Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

atljbo

Atlanta’s Defense Is One Step From Greatness: 10 Thoughts on the 2018 Falcons

40 posts in this topic

Think it was the end of number 5. They must love Oliver as we had no need at cb but he was taken before any other defender. 

If our defense makes it top 3 I feel he'll have a big part to do with that.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, red falcon said:

I agree, it only gets that way when our offense stalls out over and over. Run D is legit otherwise.  Our failure to me last year was the inconsistency of the offensive  players during critical moments. I dont blame ice.

Yes!  The offense not doing its job just tires out what is a great D!

red falcon likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, RING OF HONOR said:

Two of the most fundamental aspects of the game...tackling and catching...we seem to be struggling with both...hopefully we clean that up ...

I sure would like to see it improve.  Just take care of the fundamentals (tackling and catching) and this alone will improve defensive and offensive plays.  On a side note, I've often wondered if Quinn got with Sark to teach him how to attack certain defensive coverages?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, ⚡Slumerican⚡ said:

Idk, I believe most teams this year will run against us or throw screens. Our run defense may or may not be suspect and we've yet to prove we can defend screen passes.

Or incorporate them when dealing with an overaggressive opponent. Dirk Koetter got us the closest we've ever been to running consistent rb-specific screens. I love the quick receiver screens and even the tight end screen but we still don't run an effective halfback screen and also we still get burned on them quite a bit. I love our speed defensively but until we weigh up I don't see this as a Top-5 D this year..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hurry_Up_And_Buy said:

Or incorporate them when dealing with an overaggressive opponent. Dirk Koetter got us the closest we've ever been to running consistent rb-specific screens. I love the quick receiver screens and even the tight end screen but we still don't run an effective halfback screen and also we still get burned on them quite a bit. I love our speed defensively but until we weigh up I don't see this as a Top-5 D this year..

Our plays are too predictable.. Like ridley said, he knew our offense already because it's the same he ran at Alabama. That's sad, Sark is a college oc

Tim Mazetti likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ⚡Slumerican⚡ said:

Our plays are too predictable.. Like ridley said, he knew our offense already because it's the same he ran at Alabama. That's sad, Sark is a college oc

Good catch.:tiphat:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ⚡Slumerican⚡ said:

Our plays are too predictable.. Like ridley said, he knew our offense already because it's the same he ran at Alabama. That's sad, Sark is a college oc

 

4 minutes ago, Tim Mazetti said:

Good catch.:tiphat:

Sark was literally Ridley's OC, so yeah, he's going to know that. actual Rid quote:

Ridley displayed a confident smile when asked how much of offensive coordinator Steve Sarkisian's offense he knew upon joining the Falcons.

"Forty percent," Ridley said. "The majority of the formations and some of the plays."

 

Tim Mazetti likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, falconidae said:

 

Sark was literally Ridley's OC, so yeah, he's going to know that. actual Rid quote:

Ridley displayed a confident smile when asked how much of offensive coordinator Steve Sarkisian's offense he knew upon joining the Falcons.

"Forty percent," Ridley said. "The majority of the formations and some of the plays."

 

That's not a good thing in pro ball :ninja: ask chip Kelly 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, red falcon said:

I agree, it only gets that way when our offense stalls out over and over. Run D is legit otherwise.  Our failure to me last year was the inconsistency of the offensive  players during critical moments. I dont blame ice.

Ice was part of the problem as well as Sark, Oline, and receivers. Let's stop acting like Ice didn't have a part in all the mishaps last season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, ShadyRef said:

Ice was part of the problem as well as Sark, Oline, and receivers. Let's stop acting like Ice didn't have a part in all the mishaps last season. 

Meh, he was a much smaller part of the problem than Sark, Oline and receivers.

red falcon likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, ShadyRef said:

Ice was part of the problem as well as Sark, Oline, and receivers. Let's stop acting like Ice didn't have a part in all the mishaps last season. 

He cant catch the ball for them, he cant block for himself either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, falconidae said:

Meh, he was a much smaller part of the problem than Sark, Oline and receivers.

 

38 minutes ago, red falcon said:

He cant catch the ball for them, he cant block for himself either.

He changed his offseason training regimen last year.  Whatever he did differently from the 2016 offseason obviously affected him.  I forgotten which poster it was but they made a thread with gifs of the whole offense failing to execute completely last year (might have been PeytonManningsForehead).  From the wide receiver drops and the right side of the Oline being the weak link to Matt overthrowing, underthrowing, and missing open receivers, all levels of our offense was just ridiculously off last year.  I can't remember who it was that had a thread with all the gifs in them   The players, INCLUDING ICE, as whole just didn't execute completely and consistently enough.

 

We just need everyone to get back on the same page this year and execute.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, ShadyRef said:

 

He changed his offseason training regimen last year.  Whatever he did differently from the 2016 offseason obviously affected him.  I forgotten which poster it was but they made a thread with gifs of the whole offense failing to execute completely last year (might have been PeytonManningsForehead).  From the wide receiver drops and the right side of the Oline being the weak link to Matt overthrowing, underthrowing, and missing open receivers, all levels of our offense was just ridiculously off last year.  I can't remember who it was that had a thread with all the gifs in them   The players, INCLUDING ICE, as whole just didn't execute completely and consistently enough.

 

We just need everyone to get back on the same page this year and execute.

None of that changes my point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, falconidae said:

None of that changes my point.

I am not really trying to change your point seeing as how your mind has already been made up probably because of your bias bred from your Matt Ryan fandom. It's ok I get it. I understand. I wouldn't know how to quantify accurately to what extent how much the much smaller part of the blame portion amounts to.

I was just adding my remark as a little footnote to that assertion. It's not coming from a place of ill will but rather an informed perspective derived from not only the knowledgeable posters on here but also from guys that know a lot more than me that I sometimes have the pleasure of hanging out with occasionally. That's why I've started to understand things aren't always as they seem. That's why I wait for the knowledgeable posters to provide their takes so that I don't get caught up in the crowd of over reactions,  justifiably, from us wanting our team to do well and out execute anyone that lines up across. 

 

I want to see the whole offense explode again like everyone. I am happy that Matt is our qb.I just understand this game is the ultimate team sport and it takes all parts functioning for it to work well.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ShadyRef said:

I am not really trying to change your point seeing as how your mind has already been made up probably because of your bias bred from your Matt Ryan fandom. It's ok I get it. I understand. I wouldn't know how to quantify accurately to what extent how much the much smaller part of the blame portion amounts to.

...

Or, you know, because I'm right and Ryan WAS a smaller part of the problem than Sark, drops, penalties, missed blocks &  bad field position. Ryan made more bad throws than usual, still ended up with 65% comp with 30+ drops. He was still rated the 6th most accurate QB by PFF, number 1 in interceptible  throws by them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites