Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DogIsYourName

Our team has to prove it

55 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, DogIsYourName said:

Until I see it on the field, I believe this is an average team.  This is not 2016.  Every year is different.  We have some good players but so do a lot of teams.  **** even the Cleveland Browns look like they can make some noise.

I need to see pass protection, Matt finding the open man, and that man catching the ball.  On 3rd and 8, I need to see passes traveling more than 8 yards.  I need to see a penalty free drive.  And on the other side of the ball, I need to see our front seven stop the run.  

Until we see it, we are average and overrated.  Jalen Ramsey is right.  We really shouldn't be so optimistic unless we at least get a glimpse on Friday night! 

Jalen Ramsey is currently suspended for running his mouth, has never played Ryan in a game, said Bortles was a good QB and that ARod and Brady "Don't suck", see no reason to take him seriously.

Drew Brees, who has competed with Ryan twice a year for a decade calls Ryan elite. Going to side with Brees over Ramsey here.

Falcons return the top 36 out of the top 40 snap counts from last year-that's the core of a team that has playoff victories in each of the last two years. They have a QB in his prime with a ton of weapons, a solid Oline and a young exciting defense with studs at every level, best HC they've ever had, what looks to be a great draft.  If you need a glimpse of that Friday night to be happy, I feel sorry for you.

And, you just don't understand how Quinn does the preseason, DQ don't care about making you happy. He cares about evaluating the bottom of the roster players and getting out of the game healthy. That's exactly what he's done his first 3 years, what he did last week, what he'll do tonight.

Last night, NE played their first string players the entire first half, they looked good against the Eagles second string the second quarter. Quinn ain't gonna do that.He had rookies and UDFAs  starting last week. After 3 snaps on defense, he had 5 rookies on defense, with only one starter on the field, after 3 snaps on offense, he had the 3rd string Oline out there, with only one starter on the field.

He'll probably play the starters the first quarter this game, but he won't be game planning, he won't even do situational football. Like last week, when, after penalties, it was 3rd and very long, rather than risk getting Matt hit on a deep drop, they just ran a quick play to get off the field. He'll do that again.

He's interested in what individual players do in certain situations, so he's going to call plays that allow him to evaluate players in those situations, even if those plays don't make sense in trying to win the game. Quinn has repeatedly said that's what he does during preseason, and he's shown that what he does in the first 13 preseason games he's coached. Expecting him to do something different is just setting yourself up for disappointment.

1 minute ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

Preseason is when our fans literally lose half their brain cells with every game. Every single season

It's universal, if you visit other teams boards, same thing is happening. There's a good chunk of posters on every board freaking out about preseason games.

JD dirtybird21 likes this

36 minutes ago, mqg96 said:

Do people forget that Nick Foles started the whole year for the Eagles in 2013 and led them to a 10-6 season and a division title? Is that totally forgotten? I feel like I was the only one who knew there wasn't a big gap between Carson Wentz and Nick Foles. It was the Eagles TEAM who was very solid in 2017, and in 2016 the reason they finished 7-9 was because of their horrible 1-7 record in road games but they were still 6-2 at home, had a decent defense, and led the league in time of possession (which was the worst match up for the 2016 Falcons offense). All they had to do in 2017 was fix their road record and they were going to be legit contenders. 

https://mobile.twitter.com/NFL/status/952294059556593664/video/1

Lucky some hunter didn’t try to shoot down that wounded duck pass.

Foles is not a good QB. He just got hot at the right time. 

9 hours ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

The team doesn’t have to prove **** in the preseason to help you sleep at night. You think the team is average? That’s your problem. 

Everyone on this board has amnesia, even Cam Newton doesn't whine this much.  In the 2016 Pre-season our offense looked like absolute garbage.  

All camp all we heard was how good they looked, Ryan praised everyone, and we stepped out against the Miami Dolphins in pre-week 3, and there were no less than 5 fire Shanahan threads on the front page.  Yet here we are in a similar scenario in 2018 after 1 drive in 1 game. 

One thing that I've learned is that Matt Ryan doesn't use his words as a bluff, he calls his shots. 

In 2010- he said we were a 12-13 win team, we won 13 games. 

In 2013, he said it was his best team, we go to his first NFC championship.  

2016, the offense was clicking great, we go to the Superbowl

2018, yet again calls this his best team, says offense looks great, I think we know where this is headed. 

Yes we suck because we went 1-1 in the playoffs last year. For 40 years the Falcons couldn’t even have winning Seasons twice in a row and now we suck not going to the NFC championship 2x in a row. 

Well I guess high expectations is a sign of success too.

Oldmanfan likes this

6 minutes ago, Vandy said:

https://mobile.twitter.com/NFL/status/952294059556593664/video/1

Lucky some hunter didn’t try to shoot down that lame duck pass.

