Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SLEVEN

Falcons trade for safety

102 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, ATLFalcons11 said:

Based on this video he played LB last year. 

Interesting.  This is the 2nd player that the Falcons have gone after who was playing out of position at his former team (McClain).

1 minute ago, Smiler11 said:

I don't get this move. I know it was only a 7th but it feels like a waste. Hopefully he proves me wrong and isn't another Ty Sambrailo.

Everyone ***** on Ty but the guy had the best run blocking grade against the lions and was servicable enough to get us through 2 1/2 weeks without our startig RT after joining us at the beginning of the regular season. Not sure wtf yall were expcting from someone who had to start a week after joining the team... 

athell, brando27, octoslash and 3 others like this

Interesting move but honestly, safety play falls off Angel Falls after Rico, Keke and Kazee.   Ron Parker should be ashamed of his preseason film.  I was high on getting him for cheap but  I almost feel like cutting him is the right move based on his play which has been somewhere between ok and wtf.

don l, red falcon and Vandy like this

2 minutes ago, athell said:

Bill took him in the 2nd...yikes.  Though from what I have learned around these parts, Bill and Tom do not make mistakes so...this kid will obviously be a future pro bowler.

Patriots have been drafting terribly for years now. And if they do get a good player, they trade them away for draft picks that end up being the bad picks. But somehow Bill and Brady make the losers on that roster look good enough to be super bowl contenders. 

athell and red falcon like this

15 minutes ago, athell said:

Yeah, I'm not going to sweat over a conditional 7th.  Obviously they see something they covet out of him.  How has Bethel looked?  I haven't heard squat about him this offseason.

Sounds like we're trying to come up with something for nothing. Quinn and TD are obviously believers so hopefully he works out. As for Bethel, the only thing I remember hearing was he didn't look good on defense.

Didn't hear anything about his ST play, but I'm assuming he's only going through the motions and making sure he doesn't get hurt like the rest of the team. :lol:

athell and Flying Falcon like this

Just now, Atlantafan21 said:

Patriots have been drafting terribly for years now. And if they do get a good player, they trade them away for draft picks that end up being the bad picks. But somehow Bill and Brady make the losers on that roster look good enough to be super bowl contenders. 

I see no lies in this post and it's incredibly annoying lol

RoddyWhite84 likes this

Just now, SkerFalcon8710 said:

Everyone ***** on Ty but the guy had the best run blocking grade against the lions and was servicable enough to get us through 2 1/2 weeks without our startig RT after joining us at the beginning of the regular season. Not sure wtf yall were expcting from someone who had to start a week after joining the team... 

I agree. Sambrailo did better than I expected, especially after the *** whippin he received from Beasley in ‘16

brando27 and red falcon like this

8 minutes ago, athell said:

Draft profile in him...

OVERVIEW

2014: First-team All-Pac-12. National Football Foundation Scholar-Athlete Award. Started all 13 games

at strong safety. 2013: Honorable mention All-Pac-12. Second-team Capital One Academic All-American. Started all 14

games. 2012: Honorable mention All-Pac 12. Started all 14 games. 2011: Played in all 13 games with three starts.

PRO DAY RESULTS

40-yard dash: 4.59 seconds 
Vertical jump: 34 1/2 inches 
Broad jump: 9 feet 
20-yard short shuttle: 4.32 seconds

ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS

Team captain and defensive leader. Played some wide receiver in high school. Good hands with ability to make difficult interceptions. Attacks ball at high-point. Moves well as high-low safety. Extended range in run support and doesn't mind the physical side of the position. Has secondary motor for extended pursuit. Good football and personal character. Productive three-year starter.

WEAKNESSES

Displays obvious coverage limitations. Below-average instincts when asked to play deep safety. Slow to see it, with marginal recovery speed. Struggles in man coverage. Grabby at the top of the route and lacks feet to match and mirror. Slow to digest route combinations out of bunch formations. Comes downhill against run quickly, but out of control at times. Needs improvement as a wrap-up tackler.

DRAFT PROJECTION

Round 6 or 7

NFL COMPARISON

Kurt Coleman

BOTTOM LINE

A limited, run-support safety whose coverage issues could be an issue for NFL teams looking for diverse safety play. He's a willing tackler who plays with range in run support, but Richards' lack of instincts and ability to stick receivers in space could limit his NFL opportunities.

