Matt Ryan is not a Franchise QB according to Bucky Brooks NFL.com

7 hours ago, Bigbenright said:

Not many NFL coaches or fans would agree with your definition/standard for a franchise QB.

Before last year I believe Wilson rarely had many 400 yard games. He is a great athlete and looked better last year but lets see him elevate Seattle to a playoff team with a lesser defense.

Why should I care if they disagree with my definition? Clearly you don't care about Bucky's definition on what a franchise QB is. I doubt either one of us care about your definition. I am not trying to be rude. The point is, that you can define "franchise QB" any way you want, and based on that definition, someone may or may not qualify as a franchise QB.

Edited by Intellectually Honest

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 hours ago, Intellectually Honest said:

Based on my standards there are only 3 franchise Qbs currently. Brady, Rodgers, and Wilson. I think Brees was a franchise QB, but no longer is. Luck is too injury prone. Wentz and Watson have a chance, but the injuries will get worse not better the longer they play in the NFL. To me a franchise QB is extremely rare. It's not a knock against Ryan.

:lol:

On 8/17/2018 at 7:30 PM, Intellectually Honest said:

Ignorant about what? Ryan put up big numbers one year. So he CAN do it. But that is with a great OC. He has been consistent with the yards. He has trouble in the endzone. If anything that keeps people from thinking Ryan is special is his lack of TDs, is an obvious reason why people aren't gaga over him. I criticize Ryan, but I see him improving moving the pocket around. Maybe the OC is holding him back, but lack of TD production has been something that plagued Ryan his entire career.

Matt Ryan's TD percentage for his career is 4.6% That is better than Matthew Stafford, Dan Fouts, John Elway, Steve Bartkowski, Joe Theismann, Warren Moon, Troy Aikman to name a few. Ryan averages 26 TD passes a season. That's 260 TD passes in 10 years. That ranks 3 in NFL history for most TD passes through 10 years of a career.

1. Peyton Manning = 306
  2. Dan Marino = 290
  3. Matt Ryan = 260
  4. Brett Favre = 255
  5. Drew Brees = 235
  6. Eli Manning = 229
  7. Aaron Rodgers = 226
  8. Tom Brady = 225
  9. Jim Kelly = 223
  10. Philip Rivers = 221

Link

If Matt Ryan continues his 26 TD passes per year mark for 6 more years (16 years total) that puts him at 416 total. Currently there's only 5 QB's in NFL history that have ever reached that mark and a few more that will reach it here in the next few years (Roethlisberger (if he keeps playing), Rivers, Manning and Rodgers. Currently Ryan has the 18th most TD passes ever, and the list isn't only new aged players, there's plenty of players from yesteryear on the list.

Link

I agree with what @TheFatboi was saying about Matt Ryan. He doesn't scare defenses so teams to specifically game plan to stop Ryan, they game plan around Julio. It's different than a team that specifically game plans against a guy like Rodgers. But that does not take away from Matt Ryan's abilities and that he has produced plenty of TD passes in his career and teams know that he's capable of carving them up for 3 or 4 TD passes if he's on his A game.

10 hours ago, Intellectually Honest said:

Maybe that Stafford is trending upward from 2016 to 2017, where Ryan is trending downward. Before you get excited, I am not saying either trend cannot change. Just that people are not as high on Ryan as Falcon fans are with Ryan having a down year in 2017.

I agree and understand where you're coming from. I just think, for some reason, that the media doesn't give him a fair shake sometimes.

1 hour ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Matt Ryan's TD percentage for his career is 4.6% That is better than Matthew Stafford, Dan Fouts, John Elway, Steve Bartkowski, Joe Theismann, Warren Moon, Troy Aikman to name a few. Ryan averages 26 TD passes a season. That's 260 TD passes in 10 years. That ranks 3 in NFL history for most TD passes through 10 years of a career.

1. Peyton Manning = 306
  2. Dan Marino = 290
  3. Matt Ryan = 260
  4. Brett Favre = 255
  5. Drew Brees = 235
  6. Eli Manning = 229
  7. Aaron Rodgers = 226
  8. Tom Brady = 225
  9. Jim Kelly = 223
  10. Philip Rivers = 221

Link

If Matt Ryan continues his 26 TD passes per year mark for 6 more years (16 years total) that puts him at 416 total. Currently there's only 5 QB's in NFL history that have ever reached that mark and a few more that will reach it here in the next few years (Roethlisberger (if he keeps playing), Rivers, Manning and Rodgers. Currently Ryan has the 18th most TD passes ever, and the list isn't only new aged players, there's plenty of players from yesteryear on the list.

Link

I agree with what @TheFatboi was saying about Matt Ryan. He doesn't scare defenses so teams to specifically game plan to stop Ryan, they game plan around Julio. It's different than a team that specifically game plans against a guy like Rodgers. But that does not take away from Matt Ryan's abilities and that he has produced plenty of TD passes in his career and teams know that he's capable of carving them up for 3 or 4 TD passes if he's on his A game.

