lju713

What are we missing in your opinion

58 posts in this topic

14 hours ago, lju713 said:

Clayborn will be missed. I'm hoping a Tamba Ali comes free or a another who's job will be to pin their ears back and rush. Reed sets the edge in the run game and has some rush ability, but we need more.

Can't mention Clayborn around here, some will say his numbers are over rated lol. 

Clay. Will be missed, and as I do think Camp will be that 3 rusher Crawford should be mixed in there too 

I agree clay will be missed he had a nose for Fumble Recoveries. was his sacks inflated last yr, yes no doubt. but he will get you 4-6 sacks a yr when healthy which is nothing to sneeze at.

I actually like we got at dt, a combo of senat, McClain, grady, and jack Crawford is good.

What I think we need is a vet lb, and a rotational piece at DE. 

Good depth on the offense ... most would agree ... so on Defense...

1. Linebacker - assuming Foye works out and Riley does not, it will be Ish. We could use another LB. Hopefully Celestin can continue to flash.

2. DL - This is not as big a need as some here think. Let's not forget that Crawford and Shelby were out most of last season. Vick is returning to his primary role as pass rusher. If Senat turns out to be Grady 2.0 we should be set. Also Zimmer and Winbush have impressed in preseason.

3. Safety - Depth galore with Ish, Kazee and Ron Parket

4. Corner - Depth galore ... especially if Oliver pans out as expected.

This is the year fellas...

Tim Mazetti likes this

11 minutes ago, MagnusXXIII said:

Good depth on the offense ... most would agree ... so on Defense...

1. Linebacker - assuming Foye works out and Riley does not, it will be Ish. We could use another LB. Hopefully Celestin can continue to flash.

2. DL - This is not as big a need as some here think. Let's not forget that Crawford and Shelby were out most of last season. Vick is returning to his primary role as pass rusher. If Senat turns out to be Grady 2.0 we should be set. Also Zimmer and Winbush have impressed in preseason.

3. Safety - Depth galore with Ish, Kazee and Ron Parket

4. Corner - Depth galore ... especially if Oliver pans out as expected.

This is the year fellas...

ish is a full time LB now

I think this is as complete a football roster as the Atlanta Falcons have ever assembled.  When you start to ask "what are we missing", and the first thing people talk about is "depth", that means that your team is pretty solid.

I think depth at the LB position is still the main concern.  I disagree about the DL being a concern.  With the drafting of Senat, who is looking good so far, and Crawford coming back, as well as the addition of McClain and the resigning of Shelby, and Brooks Reed returning, I think this is a pretty deep group. Takk needs to stay healthy though.

10 minutes ago, Peyton said:

I think this is as complete a football roster as the Atlanta Falcons have ever assembled.  When you start to ask "what are we missing", and the first thing people talk about is "depth", that means that your team is pretty solid.

I think depth at the LB position is still the main concern.  I disagree about the DL being a concern.  With the drafting of Senat, who is looking good so far, and Crawford coming back, as well as the addition of McClain and the resigning of Shelby and Reed, I think this is a pretty deep group. Takk needs to stay healthy though.

Beasley --yoyoed between OLB and DE so much I don't think he's comfortable at either

Shelby--I'd say good to go even after missing part of last season

Mcclain--Does he truly know this system yet??

Senat--ROOKIE nough said

Jarrett --- good to go

Crawford--- missed 1/2 last season is he ready??

Mckinley --limited experience

Reed ---good to go

Zimmer  ---?????

G Smith ---?????

J*T Jones ---haven't seen much of him this preseason

T-Mariner----ROOKIE

Cunningham----ROOKIE

Still  I think they will ALL be ready game 1

I can't disagree about needing more quality linebacking. 

Really, other than that, I think what the Falcons need most is to be more focused and execute a lot better than last year.

As weird as last year was, if they had just made the plays they screwed up, they no doubt would've won 12 or 13 games. 

PokerSteve likes this

I wanna see if we can trade a late rounder for one of the three... Shaq Lawson, Dante Fowler, or Shane Ray. Also I think we need a true starting Lb over Riley if Foye or Ish aren't ready. 

16 hours ago, roguebeaver said:

Someone to step forward and write the checks for all the fines the birds will be hit with this year! The lowering the crown rule, The Aaron Rodgers Rule, and the myriad of other fines for unnecessary roughness...standing by! 

Btw, most will certainly be subjective and most definitely questionable! 

I'm going to predict Falcons are going to be top three this season in number of penalties called on these rule changes. :(:angry::bang:

1 minute ago, Beast-N-Da-Sheetz said:

I wanna see if we can trade a late rounder for one of the three... Shaq Lawson, Dante Fowler, or Shane Ray. Also I think we need a true starting Lb over Riley if Foye or Ish aren't ready. 