Wow!!! BB blew a 2nd on him! 

Sounds like a Smitty/TD guy lol.

25 minutes ago, FalconsForever1990 said:

he was garbage in last nights game. 

I liked his "tackle" attempt that pushed the runner into the endzone.

10 minutes ago, athell said:

Draft profile in him...

OVERVIEW

2014: First-team All-Pac-12. National Football Foundation Scholar-Athlete Award. Started all 13 games

at strong safety. 2013: Honorable mention All-Pac-12. Second-team Capital One Academic All-American. Started all 14

games. 2012: Honorable mention All-Pac 12. Started all 14 games. 2011: Played in all 13 games with three starts.

PRO DAY RESULTS

40-yard dash: 4.59 seconds 
Vertical jump: 34 1/2 inches 
Broad jump: 9 feet 
20-yard short shuttle: 4.32 seconds

ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS

Team captain and defensive leader. Played some wide receiver in high school. Good hands with ability to make difficult interceptions. Attacks ball at high-point. Moves well as high-low safety. Extended range in run support and doesn't mind the physical side of the position. Has secondary motor for extended pursuit. Good football and personal character. Productive three-year starter.

WEAKNESSES

Displays obvious coverage limitations. Below-average instincts when asked to play deep safety. Slow to see it, with marginal recovery speed. Struggles in man coverage. Grabby at the top of the route and lacks feet to match and mirror. Slow to digest route combinations out of bunch formations. Comes downhill against run quickly, but out of control at times. Needs improvement as a wrap-up tackler.

DRAFT PROJECTION

Round 6 or 7

NFL COMPARISON

Kurt Coleman

BOTTOM LINE

A limited, run-support safety whose coverage issues could be an issue for NFL teams looking for diverse safety play. He's a willing tackler who plays with range in run support, but Richards' lack of instincts and ability to stick receivers in space could limit his NFL opportunities.

Doesnt sound like he is playing free safety.

5 minutes ago, Monolith2001 said:

Interesting move but honestly, safety play falls off Angel Falls after Rico, Keke and Kazee.   Ron Parker should be ashamed of his preseason film.  I was high on getting him for cheap but  I almost feel like cutting him is the right move based on his play which has been somewhere between ok and wtf.

I didnt think he was going to be that bad. His talking was very poor.  Looks like he was making business decisions.  Hes good on madden though lol

2 minutes ago, SkerFalcon8710 said:

Serviceable? He was awful. In his 1st game against GB he gave up three hurries, one QB hit and two sacks. PFF graded him as one of the worst tackles in the league.

Performance aside, we spent a 5th rounder on him. Grady Jarrett was a 5th rounder.

Total Package likes this

Just now, Smiler11 said:

Serviceable? He was awful. In his 1st game against GB he gave up three hurries, one QB hit and two sacks. PFF graded him as one of the worst tackles in the league.

Performance aside, we spent a 5th rounder on him. Grady Jarrett was a 5th rounder.

And in the following game he was much improved.. not alot of linemen do too hot when they get tossed in mid game, especially ones who had been with the team for 10 days. Look at Ben Garland getting wrecked in place of levitre

15 minutes ago, Atlantafan21 said:

Being in a division with 3 minor league teams doesn't hurt. 

Krosis likes this

20 minutes ago, Smiler11 said:

I don't get this move. I know it was only a 7th but it feels like a waste. Hopefully he proves me wrong and isn't another Ty Sambrailo.

Timing seems strange as well. Would it not be better to wait to see if there are any cuts first. Richards may have been one of them.

Falcons probably  thought he may not clear waivers. And may be he has something DQ is looking for?

8 minutes ago, Knight of God said:

He’s playing Linebacker 

Meh, I dunno. I'd lean towards him being the backup to Neal at SS. At a shade under 5'11" and around 210 lbs, that's an in the box safety for us most likely. 

Knight of God likes this

6 minutes ago, octoslash said:

Being in a division with 3 minor league teams doesn't hurt. 

That division really is terrible. But at least Sam Darnold should be promising, I think he’s the next big thing at QB.