Foles is not a good QB. He just got hot at the right time. 

Then why did he put up 38 on that mighty Vikings defense or put up 41 on the Patriots? Or was it really good Falcons defense? 

He was already proven that he could lead a team as a starting QB back in 2013. 

9 hours ago, DogIsYourName said:

Until I see it on the field, I believe this is an average team.  This is not 2016.  Every year is different.  We have some good players but so do a lot of teams.  **** even the Cleveland Browns look like they can make some noise.

I need to see pass protection, Matt finding the open man, and that man catching the ball.  On 3rd and 8, I need to see passes traveling more than 8 yards.  I need to see a penalty free drive.  And on the other side of the ball, I need to see our front seven stop the run.  

Until we see it, we are average and overrated.  Jalen Ramsey is right.  We really shouldn't be so optimistic unless we at least get a glimpse on Friday night! 

1. Yeah, OK. The Browns. If they win 4 games, that's "making noise".

2. The Falcons gave up a piddly 24 sacks last year. Only two teams gave up less.  (In a "down" year)

3. Falcons led the league in 3rd down conversion percentage last year. (In a "down" year)

4. Falcons gave up the 9th fewest rushing yards per game last year. (In a "down" year)

5. No...he's an ******* that's doing a great job of getting his name in print and getting Twitter/Instagram followers from all 30 teams fans. It's actually pretty genius.

15 minutes ago, mqg96 said:

Then why did he put up 38 on that mighty Vikings defense or put up 41 on the Patriots? Or was it really good Falcons defense? 

He was already proven that he could lead a team as a starting QB back in 2013. 

Because His coaches put him in position to succeed. He has no arm strength. 

I’m not saying he’s terrible, i’m Saying he’s a backup QB who would get exposed over the course of a full season. Other than his one good season you keep pointing to, he’s been meh. 

He found Genie in a bottle. If we had taken care of business in philly, nobody would be talking about Mr. Foles. 

https://deadspin.com/atlanta-falcons-somehow-lose-to-nick-foles-1822061364

18 minutes ago, Dr_truth189 said:

Everyone on this board has amnesia, even Cam Newton doesn't whine this much.  In the 2016 Pre-season our offense looked like absolute garbage.  

All camp all we heard was how good they looked, Ryan praised everyone, and we stepped out against the Miami Dolphins in pre-week 3, and there were no less than 5 fire Shanahan threads on the front page.  Yet here we are in a similar scenario in 2018 after 1 drive in 1 game. 

One thing that I've learned is that Matt Ryan doesn't use his words as a bluff, he calls his shots. 

In 2012, he said it was his best team, we go to his first NFC championship.  

2016, the offense was clicking great, we go to the Superbowl

2018, yet again calls this his best team, says offense looks great, I think we know where this is headed. 

2008 - Played western division, yes. Played Eagles in Philly, yes. Played Cardinals at home, no. Matt Ryan wins 11 games as a rookie and goes to his first playoff game (wildcard) in his rookie year.

2010 - Played western division, yes. Played Eagles in Philly, yes. Played Cardinals at home, yes. Won the division. Matt Ryan wins 13 games and goes to his first divisional round game.

2012 - Played western division, yes. Played Eagles in Philly, yes. Played Cardinals at home, yes. Won the division. Matt Ryan wins 13 games again, wins his first playoff game in the divisional round, and goes to his first NFC Championship.

2014 - Played western division, no. Played Eagles in Philly, no. Played Cardinals at home, yes. 6-10 was an improvement from 4-12, but still not enough.

2016 - Played western division, yes. Played Eagles in Philly, yes. Played Cardinals at home, yes. Won the division. Matt Ryan wins 11 games, wins his first NFC Championship, and goes to his first Super Bowl.

2018 - Plays western division, no. Plays Eagles in Philly, yes. Plays Cardinals at home, yes. ?????

2020 - Plays western division, yes. Plays Eagles in Philly, tentative. Plays Cardinals at home, tentative. 

Outside of 2014, the even numbered pattern trend is real, and the Super Bowl is in Atlanta come February 2019. Everything is set up for us, however, I still have my worries with Matt Ryan being the highest paid QB and Julio Jones holding out from the team all that time before training camp. Not to mention that preseason shutout against the Jets after how awful our offense dropped last season makes me even more worried about Sarkisian than I was before. 

Edited by mqg96

1 minute ago, mqg96 said:

2008 - Played western division, yes. Played Eagles in Philly, yes. Played Cardinals at home, no. Matt Ryan wins 11 games as a rookie and goes to his first playoff game (wildcard) in his rookie year.

2010 - Played western division, yes. Played Eagles in Philly, yes. Played Cardinals at home, yes. Won the division. Matt Ryan wins 13 games and goes to his first divisional round game.

