10 Late Breaking Observations from the Game

Bit bored so decided to compile some of my thoughts from the preseason game. Some original, some maybe not so much lol. Disclaimer....I didn't watch the last quarter and a half.  Didn't look like the Falcons had very many guys in the game that were going to make the team so I didn't see the point.

1. Brandon Fusco made quite a difference in the Falcons running game.  Sometimes players careers are revitalized when they sign with a winner, and I think we might be seeing that with Fusco.  He is a definite upgrade.

2. Julio missing the preseason games provides more opportunities for Ridley to get his chemistry right with Ryan in the preseason games.  I think we are seeing that happen and Ridley will make an impact on this offense from day one.

3. The Chiefs / Falcons game strategies put Ito Smith in a tough spot.  For several possessions, he was running behind a fully 2nd string line against KC's starters.  There wasn't a lot of room.  I thought he did very well to avoid losses on several plays and I was surprised that some people on the board didn't understand the spot he was in.  He was awful on the kick team though. I know he can catch kickoffs though, he was a regular returner in college.

4. I don't think we should hear anymore nonsense about cutting Schaub.  The guy barely hit the field in preseason last year so his current skill level was a bit of a mystery, but the guy led the 2nd string offense to a TD against KC's starters and got them into field position on another drive. That was impressive work.  The Falcons can win some games with this guy if they have to, no chance of him being cut in my opinion.

5. It's really interesting that the Falcons used Riley at MLB in Jones absence when that isn't the position he needs to prove himself at. I can't wait to see who gets the snaps at WLB this week.  I am presuming Deion will be back.  

6. The Falcons are going to have to find a way to get Kazee into the mix on this defense, that guy is great at reading the QB and finding the ball.  Not sure who they do it but hope they can.

7. Marvin Hall and Saubert both impressed me with their speed and route running on their catches.  Hall's play was a very similar route to the famous "butt catch" against New Orleans, and the ball was a little behind him and he had to catch it at his ear, and it thought he did a great job with that.  He's coming along, think he is definitely going to make the squad.

8. Let's pump the brakes on Isaiah Oliver.  He's not taking Poole's job right now.  Or anybody else's.

9. It's obvious to me Quinn doesn't put much value into the preseason games, not even as evaluation tools.  I say that because the majority of snaps in the game are taken by guys that he knows are not going to make the team.  And that is fine, I fully support him keeping the squad heathy, which the Falcons staff does an amazing job with.  That being said, I hope fans aren't too bent out of shape when the Jags outscore the Falcons 20-0 in the second half this week and win 27-13 lol.

10. Thursday night against the Eagles can't get here fast enough.

2 minutes ago, Peyton said:

3. The Chiefs / Falcons game strategies put Ito Smith in a tough spot.  For several possessions, he was running behind a fully 2nd string line against KC's starters.  There wasn't a lot of room.  I thought he did very well to avoid losses on several plays and I was surprised that some people on the board didn't understand the spot he was in.  He was awful on the kick team though. I know he can catch kickoffs though, he was a regular returner in college

When I logged on today, I was wondering if I had seen a different game than everyone else...he did fine against they starters...

I would add, the board as a whole was really busting on Ryan for his deep completion to Ridley for “not leading him enough” because “it could have been a TD” BUT, all i saw was a heck of a throw into tight coverage and a nice catch for a big gain. The way it was explained on here was Ridley had to stop and field it like a punt. 

2 minutes ago, Butudontseeme™ said:

I would add, the board as a whole was really busting on Ryan for his deep completion to Ridley for “not leading him enough” because “it could have been a TD” BUT, all i saw was a heck of a throw into tight coverage and a nice catch for a big gain. The way it was explained on here was Ridley had to stop and field it like a punt. 

Because people think perfect passes and highlights are the way it's played. It was a really nice throw and catch.

Alot on here's wanted to off load Schaubie this off season I questioned that after hearing how he helped guys like Deion Jones's development and after watching what you prescribed against the Chiefs I'm glad that's been put to bed.

Schaub has still got alot to offer and at 5 mill or so against the cap he could well be a steal if anything happens to Ryan.

Hall & Saubert the first mentioned has had ability and can stretch the field vertically I think they always looked at him as a Aldrick Robinson replacement.Saubert I've heard nothing but good things this off season the guy is turning that draft hype into reality could well surprise a few once the bullets start to fly.

12 minutes ago, Butudontseeme™ said:

Throw was perfect, held the safety off long enough to put it where it needed to be..

6 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

Schaub has still got alot to offer and at 5 mill or so against the cap he could well be a steal if anything happens to Ryan.

I'm sure FO is content to pay Schaub until they get someone who they can groom to be a credible backup or if we are lucky, the next late round/UDFA gem.  Benkert has potential but he has a ways to go.  Schaub is a FA after this season and it would be nice to have a few extra bucks in 2019 and not have to re-up with him again.

2 minutes ago, Monolith2001 said:

I'm sure FO is content to pay Schaub until they get someone who they can groom to be a credible backup or if we are lucky, the next late round/UDFA gem.  Benkert has potential but he has a ways to go.  Schaub is a FA after this season and it would be nice to have a few extra bucks in 2019 and not have to re-up with him again.

