Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

⚡Slumerican⚡

Greg Knapp’s role in Falcons’ offensive scheming might be larger than realized

124 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Stryka said:

Fluff material.  Knapp is an offensive assistant, QB Coach.  There are a handful of guys in the booth every game. Nothing special.   The SINGLE most BIGGEST  improvement will be Sark having an offseason to digest 18 games of play calls.  Our offense was top 10 in the league with him.  He has even more talent this year.  He said it himself that he was just used to trotting out his talent at USC or UW and his guys being able to beat other guys.  He had to adjust to NFL looks, formations and all the disguise used to tip off what an offense is trying to do.  The year went on and he got better at utilizing motion, formations and personnel groupings to give us an advantage.  Still has much room to grow and the 4th down call in Philly still leaves a bitter taste in all of our mouths.  I think Sark is a smart guy, you dont get bounced around as a OC if you cant call plays and put guys in position to win.  He has led some elite offenses including ours and I think this year we will progress more and possibly into Top 5 territory.  Shanahan had that killer instinct in which he would call a game we are up in to deliver back breaker scores to kill momentum for the other teams.  We dont need to score 17 in a half and then ride it out, we need to score 30 if its there for the taking. 

We averaged 20 ppg over the last 7, he didn't figure anything out. 

⚡Slumerican⚡ likes this

4 minutes ago, Malachore said:

We averaged 20 ppg over the last 7, he didn't figure anything out. 

And totally pis$ed the bed in the eagles game.. That's when I really develop a distain for Sark.. It's going to take alot for me to get past that total melt down of play calling during the entire game 

Malachore likes this

38 minutes ago, falconidae said:

Yeah, don't know enough to challenge that, do know enough to know you know a lot more about football than I do.  I'll concede the point. 

What you think of the idea he's a much better QB coach than OC?

I mean I can get with that line of thinking. I see a lot of people citing Peyton; I don’t know how much you’re actually coaching Peyton Manning at that point in his career but guys like Garcia, Schaub, even T.J. Yates had some moments and played well under his charge.

And, no matter who your quarterback coach is, he’s going to be heavily involved in game planning and putting together the sheet at this level, so his contributions have always been a more substantial when he was a position coach than title would suggest.

rounz and Ergo Proxy like this

4 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

Just putting the info out there but we averaged 21.8 points over the first 9 games and 22.3 over the final 7.

Im going to bury my issues with Sark tonight, tomorrow starts a new season.. I'll hit reset and see where things go, I love the Falcons like everyone else here and it's probably not healthy for me to go into the season with a negative attitude for our play caller.. If Sark makes a complete turn around this year, we'll all be happy.. But if it's the same senseless plays defenses sniff out before the ball is even in Ryan's hands I'm not going to say a word.. Someone else can take over the banner of wth is Sark here.. It's gonna take alot for me to swallow this and move on but it is necessary to start this season on a positive note 

14 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

Just putting the info out there but we averaged 21.8 points over the first 9 games and 22.3 over the final 7.

While the interior OL became a weakness vs dominant lines; even though Wes was better later in the year we hurt immensly once Levitre went down on top of the FB situation.

Vikings

Panthers 2nd game at home(remember we scored a TD on Levitre's only drive to start that game? FGs rest of the way)

Rams[sans 2nd half with TOP help from STs to wear down Rams, Free injury covered by STs help]

Eagles; injured Free and still could've won it at the end with the LOS concerns/FB being a big liability

People keep pretending the 2017 lineup was the SAME last year as the 2016. Weapons were the same in name only, but the LOS battle was completely different. Big drop off in terms of consistency and injuries; something that didn't hit the OL in 2016 until the SB(!).

Plus, teams had an offseason to scout us. Something not able to be done as thoroughly; let alone roster moves mid-season, to address in division opponents. Division was bound to be tougher in of itself. Free and Coleman hurt? Big plays down from LOS being not quite as good running the ball or the time Matt had to throw? I'll just say Kyle knew how to work the right looks and tendencies to be able to take his shots. In terms of playcalling, which is the main gripe people seem to tunnel vision on. But then simple mistakes like WRs dropping a pass, getting Matt intercepted, the weird butt INT. Just a focus problem to me. We protected the D more in terms of TOP but the D was worse at turnovers and getting off the field.

