Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Falconsfan567

Kickoffs

4 posts in this topic

Pretty soon kickoffs will be no more in all forms of football. Last night UCF had a guy carted off after a kickoff and tonight Western Michigan had it happened to them.

And that will be a sad day in football too... injures are the risk of playing football and wether players admit or not they know that going in. The problem is the bad technique of tackling that players have learned, not the actual kickoff

20 minutes ago, Bdawg58 said:

And that will be a sad day in football too... injures are the risk of playing football and wether players admit or not they know that going in. The problem is the bad technique of tackling that players have learned, not the actual kickoff

Even with good tackling there's still risk of major injuries. It's just magnified on kickoffs because you've got two players running full speed for a long distance crashing into each other. It doesn't matter if it's the kicking team or returning team. UCF was kicking team when guy got hurt. The returner for WMU got hurt tonight.

Yeah, it will suck to get rid of kickoffs because they have the potential to be such exciting plays, but I think it will eventually happen because we live in a society today where it's "morally wrong to know something and not attempt to do something to correct it." It's not like it was even as soon as 20 years ago when people could just "look the other way."

I don’t like it, but I get it. A lot of parents don’t even let their kids play football anymore. Especially since the research into concussions has revealed how devastating that can be. It is a pretty serious mental health issue.

The bigger problem imo with removing kickoffs is you take a whole phase of the game away. A lot of players only get time on the field on special teams. And I mean how many game changing plays have been made on kickoffs? You can go back to the kickoff before halftime in the Rose Bowl which set up UGA to kick a field goal and go into halftime on a positive note after giving up 31 points to OU. And those 3 points turned out to be crucial for sending the game to overtime, where UGA eventually won.

It’s sad to think about football without kickoffs.

Falconsfan567 likes this