Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

athell

Bryant back! Garland, Julio, Devonta Out vs Jags

11 minutes ago, TRUju2111 said:

Idk man, then why do starters even play in the preseason? By your philosophy we shouldnt play anyone, and niether should any other team. But they do, and there is a reason. 

But I am not trying to say you are wrong, but it still concerns me. I hope they light the world on fire, I expect them too. I just hope they are in sync day 1 and not a day later!

It’s not a philosophy. It’s a tried and true practice. All the greats, coaches and players alike, say the same thing. I knew it to be true when I played. Everybody I’ve ever seen miss camp and them try to play is off for the first part of the season because they missed that training. Pre season is more than just the teams playing. It’s practice for everybody. The refs. TV, the players, coaches. It’s essentially practicing against somebody else besides your own team. The players will tell you all day they don’t need pre season. It’s extra wear and tear on their bodies. But it’s not all about them. The kinks for everything else in the nfl is worked out I’m pre season. Refs with calls. Trying the new rules such as FG, kickoff, new technology that will be used. Pre is a big practice for 4 weeks. It’s also to evaluate your young players trying to make the team. It’s moreso that than for vets that know what they’re doing. That’s why no starters play in game 4. All guys trying to make the team. There’s a reason for Pre season. It’s just not for timing and all the concerns you have. Those things are hashed out in practice. If Julio and Free were rookies you’re d@mn right they need to be out there to be evaluated. Do you think Quinn needs to evaluate Julio and Free? Not at all. 

On 8/22/2018 at 4:38 AM, TRUju2111 said:

My worry is with Julio, last year him and Ryan had a disconnect, they lost there chemestry. Not working together in the offseason, not getting reps in preseason, I am very concerned. THEY NEED TO BE ON POINT FOR THIS OFFENSE TO SUCCEED!

Remember Julio was hurt most of last year and also this off season Julio was at MR2s passing camp and was at TC fully healthy.With the amount of years in the league and the growing pains the OC had with the offense I think you need to factor in the above as to why last year went like it did.

Ill put money on it now Julio is going to feast this season.

3 hours ago, TRUju2111 said:

Ryan overthrew Julio on just about every deep pass he threw to him last year. The one they connected on, Carolina, Julio dropped. The deep ball was never really a threat last year. 

That's impossible. I heard Ryan doesn't lead receivers.

4 hours ago, Black Francis said:

The game has changed. Teams, primarily offenses don’t use preseason to get in sync anymore. They use the week leading up to game 1 and the first few games of the season. That’s why the product often times is so bad early on. This was discussed nationally 6 or 7 years ago. 

More reasons for teams like us to jump on teams early on and stack up W ....rather than taking it to last game of season and having 1 leg out in grave.

Finish them early. Clinch playoff berth with HFA and get rest prior playoffs.

51 minutes ago, mattyicefalcon said:

More reasons for teams like us to jump on teams early on and stack up W ....rather than taking it to last game of season and having 1 leg out in grave.

Finish them early. Clinch playoff berth with HFA and get rest prior playoffs.

All teams do it. At least with the veterans. It’s just the way of the NFL now. This is not about agreeing with it or inserting my philosophy it’s just the way it is. 

4 hours ago, athell said:

Agreed.  We really don't have an every down back.  And even the teams that do, Bell has missed time, Johnson is coming off injury, McCoy has missed games regularly, Gurley has missed games.  You gotta have a mix of guys to succeed, which with Devonta and Teco we do.  Ito, jury is still out on, he looked better last week but long way to go.

It needs to watch some Warrick Dunn videos to see how to hit a narrow gap and blast through it instead of dancing around. Once he learns to just press the hole, he might turn in to something. I'm pulling for both him and Malik.

4 hours ago, Flying Falcon said:

Why do you keep posting videos of the 261 fatty? Unless he's dropping pounds, these videos aren't going to help us. We need a lean, quick FB to open holes, catch balls out the backfield, and so on.

I appreciate the vids. Dude is a beast.

22 hours ago, TRUju2111 said:

My worry is with Julio, last year him and Ryan had a disconnect, they lost there chemestry. Not working together in the offseason, not getting reps in preseason, I am very concerned. THEY NEED TO BE ON POINT FOR THIS OFFENSE TO SUCCEED!

And Hooper staying in ATL to work with Ryan is bearing fruit. They look like they are on the same page.

19 hours ago, TheFatboi said:

It’s not a philosophy. It’s a tried and true practice. All the greats, coaches and players alike, say the same thing. I knew it to be true when I played. Everybody I’ve ever seen miss camp and them try to play is off for the first part of the season because they missed that training. Pre season is more than just the teams playing. It’s practice for everybody. The refs. TV, the players, coaches. It’s essentially practicing against somebody else besides your own team. The players will tell you all day they don’t need pre season. It’s extra wear and tear on their bodies. But it’s not all about them. The kinks for everything else in the nfl is worked out I’m pre season. Refs with calls. Trying the new rules such as FG, kickoff, new technology that will be used. Pre is a big practice for 4 weeks. It’s also to evaluate your young players trying to make the team. It’s moreso that than for vets that know what they’re doing. That’s why no starters play in game 4. All guys trying to make the team. There’s a reason for Pre season. It’s just not for timing and all the concerns you have. Those things are hashed out in practice. If Julio and Free were rookies you’re d@mn right they need to be out there to be evaluated. Do you think Quinn needs to evaluate Julio and Free? Not at all. 

Where did you play? What position? I'm not being a smart ***, I'm legitimately interested.

21 hours ago, Flyin' In DC said:

Ortiz looked awfully good against the Chiefs. Is this guy a pure or better  run-blocker? Maybe not being pushed by the guy they cut. More competition needed?? I know DQ/TD are always trying to ramp up Competition/Competitiveness. That is a huge trait for them

He's getting a look as a hard-yarder too. Think the staff is as tired of getting stood up on 3rd/4th and 1 as we are. If you looked at FBs this offseason he's very similar to Khalid Hill, which is why the Seahawks cut him. They signed Hill and no need for (2) 260 pd converted Hbs.

It's a good thing to bring in more competition as it's obvious Marx nor McNitt was providing anything.