Couple that dynamic with a poor STs unit at helping either side of the ball with field position no wonder Sark; understaffed, and vs more prepared defenses for what Atlanta did in 2016 we were due for regression. Hope that rebounding to the 'mean' gets us around 28 PPG but I'll take more if they get back at full capabilities. RG/FB(Ortiz unknown)/Ridley and some key progression from guys like Hooper/Saubert with healthy RBs plus a fully TRAINED offseason (instead of rehabbed) from Julio can have us primed for big things.

Work week prep by Sark simply not doing the QBs room will be huge. He has a proven guy in that regard. One that helped Manning in his historic Denver season. He should know what to do with helping guide that room week to week. Sark had like an intern there last year compared to LaFleur.

1 minute ago, ⚡Slumerican⚡ said:

Im going to bury my issues with Sark tonight, tomorrow starts a new season.. I'll hit reset and see where things go, I love the Falcons like everyone else here and it's probably not healthy for me to go into the season with a negative attitude for our play caller.. If Sark makes a complete turn around this year, we'll all be happy.. But if it's the same senseless plays defenses sniff out before the ball is even in Ryan's hands I'm not going to say a word.. Someone else can take over the banner of wth is Sark here.. It's gonna take alot for me to swallow this and move on but it is necessary to start this season on a positive note 

That’s a healthy attitude bro. I mean skepticism is warranted but let’s not be so blinded by last year that we lose perspective. There was a lot that went wrong last season beyond who was calling the plays... and a lot that went right. 

Wasnt too long ago back-to-back winning seasons were foreign around here. Then it seemed like it took forever to get that first playoff win with Matt. Now we’re up in arms after a second round playoff loss to a team we’ve always struggled against on their home turf.

The bar has been raised. That’s a good thing however you slice it.

From our friends from ESPN

8. Atlanta Falcons

FPI projected Super Bowl odds: 6.2 percent

Can the Falcons get their playoff defense to show up during the regular season? Dan Quinn's team managed to coax great performances out of Deion Jones & Co. during each of the past two postseasons, but the Falcons have ranked 26nd and 22nd in DVOA, respectively, over the past two regular-season campaigns. The talent level and the relative youth of this defense -- 10 of Atlanta's 11 likely starters in Week 1 are players who have been drafted by the Falcons over the past five seasons -- suggest that they can make a leap past league average in 2018.

Clear up the defensive problems, and the offense also should be able to improve, given that much of the decline under Steve Sarkisian amounted to a lack of opportunity. The Falcons ran a league-low 157 meaningful offensive possessions last season, far below the average of 179 and in another universe from the 195 possessions Arizona's offense saw in 2017. Fans are down on Sarkisian as he heads into his second season, but it's fair to remember that they once felt the same way about Kyle Shanahan, too.

6 hours ago, rounz said:

Maybe I'm being overly optimistic, but I really think he's going to be better this year; and not because Shanny did it his second year..

Last year, it was almost like he was thrown into the fire. It was:  "Here, we just went to the Super Bowl. So duplicate what Shanny just did, and be quick about it!". 

(Edit: Well, maybe not everything Shanny just did :()

That had to be some pressure, (although that doesn't excuse some of his play-calling.) 

This year he will have experienced help in Knapp, and he's had a year on the job, so we should see improvement.

And that should be enough to get us to the Big Dance, 'cause we just missed it by that much last year.

I definitely think he will be better, but how much better? Enough to win playoff games?

2015 Shanny was 1000x better playcaller than 2017 Sark for anyone with eyeballs. 

Experience or not, jet sweep from the 1 and draw to ward with the NFCC on the line are terrible calls in peewee league, let alone the NFL. 

⚡Slumerican⚡ likes this

42 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

Are you talking final 7 regular season games? I was talking final 5 reg +2 playoff.

⚡Slumerican⚡ likes this

26 minutes ago, NeonDeion said:

I definitely think he will be better, but how much better? Enough to win playoff games?

2015 Shanny was 1000x better playcaller than 2017 Sark for anyone with eyeballs. 

Experience or not, jet sweep from the 1 and draw to ward with the NFCC on the line are terrible calls in peewee league, let alone the NFL. 

I agree with that, Kyle didn't call bad plays in 15..we just didn't make the plays and Ryan's timing seemed way off.. But, lets give Sark a chance.. It's a new season tomorrow and time will tell.. Maybe with Knapp help, even if some fans won't acknowledge it.. We'll look like a fluid offense 

32 minutes ago, NeonDeion said:

Yeah, barring catastrophe I think this team with him as OC can win. Knapp should take some of the pressure off of him and if Sark's bright at all, he learned from last year.

And I do believe all that, but, truthfully it's more that I just have to have faith in our FO.

