⚡Slumerican⚡

Greg Knapp’s role in Falcons’ offensive scheming might be larger than realized

124 posts in this topic

Saw this coming 

https://www.thefalcoholic.com/2018/9/5/17821078/greg-knapp-steve-sarkisian-atlanta-falcons-2018

Column maestro Jeff Schultz rightly points out in his newest piece for The Athletic that Atlanta’s Super Bowl chances will come down to OC Steve Sarkisian’s maturation.

Indeed, he’s right. That’s the bread and butter of where this team goes, and as he rises, so will the Falcons.

This paragraph caught our eye, though.

But the biggest change must come from Sarkisian. He’ll call plays from the field, where he was most comfortable working in college. He’ll now be supported in practices, meetings and games by Greg Knapp, the Falcons’ former offensive coordinator who returns as the quarterbacks coach. Knapp will survey defensive coverages and tendencies from the press box, allowing Sarkisian to focus on just play-calling. Knapp said the two have been friends for several years, even though they’ve never worked on the same staff.

That feels important.

We knew Knapp would be helping in pointing out the coverages, but the way Schultz words this makes it seem like much more of a partnership than a supporting role.

FROM OUR SPONSOR - ARTICLE CONTINUES BELOW

This Philly-based startup is mapping our infrastructure with drones

Advertiser Content From

If Knapp is doing this now, it must mean this is what Sarkisian was doing by his lonesome last season. We’ve long wondered what Knapp’s addition secretly meant for this offense, and this clip might reveal what we’ve long speculated.

Knapp might be an unsung co-offensive coordinator.

Now, it’s important to note Sark will still be calling the actual plays themselves, though how Knapp dictates the defensive looks will influence what Sark feels comfortable in calling up. That’s key. Knapp’s ability to size up a defense looks now to be just as imperative as Sark’s role in drawing up the plays.

We don’t want to kick up a fuss and say any of this is brand new intel, though the way Schultz casts a frame on the coaches makes it seem like it’s quite potent for Knapp to be reading these defenses right. It makes you wonder if that was the key issue last year with Sark. He knew the right play to call; he just didn’t know how exactly to match that with what the best defenses were cooking up.

FROM OUR SPONSOR - ARTICLE CONTINUES BELOW

How insurance and the gig economy have evolved from the Stone Age — really

Advertiser Content From

The team will now rely on Knapp for this necessary step. That really sounds like he’s got a good bit of sway over where the offense goes this season. He sounds like the starting point to where the play calling winds up.

makes you wonder if that was the key issue last year with Sark. He knew the right play to call; he just didn’t know how exactly to match that with what the best defenses were cooking up

I feel like this is important to haters and fans of Sark. I for one would definitely like to see Sark call plays that actually make sense 

Tim Mazetti likes this

9 minutes ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

Counterpoint: it might not. 

Greg Knapp sucks.  He's been around in the NFL forever and his offense was boring as **** when he was our actual OC.  I'm not sure what good he's going to do now, other than serve as a backup if we have to cut Sark after an 0-4 start or something.

Flying Falcon likes this

5 minutes ago, DogIsYourName said:

Greg Knapp sucks.  He's been around in the NFL forever and his offense was boring as **** when he was our actual OC.  I'm not sure what good he's going to do now, other than serve as a backup if we have to cut Sark after an 0-4 start or something.

Other than Vick, what did Knapp actually have to work with at that time? 

IDK

The author's interpretation sounds more like wishful thinking than anything; and I understand.

Believe me, last year I wished we had somebody else calling the plays, but we'll see how it goes this year.

Of course, if it turns out that Sark shows great improvement, then the debate will be should he or Knapp get the credit.

