Falcons Fan MVP

Who thinks Sark is going to prove his critics wrong and have an excellent season calling plays and being creative?

99 posts in this topic

I'd like to know if there are any fans on here who thinks Sark is going to have our offense rolling this year? Picking apart one defense after another with a bad game or two in the mix.

I for one am encouraged by the presnap movement and TE usage.  Saubert looks very athletic so far, dare I say the most athletic since Alge Crumpler.  If the oline can revert back to 2016 we should be golden in the red-zone.  No matter what though Sark has zero excuses.  Here's to a top five unit on both sides of the ball.  I really believe it's possible because the D looks good 

I'm not expecting Shanahan numbers, but I do think there will be a significant improvement over last year. More TDs, especially for Julio. A lot of people are worried about the preseason but I'm not one of them. I think we'll be one of the better offenses in the league again.

It depends on what the definition of “successful” is. Many people won’t accept anything less than Shanahan 2016 results. If that’s the expectation, he will likely disappoint. But if the expectation is realistic, and the offense is ranked in the top 7 in yards and points, then he will deserve recognition but likely won’t get it 

Mid-Nite-Toker and red falcon like this

I think we will see an improvement over last season.  For those who want another Shanahan-like season, I think they will be disappointed.  

Shanny's offense put up a lot of points, but had its flaws in short yardage situations.  I am hoping for a more balanced offense that can come close to Shanny's in points, but that can possess the ball and manage the clock better.  

39 minutes ago, GANDI said:

I for one am encouraged by the presnap movement and TE usage.  Saubert looks very athletic so far, dare I say the most athletic since Alge Crumpler.  If the oline can revert back to 2016 we should be golden in the red-zone.  No matter what though Sark has zero excuses.  Here's to a top five unit on both sides of the ball.  I really believe it's possible because the D looks good 

why should the O-line revert back when they were better last year? 

41 minutes ago, Jen said:

I'm not expecting Shanahan numbers, but I do think there will be a significant improvement over last year. More TDs, especially for Julio. A lot of people are worried about the preseason but I'm not one of them. I think we'll be one of the better offenses in the league again.

This

with a little more creativity, new addition of Ridley. Fusco and maturation of Hooper and Saubert and less drops gonna lead to a much better and productive offense. Ive rewatched last season's games not only were there a lot of drops but lots of them came at crucial times or down and distance. A few of them were big plays. Get that corrected and they will be top 5 offense again

falconidae and red falcon like this

1 hour ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

It depends on what the definition of “successful” is. Many people won’t accept anything less than Shanahan 2016 results. If that’s the expectation, he will likely disappoint. But if the expectation is realistic, and the offense is ranked in the top 7 in yards and points, then he will deserve recognition but likely won’t get it 

26 minutes ago, jeebus said:

Will he improve?  I believe he will.  Is that good enough for everyone?  Probably not.

31 minutes ago, putnam6 said:

This

with a little more creativity, new addition of Ridley. Fusco and maturation of Hooper and Saubert and less drops gonna lead to a much better and productive offense. Ive rewatched last season's games not only were there a lot of drops but lots of them came at crucial times or down and distance. A few of them were big plays. Get that corrected and they will be top 5 offense again

40 minutes ago, FalconBlood said:

I say Sark improves. But I doubt we are historic, and we don't have to be.

It sounds like our offense may be like the 2012 one if succesful from what you guys are saying. And hopefully our defense will be like the one in the playoffs last year.

FalconBlood likes this

46 minutes ago, raysnill1 said:

why should the O-line revert back when they were better last year? 

The running game did not seem better last year but I could be wrong and obviously the coaching change could be the blame but without question the lost of Chester hurt in the run game.  Wes was not nearly as good at creating holes.  Do you disagree with that statement? 