No doubt but until someone else does step up I gotta say I'd sacrifice the cash to have someone ready made to step in and run the offense.If Benkerts that guy so be it I think as you say he's got a ways to but at least he'll be learning under 2 very savvy vets in Ryan & Schaub.

38 minutes ago, Peyton said:

9. It's obvious to me Quinn doesn't put much value into the preseason games, not even as evaluation tools.  I say that because the majority of snaps in the game are taken by guys that he knows are not going to make the team.  And that is fine, I fully support him keeping the squad heathy, which the Falcons staff does an amazing job with.  That being said, I hope fans aren't too bent out of shape when the Jags outscore the Falcons 20-0 in the second half this week and win 27-13 lol.

First, great post.

Second, your reasoning for #9 would to me be the opposite of not caring about evaluation. We are a team that have not been afraid to put UDFAs in positions of impact. You don't get to that point not using the preseason for evaluation.

Furthermore, DQ has consistently said that's what he is using the preseason for. So I'm not sure if I get your thought process on that.

1 minute ago, ATLFalcons11 said:

First, great post.

Second, your reasoning for #9 would to me be the opposite of not caring about evaluation. We are a team that have not been afraid to put UDFAs in positions of impact. You don't get to that point not using the preseason for evaluation.

Furthermore, DQ has consistently said that's what he is using the preseason for. So I'm not sure if I get your thought process on that.

Almost all of the guys getting most of the snaps aren't even practice squad possibilities, so I think there is a lot more evaluating going on at practice. 

Last year Matt Simms led the Falcons in pass attempts in all 4 preseason games, and I am pretty sure they had no intention of keeping him at any point.

1 hour ago, Butudontseeme™ said:

He didnt have to stop but he slowed down for it. Maybe he was trying not to throw him into the safety but c rid was throttled down.

@Peyton great post brother i agree pretty much with everything. Fusco currently is the man in my eyes. I saw others saying wes is a better pass blocker lol i dont know about that. If we keep running people over like that playaction is going to destroy teams. 

We have so many weapons, i just hope we dont let teams back in the gm. Step on their throat. Team is capable.

1 hour ago, Monolith2001 said:

Back up QBs have become expensive around the league. You're lucky to build one home grown but so many teams are spending good money on non starters.

1 hour ago, Peyton said:

Bit bored so decided to compile some of my thoughts from the preseason game. Some original, some maybe not so much lol. Disclaimer....I didn't watch the last quarter and a half.  Didn't look like the Falcons had very many guys in the game that were going to make the team so I didn't see the point.

1. Brandon Fusco made quite a difference in the Falcons running game.  Sometimes players careers are revitalized when they sign with a winner, and I think we might be seeing that with Fusco.  He is a definite upgrade.

2. Julio missing the preseason games provides more opportunities for Ridley to get his chemistry right with Ryan in the preseason games.  I think we are seeing that happen and Ridley will make an impact on this offense from day one.

3. The Chiefs / Falcons game strategies put Ito Smith in a tough spot.  For several possessions, he was running behind a fully 2nd string line against KC's starters.  There wasn't a lot of room.  I thought he did very well to avoid losses on several plays and I was surprised that some people on the board didn't understand the spot he was in.  He was awful on the kick team though. I know he can catch kickoffs though, he was a regular returner in college.

4. I don't think we should hear anymore nonsense about cutting Schaub.  The guy barely hit the field in preseason last year so his current skill level was a bit of a mystery, but the guy led the 2nd string offense to a TD against KC's starters and got them into field position on another drive. That was impressive work.  The Falcons can win some games with this guy if they have to, no chance of him being cut in my opinion.

5. It's really interesting that the Falcons used Riley at MLB in Jones absence when that isn't the position he needs to prove himself at. I can't wait to see who gets the snaps at WLB this week.  I am presuming Deion will be back.  

6. The Falcons are going to have to find a way to get Kazee into the mix on this defense, that guy is great at reading the QB and finding the ball.  Not sure who they do it but hope they can.

7. Marvin Hall and Saubert both impressed me with their speed and route running on their catches.  Hall's play was a very similar route to the famous "butt catch" against New Orleans, and the ball was a little behind him and he had to catch it at his ear, and it thought he did a great job with that.  He's coming along, think he is definitely going to make the squad.

8. Let's pump the brakes on Isaiah Oliver.  He's not taking Poole's job right now.  Or anybody else's.

10. Thursday night against the Eagles can't get here fast enough.

Riley will get the start at WLB with Deion playing. He started against the jets for the 1st series then moved to MLB. It’s a good thing because Quinn can kill 2 birds with one stone. He can see what else Riley can do and also gets to look at Foye at WLB with the starters. Per Quinn Riley has had an excellent camp at WLB so maybe he’s satisfied with what he’s seen. Even tho he’s only played one series at WLB which was a 3 and out. I watched him again the chiefs live at the game and again at home. He had a pretty good game. Agree with you about Schaub. Been saying that for the longest that the guy is a good backup and there’s no need to let him go. Plus his knowledge of the system is great for Matt as well.