The Falcon Jedi Knight

Adam Schein ranks Atlanta Defense #8

32 posts in this topic

8. Atlanta Falcons

Atlanta's defense is routinely overshadowed by its star-studded offense. But I think this D, which really started to perform down the stretch last season, is going to really surprise some people in 2018.

On the day Matt Ryan raved about Ricardo Allen to me on SiriusXM Radio, the Falcons smartly rewarded the safety with a new contract. The defensive backfield is strong as a whole, with Keanu Neal establishing himself as one of the league's most imposing hammers. Up front, Grady Jarrett is a menace on the defensive interior. Defensive end Vic Beasley is capable of being special, but the Falcons have to put him in positions to succeed as an edge rusher. And I expect Takk McKinley to have a vastly improved second season.

In the middle of it all is Deion Jones, a stud middle linebacker who excels against the pass and run. Pro Football Focus had him ranked as the No. 4 linebacker in football last season.

That's nice and all, but I hate early rankings.

Still more anxious about the offense than the defense, especially since we won't see actually gameplanning until week 1. Hope Sark and the O can get it together this year while the D can continue to improve this season.

Edited by BoomGoesTheDynamite

I will take it however several national media outlets are kind of sleeping on the Falcons even with all the talent they still think the Saints will win the division again I will take it because we could be loaded but we can also still be. An underdog

Edited by VTCrunkler

2 minutes ago, VTCrunkler said:

I will take it however several national media outlets are kind of sleeping on the Falcons even with all the talent they still think the Saints will win the division again I will take it because we could be loaded but we can also still be. An underdog

Been seeing a lot more people boosting up the Panthers to win the division too lately. General consensus is that it will be between those two again kinda of like last year.

And while not too many people are talking about Tampa, I don't trust those tricky Bucs.

45 minutes ago, BoomGoesTheDynamite said:

Been seeing a lot more people boosting up the Panthers to win the division too lately. General consensus is that it will be between those two again kinda of like last year.

And while not too many people are talking about Tampa, I don't trust those tricky Bucs.

Dan Patrick had a poll question of which NFC South team will miss the playoffs in the first was the Panthers and the second was us I'm still scratching my head over that wayDan Patrick had a poll question of which NFC South team will miss the playoffs in the first was the Panthers and the second was us I'm still scratching my head over that way

10 minutes ago, VTCrunkler said:

Dan Patrick had a poll question of which NFC South team will miss the playoffs in the first was the Panthers and the second was us I'm still scratching my head over that wayDan Patrick had a poll question of which NFC South team will miss the playoffs in the first was the Panthers and the second was us I'm still scratching my head over that way

I’m scratching my head over this post

11 minutes ago, Drew4719 said:

I’m scratching my head over this post

Good one. Hehe. People think we stand a good chance to miss the playoffs this season. I don't see it. 

Drew4719 likes this

1 minute ago, VTCrunkler said:

Good one. Hehe. People think we stand a good chance to miss the playoffs this season. I don't see it. 

Yeah, I’ve seen a lot of people ranking the panthers ahead of us this offseason. I don’t see that at all, the panthers have never had back-to-back winning seasons and are due for a down year. Cam Is not suited for Norv Turner’s offense. And their defense is another year older while ours keeps getting younger.

i’m more worried about the saints, but we are the best team in this division. I think the Bucs might be in too big a hole by the time Jameis gets back and gets settled in, their early schedule is not forgiving.

VTCrunkler and tonatl07 like this

4 minutes ago, Drew4719 said:

Yeah, I’ve seen a lot of people ranking the panthers ahead of us this offseason. I don’t see that at all, the panthers have never had back-to-back winning seasons and are due for a down year. Cam Is not suited for Norv Turner’s offense. And their defense is another year older while ours keeps getting younger.

i’m more worried about the saints, but we are the best team in this division. I think the Bucs might be in too big a hole by the time Jameis gets back and gets settled in, their early schedule is not forgiving.

