Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

falcons007

DQ post game interview with Dave Archer.

84 posts in this topic

Preseason isn't very predictive...but it does still mean something.

If you get blown off both sides of the ball, it means when you just line your athletes up against their athletes, you can't hang.  That's relevant.  It doesn't mean you're going to lose every game, but it means you have to gameplan that much better.  Also helps point out deficiencies in just your base athleticism (if your OGs keep getting walked back...maybe need to keep an eye out for OG's)

I care zero about winning or losing in preseason, but I do like to see guys winning their matchups, making catches, making tackles, making blocks.   Sooner or later, points of every game come down to these fundamentals, stripped away of everything else.

We made it out without any injuries. That's a winning record in my book. 

Yes, it looked rough. But the Jags have a dominating defense. That's what almost got them to the SB. They are going to do that in the regular season. When you don't gameplan to account for that and play without your best two offensive weapons, you get what happened. 

I don't know why this has to be explained every single year. 

9 hours ago, Dirtybird56 said:

Record in preseason means nothing, even the performance of the starters is hard to put any meaning behind. We looked awful on 1st team offense in the 2016 preseason and went on to have a top 10 offense in history 

That said, nobody is game planning in preseason. It’s not like we’re at some disadvantage from not game planning

2016 preseason was the year Miami blew up our oline for the whole first half? 

papachaz and falconidae like this

I swear that there was a post clearly reminding people that game 3 in the preseason will not be the end of the world. No game planning, key starters resting. 

Fix the drops (how is this still a problem).

Pacific_Falcon likes this

10 hours ago, falcons007 said:

On facing the elite DL and OL of jaguars: 

DQ: We didn’t look at the opponent, no game planning. It was self scouting. 

Assessment of the game: 

DQ: we missed opportunities on both sides of the ball and should get better in capitalizing the opportunities. 

He said the main goal of the game was to see what players do in different positions and the competition.

The falcons should be much better with game planning, the world isn’t ending chicken little.

So does game planning make our WRs catch better?

Pacific_Falcon and brewman like this

6 minutes ago, TRUju2111 said:

So does game planning make our WRs catch better?

3 drops by Ridley, and 1 by Hooper.  This crap has got to stop.

falcons007 likes this

2 hours ago, Vandy said:

When did you start getting all worked up putting so much stock in preseason games? 

Just had rough week at work ... lol! Was looking to get entertained in week 3 by Falcons.

Ohh well....Im over it!

Honestly,  we will be fine.....not worried. We have plethora of elite weapons they will get their **** together and kick some arse!!!

falcons007 and Vandy like this

45 minutes ago, vel said:

Yes, it looked rough. But the Jags have a dominating defense. That's what almost got them to the SB. They are going to do that in the regular season. When you don't gameplan to account for that and play without your best two offensive weapons, you get what happened. 

I don't know why this has to be explained every single year. 

The first series showed us how we can move the ball at will on anyone we choose .

But, man dropped catches and run defense is still something needs serious attention.

falcons007 likes this

32 minutes ago, brewman said:

3 drops by Ridley, and 1 by Hooper.  This crap has got to stop.

And the td drop by Sanu..shoulda been an easy 6

33 minutes ago, mattyicefalcon said:

The first series showed us how we can move the ball at will on anyone we choose .

But, man dropped catches and run defense is still something needs serious attention.

Dropped passes is just want to. Don't know how to coach to not drop passes when it's not coached TO drop passes in the first place. Run defense is susceptible, but I think we'll make due. 

Just now, vel said:

Dropped passes is just want to. Don't know how to coach to not drop passes when it's not coached TO drop passes in the first place. Run defense is susceptible, but I think we'll make due. 

Agree,If Sanu and Ridley last night catch those balls...I can bet anyone the scoreboard would totally appear lop sided.

Game went the way it should have. We can score if we game plan; let alone catch. We don’t have the biggest and baddest OL so we scheme protections etc. those things matter. It’s how we managed to run on the Rams and score enough on the road in a playoff game where Ben Garland and Wes Schweitzer were clearly outclassed. Far worse first half for them in that game than Levitre and Fusco last night. We left 14 points in the first half.

The drops? Yes, it brings back memories but 3 things:

Hooper’s lack of drops last year was actually a strength so I’m not worried about him.

Sanu just didn’t react to contact on his arm well, sucks but preseason.

Ridley is a rookie. Roddy White has hands issues beginning his career. Putting expectations for him to be a complete receiver right away is rather delusional.

Reading into the game is bad enough but the drops; while discouraging, aren’t everything yet.

I do believe in drilling jugs machines for peace of mind, though.

papachaz and ShadyRef like this

10 hours ago, R_The_Great said:

Its not going to be so funny when we face the Eagles and put up 10 points

as long as they don't put up more than 9, you'd be ok with it and you know it. a W is a W.....

1 hour ago, vel said:

I don't know why this has to be explained every single year. snap of preseason

FIFY  :tiphat::lol:

falconidae, vel and falcons007 like this

12 minutes ago, mattyicefalcon said:

Agree,If Sanu and Ridley last night catch those balls...I can bet anyone the scoreboard would totally appear lop sided.

Now, imagine scheming protections. Freeman and Julio playing, and actual gameplan vs gameplan. We should’ve had the lead without all of those things even though we were struggling physically along the LOS.

1 hour ago, mattyicefalcon said:

Just had rough week at work ... lol! Was looking to get entertained in week 3 by Falcons.

Ohh well....Im over it!

Honestly,  we will be fine.....not worried. We have plethora of elite weapons they will get their **** together and kick some arse!!!

Sorry man, didn’t realize you had such a hard week at work. I’ve been there before, and it’s sure not any fun. 

Pray your Next week will be mucho  better. 

mattyicefalcon and falcons007 like this

12 hours ago, EightyEight said:

I agree for the most part, preseason doesn’t mean much, however, it doesn’t matter how much you gameplan if your receivers drop everything thrown their way like they did tonight. Very concerned about our receivers after tonight, because that was a huge problem last year. 

No doubt, DQ probably chewed the players on drops. He did sound little pissed off when he talked about missed opportunities.

1 hour ago, mattyicefalcon said:

Run defense needs work but planning for opponents blocking scheme should take care most of problems.

Ergo Proxy likes this

50 minutes ago, vel said:

The only thing that’s really bothered me so far about the preseason. Some of it was alignment and not necessarily anyone’s fault (easily correctable) — some of it was guys just not reading their keys or getting off blocks.

Not at all what I wanted to see but I take slight comfort in the fact that the run defense always seems to round into form when we need it the most since Quinn’s been here.

Ergo Proxy, vel and ShadyRef like this

11 hours ago, R_The_Great said:

Its not going to be so funny when we face the Eagles and put up 10 points

Funny, aren't the Eagles 0-3 in pre-season after just getting shut out by the browns? Bur we're going to be worse because...we also look bad in pre-season?

Ok.

Falconcheff likes this

21 minutes ago, Falcan Moore said:

Funny, aren't the Eagles 0-3 in pre-season after just getting shut out by the browns? Bur we're going to be worse because...we also look bad in pre-season?

Ok.

You do realize its the same Eagles team that took the Patriots down in the Super Bowl last year?  If you want to beat the Eagles, you have to be better than the Patriots were in the Super Bowl. I feel bad for Deon Jones because he is going to have to deal with 3 RB's going for screens and more almost every play.

I am not saying its impossible, but I would hope by this time, the Falcons would be concentrating on actually scoring TD's rather than worrying about putting people in positions to see how they react.  The only position worrying about is Sark getting the offense going. 

Falcon Man™ likes this