Jump to content

Khalil Mack on his way to the NFC (Bears) now official


Recommended Posts

Ill say this there is no doubt in my mind whose iñ charge in Oakland.To me Jon Gruden wants to do it his way and is playing the long game through the draft here.I think he understands the value of the mentioned and doesn't want to compromise his cap by signing Mack long term.

Me I don't like the move for the fact he's what the franchise has developed and is no doubt one if not thee leader in the clubhouse with Carr.

Its a ballsey move by Gruden but our own team made such a move going up and grabbing Julio Jones and much in the same vein took a few years of pain but coming out the other side it was the right decision with a lot of moving parts around it to turn it out like it has.Gruden ultimately early has made such a move that no doubt if it goes bad or good that's what he'll be judged on.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

Ill say this there is no doubt in my mind whose iñ charge in Oakland.To me Jon Gruden wants to do it his way and is playing the long game through the draft here.I think he understands the value of the mentioned and doesn't want to compromise his cap by signing Mack long term.

Me I don't like the move for the fact he's what the franchise has developed and is no doubt one if not thee leader in the clubhouse with Carr.

Its a ballsey move by Gruden but our own team made such a move going up and grabbing Julio Jones and much in the same vein took a few years of pain but coming out the other side it was the right decision with a lot of moving parts around it to turn it out like it has.Gruden ultimately early has made such a move that no doubt if it goes bad or good that's what he'll be judged on.

Not the same bro.  We traded up to take Julio.  He wasn't ours.  Gruden just traded his best player AND A SECOND because...money?  How much was Grudens contract worth again?  Oh yeah.  100m.  The guy complaining about paying a player is making 100m through his contract.  This after the awful offseason he has had an continues to have.

At this rate Id be surprised if Gruden lasts til Vegas.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Vandy said:

LOL..come on man, that’s quite the spin. Gruden/Tampa drafted poorly during his time there. He really should leave the draft to Reggie, but his ego won’t let him.

https://raiderssnakepit.redescribe.com/2018/01/11/a-look-at-jon-grudens-draft-history/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/2018/1/5/16855448/jon-gruden-bad-twitter-nfl-draft-takes-adam-schefter-ian-rappaport

The first article kinda proves my point despite the negative spin it tries to exemplify. Clayton and Cadillac had pro bowl potential if not for injuries.

The 2nd one literally goes on to say that many experts had similar thoughts as well. 

Im not saying he's a draft guru, but he's far from the worst. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Geaux_Falcons said:

The first article kinda proves my point despite the negative spin it tries to exemplify. Clayton and Cadillac had pro bowl potential if not for injuries.

The 2nd one literally goes on to say that many experts had similar thoughts as well. 

Im not saying he's a draft guru, but he's far from the worst. 

Keep spinning. He’s one of the worst. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Vandy said:

Keep spinning. He’s one of the worst. 

Well, if it works out, and they use the extra draft picks to solidify the defense, Gruden looks like the genius he thinks he is. If it doesn't, he can just go back to the booth in  a year or two.

I can understand the thinking behind the move, and looks like Gruden was planning this from the start, but ####, it's a risky move.

I mean, I thought the Saints trading a 3rd rounder for 1 year back up QB rental was risky, but that made a lot more sense than this. Saints are all-in for this year, if Brees misses a game or two and TB keeps them afloat until he returns, that was worth it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Nereek said:

Grady is no where as good as Mack and Donald. 

Of course he's not, but the cost of quality D-linemen just jumped. If he takes a third of what they earned, he's still a bargain. Especially to be so young and still ascending. And a third of $141 million is a lot more than a third of $90 million. If we don't offer him something that is near or above the market, he can leave and know that he's going to get paid very very well.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, tactician said:

I think the Raiders should be given credit for having the guts to trade Mack .That deal is just brutal for the Bears. 90 million guaranteed for a non QB, and you give up two 1st round picks (2019, 2010).

