Eating recommendations in ATL?

6 hours ago, Stray Dog THA GAWD said:

Let me keep this short and let you know that this is not the hood.  You can buy drugs in all kinds of neighborhoods, but the hood is much worse than that.  Be grateful you don't know the difference.

The "hood" is relative. The OP asked for high end restaurant locales, so he'll likely end up at a swank spot in Buckhead or points northward. If that's what he's looking for one drive by Homegrown and he'll likely pass. Although under development there is still a hood factor in that area.

LMAO at me not knowing the hoods in Atlanta. Grew up in the Dixie Hills, Bankhead, Vine City area. Lived less than a mile from Campbellton for two decades. Know pretty much every area of ATL from the SWATs to Forsyth County.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

The "hood" is relative. The OP asked for high end restaurant locales, so he he'll likely end up at a swank spot in Buckhead or points northward. If that's what he's looking for one drive by Homegrown and he'll likely pass. Although under development there is still a hood factor in that area.

LMAO at me not knowing the hoods in Atlanta. Grew up in the Dixie Hills, Bankhead, Vine City area. Lived less than a mile from Campbellton for two decades. Know pretty much every area of ATL from the SWATs to Forsyth County.

Someone from Dixie Hills calling that part of Memorial Drive the hood is downright hilarious.  To each his own, I suppose.

1 hour ago, Black Francis said:

Nu Way Weiners in Macon, Ga is the best. Not only famous but award winning too.  Too far for him to travel though. We stop there every time we go to Savannah. Nom nom nom. So good. 

I’ve had them both brother ..... Brandy’s is hands down the best 

but the cool thing about nuway is Krispy Kreme  just next door :) 

Edited by newgafatboy
Just now, newgafatboy said:

I’ve had them both brother ..... Brandy’s is hands down the best 

but the cool thing about nuway is Dunkin’ Donuts just next door :) 

I googled Brandy’s. She uses the same kind of weiner. I’ll have to try some. Funny thing is I’m actually driving through Macon tomorrow on my way to a funeral in Florida. My wife (and daughters) have already basically demanded that we stop at Nu Way as we pass through. 

21 hours ago, fuego said:

And get the Comfy Chicken Biscuit. Here is a pic I took when I had one. This is maybe in my top 10 meals ever. I even ordered more gravy than you see there before I got through. <_<

em9K2Hu.jpg

50 minutes ago, Vandy said:

OMG my man....and you lived to tell about it!

Only part of him made it....most of his digestive tract is in the restaurant bathroom....

13 minutes ago, Black Francis said:

I googled Brandy’s. She uses the same kind of weiner. I’ll have to try some. Funny thing is I’m actually driving through Macon tomorrow on my way to a funeral in Florida. My wife (and daughters) have already basically demanded that we stop at Nu Way as we pass through. 

The one on 16 has a Krispy Kreme basically in the same parking lot .its the first exit down 16 off 75 .... not out of the way at all 

they may use the same brand but I don’t think it is the same wiener, Brandy’s is spicy little heat to it . I don’t recall nuways being spicy 

3 minutes ago, newgafatboy said:

The one on 16 has a Krispy Kreme basically in the same parking lot .its the first exit down 16 off 75 .... not out of the way at all 

they may use the same brand but I don’t think it is the same wiener, Brandy’s is spicy little heat to it . I don’t recall nuways being spicy 

That’s the one we go to. We get in and get out pretty quickly. I can’t disagree as I’ve never had Brandi’s Just trying to learn this place via online info which admittedly is limited. I do like heat though so we’ll definitely check it out. 

2 minutes ago, Black Francis said:

That’s the one we go to. We get in and get out pretty quickly. I can’t disagree as I’ve never had Brandi’s Just trying to learn this place via online info which admittedly is limited. I do like heat though so we’ll definitely check it out. 

Side note .... Brandy’s closes at 3 sharp . They are open from like 10:00  to 3:00 . 

Just now, newgafatboy said:

Side note .... Brandy’s closes at 3 sharp . They are open from like 10:00  to 3:00 . 

I see. The wife is picking me up from work early tomorrow and is talking about picking some up for the trip. I’m telling you the chili dogs between the two places look exactly the same. Exactly. I have to know now. 

36 minutes ago, Stray Dog THA GAWD said:

Someone from Dixie Hills calling that part of Memorial Drive the hood is downright hilarious.  To each his own, I suppose.

As I mentioned, the hood is relative. For someone flying down, paying for hotel, buying tickets to the Benz and asking about high end restaurants, that's still the hood bro. Trust me. Sorry if that offends you or devalues real estate you may own there.

58 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

The "hood" is relative. The OP asked for high end restaurant locales, so he'll likely end up at a swank spot in Buckhead or points northward. If that's what he's looking for one drive by Homegrown and he'll likely pass. Although under development there is still a hood factor in that area.

Let it go man...he's either a transplant or he's too young to know..

1 hour ago, RING OF HONOR said:

Let it go man...he's either a transplant or he's too young to know..

Good advice bro. It started as a shameless plug for a friend that actually doesn't need it. He's highly rated, always packed, has celebrity regs and product on major grocery store shelves. He lives in the area and is poised to capitalize on the gentrification, but definitely knows it's still a hood in progress. Food is dam good. Staff and customers are great. OP would never go there but probably should. I've only been for lunch but heard breakfast is incredible.

I just wish he'd taken my advice to pursue a restaurant reality TV show opportunity because that show would be waaaaay better than the ones they're airing now. Just so much diversity and character. You get everyone from neighborhood folks, to blue collar workers, to politicians, to Rick Ross, to businessmen, to Clint Eastwood, to Shady, a 90 year old ex-CIA agent that plays keys and vibes on the weekends. Lots of interesting TV story development oppts.

3 hours ago, Vandy said:

OMG my man....and you lived to tell about it!

2 hours ago, Goober Pyle said:

Only part of him made it....most of his digestive tract is in the restaurant bathroom....

Come on. I could have done it all over again right after I finished that one. I'm a professional. biggrin.gif.4d47f3fcc21c7930f28745d47c98ce29.gif

2 hours ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

As I mentioned, the hood is relative. For someone flying down, paying for hotel, buying tickets to the Benz and asking about high end restaurants, that's still the hood bro. Trust me. Sorry if that offends you or devalues real estate you may own there.

I was born in D.C.......White neighborhood, but rough characters all around with prostitution, gambling, stabbings et al. To me at least, it was the hood. 

5 minutes ago, Vandy said:

I was born in D.C.......White neighborhood, but rough characters all around with prostitution, gambling, stabbings et al. To me at least, it was the hood. 

The are in question which is Renoyldstown...back in the70's 80's and 90's was bad...prostitution..drugs..killings..dog fights..robbings...you name it...its sits on the outskirts of Edgewood..which sits on the outskirts of Kirkwood which sits on the outzkirts of East Atlanta Town which sits on the outskirts of Thomasville and Four Seasons area..Eastlake Meadows was called Little Vietnam....each area fought each other...I cant even remember how many times I got caught in some ****...it was BAD..

We all have our own version of what hood is...but either version can still leave you in the dirt...If anyone lived through such times...we should be counting our blessings to have made it out...A lot of my friends weren't so lucky..