Eating recommendations in ATL?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, shock said:

I’m attending another game this year and will actually have time to go to dinner a couple nights. For my Atlanta area posters: where’s a nice place for dinner? The fancier the better but it doesn’t have to be fancy, just delicious. 

There's a place called Nirvana burger that was really good. Also ate at the restaurant next to it for breakfast. 

These are the 'not fancy' but good places. 

Antico as @jeebus said. Best pizza you ever had. Get the San Gennaro.

The Varsity. Best grease in town. Be sure to get a 'FO'.

Ok Cafe. Great cooked from scratch home cooking and good hamburgers. 

Houston's (it's 'fancier') has an awesome French Dip prime rib sandwich. 

Fox Bros. BBQ

Mary Mac's is a historic home cooking restaurant. 

Krog St Market and Ponce City Market a couple of food 'malls'. Superica is a good Mexican at Krog St. 

Maggiano's is a fine dining casual Italian restaurant. 

If I think of any more I'll let you know. ;)

The Sundial at the Westin is on a rotating platform so you can see all of Atlanta.  Ruth Chris at Embassy Suites is excellent and has a nice view of Centennial Park, especially around Christmas.

Provino's is not fancy but an excellent Italian restaurant

...but you must experience the Varsity, it's an Atlanta fast food tradition

Staplehouse is the best restaurant in Atlanta.  They are always booked a month in advance but you can walk in and get seat at the bar if they aren’t swamped.  

Poor Calvins is very nice and underrated.  You really can’t go wrong with some combination of Krog st market, Inman Park, and ponce city market with a nice belt line stroll in between.

When I go to a new city I try to get either food the city is good at, or food that I can't get where I'm from.

Atlanta is not really good at any particular cuisine ( Southern food and Barbecue are good in dozens of cities), but it has solid Vietnamese, Thai, Korean, Steaks, Burgers, and Mediterranean. What do you crave?

25 minutes ago, vitaman said:

When I go to a new city I try to get either food the city is good at, or food that I can't get where I'm from.

Atlanta is not really good at any particular cuisine ( Southern food and Barbecue are good in dozens of cities), but it has solid Vietnamese, Thai, Korean, Steaks, Burgers, and Mediterranean. What do you crave?

Just because other cities do well in Southern food doesn't detract from Atlanta excelling at it as well. While simple, our fried chicken stands with any other southern city I've visited....

1 hour ago, Goober Pyle said:

If you like beer (I like beer), especially craft beers, you need to go The Porter Beer Bar in Little Five Points. Outstanding food as well. The Vortex is close by as well, but not as good a beer menu. Wrecking Bar Brewpub is in the same area, but haven't tried it yet.

Porter is amazing. Not only is is an amazing beer selection, but their liquor is vast as well. The food there is fantastic. Vortex is always a long wait, I don't recommend it except for off times.

Wrecking Bar is walking distance to both and again has fantastic beer and great food. I go to both every year I am in town. 

Both spots are walking distance from the Inman Park MARTA stop...unless you're terminally lazy like me and get an Uber.

If you're in the Dectaur area, Twain's, Brickstore and Leon's are all great stops with great food and beer.

12 hours ago, FalconAge said:

Miller Union

Empire State South

Canoe

Breakers- Delicious Korean Barbque

This is probably the best list provided so far for upscale contemporary restaurants. 

There's this chef entrepreneur Ford Fry who has a bunch of restaurants all over the city that are highly regarded. The Optimist is pretty close to MB and very popular.

http://www.fordfry.com/restaurants/ 

There's an older, less trendy restaurant group called Buckhead Life that is consistently good, too. 

https://buckheadrestaurants.com/restaurants/ 

For a great dive near the stadium, check out Elliott Street Pub, more for drinking than food, though. 

Edited by Summerhill