birdz4i

Thomas Dimitroff and the well-oiled front office machine

74 posts in this topic

This is what makes the SB loss so hard to take.  TD would have gone down as Falcons LEGEND for having the balls to pull off that Julio trade despite the warning from Belichick.  Then Julio has that incredible catch that should have put away the game and retire the Patriots dynasty.  Sigh... in an alternate reality. 

Edited by ParanoidAndroid
Stray Dog THA GAWD and birdz4i like this

thanks gdawg   I don't really remember how good knapp was as an offensive coordinator.  I assume he has a dynamic throw it down the field using multiple receivers including running backs approach that will fit our offensive players talents?  or is he a more slowly grind it out coach? will he use ryan's talents in a dynamic way that shanahan did with rollouts, hurry up offense, etc? 

a huge skill we need is making in game adjustments which sark never seemed to do well.  do you think knapp will be able to much more effectively?

13 hours ago, gazoo said:

I started a thread in offseason

“TD plays chess while everyone else plays checkers” and was demonized for it, but I stand by it 100%.

TD is brilliant, not just good, but brilliant, and I guaranty you his name is going to start being mentioned in the discussion of the best GM in the NFL.

He isn’t not only responsible for the awesome players we have, but also responsible for keeping them. 

Dimitroff already has won GM Of The Year award, so I think he is already well-recognized.

56 minutes ago, ket222 said:

thanks gdawg   I don't really remember how good knapp was as an offensive coordinator.  I assume he has a dynamic throw it down the field using multiple receivers including running backs approach that will fit our offensive players talents?  or is he a more slowly grind it out coach? will he use ryan's talents in a dynamic way that shanahan did with rollouts, hurry up offense, etc? 

a huge skill we need is making in game adjustments which sark never seemed to do well.  do you think knapp will be able to much more effectively?

Reviews on Knapp are mixed and he rarely stays anywhere for more than 2-3 years.  He was the Falcons OC from 2004-2006 under Jim Mora - of course that was the Mike Vick era.   I don't know how good Knapp really is but he does have a ton of NFL experience as a coordinator and that simply can't hurt for Sark to have him on the staff.

Tim Mazetti likes this

From what I recall Knapp was decent as a QB coach on a few teams but mainly sucked as an OC wherever he went. I think he was OC in name only on one or two good SF offenses, but Mooch was calling the shots if I remember correctly.

Vandy and Tim Mazetti like this

16 hours ago, BoomGoesTheDynamite said:

I really hope we can at least keep Campbell.

He'd be a great candidate to approach about an early extension at a team-friendly price. 

The Vikings just did this with Thielen and now he's on arguably the best second contract in the league. 

15 hours ago, gazoo said:

“TD plays chess while everyone else plays checkers” and was demonized for it, but I stand by it 100%.

TD is brilliant, not just good, but brilliant, and I guaranty you his name is going to start being mentioned in the discussion of the best GM in the NFL.

He isn’t just responsible for the awesome players we have, but also responsible for keeping them. 

This isnt how the front office works. 

It's a collaborative effort involving dozens of people, from scouts to the coaching staff to the pro personnel guys. 

TD doesnt deserve these plaudits any more than he deserved the vitriol for the leaner years. 

6 hours ago, g-dawg said:

Since Dan Quinn has been hired, TD has done great - but there were legitimate reasons why he almost lost his job - and before you blame it all on Smitty - Smitty was hand picked by one Thomas Dimitroff.

I also believe bringing in Pioli made a bigger impact than most realize.

Stray Dog THA GAWD likes this

The suggestion TD wasn’t good t picking talent is absurd.

It was TD who chose Matt Ryan with 3rd pick in draft when many here,many scouting reports and media mouthpieces said that was a huge gamble that could make or break his career.

Bill Parcels of Miami Dolphins desperately needed a QB but passed on Matt Ryan. 

Furthermore, most teams in the NFL would have traded up to leapfrog Falcons at 3 if they had any remote clue just how good Matt Ryan was. 

We also hit big on several picks including Julio Jones, Trufant and Alford. Baker played well when healthy, it wasn’t talent that was his issue. Jerry looked like he was going to be exceptional but had a gruesome, unusual knee injury his first few games and it ruined his career. 

Many of the free agent and draft picks we brought in were collective decsions. In fact, TD wanted pass rushers but Smitty wanted big fatties on line so TD got Smitty what he wanted and it didn’t work out.

Some here instead of just admitting they were wrong about TD still ignore the circumstances and assign a disproportionate amount of blame on TD for issues prior to DQ and refuse to give him proportionate credit for the current roster.

