Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

falcons007

DQ post game interview with Dave Archer.

84 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, mattyicefalcon said:

The first series showed us how we can move the ball at will on anyone we choose .

But, man dropped catches and run defense is still something needs serious attention.

Nah. We sat 7 starters last night. Plus no game planning. They could’ve done a better job up front but that read option is Hard to stop for anybody. Even when game planning for it. So yeah it really worked for them last night. 

Ergo Proxy likes this

2 hours ago, R_The_Great said:

You do realize its the same Eagles team that took the Patriots down in the Super Bowl last year?  If you want to beat the Eagles, you have to be better than the Patriots were in the Super Bowl. I feel bad for Deon Jones because he is going to have to deal with 3 RB's going for screens and more almost every play.

I am not saying its impossible, but I would hope by this time, the Falcons would be concentrating on actually scoring TD's rather than worrying about putting people in positions to see how they react.  The only position worrying about is Sark getting the offense going. 

You mean the same Eagles team that lost to the Browns in the preseason.  According to you, if we want to beat the Eagles we have to be as good as the Browns.

4 hours ago, vel said:

Dropped passes is just want to. Don't know how to coach to not drop passes when it's not coached TO drop passes in the first place. Run defense is susceptible, but I think we'll make due. 

3 hours ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

The only thing that’s really bothered me so far about the preseason. Some of it was alignment and not necessarily anyone’s fault (easily correctable) — some of it was guys just not reading their keys or getting off blocks.

Not at all what I wanted to see but I take slight comfort in the fact that the run defense always seems to round into form when we need it the most since Quinn’s been here.

Just trying to pick your brains guys but what about the pass rush? Is there hope we won't be making the Bortles and Cutler's off the world feel comfortable standing tall and confident on third downs and crucial momentum saving drives in case our offense sputters often again this year? I just see that pass rush or lack thereof isn't discussed enough. We always make due with Quinn regarding the run defense. 

14 hours ago, R_The_Great said:

Its not going to be so funny when we face the Eagles and put up 10 points

If that happens, it'll be mayhem here.  I'm sure the team knows it, but if they drop the ball in Game 1: WATCH. OUT.

6 hours ago, Kaptain Krazy said:

I don't put any stock in preseason records. 

However, it doesn't seem to be a very accurate or fair way to evaluate players trying to make the roster when you don't look at the opponent at all and have zero gameplanning. The only thing being evaluated in that scenario is "what can they do in a game situation that will be NOTHING like they'd face in an actual game."

Not to mention the caliber of team mates after the first unit hits the pine. 

5 hours ago, TRUju2111 said:

And the td drop by Sanu..shoulda been an easy 6

At least the defender made a play against Sanu.  Hooper and Ridley just dropped uncontested passes.

Stray Dog THA GAWD likes this

Just now, brewman said:

At least the defender made a play against Sanu.  Hooper and Ridley just dropped uncontested passes.

That's what's so frustrating.  Not what I want to see this close to the real season.

57 minutes ago, ShadyRef said:

Just trying to pick your brains guys but what about the pass rush? Is there hope we won't be making the Bortles and Cutler's off the world feel comfortable standing tall and confident on third downs and crucial momentum saving drives in case our offense sputters often again this year? I just see that pass rush or lack thereof isn't discussed enough. We always make due with Quinn regarding the run defense. 

I thought the pass rush was good yesterday. Now the rest of the preseason — especially Kansas City, not so much. Saw a lot of people talking about th secondary on that long pass given up to Mahomes at the end of the half but I was like “where’s the pressure?”

Yesterday is was pretty consistent. But while I did like what I saw yesterday I went into this season thinking we needed another pass rusher (especially on the edge).

I still feel that way.

Ergo Proxy and ShadyRef like this

10 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

I thought the pass rush was good yesterday. Now the rest of the preseason — especially Kansas City, not so much. Saw a lot of people talking about th secondary on that long pass given up to Mahomes at the end of the half but I was like “where’s the pressure?”

Yesterday is was pretty consistent. But while I did like what I saw yesterday I went into this season thinking we needed another pass rusher (especially on the edge).

I still feel that way.

Yeah, the plan seems to be let Takk and Beasley eat AC’s snaps and what Takk contributed. I hope this work at DE for Campbell translates or one of these potential 5th DTs like Zimmer works out. Of course, any pressure from Senat or McClain is welcome. Hope Grady takes that elite status this year as an interior rusher. He is PB caliber but we could use that next step.

32 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

Yeah, the plan seems to be let Takk and Beasley eat AC’s snaps and what Takk contributed. I hope this work at DE for Campbell translates or one of these potential 5th DTs like Zimmer works out. Of course, any pressure from Senat or McClain is welcome. Hope Grady takes that elite status this year as an interior rusher. He is PB caliber but we could use that next step.

Yeah that’s what I’m thinking the plan is and it’s giving me shades of 2016 when it was Beasley and Freeney carrying the pass rush and not much else behind them, which is giving me slight discomfort.

Grady is gonna see a lot of one on one blocks and he looks hungry. I expect(hope) that’s where the slack will be picked up at to go with hopefully anything from Crawford and McClain like you pointed out.

Ergo Proxy likes this

9 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

Yeah that’s what I’m thinking the plan is and it’s giving me shades of 2016 when it was Beasley and Freeney carrying the pass rush and not much else behind them, which is giving me slight discomfort.