There must be a reason they wanted Sark.  It's just not possible that the whole Falcon Braintrust would miss that badly. Especially now with so much on the line.

Right?

1 minute ago, rounz said:

Yeah, barring catastrophe I think this team with him as OC can win. Knapp should take some of the pressure off of him and if Sark's bright at all, he learned from last year.

And I believe all that, but, truthfully it's more that I just have to have faith in our FO.

There must be a reason they wanted Sark.  It's just not possible that the whole Falcon Braintrust would miss that badly. Especially now with so much on the line.

Knapp was brought in for a reason.. Even if I have to give all credit to sark, in my mind Knapp is our key to success.. But I'm not going to go into tomorrows game with a chip on my shoulder against Sark, I'll allow his play calling to speak for itself 

rounz likes this

15 minutes ago, ⚡Slumerican⚡ said:

Knapp was brought in for a reason.. Even if I have to give all credit to sark, in my mind Knapp is our key to success.. But I'm not going to go into tomorrows game with a chip on my shoulder against Sark, I'll allow his play calling to speak for itself 

I'm all for anything that will help us. And my thought was that it might work into a successful partnership like the one between Pioli and Dimi. 

II think most of us are a little antsy about the game, because we really didn't see very much of what this team will really look like this year.

But, yeah, let's at least give Sark a chance

3 hours ago, ⚡Slumerican⚡ said:

I agree with that, Kyle didn't call bad plays in 15..we just didn't make the plays and Ryan's timing seemed way off.. But, lets give Sark a chance.. It's a new season tomorrow and time will tell.. Maybe with Knapp help, even if some fans won't acknowledge it.. We'll look like a fluid offense 

I’m giving him a chance. But if he hands the ball to Ito Smith instead of TeCo with the season on the line, I’m gonna lose my mind. 

11 hours ago, ⚡Slumerican⚡ said:

You mean Steve sarkisian? I'm actually thankful we have Knapp here to "help" Sark run our offense 

And I do not hate Sark, I just believe he's a college oc and he just isn't cut out for the pros.. And if he proves me wrong, I'll be happy to make a post to celebrate his success 

Just like Sabian, he's a college coach.. I don't believe he'll ever work out in the pros.. But he's a amazing college coach.. Sark was a decent oc in college at best.. And I personally don't believe he's ever going to work out in the NFL and imo he's the weakest link to our team atm

Sark was known as one of the best young OCs in college football, it was alcoholism that destroyed his career, not his ability.

And Dan Quinn was a college coach. Pete Carroll too.

Ergo Proxy likes this

20 hours ago, FalconKick said:

Crazy to think how amazing and terrifying he could have been

Imagine this every week.  In a Falcons uniform, years younger, faster, stronger.  :bang:

21 hours ago, FalconKick said:

Crazy to think how amazing and terrifying he could have been

I don't know, I think his biggest problem was his throwing accuracy. Usually he would actually make the right read, but then sail the ball over the guy's head. But when he we on he was unstoppable.

31 minutes ago, ParanoidAndroid said:

Imagine this every week.  In a Falcons uniform, years younger, faster, stronger.  :bang:

I would be curious to see how Kyle Shanahan would deploy a young Mike Vick at QB. 

20 hours ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

all last year when I was making the point about players not holdin up their end of the bargain all I kept hearing was how good coaching made players play well...

Good coaching doent make players play well.  It does, however, prepare them to play well.  Good coaching puts players in position to succeed.  The rest is on the players.

Shannahan knew how to use Gabriel and the rb’s in the passing game.  They Were put into a position to succeed and did so.  That did not happen last year.  Things will be better this year, though.  Fingers crossed

9 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Good coaching doent make players play well.  It does, however, prepare them to play well.  Good coaching puts players in position to succeed.  The rest is on the players.

Shannahan knew how to use Gabriel and the rb’s in the passing game.  They Were put into a position to succeed and did so.  That did not happen last year.  Things will be better this year, though.  Fingers crossed

No one was put in position to succeed last year?

Ergo Proxy and Stryka like this

14 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

No one was put in position to succeed last year?

Pretty sure I didn’t say that.  The two examples were Gabriel and running backs in the passing game

22 hours ago, Jesus said:

As stated before Sark had a couple of college interns as his offensive support with little to no NFL experience last year. The help a seasoned NFL coach will give him will be invaluable.

Don't forget that Sark had no experience calling plays in the NFL prior to taking the OC for the Falcons.

Stryka likes this