5 hours ago, g-dawg said:

Tough choices lie ahead.  Given a lack of BAD contracts on the roster, I don’t believe what has been done so far has been that difficult in retaining players- however, it is about to get increasingly more difficult now as so many guys up for new deals in next few years and lots of big contracts now on the books.  We will lose some players.  Certainly will lose Tevin Coleman.  We will probably have to choose between Vic Beasley & DeVondre Campbell- right now Beasley would be the pick there but lets see what 2018 season brings-maybe we can keep both.

While not ideal I think because of what's been described earlier in this thread of the ability to seemingly draft better will off set those tough decisions.

Thats the key really if we do the above we'll be fine.I think the above are all keepers if we really felt it necessary as we haven't even talked about restructuring to keep guys.There are options there I feel you if ask me.

I think that's the most disappointing thing I've come across posting this off season is the anxiety and worry fans put themselves through worrying about the above and there stubbornness to refuse to see that the ability to have and execute the plan the FO is actually doing right now is very possible to keep players.

It was like when we let Poe and Clayborn go it was as if we had no plan B some of the rhetoric written on here was like the sky was really falling and now all of a sudden we can bring in FA we can resign our own we draft well everything's right in the world again.

After being on here for years the lack of vision from some is just maaaaan straight up hard work.

5 minutes ago, gazoo said:

The suggestion TD wasn’t good t picking talent is absurd.

It was TD who chose Matt Ryan with 3rd pick in draft when many here,many scouting reports and media mouthpieces said that was a huge gamble that could make or break his career.

Bill Parcels of Miami Dolphins desperately needed a QB but passed on Matt Ryan. 

Furthermore, most teams in the NFL would have traded up to leapfrog Falcons at 3 if they had any remote clue just how good Matt Ryan was. 

We also hit big on several picks including Julio Jones, Trufant and Alford. Baker played well when healthy, it wasn’t talent that was his issue. Jerry looked like he was going to be exceptional but had a gruesome, unusual knee injury his first few games and it ruined his career. 

Many of the free agent and draft picks we brought in were collective decsions. In fact, TD wanted pass rushers but Smitty wanted big fatties on line so TD got Smitty what he wanted and it didn’t work out.

Some here instead of just admitting they were wrong about TD still ignore the circumstances and assign a disproportionate amount of blame on TD for issues prior to DQ and refuse to give him proportionate credit for the current roster.

TDs worst move was resigning Baker to that extension and given Dunta Robinson the coin he did.

Some of the best trades though Tony Gonzalez for a 2nd rounder and the steal from the Eagles of Assante Samuel for a 7th hahahaha straight robbery right there.

gazoo likes this

6 hours ago, g-dawg said:

I am all about giving TD the credit he deserves- and he deserves it.

Dimitroff started out like gangbusters in 2008.

From 2009-2012, his drafts were awful (yes the 1st round injuries of Jerry/Witherspoon contributed somewhat) outside of Julio trade and the talent drain showed as a lagging indicator in the 2013-2014 season.  There is a distinct reason in 2015 that Dimitroff’s job was in jeopardy above & beyond the team’s lack of success.  The 53 man roster wasn’t good.  TD’s tenure was hanging by a thread. Arthur kept TD, shifted some of Dimitroff's job responsibilities in personnel to Scott Pioli - AND - left TD hanging a bit as Blank restructured the power and organizational base.   The new head coach would have great sway in personnel and have tremendous input on whether Dimitroff would be retained for the long term past 2015 season.

To Dimitroff’s Credit, he adapted and humbled himself - this is how he survived.  TD kept hiring former GM’s to beef up scouting department, quickly adapted to the new power structure and immersed himself in a new Young head coach who knew exactly what he wanted in a football player - specifically defensive players.

Since Dan Quinn has been hired, TD has done great - but there were legitimate reasons why he almost lost his job - and before you blame it all on Smitty - Smitty was hand picked by one Thomas Dimitroff.

Dimitroff’s greatest strengths are missed by most on this board.  His strengths are not personnel, not drafting, not free agency, not the salary cap - Thomas Dimitroff’s greatest strengths are ADAPTABILITY and LACK OF EGO.  Also TD has good eye for building a scouting department.

^ wow a great and very accurate assessment that couldn’t be stated better. I’ll admit I was not a TD fan until AB restructured his responsibilities and hired SP and other GMs. He was really terrible acquiring talent early on regardless if part of the problem was MS. However - he is one of the best with the salary cap and working with the HC. DQ SP and other former gms deserve credit as well. TD deserves all the accolades he’s receiving and AB deserves credit for not kicking him out. I still think DQ and SP deserve the drastic change in evaluating the talent that’s been added to this roster. It’s working and it is a perfect fit.

