Khalil Mack on his way to the NFC (Bears) now official

1 minute ago, tactician said:

I just find it ironic everyone is saying the Raiders screwed up this trade, yet not one person (Falcons fans and fans of other teams) I've asked would be interested in taking on Mack's contract and considerable draft compensation in order to execute a trade for him. 

You'd have to weigh up where your team is and what sought of shape it's in.I don't think you can just generalise it and say it's right or wrong because each franchise is in a different space and there's to many factors in play.

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, tactician said:

The Raiders are in place where getting 2 first round picks and protecting their salary cap flexibility makes more sense than to give a non quarterback 140 million, 90 million guaranteed and I completely agree with them. If the Falcons had made the trade the Bears did this board would be in a complete meltdown.

That's why you aren't getting a definitive answer your looking for because we aren't in the same spot as the Raiders though.Its also why teams are in no rush to make deals like this because there franchising changing.

Only time will truly tell us who won this deal:

Bears - no 1st round picks next 2 years, Mack now highest paid defensive player in NFL, offense totally under youngster Trubisky, very hard division

Raiders - did anyone in Oakland still care about this year, team will have lots of young 1st round picks going into Las Vegas, saved a huge commitment to Mack who may be in decline, not really a tough division anyway

I really wonder if this will come out to look like the famous Herschel trade of the 80's that built up the great Cowboys teams.

8 minutes ago, tactician said:

Perhaps not from you, but many on the board were mocking the Raiders for trading Mack. I think they made a sound business decision. They avoided handing out the biggest defensive contract in history, and also acquired the largest draft bounty for any defensive player in history. 

JlRfalcons post pretty much sums it up really you won't know who got the better of the trade for at least in the Raiders case 3-4 years down the track to see I found any significance comes from the given draft capital.Grudens in for the long haul so I can kinda see what he's doing.

1 minute ago, Geaux_Falcons said:

With your last sentence, do you think Oakland made the right choice?

I'll take the fifth on that lol.

I don't but it's because I like the model we use in draft develop and pay your guys.

Like I mentioned JLRfalcons post you won't see the real effects of the trade till 3-4 years down the track and because Gruden is there for a decade I guess he made the decision to do it and views the draft capital and flexibility cap wise as more valuable than holding onto Mack.

28 minutes ago, YoungHeezy said:

90 mil guaranteed for a non-QB. I’d never make that deal. 

I agree. I do not care who the player is, I'd have never given up this much to acquire him and then pay him this much. The only way I would consider this is for a QB . . . and even then I am mulling over it. How people say Oakland are the losers in this deal or that they made a mistake is beyond me. 

One man does not make a team.

I understand why they traded him and in theory, it’s a good deal if you have the ability to draft successfully. However, historically, Gruden is absolutely horrible at drafting talent.

Elite pass rushers are EXTREMELY rare to find. A team could literally have every pick in the first round, draft every DE, and still not hit on one. So typically when you have one, you try to hold onto him the best you can. 

Based on those two factors I doubt that the Raiders get back quality players that equal Mack. 

Edited by Sidecar Falcon
1 hour ago, Jesus said:

Chuckie has 10 years to make the Raiders. I think they win this trade today. If he drafts like he did in Tampa then they will lose.

People always blame him for what happened to that franchise but name another HC since he's gotten fired that's done anything there. You can't. Outside of Tony Dungy every coach there has failed. Folks seem to overlook how great that Raiders team was that Gruden built. I think he's going to do it again eventually.

3 hours ago, tactician said:

If you were the Falcons GM would you have pulled the trigger on the deal the Bears did? 2019 first round pick, 2020 first round pick, 2020 third round pick for K. Mack and a 2020 second round pick and sign Mack to a 141 million dollar, 90 million guaranteed contract?

Maybe....probably not - if I could get Raiders to take Beasley and less draft picks I might.

5 hours ago, Vandy said:

I’ve never said anything about Dungy in this thread.

i questioned you saying gruden made sapp, barber, brooks and Lynch better....which was a pretty silly comment. 

It was kind of implied with all Gruden threads and it's really stupid. I'm sick of reading such stupid comments. Dungy had sorry ads Shaun King running his offense. And I think Alstott wasnt playing meaningful snaps for Gruden. I also said Gruden made them a better team. I wasn't implying defense. He did get Simeon rice.

9 hours ago, MoFalconsFan56 said:

Wouldn’t have traded 2 firsts for him either. That team needs first round talent, especially on offense 

People are really sleeping on the Bears.  I watched every single game of theirs last year and I'm telling you they were so close to winning so many more games last year.  Fox and co. were so bad for them.

The biggest question is Trubisky.  If he can even be an Alex Smith type they are going to win games.  They've had a great offseason and have talent up and down that roster and that was before Mack.

Also people still freaking out over money that isn't theirs...smh...I suggest you all start to realize this is the future of the nfl and contracts.  Y'all are gonna have an anyuresm when it's Debo's turn.  Get used to it, this is the way the league is going.  Or don't...but please don't complain about other people's money on an internet message board, it's not a good look.  Y'all have zero clue about the cap, contracts or what the FO can and can't do so please sit down.  These guys know a liiiiiiiiittle more than you do.

If you ran the team and drafted a generational talent, you would let him walk or trade him because you don't want to pay him what he is worth.  It's ridiculous.  Y'all wanna hoard cap room and money like a dang dragon.  Go look at the teams with the most cap room over the past years and tell me how they have done.  Cle, TB, Jax up until they started drafting well...more cap space does not mean more success.  Draft talent...pay talent.  You don't draft a guy, put in the work, and let someone else benefit because you are being cheap.

And then you double down and act like backfillling that spot is easy!  Like the draft is a gimme!  The draft is a crapshoot even at the top.  Proven nfl talent, especially elite talent > college potential and unknowns.

Ok I'm off my soap box.  I hope you all have a great Sunday...last Sunday before football!

Edited by athell
4 minutes ago, athell said:

People are really sleeping on the Bears.  I watched every single game of theirs last year and I'm telling you they were so close to winning so many more games last year.  Fox and co. were so bad for them.

The biggest question is Trubisky.  If he can even be an Alex Smith type they are going to win games.  They've had a great offseason and have talent up and down that roster and that was before Mack.

Also people still freaking out over money that isn't theirs...smh...I suggest you all start to realize this is the future of the nfl and contracts.  Y'all are gonna have an anyuresm when it's Debo's turn.  Get used to it, this is the way the league is going.  Or don't...but please don't complain about other people's money on an internet message board, it's not a good look.  Y'all have zero clue about the cap, contracts or what the FO can and can't do so please sit down.  These guys know a liiiiiiiiittle more than you do.

If you ran the team and drafted a generational talent, you would let him walk or trade him because you don't want to pay him what he is worth.  It's ridiculous.  Y'all wanna hoard cap room and money like a dang dragon.  Go look at the teams with the most cap room over the past years and tell me how they have done.  Cle, TB, Jax up until they started drafting well...more cap space does not mean more success.  Draft talent...pay talent.  You don't draft a guy, put in the work, and let someone else benefit because you are being cheap.

Ok I'm off my soap box.  I hope you all have a great Sunday...last Sunday before football!

All we need now is a choir and communion and church is over...

:tiphat:

47 minutes ago, athell said:

I'm just hoping it's a lose lose situation. Raiders are worse for trading away their best player. Bears suffer because they need those draft picks down the road and Mack just can't live up that deal in the later years of the contract.