Macknsweetjones

Jalen Ramsey calls Matt Ryan overrated

594 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, Byrdman242424 said:

How? My point was that QBs throw interceptions. Dude was trying to put blame on Matt throwing redzone INTs. How? So how did I lose, again?

Nah, you were trying to give all the credit to Kyle for Matt's good play, and act like he wasn't here in 2015 when Matt was throwing those redzone INT's and people were calling for Kyle to be fired.

Ryan2Julio11 and JDaveG like this

18 minutes ago, Byrdman242424 said:

But seriously, you boys are a trip on the Matt Ryan stuff. And ya'll STAY in here posting and having opinions on everything. I've been in here since 2011/2012 and only have 780 posts. Some of ya'll got like 40,000 posts! Get a life and keep your opinion.

Feel free to find me in Section 221 for the next 30 years at the Benze, Philly game one, New Orleans Thanksgiving game, Carolina and Tampa Bay road games, D.C. for the birthday turnup, and Pittsburgh...because Steelers is a bucket list.

I'll buy you a beer and you can tell me all about it. Lol. 

Aah, so you can't actually prove Ryan is middle of the pack, can you? I can show you dozen of stats, including advanced stats, that show Ryan is a very good QB,  already have in this thread, you have to cherry pick stats to come up with negatives.

Will add that Ryan is consistently a top 5-7 QB in DVOA, except for the year he was injured, when he was top  13 and the year he was learning a new offense, when he was 19, that's 8 out of 10 years he was ranked 4-7, including last year. 

Edit, he was number 1 in dvoa in 2016, his average DVOA for his 10 years is 7.8, that's really good.

1 hour ago, Byrdman242424 said:

Ahh, man. You wanna bring up Pro-Bowls. We ALL know that players can all of a sudden become a pro-bowler should another play not want to play. Lol. Sooo....who really counts those. Well, besides you. 

But going back in time, what happened during that Giants Wildcard game when we put up 2 points. Well the defense did. I don't remember us struggling to score with Shanny. Do you? 

Cherry picking playoff games now.  Cause you might want to check out his last 7 playoff games.  His playoff stats are better than anyones over that stretch.

14 minutes ago, Byrdman242424 said:

But seriously, you boys are a trip on the Matt Ryan stuff. And ya'll STAY in here posting and having opinions on everything. I've been in here since 2011/2012 and only have 780 posts. Some of ya'll got like 40,000 posts! Get a life and keep your opinion.

Feel free to find me in Section 221 for the next 30 years at the Benz, Philly game one, New Orleans Thanksgiving game, Carolina and Tampa Bay road games, D.C. for the birthday turnup, and Pittsburgh...because Steelers is a bucket list.

I'll buy you a beer and you can tell me all about it. Lol. 

I have controversial opinions on here too and I just discovered this site last year (wish I had been around earlier), but I'm not as naive as you the way you're criticizing Matt Ryan. You're blatantly agreeing with everything Jalen Ramsey said but not only that, you're saying that Matt Ryan has been a MEDIOCRE QB for us when you fail to bring up all the history he's done for our franchise in a 10 year span. Kyle Shanahan was only with Matt Ryan for 2 years and only had 1 solid year with him. Yes, offensive coordinators do make a difference when it comes to the SCHEME and the SYSTEM (and certainly Sarkisian too who I've been very critical of), but you tell me Matt Ryan is MEDIOCRE when you look at all the other QB's in the league who has accomplished NO WHERE near as Matt Ryan. Even Tony Romo NEVER had any of the stats or records that Matt Ryan had. Andy Dalton led the Bengals to 5 straight playoff appearances in the wildcard and LOST ALL FIVE! Unlike Romo and Dalton, every team who beat Matt Ryan in the playoffs has played in a Super Bowl or won one. Is there anything else you can ask for? Your stats are completely irrelevant and biased against Matt Ryan when anyone could easily bring up elite QB's in this league who's had mediocre years as well. How about the personnel? I guess you're one of those guys who think it's either "Super Bowl win" or bust for every QB which is very dumb. Matt Ryan is one of those athletes of Georgia you trade somewhere he will IMMEDIATELY win a championship somewhere else the following year. 

Edited by mqg96
Joey563 likes this

1 hour ago, TheDirtyWordII said:

Overall - I would say Matt trends more toward actually being slightly underrated by the overall masses.  But he's significantly overrated by AFMB by in large.

You’re right. Matt is overall underrated. But people on this board often times think he’s on the same level as Aaron Rodgers. He is not even close to Rodgers IMO

mqg96 likes this

46 minutes ago, Peyton said:

14 pages.  I am truly impressed at this boards ability to make a discussion where there shouldn't be one.