21 minutes ago, GANDI said:

The running game did not seem better last year but I could be wrong and obviously the coaching change could be the blame but without question the lost of Chester hurt in the run game.  Wes was not nearly as good at creating holes.  Do you disagree with that statement? 

yes I disagree with that statement. the biggest difference between 2016 and 2017 was turnovers.

2016 - 421 carries // 1928 yards // 4.6 y/a // 20 TDs

2017 - 430 carries // 1847 yards // 4.3 y/a // 12 TDs

contrary to popular opinion if it wasn't for turnovers and some bad play calling 2017 should have been better than the year before but odd years man

8 minutes ago, raysnill1 said:

yes I disagree with that statement. the biggest difference between 2016 and 2017 was turnovers.

2016 - 421 carries // 1928 yards // 4.6 y/a // 20 TDs

2017 - 430 carries // 1847 yards // 4.3 y/a // 12 TDs

contrary to popular opinion if it wasn't for turnovers and some bad play calling 2017 should have been better than the year before but odd years man

Great post.  I'll say that if the turnovers can subside and the short yardage runs improve we should be ok but clearly DQ and Sark saw what most of us saw out of Wes and that is why they brought in competition.  Thanks for showing the numbers though.  They were much closer than I thought.  

Edited by GANDI
red falcon likes this

57 minutes ago, caponine said:

Not me, still looks inept with the offense. Hoping for the best that he can but expecting less

I don’t know if you can’t see or you just never have anything positive to say about anything buts it’s one of the two...Or both. The starting offense has been looking very good. Even without Free, Julio, and Mack. Explain the ineptitude? Please? I know I know what I’m looking at from a x’s and o’s Perspective more than you but even as a fan I can see the offense is not inept. Make me understand what you see?

4 minutes ago, GANDI said:

Great post.  I'll say that if the turnovers can subside and the short yardage runs improve we should be ok but clearly DQ and Sark saw what most of us saw out of Wes and that is why they brought in competition.  Thanks for showing the numbers though.  They were much closer than I thought.  

so far we've seen Wes on FIVE plays with the 1st team, and 3 of those were penalties. I haven't seen anything from Fusco yet that Wes couldn't do. in all honesty if it were up to me Wes would be starting. at least last season it took a whole game for Matt to get sacked 3 times, he got sacked 2 times in the first quarter alone against the jags lol

If we don’t lead the NFL in drops last year, a few more drives are extended... which means a few more points get scored here and there... and likely a few more wins happen.

Yeah, Sark needs to be better with the play calling, but the players need to be better with the execution as well. They were equally to blame for last year’s step backwards.

raysnill1, J-Nice and CrimsonFalcon like this

The most interesting thing about having Sark is we have an offensive coordinator that, even if he runs the offense very well, or above average, he will still not be considered a head coaching candidate ANY time soon. 

He has so much baggage with what happened in his head coaching college days, that many teams wouldn't touch him with a ten-foot pole right now.  For awhile there, I was sick of every one of our coordinators being considered for the next hot job opening - And this happened every single year (which happens to every good team of course). 

With Sark, I think we can have a very good offensive coordinator all to ourselves for multiple years, at the very least.  Let's just hope he blossoms into a very good offensive coordinator.

Edited by Maltese Falcon

7 hours ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

It sounds like our offense may be like the 2012 one if succesful from what you guys are saying. And hopefully our defense will be like the one in the playoffs last year.

That would be good enough to win the super bowl without a doubt

Falcons Fan MVP likes this

I could not care less about Sark being creative or calling flashy plays if we win games.

An ugly 17-13 win beats the crap out of losing 41-38.  (No, this defense isn't capable of having 41 dumped on it, but you get my point)

I am optimistic for sure. I like the personnel we have. I like the fact that Sark has a better feel for the personnel and vice versa. I like that Greg Knapp is assisting him. I also think that Julio(won't ever say it) has a HUGE CHIP on his shoulder, is healthier than he has been in a while, and wants to prove that he deserves to be labeled best WR in the game