Folks are saying  The Panthers are better than us ?  Ludacris. Wait they have never had back to back winning seasons ever or simply under cam NewtonWait they have never had back to back winning seasons ever or simply under cam Newton

17 minutes ago, VTCrunkler said:

Folks are saying  The Panthers are better than us ?  Ludacris. Wait they have never had back to back winning seasons ever or simply under cam NewtonWait they have never had back to back winning seasons ever or simply under cam Newton

You can say that again

27 minutes ago, Drew4719 said:

How is Cam Newton not suited for an air coryell offense? Their o-line might not be suited for Norv Turner’s offense but Cam Newton is definitely an air coryell QB

Drew4719 likes this

28 minutes ago, Wjcorner said:

How is Cam Newton not suited for an air coryell offense? Their o-line might not be suited for Norv Turner’s offense but Cam Newton is definitely an air coryell QB

That’s true, but I’ve heard that they want to throw a lot of shorter passes, and that Norv wants to get cam’s completion % up to the high 60s(which seems improbable), So maybe I heard wrong. But if they run all-out Air Coryell, Cam probably will do pretty well.

1 minute ago, Drew4719 said:

That’s true, but I’ve heard that they want to throw a lot of shorter passes, and that Norv wants to get cam’s completion % up to the high 60s(which seems improbable), So maybe I heard wrong. But if they run all-out Air Coryell, Cam probably will do pretty well.

I doubt he’s ever a high 60 completion % type of guy...but I think he can be trained to take the checkdown a little more often. He started doing it when Olsen got hurt and they traded Kelvin...started leaning on McCaffery underneath, and they got a YAC monster in Moore out the draft. Idk, all the fuss about NO but the Panthers are one year of decent o-line play from being a serious threat.

quickzero and Drew4719 like this

6 hours ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

If the defense wants to be a Top 10 unit, its going to need to actually play like a Top 10 unit. For the whole season, not just a marked improvement over the second half of the year. 

That’s where the pass rush comes in. We get that and the defense soars.

20 hours ago, Falcan Moore said:

I'm just excited to have a legit defense again.

Jury is still out on whether the defense is legit. 

Its most certainly the most raw talent this team has had on defense since.....the late 90s? Ever? 

On 8/14/2018 at 5:20 PM, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

If the defense wants to be a Top 10 unit, its going to need to actually play like a Top 10 unit. For the whole season, not just a marked improvement over the second half of the year. 

You are tough on the defense… LOL. All last year you claimed our offense was top five  despite being seventh in the NFC in points per game… And our defense, despite being ranked in the top 10, you said was not a top 10 defense.  Get on board with the defense, and be a little tougher on the offense. The offense has all the resources and should be top five.   Yet it was the defense that shined brightest last season. Give credit where it’s due 

4 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

You are tough on the defense… LOL. All last year you claimed our offense was top five  despite being seventh in the NFC in points per game… And our defense, despite being ranked in the top 10, you said was not a top 10 defense.  Get on board with the defense, and be a little tougher on the offense. The offense has all the resources and should be top five.   Yet it was the defense that shined brightest last season. Give credit where it’s due 

Points per game isnt an overly meaningful metric, for either the defense or the offense. Raw yardage rank (particularly for defense) isnt useless but its close. 

I go where the meaningful data leads me. And the meaningful data supports the assertion that the offense was better than the defense last year. I dont think I ever said the offense was a Top 5 unit, but I'd probably agree that it was Top 10 in 2017. It WAS Top 5 in a few high value metrics but closer to ten in some others. 

I think this defense has all the potential in the world. And I DO think it finished the season much stronger, for the most part. If the defense plays this season like it played the last 1/3 of 2017, it can be a Top 10 unit. But if its going to come out and spend the first half of the season in the bottom ~1/3 of the league in drive stats, YPP, and DVOA, I'm not going to give it the credit that others do. Because it wont deserve it. 

1 minute ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

Points per game isnt an overly meaningful metric, for either the defense or the offense. Raw yardage rank (particularly for defense) isnt useless but its close. 

I go where the meaningful data leads me. And the meaningful data supports the assertion that the offense was better than the defense last year. I dont think I ever said the offense was a Top 5 unit, but I'd probably agree that it was Top 10 in 2017. It WAS Top 5 in a few high value metrics but closer to ten in some others. 

I think this defense has all the potential in the world. And I DO think it finished the season much stronger, for the most part. If the defense plays this season like it played the last 1/3 of 2017, it can be a Top 10 unit. But if its going to come out and spend the first half of the season in the bottom ~1/3 of the league in drive stats, YPP, and DVOA, I'm not going to give it the credit that others do. Because it wont deserve it. 

Pretty sure ppg are how you win a football game.  I could care less about average yards per drive.    Did we get points? That defines a drive on offense.   I’ve never seen a single game decided by yardage or average yards per drive. The defense stopped teams and the offense didn’t score last year. The rest is just spin to fit a narrative 

FalconFanSince1970 likes this