2012 - Played western division, yes. Played Eagles in Philly, yes. Played Cardinals at home, yes. Won the division. Matt Ryan wins 13 games again, wins his first playoff game in the divisional round, and goes to his first NFC Championship.

2014 - Played western division, no. Played Eagles in Philly, no. Played Cardinals at home, no. 6-10 was an improvement from 4-12, but still not enough.

2016 - Played western division, yes. Played Eagles in Philly, yes. Played Cardinals at home, yes. Won the division. Matt Ryan wins 11 games, wins his first NFC Championship, and goes to his first Super Bowl.

2018 - Plays western division, no. Plays Eagles in Philly, yes. Plays Cardinals at home, yes. ?????

2020 - Plays western division, yes. Plays Eagles in Philly, tentative. Plays Cardinals at home, tentative. 

Outside of 2014, the even numbered pattern trend is real, and the Super Bowl is in Atlanta come February 2019. Everything is set up for us, however, I still have my worries with Matt Ryan being the highest paid QB and Julio Jones holding out from the team all that time before training camp. Not to mention that preseason shutout against the Jets after how awful our offense dropped last season makes me even more worried about Sarkisian than I was before. 

My man, don't worry one bit.  I know how riled up everyone can be, even I was literally jaw dropped with some of the play calls we saw last year, but if there's one thing that I'm not worried about is if Sark is a good offensive mind.   

He is human, just like you and me, and had some hiccups in a job he's never done before, with little to no help from a planning standpoint.  We will be good, I don't know if we're good enough to walk into Philly to open the season and throw up 30 points good, but we're good.  

4 hours ago, ATLSlobberKnockers said:

If we don't lead the league in dropped passes and set an NFL record for tipped ints, then sark is getting props for learning on the fly so well with such a little support system rather than getting brow beaten

As much as I am down on Sark, the drops and tips for INTs weren't Sarks fault. So yes I agree, if the WRs and TEs can improve on drops, then Sark will look better by default and the offense as a whole will too.

ATLSlobberKnockers likes this

On 8/15/2018 at 8:36 AM, Goober Pyle said:

https://theathletic.com/473236/2018/08/14/sarkisian-on-first-team-offenses-early-exit-against-jets-we-chose-for-that-to-be-our-worst-day/

Quinn, Dimitroff meet to discuss roster

“It’s actually the fun part of the puzzle,” Quinn said. “Thomas and myself, we just had a meeting on that (Tuesday) morning, of who could be slotted in some of those spots. I would say when you get to roster spot 48, 49, 50 to 53, sometimes those are fluid; sometimes they are pretty set. It feels like you’re always tweaking that and seeing if somebody can make a move into that spot.”

THIS is what people need to understand about our Preseason games.  The top 3/4ths of the roster is set.  We know those guys are going to make it so there is no point in risking their health in meaningless games.  The last 7 or 8 spots are what we're using Preseason to sort out.  We have 40 plus guys fighting for those spots and the best way to find out who has what it takes to earn them is to see what they do in real game situations.  That is how you separate the training camp flash in the pan from a player who has the talent and potential to actually contribute if the need arises. 

It is how we continually find diamonds in the rough like Pool, Schraeder, Hall, etc.  Constantly churning the bottom of the roster, searching for guys who can develop into something.

That is what this staff does with Preseason.  They don't use it for "proving" anything because the preseason proves nothing.

falconidae likes this

1 hour ago, falconidae said:

It's universal, if you visit other teams boards, same thing is happening. There's a good chunk of posters on every board freaking out about preseason games.

Oh I’m sure, I’ve been on the Saints and Panthers boards. As well as the Seahawks and Packers. Panthers overall have the most illogical, irrational fans from what I have at least seen

3 hours ago, abcranford2 said:

Lol dont expect to see anything in a freaking preseason game.

Why not?  Defenses aren't even scheming to stop us.  We should have a couple drives that actually succeed.  

I don't really care how the backups look, but we're going to have starters on the field and we should expect them to move the ball!

Same thing on defense -- we should be able to stop the run, with starters in the game.

13 minutes ago, DogIsYourName said:

Why not?  Defenses aren't even scheming to stop us.  We should have a couple drives that actually succeed.  

I don't really care how the backups look, but we're going to have starters on the field and we should expect them to move the ball!

Same thing on defense -- we should be able to stop the run, with starters in the game.

I feel the opposite.  The backups are the ones to watch.  They are the ones actually trying.

11 hours ago, DogIsYourName said:

I'm sleeping great.  I'm just saying that all the preseason buzz is meaningless BS.  It's a new year, put up or shut up.

You should take your own advise.

2 hours ago, Dr_truth189 said:

In 2013, he said it was his best team, we go to his first NFC championship.  

