Scott1988

Saints acquire Teddy Bridgewater

148 posts in this topic

I don't really get this one, at least from the standpoint of Bridgewater being the future.  He's on a one year prove it deal.

If he proves it, then you have to pay him like a starting QB plus Brees' dead money.  If not, then well, you probably could have waited until after the season to get him and not have to give up a third rounder.

I thought the talk of them drafting Lamar Jackson made some sense from this perspective, as you have a few years of cheap control, but this is kind of the opposite.

9 minutes ago, PK Manley said:

I don't really get this one, at least from the standpoint of Bridgewater being the future.  He's on a one year prove it deal.

If he proves it, then you have to pay him like a starting QB plus Brees' dead money.  If not, then well, you probably could have waited until after the season to get him and not have to give up a third rounder.

I thought the talk of them drafting Lamar Jackson made some sense from this perspective, as you have a few years of cheap control, but this is kind of the opposite.

The way the move was explained on NFL Live is that the Saints are in win now mode and need a backup QB capable of carrying the team for multiple games if Drew Brees goes down and that he could possibly be Brees' replacement. That was Bill Polian's rationale. 

7 minutes ago, PK Manley said:

Yeah, it seems quite odd.

I guess Loomis is back to his old awful tricks. 

2 minutes ago, FentayeJones said:

The way the move was explained on NFL Live is that the Saints are in win now mode and need a backup QB capable of carrying the team for multiple games if Drew Brees goes down and that he could possibly be Brees' replacement. That was Bill Polian's rationale. 

Future with a guy on one year deal?

1 minute ago, FentayeJones said:

The way the move was explained on NFL Live is that the Saints are in win now mode and need a backup QB capable of carrying the team for multiple games if Drew Brees goes down and that he coauld possibly be Brees' replacement. That was Bill Polian's rationale. 

Bridgewater can't carry a team.

The Saints don't have the Vikings defense.

1 minute ago, falcons007 said:

Future with a guy on one year deal?

Just now, DawnOfThemBirds said:

Bridgewater can't carry a team.

The Saints don't have the Vikings defense.

Don't shoot the messenger lol.

That's how they explained it on a show I was watching.

DawnOfThemBirds likes this

13 minutes ago, PK Manley said:

I'm in the same boat.  Doesn't make sense to me.  The only way this works out for NO is if Brees gets hurt and if Brees gets hurt their SB window is slammed shut Teddy or not.

If they do see Teddy as the QB of the future, well they are still on the hook with Drew's money through 2020.  Are they going to pay both?

Seems very silly to me.

Just now, FentayeJones said:

You good bro. Just funny listening some one trying to make sense of Aints stuff.

28 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

Meh, I get what you’re saying but if we’re gonna be honest, he’s never stood out as anything special in the nfl man. He’s got the Arm but terrible mechanics. He’s also an interception machine. 

Don't agree, in a sense. I don't know if Bridgewater will ever amount to anything but an average QB for the Saints, if he should stay beyond this year. The thing is, average is better than anything we've been able to put behind Brees for 12 years, and is certainly the best apparent we can hope for at this time. 

I think he lacks some arm strength. He's accurate. Probably a bit too conservative. He's not an interception machine, however. He had INT % of 3 and 2 in his to seasons as a starter. 

1 minute ago, FentayeJones said:

I know, just trying to make sense of everything.

32 minutes ago, caponine said:

lol to even joke of something like that smh yeah you do. If you dont see the problem than your awareness is the level of Duke Riley on the field. 

0sVhYn0E_o.jpg

Pacific_Falcon likes this

1 minute ago, falcons007 said:

You good bro. Just funny listening some one trying to make sense of Aints stuff.

Just now, DawnOfThemBirds said:

I know, just trying to make sense of everything.

Im just messin witcha

DawnOfThemBirds likes this

16 minutes ago, PK Manley said:

He's not going to prove anything this year lol. The only way this deal doesn't work is if Bridgewater doesn't play a down for the Saints. Even still, if he leaves because he gets too pricey, you have then set yourself up for a possible comp pick. 

