Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Falcon Jedi Knight

Matt Ryan is not a Franchise QB according to Bucky Brooks NFL.com

195 posts in this topic

Don’t feel like getting too worked up over a meaningless article right now, but how can he have Rivers, Newton, and Stafford on there but not Matt Ryan? Not to mention Wentz and Watson, who probably will go on to have great careers, but haven’t proven anything over a long period of time yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, The Closer said:

6 playoff appearances, 2 NFC championships appearances, 1 NFC title, 1 League MVP, 1 Super Bowl Appearance in 10 seasons. Definitely not overrated...

Has made the playoffs with 4 different coordinators.  Can’t say he’s just a system QB or that Kyle made him good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, The Falcon Jedi Knight said:

Ryan is not even listed, or mentioned, according to this list by Bucky Brooks.

Someone really should blast his twitter about this.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000948583/article/nfls-true-franchise-quarterbacks-sam-darnold-scouting-report

 

I like Bucky Brooks. I do disagree with him on this. Maybe Bucky equates "franchise" with "elite". Depends on what he thinks a franchise QB is in the first place. Plus the article says Top 10 True Franchise QBs. Maybe he thinks Ryan is top 11 Franchise QB. I hear sports talking heads split on Ryan. Some think he is a big time franchise QB and others think he is alright but nothing spectacular.

Riser Upper likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Intellectually Honest said:

I like Bucky Brooks. I do disagree with him on this. Maybe Bucky equates "franchise" with "elite". Depends on what he thinks a franchise QB is in the first place. Plus the article says Top 10 True Franchise QBs. Maybe he thinks Ryan is top 11 Franchise QB. I hear sports talking heads split on Ryan. Some think he is a big time franchise QB and others think he is alright but nothing spectacular.

True, which proves just how many woefully ignorant talking heads there are.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, AndrewsFrancisBart said:

True, which proves just how many woefully ignorant talking heads there are.

Ignorant about what? Ryan put up big numbers one year. So he CAN do it. But that is with a great OC. He has been consistent with the yards. He has trouble in the endzone. If anything that keeps people from thinking Ryan is special is his lack of TDs, is an obvious reason why people aren't gaga over him. I criticize Ryan, but I see him improving moving the pocket around. Maybe the OC is holding him back, but lack of TD production has been something that plagued Ryan his entire career.

PokerSteve and Riser Upper like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Read it earlier...his argument is the with Kyle, without Kyle years...and probably the fact Ryan has Julio. Whatever man, I’d take him over half that list and all that matters is we have him

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Intellectually Honest said:

Ignorant about what? Ryan put up big numbers one year. So he CAN do it. But that is with a great OC. He has been consistent with the yards. He has trouble in the endzone. If anything that keeps people from thinking Ryan is special is his lack of TDs, is an obvious reason why people aren't gaga over him. I criticize Ryan, but I see him improving moving the pocket around. Maybe the OC is holding him back, but lack of TD production has been something that plagued Ryan his entire career.

I have no interest in going round and round arguing over Matt Ryan anymore.  I get it.  Some have the opinion that he's not a great QB.  My opinion is that he is obviously a great QB, and I chose to be kind in assessing those who disagree as ignorant, because lack of intelligence is the only other explanation...in my opinion, of course.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Jesus said:

If you own all the franchise passing records you might be a franchise QB.

I think when people think about "Franchise QB" is means they think the team can put the hopes of the team winning a Super Bowl on that QBs back. That the QB makes the whole team better. That the players rally behind the QB and even if the rest of the team sucks, the QB is so good that the team still has a chance to win. It's not enough just to be great. As for setting team records, that depends which team and their records. Some team records are low bars.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, takeitdown said:

It's hard to explain the Koetter years if you think Ryan's only good with Shanny.

He's actually been much more up and down since the WCO came in.

Right?  Who would have thought winning an MVP could become the basis for yet another argument that Matt Ryan isn't a top-tier QB.  I've never seen anything like it.  You'd think Matt is one of the most unlikable guys in the league.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Brewcrew said:

Has made the playoffs with 4 different coordinators.  Can’t say he’s just a system QB or that Kyle made him good.

In 2013 Harry Douglas was his leading WR.  Matt was 4th in passing yards that year with 4500+.  That season proved he is not a system QB nor the problem.  Douglas was an iffy #3 WR here and is out of the league now.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites