SLEVEN

Falcons trade for safety

102 posts in this topic

In three seasons, Richards recorded 49 total tackles (40 solo tackles) in 41 regular-season games. He didn’t record any sacks or interceptions, though he did force two fumbles.

He's been straight up trash, hope we didn't give more than a 6th

1 minute ago, I Even Bleed Red said:

In three seasons, Richards recorded 49 total tackles (40 solo tackles) in 41 regular-season games. He didn’t record any sacks or interceptions, though he did force two fumbles.

7th I believe 

2 minutes ago, I Even Bleed Red said:

Better than Ron Parker who was bad against 3rd string.

red falcon and Flying Falcon like this

1 minute ago, Mid-Nite-Toker said:

For a 7th...ok

Yeah, I'm not going to sweat over a conditional 7th.  Obviously they see something they covet out of him.  How has Bethel looked?  I haven't heard squat about him this offseason.

Flying Falcon and PokerSteve like this

1 minute ago, athell said:

Yeah, I'm not going to sweat over a conditional 7th.  Obviously they see something they covet out of him.  How has Bethel looked?  I haven't heard squat about him this offseason.

Can't really help you there. I've only watched about 3qrts of 2 preseason games.

Maybe no news is good news.

Draft profile in him...

OVERVIEW

2014: First-team All-Pac-12. National Football Foundation Scholar-Athlete Award. Started all 13 games

at strong safety. 2013: Honorable mention All-Pac-12. Second-team Capital One Academic All-American. Started all 14

games. 2012: Honorable mention All-Pac 12. Started all 14 games. 2011: Played in all 13 games with three starts.

PRO DAY RESULTS

40-yard dash: 4.59 seconds 
Vertical jump: 34 1/2 inches 
Broad jump: 9 feet 
20-yard short shuttle: 4.32 seconds

ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS

Team captain and defensive leader. Played some wide receiver in high school. Good hands with ability to make difficult interceptions. Attacks ball at high-point. Moves well as high-low safety. Extended range in run support and doesn't mind the physical side of the position. Has secondary motor for extended pursuit. Good football and personal character. Productive three-year starter.

WEAKNESSES

Displays obvious coverage limitations. Below-average instincts when asked to play deep safety. Slow to see it, with marginal recovery speed. Struggles in man coverage. Grabby at the top of the route and lacks feet to match and mirror. Slow to digest route combinations out of bunch formations. Comes downhill against run quickly, but out of control at times. Needs improvement as a wrap-up tackler.

DRAFT PROJECTION

Round 6 or 7

NFL COMPARISON

Kurt Coleman

BOTTOM LINE

A limited, run-support safety whose coverage issues could be an issue for NFL teams looking for diverse safety play. He's a willing tackler who plays with range in run support, but Richards' lack of instincts and ability to stick receivers in space could limit his NFL opportunities.

2 minutes ago, athell said:

Draft profile in him...

OVERVIEW

2014: First-team All-Pac-12. National Football Foundation Scholar-Athlete Award. Started all 13 games

at strong safety. 2013: Honorable mention All-Pac-12. Second-team Capital One Academic All-American. Started all 14

games. 2012: Honorable mention All-Pac 12. Started all 14 games. 2011: Played in all 13 games with three starts.

PRO DAY RESULTS

40-yard dash: 4.59 seconds 
Vertical jump: 34 1/2 inches 
Broad jump: 9 feet 
20-yard short shuttle: 4.32 seconds

ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS

Team captain and defensive leader. Played some wide receiver in high school. Good hands with ability to make difficult interceptions. Attacks ball at high-point. Moves well as high-low safety. Extended range in run support and doesn't mind the physical side of the position. Has secondary motor for extended pursuit. Good football and personal character. Productive three-year starter.

WEAKNESSES

Displays obvious coverage limitations. Below-average instincts when asked to play deep safety. Slow to see it, with marginal recovery speed. Struggles in man coverage. Grabby at the top of the route and lacks feet to match and mirror. Slow to digest route combinations out of bunch formations. Comes downhill against run quickly, but out of control at times. Needs improvement as a wrap-up tackler.

DRAFT PROJECTION

Round 6 or 7

NFL COMPARISON

Kurt Coleman

BOTTOM LINE

A limited, run-support safety whose coverage issues could be an issue for NFL teams looking for diverse safety play. He's a willing tackler who plays with range in run support, but Richards' lack of instincts and ability to stick receivers in space could limit his NFL opportunities.

Wew... that’s interesting 

I don't get this move. I know it was only a 7th but it feels like a waste. Hopefully he proves me wrong and isn't another Ty Sambrailo.

Timing seems strange as well. Would it not be better to wait to see if there are any cuts first. Richards may have been one of them.