Bravo. 

I understand TATF got a very high  PFF grade in the superfluous discussions above average stat. Not elite, but Top Ten. lol. :ninja:

rounz and Butudontseeme™ like this

6 hours ago, Byrdman242424 said:

I wouldn't say "bust", but is he wrong though?

Ryan is already pretty much top 15 in QB stats all time in NFL history. He still has 3-6 good years left as well.

When Ryan retires he could be top 5 in every single QB stat in NFL history.

People just don't realize how good Ryan is.

falconidae likes this

42 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

Ramsey said Ryan was great in 2016 because of Shanahan.

Do you agree or disagree?

I disagree. Could just as easily say Shanahan was great because of Ryan. What real success had Shan tasted before Ryan was IN HIS SECOND YEAR IN THE SYSTEM. Matt Ryan is Matt Ryan no matter what system you put him in, The TEAM seems best suited for the WCO, and Ryan has had to work on footwork, pocket presence because of that. I think Ryan enjoys the freedom that the system affords the QB DURING the play. Shan doesn't give much freedom to audible obviously, and that is likely almost always for the best. 

In fact kirk Cousins has stated that the best info Shan ever gave him was how to shuffle his feet correctly in the pocket. It allows you to throw with your quickest release without sacrificing much velocity at all. It;s also a subconcious cadence that tells you how much time has elapsed. Also shuffling your feet the way Shan teaches makes it easier to avoid a sack, or to take off running. Since your feet aren't cemented to the ground it allows a less than mobile QB to have many of the advantages that a mobile QB does. 

Oddly enough Cousins talks to Kurt Benkert about this on his web show, and proceeds to "teach" the technique to Kurt.  It isn't a technique that is taught league wide. Most Qbs are taught the drop back, planting the back foot in the best position to gain momentum on the throw: and ofcourse taught the follow through. The problem with that traditional technique is that it;s like a golf swing in that you can never truly master it. Now that technique is always going to be employed on designed "hot routes" or intermediate/deep throws. You have to do it that way or you can't develop the timing needed to drop the ball in the bucket.

In summation Matt Ryan is the best QB all time in moving the ball down the field passing, It's not debatable since he surpassed 40,000 yards faster than any QB before him.

Matt Ryan is the closest thing to Peyton Manning, and that is the comparison I made in 2008 before we drafted him, and it is exactly who he is. Good not great athlete with a strong arm but not a cannon. Work ethic and their cerebral football I.Q. is what makes them great. Barring horrific injury Matt Ryan is going to be a hall of fame QB, I would bet my house on it.

I need a break from the board. I'll see you guys in a few days

Edited by ATLSlobberKnockers
falconidae and JDaveG like this

2 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

You’re right. Matt is overall underrated. But people on this board often times think he’s on the same level as Aaron Rodgers. He is not even close to Rodgers IMO

I don't believe most people on this board thinks Matt Ryan is close to Aaron Rodgers. I believe this is what Byrdman242424 wants everyone to believe so he can prove his point. Heck, on the talent level Aaron Rodgers is even better than Tom Brady, why, because Tom Brady has Bill Belichick every year who is a mastermind at the draft, free agency, and coaching every year and Belichick being a defensive mind gives Brady top 10 defenses every year. Outside of 2010 and maybe 2011 Aaron Rodgers has a mediocre to bad defense throughout his whole career and Mike McCarthy is overrated. If the Packers don't make the playoffs this year I believe McCarthy will be fired, and they have a rough schedule playing the NFC West, AFC East, and drawing our Falcons. 

3 minutes ago, MAD597 said:

Ryan is already pretty much top 15 in QB stats all time in NFL history. He still has 3-6 good years left as well.

When Ryan retires he could be top 5 in every single QB stat in NFL history.

People just don't realize how good Ryan is.

Dude I just don;t get it. The guy is going to be a HOF QB whether he wins a ring or not. Fastest to 40k yards is going to prob end up #2 in all time yardage unless he plays til 40. Atlanta just doesn't understand how special these years have been and are going to continue to be. Ryan with a top 5 defense? Forget about it and mail us the rings.

JDaveG and DirtyBird8711 like this

4 minutes ago, ATLSlobberKnockers said:

I disagree. Could just as easily say Shanahan was great because of Ryan. What real success had Shan tasted before Ryan was IN HIS SECOND YEAR IN THE SYSTEM. Matt Ryan is Matt Ryan no matter what system you put him in, The TEAM seems best suited for the WCO, and Ryan has had to work on footwork, pocket presence because of that. I think Ryan enjoys the freedom that the system affords the QB DURING the play. Shan doesn't give much freedom to audible obviously, and that is likely almost always for the best. 