What is a “true” starting anything? There were guys here that wanted Spoon and worrilow to start over Debo and Campbell. I guess cause they were true starting players. The best coaches put their young out there and let them get their lumps. Not develop behind some old vet. They try to get them in the action as early as possible. Trust and believe if duke can’t play he won’t. I’ve never once see Quinn Play a guy that couldn’t play. He will give him a shot. It’s up to the player to make the best of it. If not he’ll be gone. 

kiwifalcon likes this

2 minutes ago, TheFatboi said:

What is a “true” starting anything? There were guys here that wanted Spoon and worrilow to start over Debo and Campbell. I guess cause they were true starting players. The best coaches put their young out there and let them get their lumps. Not develop behind some old vet. They try to get them in the action as early as possible. Trust and believe if duke can’t play he won’t. I’ve never once see Quinn Play a guy that couldn’t play. He will give him a shot. It’s up to the player to make the best of it. If not he’ll be gone. 

Week 1 is right around the corner and Duke still looks like a liability. I hope he developes but it's looking like a slow process. Foye already looks better and still might not be ready. I just don't think we can afford a hole at Lb spot especially with Campbell rushing the passer more this year. Oh and anybody who wanted Spoon and Wor to start over Jones and Campbell, were probably idiots or just didn't know football. Because Debo and Campbell both showed a lot of promise in their rookie year unlike Duke in his second year.

LB Depth

Returner

I'm comfortable with everything else, I feel like we need to sign a vet LB incase Duke craps the bed or gets stuck covering punts and kickoffs

A big rotational run stuffer for the middle of the line (J Hankins is still free. Might be able to convince him to chase a ring)

Another pass rusher on the D Line (Would like to entertain a trade for Dante Fowler Jr if possible. Maybe a 2nd would do it) 

A starting caliber WLB (Should have signed Mychal Kendricks when we had a chance. Not sure who would work here)

22 hours ago, lju713 said:

I don't put alot of stock in preseason football. I watch who and what I want to watch far as the team. I like the DL, but I don't love it. I think we need a 3rd pass rusher, and another big bodied DT. I'm hoping a cap casualty or surprise vet cut helps us out at those spots. Thoughts?

I'm right here with you.  Depth on the DL

1 hour ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

I dont know if theres a more widely misunderstood concept in the NFL than alleged "roster depth."

I'm not sure what your point is here, but team's that win it all either get REALLY lucky, or they have "roster" depth, i.e. can overcome the injuries because they have guys that can step up and replace the injured players.

22 minutes ago, Boise Falcon Fan said:

I'm right here with you.  Depth on the DL

Beasley   Shelby

McClain   Senat

Jarrett  Crawford

McKinley  Reed

most likely 1 more DE

BIG investments

BIG future  investments

Whose not up to snuff? who would you cut to bring in more depth?? 

7 hours ago, Peyton said:

Isn't it grand?

11 hours ago, Beast-N-Da-Sheetz said:

I was thinking the same thing and I'm thinking Ray would make the most sense. 

1.  A good interior OL.  Until this interior OL performs in real games, this has to be our number one concern.  Production in the Red Zone and short yardage situations is the measuring stick. 

2.  CB's that can intercept, rather than just defend.  

3.  An OC that has found a way to get the most out of the personnel on the field.  Just like #1, Sark has to prove he can get it done in real games.

4.  A head coach that has a firm gasp of both sides of the ball that the game situation.  The SB collapse was, in large part, due to DQ's apparent absence as a decision maker at the most crucial time of the game.  Allowing his OC to botch the game was inexcusable.  Let's see if DQ has learned his lesson.  

17 hours ago, Boise Falcon Fan said:

I'm not sure what your point is here, but team's that win it all either get REALLY lucky, or they have "roster" depth, i.e. can overcome the injuries because they have guys that can step up and replace the injured players.

I think

1) Most of these assessments occur retrospectively and are usually (not always but usually) examples of survivorship bias

and

2) The expectations fans have for required "depth" are wholly unrealistic and dont track well with the relative quality of the league. 

So if we're talking about the 2017 Eagles, we can absolutely say they had tremendous defensive line depth. We could have said that in 2016 and headed into 2017. Thats absolutely true. But when they win, theres a tendency to look back and say "oh man, look at the OL depth they had! They lost Jason Peters and didnt explode!" even though Vaitai wasnt good. Its this weird focus on one data point while ignoring the whole picture (roster, coaching, lucky breaks, health, etc.).