Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

⚡Slumerican⚡

Greg Knapp’s role in Falcons’ offensive scheming might be larger than realized

124 posts in this topic

27 minutes ago, NeonDeion said:

If we hoist the Lombardi, give Sark the MVP for all I care. I’m more concerned with blame than credit. 

He has no excuses now. Put up or shut up. 

If he gets us where we need to go, I’ll make an honorary thread for him just for attaboys

Maybe I'm being overly optimistic, but I really think he's going to be better this year; and not because Shanny did it his second year..

Last year, it was almost like he was thrown into the fire. It was:  "Here, we just went to the Super Bowl. So duplicate what Shanny just did, and be quick about it!". 

(Edit: Well, maybe not everything Shanny just did :()

That had to be some pressure, (although that doesn't excuse some of his play-calling.) 

This year he will have experienced help in Knapp, and he's had a year on the job, so we should see improvement.

And that should be enough to get us to the Big Dance, 'cause we just missed it by that much last year.

4 hours ago, DogIsYourName said:

Greg Knapp sucks.  He's been around in the NFL forever and his offense was boring as **** when he was our actual OC.  I'm not sure what good he's going to do now, other than serve as a backup if we have to cut Sark after an 0-4 start or something.

Funny Schaub didn't have any issues moving the ball in Knapp's offense when they both were with the Falcons before.  Vick admitted himself he never studied the playbook.

⚡Slumerican⚡ likes this

1 hour ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

And that was Steve Mariucci running that show.

Not to single you out as one of the culprits, but all last year when I was making the point about players not holdin up their end of the bargain all I kept hearing was how good coaching made players play well...

Knapp also had stints with some accomplished veterans and the offenses were still meh.

Yeah, you didn't hear that from me. I think it's hard to judge an OC when , between dropped passes, bad throws, penalties and missed blocks, about 10-15% of his plays never have a chance. 

Don't have the ability to dive deep into the stats that you do, but I can see who Knapp had as a QB. Knapp has had McKown, Vick, J. Rusell and a beat up Carson Palmer. That's not a whole lot to work with. 

2 hours ago, falconidae said:

It was, same OP, Same misinterpretation of what was said. There's nothing in the paragraph he quoted that makes Knapp's role in the offensive scheming larger.

But is he wrong?

/P+S

5845ca7c1046ab543d25238b.png.221962f6bb3b7e0bbc2bf73b04e7b1d9.png

this thread dude. An OC with a support system that INCLUDES OTHER PEOPLE?!

Only in Atlanta, btw.

papachaz and ⚡Slumerican⚡ like this

Fluff material.  Knapp is an offensive assistant, QB Coach.  There are a handful of guys in the booth every game. Nothing special.   The SINGLE most BIGGEST  improvement will be Sark having an offseason to digest 18 games of play calls.  Our offense was top 10 in the league with him.  He has even more talent this year.  He said it himself that he was just used to trotting out his talent at USC or UW and his guys being able to beat other guys.  He had to adjust to NFL looks, formations and all the disguise used to tip off what an offense is trying to do.  The year went on and he got better at utilizing motion, formations and personnel groupings to give us an advantage.  Still has much room to grow and the 4th down call in Philly still leaves a bitter taste in all of our mouths.  I think Sark is a smart guy, you dont get bounced around as a OC if you cant call plays and put guys in position to win.  He has led some elite offenses including ours and I think this year we will progress more and possibly into Top 5 territory.  Shanahan had that killer instinct in which he would call a game we are up in to deliver back breaker scores to kill momentum for the other teams.  We dont need to score 17 in a half and then ride it out, we need to score 30 if its there for the taking. 

4 hours ago, ⚡Slumerican⚡ said:

Other than Vick, what did Knapp actually have to work with at that time? 

Other than Vick? Vick was a sorry QB so can you really even say he had that? I mean Vick was a **** of a running back but just terrible as a QB.

⚡Slumerican⚡ likes this

1 hour ago, 2_legit_2_legit_2_quit said:

Other than Vick? Vick was a sorry QB so can you really even say he had that? I mean Vick was a **** of a running back but just terrible as a QB.

Knapp worked with PM his record setting year in Denver. 

1 hour ago, falconidae said:

Yeah, you didn't hear that from me. I think it's hard to judge an OC when , between dropped passes, bad throws, penalties and missed blocks, about 10-15% of his plays never have a chance. 

Don't have the ability to dive deep into the stats that you do, but I can see who Knapp had as a QB. Knapp has had McKown, Vick, J. Rusell and a beat up Carson Palmer. That's not a whole lot to work with. 

Carson was actually pretty healthy that year, and as we saw when he went to Arizona and got under B.A., he still had some good football under him.

