jdawg4876

falcons sign fb

104 posts in this topic

Dang it -- Ortiz was looking good too.  This can't be a good sign.

Maybe McNitt isn't working out and it's nothing.  I'll keep telling myself that.

Kung-Pow likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FLOWERY BRANCH —

Former Alabama fullback Jalston Fowler, who was a fourth-round draft pick in 2015, is set to sign a one-year contract with the Falcons, according to a person familiar with the negotiations.

Fowler, who’s 5-11 and 261 pounds, was drafted by the Tennessee Titans.  He was recently released by the Seahawks.

The Falcons have been Fowler’s favorite team since his childhood and is reportedly super excited. 

The bone-crushing lead blocker has played in 42 NFL games and made eight starts.

Fullbacks Ricky Ortiz and Luke McNitt are the other fullbacks on the roster. Ortiz, who was leading the competition, had a black (non-contact) jersey on in practice on Sunday.

Fowler may be able to improve the Falcons short yardage attack. Against the Chiefs, they threw a pass on fourth-and-2 and rookie running back Ito Smith was stuffed on a fourth-and-1. 

Tim Mazetti likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, Ortiz looked really good and I hope he's okay or at the most is a minor injury. 

At any rate I hope Fowler can step up if he was brought in as something other than depth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, vafalconfan said:

261 lbs!.. Dude outweighs Ortiz by about 30 lbs. Now that's a battering ram!

that is definitely elite size for a FB but if he cannot move his feet quick enough or be the occassional pass catcher - it won't matter.  Not judging him either way - just sayin'.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BleedBlack&Red said:

What if Fowler does well do we keep him as a 3rd TE?

We already have Paulson.

Sucks for Ortiz, hopefully it's just a short term injury.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

that is definitely elite size for a FB but if he cannot move his feet quick enough or be the occassional pass catcher - it won't matter.  Not judging him either way - just sayin'.

Dude had 7 receiving TDs at Alabama. Just sayin’. He’s sneaky athletic for a bigger back. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, shock said:

Dude had 7 receiving TDs at Alabama. Just sayin’. He’s sneaky athletic for a bigger back. 

I remember Fowler was highly touted coming out of Bama and was drafted in 4th round(rare for FB) - was a fan favorite on TATF back then and I was intrigued as well.....Just sayin' he was cut - presumably for a reason.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He was a tailback coming out of high school and had a long run against Michigan State in a bowl game a few years back.  He was also the lead blocker for two Heisman running backs, so he knows what he's doing.  I see him making the roster.

Tim Mazetti, PokerSteve and g-dawg like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, CrimsonFalcon said:

He was a tailback coming out of high school and had a long run against Michigan State in a bowl game a few years back.  He was also the lead blocker for two Heisman running backs, so he knows what he's doing.  I see him making the roster.

well only one fullback will be on the 53 man roster - so my guess would be Fowler makes it and Ortiz goes on the Practice Squad - there is literally no chance the Falcons will keep two Fullbacks on the roster.

Tim Mazetti likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jdawg4876 said:

FLOWERY BRANCH —

Former Alabama fullback Jalston Fowler, who was a fourth-round draft pick in 2015, is set to sign a one-year contract with the Falcons, according to a person familiar with the negotiations.

Fowler, who’s 5-11 and 261 pounds, was drafted by the Tennessee Titans.  He was recently released by the Seahawks.

The Falcons have been Fowler’s favorite team since his childhood and is reportedly super excited. 

The bone-crushing lead blocker has played in 42 NFL games and made eight starts.

Fullbacks Ricky Ortiz and Luke McNitt are the other fullbacks on the roster. Ortiz, who was leading the competition, had a black (non-contact) jersey on in practice on Sunday.

Fowler may be able to improve the Falcons short yardage attack. Against the Chiefs, they threw a pass on fourth-and-2 and rookie running back Ito Smith was stuffed on a fourth-and-1. 

Dude can catch out of the backfield.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

I remember Fowler was highly touted coming out of Bama and was drafted in 4th round(rare for FB) - was a fan favorite on TATF back then and I was intrigued as well.....Just sayin' he was cut - presumably for a reason.

108th overall is EARLY for a FB.

g-dawg likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Stray Dog THA GAWD said:

One of the most underrated positions in the game, and it showed last year.

Yep. Saw a drop-off from 37% to 31% of offensive snaps using a FB from 2016 to 2017. I think some of that is from that is because of the drop-off in talent. I wonder why TENN cut bait so quickly and why the Seahawks let him go as well?

Edited by ATLSlobberKnockers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now