Say it with me: The Falcons will look bad against the Jags

Sun Tzu 7

In the time Quinn has been here one thing has been constant.

The Falcons look BAD in preseason game #3.

Even in 2012 they looked bad in preseason game #3.

Everyone should do themselves a favor.  Go ahead and get ready for it.  Look forward to it.

Remember the most successful seasons the Falcons have had recently have been preceded by a bad showing in this upcoming game.

So think of it as good luck if it happens again. 

Yep even when we went on to produce a top 10 offense in NFL history, we were getting decimated by the Dolphins in preseason game 3. Oline was getting wrecked, sloppy conditions, we even pulled Ryan early

I hate these preseason game 3’s in Florida, it’s raining every time. 75% of 1st team preseason reps come in game 3, and with rain you’re spending 3/4ths of your preseason reps on helping prepare for rain games, which is typically roughly 1 game out of 16. Or, even better, you pull your starters early like we’ve done because the conditions are garbage and so you get even less reps

1 hour ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

In the time Quinn has been here one thing has been constant.

The Falcons look BAD in preseason game #3.

Even in 2012 they looked bad in preseason game #3.

Everyone should do themselves a favor.  Go ahead and get ready for it.  Look forward to it.

Remember the most successful seasons the Falcons have had recently have been preceded by a bad showing in this upcoming game.

So think of it as good luck if it happens again. 

I hope this isn't true!  If it happens, and we lose the last PS game, too, I don't think any team has ever played in the Super Bowl, after losing all of their PS games. 

Of course, no team has ever played in the SB in their own stadium, either --- maybe we'll just make them both a "first".....:lol:  

14 minutes ago, since68andcounting said:

There was one year I think we played Cincy in game 3 and were getting completely manhandled on both sides of the LOS. Then we got to the regular season, and we were getting completely manhandled on both sides of the LOS. Sometimes it means nothing. Sometimes it does.

The thing about that game was you forget the joint practices that week where the same thing was happening.

I remember hearing the coaching staff thought the lines were going to be OK and then they had the joint practices and they noticed they had a problem.

I’ve found the thing about the lines is if you have a problem there you see it consistently throughout the preseason.

That being said if it’s so bad they have to pull Ryan to keep him from getting injured, like game 3 2015, expect them to make a move.  They traded for Levitre right after that game.

For some reason Smith thought his staff could coach up the lines... no matter what.  Quinn seems to have a better understanding.

1 hour ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

The thing about that game was you forget the joint practices that week where the same thing was happening.

I remember hearing the coaching staff thought the lines were going to be OK and then they had the joint practices and they noticed they had a problem.

I’ve found the thing about the lines is if you have a problem there you see it consistently throughout the preseason.

That being said if it’s so bad they have to pull Ryan to keep him from getting injured, like game 3 2015, expect them to make a move.  They traded for Levitre right after that game.

For some reason Smith thought his staff could coach up the lines... no matter what.  Quinn seems to have a better understanding.

Marvin Lewis told Smitty that his lines were soft after those practices.

2 minutes ago, FentayeJones said:

Marvin Lewis told Smitty that his lines were soft after those practices.

Smitty asked him "How do you remain a coach for life?"

"It's simple," Lewis responded, "I tell ownership there are eight games a season. Every year we have eight wins and look undefeated."

5 hours ago, since68andcounting said:

There was one year I think we played Cincy in game 3 and were getting completely manhandled on both sides of the LOS. Then we got to the regular season, and we were getting completely manhandled on both sides of the LOS. Sometimes it means nothing. Sometimes it does.

That was in 2013 against the Bengals and that was the 1st preseason game. 

Again, another reason why I believe preseason while it doesn't count, it still matters when it comes to match ups and your overall depth. It depends on the game situation. 

3 hours ago, Jesus said:

6 Vikings left their game with the Jags  the other night with injuries. Most of them season ending.

The Vikings are about to have a hangover from last season. You don't have to play in the Super Bowl to suffer the hangover. You can have your once in awhile "amazing" season winning between 10 and 13 games then the following year you drop off hard. It happened to the Falcons going from 13-3 in 2012 to 4-12 in 2013. The Falcons hangovers aren't that bad anymore because we have a consistent franchise QB who's been in the league for a decade and has experienced the good and the bad. 

Edited by mqg96

6 minutes ago, mqg96 said:

That was in 2013 against the Bengals and that was the 1st preseason game. 

Again, another reason why I believe preseason while it doesn't count, it still matters when it comes to match ups and your overall depth. It depends on the game situation. 

Dan Quinn said that a bit of the struggle in the preseason is running plays designed to get the ball in the hands of a certain player they want to evaluate vs. calling a play based on the specific down and distance

Also Dan Quinn:

"We generally don’t treat (preseason games) the same as in-season....We don’t do the game planning part of it to get ready..."