The only reason the Bears had a shot at this is because they've got a QB on his rookie deal.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

The only reason the Bears had a shot at this is because they've got a QB on his rookie deal.

 

And they were willing to part with 2 1st round picks. Not many teams were probably so willing to do that and make him the highest paid defender in history.

 

I guess that was too rich for the Jets.

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, falconidae said:

Well, if it works out, and they use the extra draft picks to solidify the defense, Gruden looks like the genius he thinks he is. If it doesn't, he can just go back to the booth in  a year or two.

I can understand the thinking behind the move, and looks like Gruden was planning this from the start, but ####, it's a risky move.

I mean, I thought the Saints trading a 3rd rounder for 1 year back up QB rental was risky, but that made a lot more sense than this. Saints are all-in for this year, if Brees misses a game or two and TB keeps them afloat until he returns, that was worth it. 

That's exactly how I see this aswell.

 

23 minutes ago, JayOzOne said:

Bling! Grady is grinning from ear to ear right now.

 

 

Yikes.

 

14 minutes ago, tactician said:

I think the Raiders should be given credit for having the guts to trade Mack .That deal is just brutal for the Bears. 90 million guaranteed for a non QB, and you give up two 1st round picks (2019, 2020).

Kinda agree with this but I hate the idea of giving up my best player.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, athell said:

Not the same bro.  We traded up to take Julio.  He wasn't ours.  Gruden just traded his best player AND A SECOND because...money?  How much was Grudens contract worth again?  Oh yeah.  100m.  The guy complaining about paying a player is making 100m through his contract.  This after the awful offseason he has had an continues to have.

At this rate Id be surprised if Gruden lasts til Vegas.

 

I more getting at the decision this will be Grudens calling card he'll live or die by it and how franchise changing it could be much lîke we did with the Jones trade it was a franchise changing type move.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

I more getting at the decision this will be Grudens calling card he'll live or die by it and how franchise changing it could be much lîke we did with the Jones trade it was a franchise changing type move.

I don’t understand this thinking either. 

We got Julio, Raiders gave up Mack. Entirely different scenario, Raiders are like the browns were with us in this deal. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, falconidae said:

Well, if it works out, and they use the extra draft picks to solidify the defense, Gruden looks like the genius he thinks he is. If it doesn't, he can just go back to the booth in  a year or two.

I can understand the thinking behind the move, and looks like Gruden was planning this from the start, but ####, it's a risky move.

I mean, I thought the Saints trading a 3rd rounder for 1 year back up QB rental was risky, but that made a lot more sense than this. Saints are all-in for this year, if Brees misses a game or two and TB keeps them afloat until he returns, that was worth it. 

Saints trade for bridgewater makes 100x  more sense to me. On many different levels.

For the Mack trade to make some semblance of balance in raiders favor will require a lot of luck in draft as well as skill, skills Gruden has never exhibited.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Vandy said:

Saints trade for bridgewater makes 100x  more sense to me. On many different levels.

For the Mack trade to make some semblance of balance in raiders favor will require a lot of luck in draft as well as skill, skills Gruden has never exhibited.

Only thing that would make it more reasonable is to find out that Mack had insisted on being the highest paid defensive  player. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, tactician said:

I know its sounds mundane, but the NFL salary cap is very restrictive. The Raiders are off the hook for that monster contract and now they got a major draft haul.

What major draft haul did raiders receive? At best Two mid 1st and a 3rd minus a 2nd. For a proven legit defensive stud. 

And what are raiders doing exactly, are they rebuilding or trying to contend? Signing 11 over-the-hill vets over age 30 like jordy Nelson while trading legit young in-his-prime star player like K Mack?

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

Ehhh. Disagree with you on that. The most notable acquisitions during Gruden’s first tenure with the Raiders were Woodson and Gannon. He also burned a first round pick on Janikowski. 

Gruden walked into a team with Alstott, Rice, Sapp, Brooks, Barber, and Lynch. Three of them are Hall of Famers. 

 

And those same players couldn't even get to the bowl for years with Dungy. Gruden made them better.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...