Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

⚡Slumerican⚡

Greg Knapp’s role in Falcons’ offensive scheming might be larger than realized

124 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, ⚡Slumerican⚡ said:

Other than Vick, what did Knapp actually have to work with at that time? 

Knapp's best years as a OC was way back (1998-2001) when he was with SF, and since then he's gotten progressively worse as an OC. I'm not knocking the guy, mainly because he is well versed with the West Coast offense, zone blocking, and having a good runnning game. However,Knapp hasn't done anything as an OC for a long time. I think Sark and Knapp working (in their roles) together will end up being a good combo. 

Dirtybird56, papachaz, Vandy and 1 other like this

1 hour ago, ⚡Slumerican⚡ said:

makes you wonder if that was the key issue last year with Sark. He knew the right play to call; he just didn’t know how exactly to match that with what the best defenses were cooking up

I feel like this is important to haters and fans of Sark. I for one would definitely like to see Sark call plays that actually make sense 

I'm confused on how he knew the right play to call but not how to match the defense. Sounds like a contradiction. 

Timing is everything. Recognizing the defensive personnel, what defense they are in and then calling the play doesn't leave much time for the QB

Knapp will help Sark with making the on field adjustments. He will quickly be able to see the defense game plan on how they are playing us after the first series on offens which will help Sark determine how to call the game. It will be a cat and mouse game. Because the defense will adjust again and so will our Offense. His experience will be big for our offense.

17 minutes ago, 4dabirds said:

Knapp's best years as a OC was way back (1998-2001) when he was with SF. Since then he gotten progressively worse as an OC. I'm not knocking the guy, mainly because he is well versed with the West Coast ffense, zone blocking, and having a good runnning game. However, he hasn't done anything as an OC for a long time. I think Sark and Knapp working (in their roles) together will end up being a good combo. 

To be fair to Knapp as an OC, look at the QBs he's had to work with. He had Jamarcus Russell for example.

As long as Sark grows a little we will be fine. I'm rewatching highlights from last season. We had a shakey start against the Bears. And then we rolled the Packers and put up numbers against the Lions after having 3 horrible interceptions by Matt Ryan and the WR's. There were a slew of drops through the season and just simple runs of bad luck that we can attribute us to not being stellar.

Knapp will help. Sark will grow. We clean things up. Have a solid defense. 

We should be in good shape. 

papachaz likes this

23 minutes ago, 4dabirds said:

Knapp's best years as a OC was way back (1998-2001) when he was with SF. Since then he gotten progressively worse as an OC. I'm not knocking the guy, mainly because he is well versed with the West Coast ffense, zone blocking, and having a good runnning game. However, he hasn't done anything as an OC for a long time. I think Sark and Knapp working (in their roles) together will end up being a good combo. 

And that was Steve Mariucci running that show.

4 minutes ago, falconidae said:

To be fair to Knapp as an OC, look at the QBs he's had to work with. He had Jamarcus Russell for example.

Not to single you out as one of the culprits, but all last year when I was making the point about players not holdin up their end of the bargain all I kept hearing was how good coaching made players play well...

Knapp also had stints with some accomplished veterans and the offenses were still meh.

4 hours ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

And that was Steve Mariucci running that show.

Not to single you out as one of the culprits, but all last year when I was making the point about players not holdin up their end of the bargain all I kept hearing was how good coaching made players play well...

Knapp also had stints with some accomplished veterans and the offenses were still meh.

I take you’re not a Knapp fan either, at least as an OC? I’ve had to bite my tongue nearly off in some of these threads about how great he supposedly is in game planning and play calling. 

7 minutes ago, Vandy said:

I take you’re not a Knapp fan either, at least as an OC? I’ve had to bite my tongue nearly off in some of these threads about how great he is. 

:lol: Yeah, I'll just say this.  I don't have a problem with him in his current position but it has been amusing to watch some of the praise for a guy who, as a playcaller, has literally been everything they accuse Sarkisian of being.

2 hours ago, octoslash said:

"Greg Knapp sucks.  He's been around in the NFL forever..."

Anybody besides me see the irony in that?  lol

ha ha ha

shock likes this

can't hurt.

From another perspective. If I were struggling at my job and my boss hired someone with more experience to "support" me in my role, I think I'd get the message. 

3 hours ago, ⚡Slumerican⚡ said:

makes you wonder if that was the key issue last year with Sark. He knew the right play to call; he just didn’t know how exactly to match that with what the best defenses were cooking up

I feel like this is important to haters and fans of Sark. I for one would definitely like to see Sark call plays that actually make sense 

Regardless of whether Knapp's role rises to "co-coordinator", he's providing the experience that Sark lacked last season. And that may progress Sark's playcalling by a couple of years.

2 hours ago, octoslash said:

"Greg Knapp sucks.  He's been around in the NFL forever..."

Anybody besides me see the irony in that?  lol

Is that even possible!!??? 

Oh.... that’s what makes it “ironic”. 

my bad!  :rolleyes:

⚡Slumerican⚡ likes this

3 hours ago, rounz said:

IDK

The author's interpretation sounds more like wishful thinking than anything; and I understand.

Believe me, last year I wished we had somebody else calling the plays, but we'll see how it goes this year.

Of course, if it turns out that Sark shows great improvement, then the debate will be should he or Knapp get the credit.

If we hoist the Lombardi, give Sark the MVP for all I care. I’m more concerned with blame than credit. 

He has no excuses now. Put up or shut up. 

If he gets us where we need to go, I’ll make an honorary thread for him just for attaboys

rounz and ⚡Slumerican⚡ like this