⚡Slumerican⚡ likes this

13 minutes ago, ⚡Slumerican⚡ said:

makes you wonder if that was the key issue last year with Sark. He knew the right play to call; he just didn’t know how exactly to match that with what the best defenses were cooking up

I feel like this is important to haters and fans of Sark. I for one would definitely like to see Sark call plays that actually make sense 

I dont think there was much of a "key issue" with Sarkisian last year. His players had ill-timed lapses in execution and he got a little cute here and there....just like every other play caller in the league. 

10 minutes ago, ⚡Slumerican⚡ said:

The issue was sark had to do it all by himself pretty much last year. He had to be in the qb room as well as come up with the game plan and other nuances of coordinating. Now with Knapp in the qb room he can focus in solely the plan, which collectively he will DK with Knapp, Matt, and Schaub. It’s also the fact that he’s always been comfortable on the ground and if you’re gonna be on the ground you need a guy with Knapp’s experience in the booth. Sark didn’t have problems calling plays last year because they moved the ball well between the 20’s. The issue was it was his first year and he didn’t have 2 of his playmakers all camp and getting to know his players strengths and weaknesses. He didn’t utilize certain players the best because he didn’t have then in Camp to know how. Knapp’s addition is huge but they’re def not co coordinators. They’re doing what’s always been done. On the ground? Have eyes in the booth. In the booth? Have a mouth on the ground to talk to the qb’s.   

1 minute ago, Jesus said:

As stated before Sark had a couple of college interns as his offensive support with little to no NFL experience last year. The help a seasoned NFL coach will give him will be invaluable.

I can agree to this.  We lost more than we replaced last year, staff wise.

red falcon likes this

I don't see what's unusual about this. A coordinator having eyes up top while he's on ground is pretty common. Marquand Manuel has Jerome Henderson up top.

Contrary to what some may believe, even Shannahan didn't come up with the gameplan's by himself. He involved all of the offensive coaches in coming up with the gameplan.

32 minutes ago, DogIsYourName said:

No, MV7 didn't read/study the playbook so we had to dumb it down with 1 look reads and runs up the middle 

1 hour ago, ⚡Slumerican⚡ said:

Trying not to get excited about it but... during the middle two preseason games, it seemed a lot like the 2016 version of our offense with the first team out there. 

And I will leave it at that. :)

45 minutes ago, TheFatboi said:

They’re doing what’s always been done. On the ground? Have eyes in the booth. In the booth? Have a mouth on the ground to talk to the qb’s.   

That assembly of words had me hearing Outcast music! :D

shock and TheFatboi like this

1 hour ago, ⚡Slumerican⚡ said:

Saw this coming 

https://www.thefalcoholic.com/2018/9/5/17821078/greg-knapp-steve-sarkisian-atlanta-falcons-2018

Column maestro Jeff Schultz rightly points out in his newest piece for The Athletic that Atlanta’s Super Bowl chances will come down to OC Steve Sarkisian’s maturation.

Indeed, he’s right. That’s the bread and butter of where this team goes, and as he rises, so will the Falcons.

This paragraph caught our eye, though.

But the biggest change must come from Sarkisian. He’ll call plays from the field, where he was most comfortable working in college. He’ll now be supported in practices, meetings and games by Greg Knapp, the Falcons’ former offensive coordinator who returns as the quarterbacks coach. Knapp will survey defensive coverages and tendencies from the press box, allowing Sarkisian to focus on just play-calling. Knapp said the two have been friends for several years, even though they’ve never worked on the same staff.

1 hour ago, Duff_Man said:

Wasn't this already discussed weeks ago?

It was, same OP, Same misinterpretation of what was said. There's nothing in the paragraph he quoted that makes Knapp's role in the offensive scheming larger.

papachaz and Schwarzwald like this

1 hour ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

Counterpoint: it might not. 

LOL...beat me to it. 

I personally think knapp’s role will be smaller than most of The Sark Bashing crowd believes it will be. 

Like it or not, this is Sark’s Offense to run. His playbook, his scheme, his  playcall decisions.  

Tim Mazetti, JDaveG and papachaz like this