Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
g-dawg

When is Grady Jarrett’s deal get done?

39 posts in this topic

Might be hard for the Falcons to get it done during the season.  Yes they've done deals during the season before, but Garrett is a lot better at this point in his career than most of those players were.  If it gets into the season, Jarrett might decide that he might as well wait this thing out and let the market determine his worth at the end of the season. 

That being said, I saw yesterday that the Falcons deferred half of Matt Ryan's signing bonus until next season.  That cash flow move might be an indication that the Falcons are trying to get this done now. 

33 minutes ago, octoslash said:

If the Clampetts were still here we'd trade him for a defensive back or an extra punter.

Nonsense, we'd have a new long snapper here by Friday night.

octoslash likes this

Posted (edited)

Geno Atkins- has 29 sacks over the last 3 seasons and is a better DT than Jarrett(sorry it's true)... got 16.3mill/yr on his extension. It seems like the market is already set to me. Jarrett just has to decide if he wants to maximize his money or secure the gurantee now.

Edited by maxatlanta
Ergo Proxy likes this

Jarrett isn’t a 10 sack AllPro DT. Anything north of $15M/Y is probably overpaying, but he is worth a deal close to that. $13m per is what I’d want him at as an average.

Posted (edited)

The Donald deal doesn't matter since Geno Atkins just signed his extension. Grady should sign between 12-14 mil per imo. 

Edited by Bobby.Digital
Ergo Proxy likes this

Gino Atkins is getting 16 mil a year (his new contract) ... Grady is not that so its interesting to see... Can we get him at 12-13 a year... Its hard to see where Grady Fit... He is one of the better DT in the league but he is not that dominant pass rsuher as some of the top tier inside guys... His all around game is tho.

But this is a passing league

Ergo Proxy and g-dawg like this

25 minutes ago, atljbo said:

Gino Atkins is getting 16 mil a year (his new contract) ... Grady is not that so its interesting to see... Can we get him at 12-13 a year... Its hard to see where Grady Fit... He is one of the better DT in the league but he is not that dominant pass rsuher as some of the top tier inside guys... His all around game is tho.

But this is a passing league

yeah, Grady might be in a pickle if he wants to get paid at the very top of the market w/ less than top of the market sacks. If he plays out the season, Grady runs the risk of getting franchised and being a year-to-year player.    Of course, getting franchised would also put Falcons in a pickle as they are trying to fit all these salaries under a cap and harder to do when you have to max out a player from year to year.

23 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

yeah, Grady might be in a pickle if he wants to get paid at the very top of the market w/ less than top of the market sacks. If he plays out the season, Grady runs the risk of getting franchised and being a year-to-year player.    Of course, getting franchised would also put Falcons in a pickle as they are trying to fit all these salaries under a cap and harder to do when you have to max out a player from year to year.

Agreed ,.. Its best to work something out..... I think the Falcons could hit the jackpot if we get t done before the season because i do think Grady could have a  or 7 sack season and now things have changed... He has the burst to be... He has always had that since college but just like college for some reason something was a tad bit off.

He has greatly improved since being in the league and Grady has that determination dog in him.... So he could reach that level... Again its best for both sides to get something done that both sides can live with

g-dawg likes this

9 hours ago, NeonDeion said:

This. If Grady is worth 10-12M/year right now, then when Donald gets 20M/yr, Grady becomes “worth” 14-16M/year

That's what I think he'll get.  14 - 16

It really has to happen. I don't see us franchising him, not with Geno and Donald's deals pushing that $ number into the stratosphere. We're going to overpay, with a big gurantee, but that's better than losing him.

I just hope the DT market doesn't go ham like the QB market did guys with not much experience picking up contracts way beyond what there playing capabilities are.

Like someone posted earlier you want this deal done sooner than later so the above doesn't happen with GJ and we end up paying more than we should.

Understand Jarrett position back yourself have a heck of a season then you pretty much have all the leverage.