Yes. But it's 1 game in Philadelphia. Even the great Kyle Shanahan 2016 Falcons offense scored only 15 points and lost there. The Falcons just have to find a way to avoid playing at Philly in the playoffs. We'll be fine.

Agreed. I think most people here thought this was going to be some kind of cake walk, and there just was no chance of that, yet here the Falcons were, struggling offense and all, knocking on a win with 1 second remaining. 

4 minutes ago, quotemokc said:

I like Kazee.  

Diggable Birds and quotemokc like this

The worst drive of the night was the one after the repunt where they started off with the hold then the 5 yard loss on the screen pass and were forced to punt, which set up the Eagles with a short field and the go ahead score. Why is this team not smitty balling there and trying to work the clock?

18 minutes ago, PHALCONABERNATHY said:

So, where do I begin? First of all, I’m not a super mind like @PeytonMannings Forehead Or any of my other cohorts here but I’ll say I’m not THAT upset with the loss. I’ll go a bit backward and start from the last series of plays. First of all, the o line did NOT give Matt enough time to get rid of the ball in a backyard football type situation when he had to throw the ball in the end zone. Granted, Matt was locked into Julio so I don’t think we’d have scored anyway, but still with that type of protection, it’s an added difficulty.

Now, throughout the game the offense was sloppy. Sarkisian did not have a good game and Matt did not either period. He was off and had some terrible throws. A touchdown to Freeman missed, first down to Julio missed, bad throw to Sanu and the last series was pitiful.

Defensively, the group played well as a unit. I think fatigue set in and that was all she wrote. The cramps were painful to watch, literally and Neal and Beasley out of the game were huge. There’s really not much more to say about them other than they weren’t the reason for the loss.

All in all, I’m not that upset because both teams played sloppy, both teams had tons of penalties and neither one looked completely in sync. I want to say that it wouldn’t have mattered if Wentz and Jeffery played, but if they did this game probably wouldn’t have been close. That said, we’ve got a lot of work to do and Sarkisian in my opinion has started the season out on the hot seat.

Hot seat! Burning up I hope... Coleman freeman Jones sanu and not to mention gave you a 1st round wr pick... No way 12 points is acceptable... 20 should be the least and thats with a terrible game... No effin way we shouldn't average 30 points a game... Wasting effin talent in prime years honestly... But Matt Ryan " get your SHIDDT TOGETHER"

Edited by Sipifalcon

21 minutes ago, Jesus said:

The worst drive of the night was the one after the repunt where they started off with the hold then the 5 yard loss on the screen pass and were forced to punt, which set up the Eagles with a short field and the go ahead score. Why is this team not smitty balling there and trying to work the clock?

Because this team isn't built to run out the clock with the lead. It's the same reason we can't score touchdowns in the red zone. Falcons aren't stout enough at the point of attack so we have to try to trick them to gain yards on the ground and it's extremely difficult to do that again a defensive front as good as the Eagles. It's why we can't afford to have Ryan out there playing like crap and receivers dropping passes and getting called for dumb penalties. Thankfully there's only a couple of defenses in the NFL like the Eagles. It's why I think in the long run the Falcons will be fine.

FIRST POSSESSION Red Zone - Give to Freeman and he does nothing but lose yardage. I think Coleman is our best chance at scoring with 1-3 yards than Freeman mainly because his head of steam straight at the defense along with his weight will at least gain something positive.  

Stray Dog THA GAWD likes this

1 minute ago, osiruz said:

To be fair the OL was embarassed and looked like a bunch of sissies. What is worse is the lack of creativity and lack of lunch from stale steve. I think Matt Shaub could probably coach this offense better.

I'm wondering if Shaub can get those red zone passes in the Ryan can't seem to get. They need to contact Nick Saban at Bama and get his advice.

38 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

That 3rd down play at the end Sanu was open but Ryan never looked at him. Ryan was so bad tonight. He was not seeing the field at all. Didn't help that the middle of the OL was getting pushed back into his lap every other play.