Iron Saint likes this

1 minute ago, saints4life25 said:

He's not going to prove anything this year lol. The only way this deal doesn't work is if Bridgewater doesn't play a down for the Saints. Even still, if he leaves because he gets too pricey, you have then set yourself up for a possible comp pick. 

There is a pretty good chance of this happening though, don't you think?  Given Brees track record of health?  Sure anything could happen, but he has been extremely reliable during his tenure in NOLA.

1 minute ago, athell said:

There is a pretty good chance of this happening though, don't you think?  Given Brees track record of health?  Sure anything could happen, but he has been extremely reliable during his tenure in NOLA.

I think he'll get extended. I think, even as the most optimistic Saints fan, you have to figure the most Drew has left is 2 years. If you can extend Teddy for 2, that gives him a year as the starter then getting paid. 

Now, you may say, why would Teddy do that, and I guess you could make that argument, but I think sitting for a couple years and having a chance to learn the Saints system and then having a chance to play in it would be a fantastic opportunity. Give him some guaranteed money now and the chance to capitalize in a fantastic scheme, all before he even hits 29. 

Kevo likes this

3 minutes ago, saints4life25 said:

I think he'll get extended. I think, even as the most optimistic Saints fan, you have to figure the most Drew has left is 2 years. If you can extend Teddy for 2, that gives him a year as the starter then getting paid. 

Now, you may say, why would Teddy do that, and I guess you could make that argument, but I think sitting for a couple years and having a chance to learn the Saints system and then having a chance to play in it would be a fantastic opportunity. Give him some guaranteed money now and the chance to capitalize in a fantastic scheme, all before he even hits 29. 

Yeah, I would think Drew's days in NO would be over after 2020 with his current contract.  I just wonder how that looks numbers-wise for him.  Does he bet on himself and test FA?  NO has a little over 7.5m in cap space now, do they have a bunch of FA's to pay over the next couple years?

I just don't know...curious how all this plays out.  Naturally I hope they just pissed away a third for nothing...but we will see.  :)

saints4life25 likes this

5 minutes ago, athell said:

Yeah, I would think Drew's days in NO would be over after 2020 with his current contract.  I just wonder how that looks numbers-wise for him.  Does he bet on himself and test FA?  NO has a little over 7.5m in cap space now, do they have a bunch of FA's to pay over the next couple years?

I just don't know...curious how all this plays out.  Naturally I hope they just pissed away a third for nothing...but we will see.  :)

I think they're set up well in the immidiate short term. When Drews contract comes off the books, things really open up. Ideally, he comes off and you have a rookie QB on an affordable deal, and if Bridgewater works out, it doesn't happen that way, but you have to take a chance at a QB.

Kevo and athell like this

Just now, saints4life25 said:

In the first three rounds, yes.

Definition of selling out to win in this 2 year window. Assuming Brees retires after.:ninja:

4 hours ago, 4dabirds said:

Good move by the Saints to get their Heir-apparent (or future bargaining chip); I hope Teddy cost them a lot. It amazes me that some other teams didn't try to get TB. I'm thinking that the Jags, Bucs, Dolphins, Giants, and Broncos should have all been inquiring about Bridgewater, as he is as close to a franchise QB that is obtainable at this point in time.

Saints give up their 2019 3rd rd pick. Jets send Bridgewater and their 2019 6th rd pick to the Saints.

4 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

Definition of selling out to win in this 2 year window. Assuming Brees retires after.:ninja:

I think trading away a pick for a QB is proof that this team is setting itself up for after Drew retires, but that's my own opinion.

Kevo likes this

1 minute ago, saints4life25 said:

I think trading away a pick for a QB is proof that this team is setting itself up for after Drew retires, but that's my own opinion.

Exactly. As I said on the other RC...this pretty much puts to rest the notion that Payton will leave/retire after Brees retires.