But just focusing on Knapp and not the raw stats, contrasting what that Oakland unit looked like from one year to the next -- I watched a good bit of Raider football those two years and that offense looked a lot more dynamic and varied under Hue Jackson the year before.the previous season under Hue Jackson.

Now is it possible that Knapp caught a lot of bad breaks with personnel and head coach turnover, and just never got in the right situation to get his stuff up and running?  Sure.  But he's been in the league 20 years, been an OC five separate times.  The resume is the resume at this point.

5 hours ago, Ezekiel 25:17 said:

Trying not to get excited about it but... during the middle two preseason games, it seemed a lot like the 2016 version of our offense with the first team out there. 

And I will leave it at that. :)

I definitely wanted to keep my mouth shut during those 2 games because it looked like a total different offense from the 1st game and we were moving the ball well. Yeah I'm trying not to get too excited myself.

8 minutes ago, Hard2BaBirdWachr said:

I definitely wanted to keep my mouth shut during those 2 games because it looked like a total different offense from the 1st game and we were moving the ball well. Yeah I'm trying not to get too excited myself.

But... I must admit, I do have one of these.

woody8.thumb.jpg.7040dc008e1b4195ac7fe3b8176b8b94.jpg

48 minutes ago, Hard2BaBirdWachr said:

From what half the board believes, it has absolutely nothing to do with Knapp 

KS’s goons were part of his success. You need support system in the NFL. Sark should’ve had better support last year. Hopefully, Knapp’s one piece to that puzzle. Hardly Co-coordinator. To suggest such is ignorant. Or start calling other assistants on other teams that, instead of this build up Sark or tear him down game. Ignorance.

7 hours ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

Relaying defensive looks from the box doesn’t make you an unsung “co-coordinator.”

If you’re calling plays from the field you always have a guy in the box doing that exact thing.

Yep, if calling plays was that simple there would be no ther staff positions outside the offensive and defensive coordinator. It would be like Madden without the quit/restart option lmao.

1 hour ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

Carson was actually pretty healthy that year, and as we saw when he went to Arizona and got under B.A., he still had some good football under him.

But just focusing on Knapp and not the raw stats, contrasting what that Oakland unit looked like from one year to the next -- I watched a good bit of Raider football those two years and that offense looked a lot more dynamic and varied under Hue Jackson the year before.the previous season under Hue Jackson.

Now is it possible that Knapp caught a lot of bad breaks with personnel and head coach turnover, and just never got in the right situation to get his stuff up and running?  Sure.  But he's been in the league 20 years, been an OC five separate times.  The resume is the resume at this point.

So do you believe Sarks chance of success is less with Knapp identifying defenses from the booth? Which Sark admitted he wasn't prepared for some of the defensive looks he saw last year 

I was starting to get excited about this year but this thread leaves me ... apprehensive.  why the **** couldn't Quinn and blank just hire the best offensive coordinator available (no, I admit not knowing who that would be) and they've had two years to find him?  why take this huge chance with the best team we've EVER had?  I just have a sinking feeling

⚡Slumerican⚡ likes this

12 minutes ago, ket222 said:

I was starting to get excited about this year but this thread leaves me ... apprehensive.  why the **** couldn't Quinn and blank just hire the best offensive coordinator available (no, I admit not knowing who that would be) and they've had two years to find him?  why take this huge chance with the best team we've EVER had?  I just have a sinking feeling

Maybe they know more about football than us and maybe they know something you don't know. 

Season hasn't even started and the negative posts and emotions on this board are sickening. 

We didn't flash all of our cards in preseason. Not saying we will put up 30 points tomorrow because it's one of the NFL's best defenses. But give it a **** chance already. 

2 hours ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

Yeah, don't know enough to challenge that, do know enough to know you know a lot more about football than I do.  I'll concede the point. 

What you think of the idea he's a much better QB coach than OC?

Ergo Proxy likes this

11 hours ago, ⚡Slumerican⚡ said:

In a interview during rookie camp, I'll try and find it if you want 

Wouldn't it be more honest if the thread title was " I hate Greg Knapp Sark?

8 minutes ago, falconidae said:

Wouldn't it be more honest if the thread title was " I hate Greg Knapp"?

You mean Steve sarkisian? I'm actually thankful we have Knapp here to "help" Sark run our offense 

And I do not hate Sark, I just believe he's a college oc and he just isn't cut out for the pros.. And if he proves me wrong, I'll be happy to make a post to celebrate his success 

Just like Sabian, he's a college coach.. I don't believe he'll ever work out in the pros.. But he's a amazing college coach.. Sark was a decent oc in college at best.. And I personally don't believe he's ever going to work out in the NFL and imo he's the weakest link to our team atm