Watching the NFL Network, he also missed an open Free on one attempt in the end zone, overthrew him, and then didn't throw to a wide open Free in the left flat on the play he threw to Hooper in the end zone. 

Heard this stat on NFL Network. Ryan is 1 for 20 when throwing to Julio in the end zone over the past two years including playoffs. 

4 minutes ago, falconfansince66 said:

FIRST POSSESSION Red Zone - Give to Freeman and he does nothing but lose yardage. I think Coleman is our best chance at scoring with 1-3 yards than Freeman mainly because his head of steam straight at the defense along with his weight will at least gain something positive.  

If the FB doesn't jack up his helmet or something and break off his block, Freeman has a better chance. Not sure what happens but the FB grabs his helmet rather than get the next guy and Freeman doesn't score.

Why not playaction and throw a pass to a TE in the endzone?

1 minute ago, Jesus said:

If the FB doesn't jack up his helmet or something and break off his block, Freeman has a better chance. Not sure what happens but the FB grabs his helmet rather than get the next guy and Freeman doesn't score.

Why not playaction and throw a pass to a TE in the endzone?

To be honest, I'd be more comfortable with Sanu in the 'Wildcat'.

Just now, falconfansince66 said:

To be honest, I'd be more comfortable with Sanu in the 'Wildcat'.

It would be different. None of the plays in the redzone seem to work to the team's strengths. In 2016 everyone is a target. Last year and this, only one guy is. 

Just now, Jesus said:

It would be different. None of the plays in the redzone seem to work to the team's strengths. In 2016 everyone is a target. Last year and this, only one guy is. 

We got to start mixing something up or we're going to be kicking FG's all year again.

Stray Dog THA GAWD and Jesus like this

It was a mess from our first offensive possession honestly & you could already tell at that point the something was off with Matt tonight.

After having a bunch of success moving the ball & driving down the field, they came up short on 3rd & goal from the 1. I think most QBs would be out there pleading with the coach to go for it in that situation (4th & goal from the 1) & I think Ryan would've done that in the past. But tonight he had already conceded & was headed to the sidelines ready to settle for a FG when DQ was like, "Nah man, get your *** back there"

Unfortunately, communication all across the board seemed to be a total mess in that situation & it really felt like they rushed it rather than using everything at their disposal & calling a play with a high success rate in order to take advantage of the situation.

Why on Earth would you not just line up & try to get the D to jump w/ a hard count? Run the playclock down & if they don't flinch, take the timeout. That entire time your QB is trying to get them to jump offsides, AND the ensuing time during the timeout, the coaches would've had literally a few full minutes to decide what play to actually run in that situation.

Instead, they totally rushed the call, rushed the play, and got shut the @#$% down. 

vitaman and dfsutton like this

Some key takeaways from the game. While I love ballsy moves and believe that there is a time and a place for them, going for it on 4th down from the jump against the reigning SB Champs seems like a recipe for disaster.

Ryan had an awful game, the interception in the redzone was a huge one and seemed to deflate a bit of momentum. 

We need to play smarter, take the points when we can and not shoot ourselves in the foot. If we had hit field goals on both the aforementioned plays we would have won. (Not counting for the missed Bryant Extra Point.)

That being said Philly is a tough road game. It becomes even tougher with them being as good as they are. First games are always rough and Thursday night games seem to have adverse effects on a lot of teams. Not excusing anyone for their mistakes, we definitely need to play better. Just a little perspective. 

Edited by Sidecar Falcon

1 hour ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Not really we just got to play better.

Cant have this we need to avoid that team as historically we struggled to play there.

We need to find a way to click on all cylinders then its the case of bring anyone on anytime anywhere.

34 minutes ago, falconfansince66 said:

I agree with this. Freeman is very good but Coleman is better near the end zone.

48 minutes ago, osiruz said:

To be fair the OL was embarassed and looked like a bunch of sissies. What is worse is the lack of creativity and lack of punch from stale steve. I think Matt Shaub could probably coach this offense better.

I've played Madden games against the cpu on novice settings that called a better game than Sark did tonight.

Stray Dog THA GAWD likes this