Vandy and g-dawg like this

1 hour ago, kiwifalcon said:

While not ideal I think because of what's been described earlier in this thread of the ability to seemingly draft better will off set those tough decisions.

Thats the key really if we do the above we'll be fine.I think the above are all keepers if we really felt it necessary as we haven't even talked about restructuring to keep guys.There are options there I feel you if ask me.

I think that's the most disappointing thing I've come across posting this off season is the anxiety and worry fans put themselves through worrying about the above and there stubbornness to refuse to see that the ability to have and execute the plan the FO is actually doing right now is very possible to keep players.

It was like when we let Poe and Clayborn go it was as if we had no plan B some of the rhetoric written on here was like the sky was really falling and now all of a sudden we can bring in FA we can resign our own we draft well everything's right in the world again.

After being on here for years the lack of vision from some is just maaaaan straight up hard work.

Most mistakes NFL GMs make is on the side of big money acquisitions of other teams free agents that they chose to let walk.

As nice as it would have been to retain Poe & Clayborn, I wasn’t 100% sold that either needed to be maintained.

Choices had to be made and I have confidence that letting those guys walk was the right call.

falconidae and kiwifalcon like this

2 hours ago, kiwifalcon said:

We've certainly drafted better in the QuinnOliTroff era, but it's way too early to claim we can sustain a competitive roster with draft picks and Tier 3 free agents alone. We reside in a new NFC that will likely be formidable for a few years.

2015-2018 Players Drafted By The QuinnOliTroff Regime

Cleared - Debo, Jarrett, Takk, Beasley, Neal, Campbell, Teco

Jury Still Out -  Hoop, Ridley, Oliver, Senat, Kazee, Schweitzer, Hardy, Foye, Saubert, Ito, Gage, Duke

Busts - Collins, Rogers, King, Fuller, Hill, Harlow

Several of those guys plus a few key vets will have to go to fit under the next couple caps. That will definitely create some holes. Filling holes with rooks and second year guys like Duke might not measure up.

Could someone tell me exactly what TD does differently in respect to player acquisition than he did while Smitty was here?  Who exactly is over him when it comes to players we draft and sign in FA? 

That answer is absolutely nothing has changed. He’s still 100% in charge of draft and 100%in charge of player acquisition, still  as active in player acquisition as he was before. TD and DQ are attached at the hip on draft day.

TD  does have a better right hand man in Pioli than he had before. All great GMs have top level right hand men.  Bellichick has Ernie Adams, Ozzie Newsome has Eric DeCosta and TD finally has one of tha level in Pioli.

We also know for a fact TD has final say in ALL players we bring to our team. 

21 hours ago, gazoo said:

He isn’t just responsible for the awesome players we have, but also responsible for keeping them. 

I agree with you. That said, my question is: "Will the masses still think highly of him when highly thought of contributors DO walk away to big contracts or get traded?" It is going to happen. I KNOW we are going to lose someone on the defensive side of the ball I really like within the next 2 years. In a way, I'm almost looking forward to watching him weave the roster. 

gazoo likes this

9 minutes ago, falcndave said:

I agree with you. That said, my question is: "Will the masses still think highly of him when highly thought of contributors DO walk away to big contracts or get traded?" It is going to happen. I KNOW we are going to lose someone on the defensive side of the ball I really like within the next 2 years. In a way, I'm almost looking forward to watching him weave the roster. 

It’s true no way we can keep all these guys, but the good thing is, we can get compensatory picks for the studs that get away and keep stocking roster with young talent. 

You are right though.....you know this board as well as I do, and TD will get hung out to dry with claims he’s financially irresponsible, overpaid certain players, etc.  

8 hours ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

From what I recall Knapp was decent as a QB coach on a few teams but mainly sucked as an OC wherever he went. I think he was OC in name only on one or two good SF offenses, but Mooch was calling the shots if I remember correctly.

You remember correctly.

23 hours ago, birdz4i said:

Through careful planning and number crunching, Thomas Dimitroff and the front office have been able to re-sign everyone.

By Adnan Ikic@SayWhichWay  Aug 13, 2018, 12:00pm EDT

The Atlanta Falcons have made great strides since those mediocre to awful seasons in 2013 and 2014, basically rebuilding their entire foundation through incredibly savvy draft selections and free agent signings.

Between 2013 and 2018, the Falcons have added the following players via the draft: Desmond Trufant, Robert Alford, Jake Matthews, Devonta Freeman, Ricardo Allen, Vic Beasley, Tevin Coleman, Grady Jarrett, Keanu Neal, Deion Jones, De’Vondre Campbell, Austin Hooper and Takkarist McKinley. Ryan Schraeder and Brian Poole were also brought in as undrafted free agents.