Grady is gonna see a lot of one on one blocks and he looks hungry. I expect(hope) that’s where the slack will be picked up at to go with hopefully anything from Crawford and McClain like you pointed out.

Exactly.

I believe our rush packages matter a lot but we should be better with Takk/Vic/??? Compared with AC/Vic/Freeney after AC went down. If he and Mack weren’t injured before the SB I doubt we ever lose that game. Little better performance at either LOS and we close it, not that we shouldn’t have either way. I digress...

Its about replacing Poe’s snaps/pressures and I hope that production is doable but that 3rd edge rusher is important. We saw what happened at DE when we lost AC to injury in the SB run. A lot is expected of both Takk and VB.

13 hours ago, Ergo Proxy said:

Are you liking what you're seeing from Zimmer to feel optimistic enough to add to the pass rush or are you thinking they might be waiting for cuts before the season starts? 

7 minutes ago, ShadyRef said:

Are you looking what you're seeing from Zimmer enough to feel optimistic enough to add just enough to the pass rush or are thinking they might be waiting for cuts before the season starts? 

You always look at who might become available.

At this point, a 5th DT may not be active on game days even if they make the 53.

More likely we pick up an edge player than interior DL; unless they are a perfect scheme fit as pass rush depth from the inside. That’s basically why Crawford was brought in.

ShadyRef likes this

10 hours ago, vel said:

We made it out without any injuries. That's a winning record in my book. 

Yes, it looked rough. But the Jags have a dominating defense. That's what almost got them to the SB. They are going to do that in the regular season. When you don't gameplan to account for that and play without your best two offensive weapons, you get what happened. 

I don't know why this has to be explained every single year. 

I didn't think it was that bad. Against a stout defensive front the Jags have, I thought the O-line played well. They won some, and lost some (mostly because the coverage held up). Coleman had some nice runs with good blocking.The offense had two distinct chances to score, and Ryan misfired on one and Sanu dropped the other. 

Didn't really see the O-line get manhandled, as in, they just couldn't get a push or block long enough for Ryan to throw an accurate pass down field.

The Daywalker likes this

20 hours ago, falcons007 said:

On facing the elite DL and OL of jaguars: 

DQ: We didn’t look at the opponent, no game planning. It was self scouting. 

Assessment of the game: 

DQ: we missed opportunities on both sides of the ball and should get better in capitalizing the opportunities. 

He said the main goal of the game was to see what players do in different positions and the competition.

The falcons should be much better with game planning, the world isn’t ending chicken little.

Got a link, want to get the PSA thread for next year ready.

26 minutes ago, falconidae said:

Got a link, want to get the PSA thread for next year ready.

It was on 92.9 right after the game. Check if they posted the interview on the site.

4 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

It was on 92.9 right after the game. Check if they posted the interview on the site.

OK, thanks. Was looking on AF.com and couldn't find it.

6 hours ago, ShadyRef said:

No stunting and little blitzing. Remember, these games don't count. No point and giving the Eagles anything to prepare for. No they aren't the Jags or Vikings or even Eagles level DL, but they are good enough to get pressure. 

ShadyRef and Ergo Proxy like this

2 hours ago, JerseyNo12 said:

I didn't think it was that bad. Against a stout defensive front the Jags have, I thought the O-line played well. They won some, and lost some (mostly because the coverage held up). Coleman had some nice runs with good blocking.The offense had two distinct chances to score, and Ryan misfired on one and Sanu dropped the other. 

Didn't really see the O-line get manhandled, as in, they just couldn't get a push or block long enough for Ryan to throw an accurate pass down field.

Exactly. Coleman broke a pretty good run and on Ito's draw play, he had a great lane that was there if Schraeder just landed his block. It was some simple stuff that can be cleaned up. You can tell the Jags took it up a notch after Lee's injury. 

Ergo Proxy likes this

6 hours ago, jeebus said:

You mean the same Eagles team that lost to the Browns in the preseason.  According to you, if we want to beat the Eagles we have to be as good as the Browns.

And yet your the same guy who will say Preseason wins and losses don't matter.  Its obvious as anything, the Falcons will not be seeing the Eagles of preseason.  

The problem is, you have 11 guys on offense and they are all over thinking.  You can tell by the way they run routes and get off the ball.  

17 minutes ago, R_The_Great said:

And yet your the same guy who will say Preseason wins and losses don't matter.  Its obvious as anything, the Falcons will not be seeing the Eagles of preseason.  

The problem is, you have 11 guys on offense and they are all over thinking.  You can tell by the way they run routes and get off the ball.  

Lol this is not true at all. You think Ridley was overthinking when he got open on that slant then dropped the ball? Or Matt's miss throw to Davis who was wide open? Or Sanu's dropped TD in the end zone that the safety knocked loose? 

Yea they look real confused and overthinking out there...

Ergo Proxy likes this

7 minutes ago, vel said:

Lol this is not true at all. You think Ridley was overthinking when he got open on that slant then dropped the ball? Or Matt's miss throw to Davis who was wide open? Or Sanu's dropped TD in the end zone that the safety knocked loose? 

Yea they look real confused and overthinking out there...

Well instead of always talking about drops, maybe we should see why the drops are such a problem and yet in 2016, the drops were not a problem.  If the offense is confused to begin with, than its almost certain drops will come.  Can you honestly say the offense looks in sync?  Just watch the last 6 games before the Super Bowl in 2016 if you want to see how an offense should look.