In fact kirk Cousins has stated that the best info Shan ever gave him was how to shuffle his feet correctly in the pocket. It allows you to throw with your quickest release without sacrificing much velocity at all. It;s also a subconcious cadence that tells you how much time has elapsed. Also shuffling your feet the way Shan teaches makes it easier to avoid a sack, or to take off running. Since your feet aren't cemented to the ground it allows a less than mobile QB to have many of the advantages that a mobile QB does. 

Oddly enough Cousins talks to Kurt Benkert about this on his web show, and proceeds to "teach" the technique to Kurt.  It isn't a technique that is taught league wide. Most Qbs are taught the drop back, planting the back foot in the best position to gain momentum on the throw: and ofcourse taught the follow through. The problem with that traditional technique is that it;s like a golf swing in that you can never truly master it. Now that technique is always going to be employed on designed "hot routes" or intermediate/deep throws. You have to do it that way or you can't develop the timing needed to drop the ball in the bucket.

In summation Matt Ryan is the best QB all time in moving the ball down the field passing, It's not debatable since he surpassed 40,000 yards faster than any QB before him.

Matt Ryan is the closest thing to Peyton Manning, and that is the comparison I made in 2008 before we drafted him, and it is exactly who he is. Good not great athlete with a strong arm but not a cannon. Work ethic and their cerebral football I.Q. is what makes them great. Barring horrific injury Matt Ryan is going to be a hall of fame QB, I would bet my house on it.

I need a break from the board. I'll see you guys in a few days

Don't worry, this thread will still be going when you get back LOLLOLOLOLOLOL

JDaveG and ATLSlobberKnockers like this

Just now, mqg96 said:

I don't believe most people on this board thinks Matt Ryan is close to Aaron Rodgers. I believe this is what Byrdman242424 wants everyone to believe so he can prove his point. Heck, on the talent level Aaron Rodgers is even better than Tom Brady, why, because Tom Brady has Bill Belichick every year who is a mastermind at the draft, free agency, and coaching every year and Belichick being a defensive mind gives Brady top 10 defenses every year. Outside of 2010 and maybe 2011 Aaron Rodgers has a mediocre to bad defense throughout his whole career and Mike McCarthy is overrated. If the Packers don't make the playoffs this year I believe McCarthy will be fired, and they have a rough schedule playing the NFC West, AFC East, and drawing our Falcons. 

yet Ryan has more career passing yards in fewer games than Rogers. They don't talk about that much do they?

mqg96 likes this

1 minute ago, ATLSlobberKnockers said:

Dude I just don;t get it. The guy is going to be a HOF QB whether he wins a ring or not. Fastest to 40k yards is going to prob end up #2 in all time yardage unless he plays til 40. Atlanta just doesn't understand how special these years have been and are going to continue to be. Ryan with a top 5 defense? Forget about it and mail us the rings.

Actually, if Ryan hadn't had a playoff week where he slept in the hospital while his pregnant wife was on bed rest and done his film watching there, he might have won one last year. He just wasn't himself in that game, just a little off from his previously incredibly sharp playoff performances. They get back to the playoffs, I think Ryan will just roll through teams.

JDaveG likes this

44 minutes ago, caponine said:

Always??

With Matt Ryan. Had Turner for the first half of his career. Then the S.Jax turdfest, and now with Free/Cole. I may be wrong but it seems that way. Of course 2016 seemed pretty pass happy though.

5 minutes ago, mqg96 said:

Byrdman is saying that Ryan is overrated. He isn’t. Ryan is a top 7 QB in this league. He is needed on this team in order to win a championship 

mqg96, falconidae and JDaveG like this

16 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

I doubt anyone believes that Ryan is on the same level as Rodgers.

But Aaron Rodgers has become overrated a bit by many fans and the media. I've seen many call Rodgers the goat, despite him only having 1 ring with 1 SB appearance while Brady has 5 rings with 8 SB appearances.

Why do people always bring up rings and SBs in determining how great a player is, but put Rodgers in the same category as Brady?

17 minutes ago, abcranford2 said:

I agree.  

And if you said Shanahan was great in 2016 because of Ryan.  I'd also agree.

How dumb does one have to be to not understand this? Mack had as much to do with 2016 as Shan. Shan was here for that disappointing 2015 season, Mack wasn't. If you can get the ball to Matt and give him a little time Matt's going to hurt you like Clubber Lang. When he retires he will be talked about with Manning, Brady, Rogers, Marino, Moon, etc as one of the best to ever do it.