That's what I was looking at and it opened my eyes up...didn't realize Ryan was where he's at in TDs stat. Looking at this and all his stats...I just don't think many(media) realize how good he's really been.   

On 8/17/2018 at 6:03 PM, The Falcon Jedi Knight said:

Ryan is not even listed, or mentioned, according to this list by Bucky Brooks.

Someone really should blast his twitter about this.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000948583/article/nfls-true-franchise-quarterbacks-sam-darnold-scouting-report

There's reason he is a commentator instead of a front office employee. He's not good at it.

So, Bucky, you decided on franchise by who could lift a team up, then you put Stafford in, who hasn't won a playoff game in his 9 year career, Brees, whose team had a 7-9 record for 3 straight years, Wentz, who hasn't played 2 full years yet, and the first year wasn't all that impressive, Newton, who hasn't produced back to back winning seasons in 7 years, Rivers, whose team has been to the playoff once since 09, Watson, played 7 games total. Jeez, why didn't you just say-these are my favorite QBs right now?

Granted, Brees deserves to be on the list,  but that's just silly list, by his own criteria.

The issue I have with Ryan is his accuracy in leading receivers with the ball.  Too many times balls are thrown behind the receiver on crossing and deep routes.  If he led Ridley with the deep pass against the Chiefs that's a TD. Same with Hall on a crossing route, had to reach back for the ball and allowed defender to get on him.  WCO is predicated on YAC and it'll be difficult for the receivers to do that with inaccurate, underthrown balls.

2 hours ago, Da_Truth said:

The issue I have with Ryan is his accuracy in leading receivers with the ball.  Too many times balls are thrown behind the receiver on crossing and deep routes.  If he led Ridley with the deep pass against the Chiefs that's a TD. Same with Hall on a crossing route, had to reach back for the ball and allowed defender to get on him.  WCO is predicated on YAC and it'll be difficult for the receivers to do that with inaccurate, underthrown balls.

Thing I noticed about the Ridley completion is the pocket was collapsing and Ryan couldn't step into the throw.

Ryan is top 10 all time in completion %, had a 70% comp rate on Friday,  he averaged 13 yards an attempt last Friday . HTF is that innaccurate?

8 minutes ago, falconidae said:

Thing I noticed about the Ridley completion is the pocket was collapsing and Ryan couldn't step into the throw.

Ryan is top 10 all time in completion %, had a 70% comp rate on Friday,  he averaged 13 yards an attempt last Friday . HTF is that innaccurate?

Ryan is not that accurate and it's okay.  It doesn't have anything to do with completion percentages, because receivers do catch bad passes.  If you're in denial that's fine.  But if you're being honest and watching the same plays as everyone else, how can you not see a number of Ryan's passes are short or behind the receivers, TEs and RBs?  It's a major factor in guys not picking up YAC and possibly more TDs.  It's just a part of his game that needs work.  AND it's just not the Ridley pass either.

6 minutes ago, Da_Truth said:

Ryan is not that accurate and it's okay.  It doesn't have anything to do with completion percentages, because receivers do catch bad passes.  If you're in denial that's fine.  But if you're being honest and watching the same plays as everyone else, how can you not see a number of Ryan's passes are short or behind the receivers, TEs and RBs?  It's a major factor in guys not picking up YAC and possibly more TDs.  It's just a part of his game that needs work.  AND it's just not the Ridley pass either.

Lol at Ryan isn’t accurate. I really hope you’re joking.

42 minutes ago, falconsfan4life3 said:

Lol at Ryan isn’t accurate. I really hope you’re joking.

Ryan is accurate on certain throws and has been the best QB the Falcons have ever had.  Trust me, I've been around long enough to see a lot of the past garbage QBs in Falcons history.  I just said Ryan's not very accurate on certain throws (ones where he has to lead the WR, TE or RB with the ball, e.g., crossing, some go routes, lobbing the ball to the corner of the end zone.  Now if you're still in denial, I recommend you actually go WATCH his throws on some of the routes I mentioned.  

30 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

I think @Da_Truth is confusing accuracy with timing. Timing is the issue with the routes he mentioned, not accuracy. Ryan is one of the most accurate QBs in NFL history.

I believe the only thing that's held Matt Ryan back throughout his career is his arm strength. He's still played at an extreme high level without having one of the strongest arms in the league which tells you a lot. 

8 hours ago, Da_Truth said:

Riiiight, I disagree with you, I'm in denial. Couldn't possibly be because you are wrong.

Ryan is the 8th most accurate passer ever in the NFL, that's just impossible if he's as inaccurate as you claim. 

9 hours ago, Da_Truth said:

Okie Dokie Bucky.

teeth GIF