2016, the offense can score 30 PPG, we score 33.8 PPG and go to the Superbowl

Edited.

57 minutes ago, mqg96 said:

I still have my worries with Matt Ryan being the highest paid QB and Julio Jones holding out from the team all that time before training camp. Not to mention that preseason shutout against the Jets after how awful our offense dropped last season makes me even more worried about Sarkisian than I was before. 

What does Ryan's contract have to do with his on field performance? And Julio missed 3 days of work in June.

Really worried about Sark after the preseason game? You realize Falcons held Julio and Free out, started an UDFA and a 4th round rooke at FB and RB, that the RB & FB were responsible for the 2 penalties that caused the 3 and out? That after 4 snaps, there was only 1 starter on offense and 2nd-3rd stringers across the Oline?

Here's the offense 4 snaps in:

Schaub, Paulsen,Paztor, Hooper, Garland, Gono, Smith, Douglas, Hardy, Schweitzer, Davis, Gage, Fusco  [that's 13 in snaps 4-6]

That's an Oline of Paztor, Gono, Garland, Fusco, Schweitzer.

If we ever see that group outside the 4th quarter of a blowout, Falcons are FUBARed anyway.

2 hours ago, DogIsYourName said:

Falcons aren't scheming either. Quinn doesn't do the preseason they way you think he should. Regular season seems to turn out OK

Have you watched the previous 3 years of Quinn in preseason? Last week, 4 snaps in on offense, there was 1 starter on the field and the Oline was Paztor, Gono, Garland, Fusco, and Wes. After the first series, you didn't see Ryan, Julio, Free, Coleman, Sanu, Riley.

Last year, he was changing out the whole Oline every series of downs [ might have been two years ago].

Quinn always says he's going to evaluate individual players, so he puts them in situations to see what they do, situations that have little or nothing to do with winning the game.

In 2016, Falcons looked so bad in 3rd preseason game, people were calling for Shanahan to be fired. They started 3-1, had one of the best regular season offenses ever.

Falcons under Quinn have started 4-0, 3-1 & 3-1 last 3 years. Preseason showing means nothing.

36 minutes ago, falconidae said:

What does Ryan's contract have to do with his on field performance? And Julio missed 3 days of work in June.

Really worried about Sark after the preseason game? You realize Falcons held Julio and Free out, started an UDFA and a 4th round rooke at FB and RB, that the RB & FB were responsible for the 2 penalties that caused the 3 and out? That after 4 snaps, there was only 1 starter on offense and 2nd-3rd stringers across the Oline?

Here's the offense 4 snaps in:

Schaub, Paulsen,Paztor, Hooper, Garland, Gono, Smith, Douglas, Hardy, Schweitzer, Davis, Gage, Fusco  [that's 13 in snaps 4-6]

That's an Oline of Paztor, Gono, Garland, Fusco, Schweitzer.

If we ever see that group outside the 4th quarter of a blowout, Falcons are FUBARed anyway.

How about all the rookies, 3rd and 4th stringers around the league from the other 31 teams? There wasn't an excuse for them scoring any points. The expectation for the Atlanta Falcons is supposed to be bigger than all of the other teams around us who can have better play calling with less talent than us. We were in the Super Bowl 2 years ago with a high powered offense, not all the other 30 teams. Regardless of who's starting on the offensive side of the ball, you should not have no 1st down right before the end of the 1st half, you should not have gotten shutout.The pressure is seriously on for Sarkisian and the rest of the offensive staff. 

Last season, going 0-4 in the preseason didn't matter, but it did have a reflection of our struggles throughout the 2017 season. We also went 0-4 in the preseason in 2011 and 2013. We struggled in 2011 but barely sneaked in the playoffs at 10-6 before getting killed by the Giants in New York. We went 0-4 in the preseason in 2013 and we had a lot of O-line issues in our 0-4 preseason campaign, and that wasn't supposed to matter, but then we ended up being 4-12 that year.

Preseason doesn't count, but when it comes to the personnel, depth and coaching preseason DOES matter. Unlike basketball or baseball where there's over 80 games played in a regular season, when it comes to football how your team looks early on is how your team is going to most likely look for the remaining of the year. When you put on your helmet and your shoulder pads, the time is now or never. 

Do people not realize that we were not 1st, not 2nd, but 3rd, THIRD in the NFC South last season, even though we still made the playoffs, the Saints and Panthers still had a better record than us. The Panthers finished with a better record than the Falcons for the 4th time in 5 seasons. This upcoming season is not promised to us. Our preseason game against the Chiefs will tell us everything we need to know. I'm putting a serious eye hawk on our offensive side of the ball. 

2 hours ago, DogIsYourName said:

:bang:

14 hours ago, DogIsYourName said:

Needy much?