In that same timeframe, the Falcons have added the likes of Alex Mack, Mohamed Sanu and Brandon Fusco through free agency while trading for Andy Levitre. Three of these players are the projected starters on the interior of the Offensive Line and Sanu is the team’s number two Wide Receiver.

Other than a few core pieces (namely Matt Ryan and Julio Jones), Atlanta’s current roster isn’t even recognizable to the one the team fielded in that 2013 season.

The $$$ ?

However, with excellent draft success comes sacrifice, as good players demand big money when their rookie contracts are up. General Manager Thomas Dimitroff, who’s been lauded for his savvy manipulation of the salary cap, has done an incredible job of locking most of these young star players into contract extensions. Even with the free agent signings, the Falcons have yet to lose a valued contributor to free agency as a result of not having enough money.

During the team’s stellar 2016 season, it came time to start paying the piper for Dimitroff and the front office. With Matt Ryan and Julio Jones already locked into contracts which made them among the five highest-paid players at their respective positions at the time of signing, the young stars from those aforementioned draft classes came for their due as well.

Dimitroff managed to sign Schraeder, who’s one of the best right tackles in the league, to a team friendly 5 year/$31.5 million ($12.5 million guaranteed) contract extension in November of the 2016 season. Just two weeks later, he agreed to terms with CB Robert Alford, whom many thought the team might lose in free agency at the end of his deal, on a 4 year/$38 million ($21 million guaranteed) contract. This also has turned into a bargain with how well Alford played last season.

Desmond Trufant was the big re-signing of the 2017 offseason, agreeing to terms on a 5 year/$68.75 million ($41.56 million guaranteed) contract which made him among the highest paid CBs in the game. Shortly after training camp that summer, Dimitroff came to terms with Devonta Freeman on a 5 year/$41.25 million ($22 million guaranteed) extension, making him among the highest paid RBs in the game.

This past offseason, there was an even bigger fish to fry, with Matt Ryan due for a monster contract extension which was agreed to in the first few days of May. That agreement was to the tune of 5 years for $150 million with a monstrous $100 million in guaranteed money. Both the expected base salary and the guaranteed money figures for Ryan’s contract were inflated after the 49ers re-signed Jimmy Garoppolo and the Vikings signed Kirk Cousins a few weeks earlier.

Then, Julio Jones unexpectedly unexpectedly held out of mandatory June minicamp after reportedly demanding an adjustment to his current longterm contract. Dimitroff and Dan Quinn managed to diffuse that situation by converting approximately $2 million of his 2019 base salary into a 2018 signing bonus.

Since the beginning of Training Camp, Dimitroff has agreed to terms with starting Left Tackle Jake Matthews on a 5 year/$75 million (guaranteed money unknown) extension, and has more recently come to terms with starting Free Safety Ricardo Allen on a 3 year/$19.5 million (guaranteed money unknown) extension. Plans to extend star Defensive Tackle Grady Jarrettare in the works.

Extensions for everyone?

To be able to extend all of your vital core pieces while at the same time using free agency and the trade market to rebuild your offensive line (something a team like the Seattle Seahawks never bothered to do and are now paying for it as a result) is impressive.

Dimitroff and the front office have achieved this through careful planning and looking at the big picture, while even working around some unexpected hurdles (Cousins’ massive guaranteed money bloating Ryan’s contract, the Giants driving up Jake Matthews’ market value by paying Nate Solder so much money and Julio Jones’ new contract demands) to still make it all work under the salary cap.

Next offseason, with the pending extensions of star players like Keanu Neal, Deion Jones and Vic Beasley looming, we should brace ourselves for the expectation of losing some contributors (namely guys like Tevin Coleman and De’Vondre Campbell). To have locked in so much of this good young core in today’s salary cap era, and without so much as a single training camp holdout since 2009, is still a testament to the machine-like efficiency which has been displayed by the Falcons’ front office. This team is in good hands.

https://www.thefalcoholic.com/2018/8/13/17659728/thomas-dimitroff-and-the-well-oiled-front-office-machine

Lol  thank you for the laughs. 

3 hours ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

We've certainly drafted better in the QuinnOliTroff era, but it's way too early to claim we can sustain a competitive roster with draft picks and Tier 3 free agents alone. We reside in a new NFC that will likely be formidable for a few years.

2015-2018 Players Drafted By The QuinnOliTroff Regime

Cleared - Debo, Jarrett, Takk, Beasley, Neal, Campbell, Teco

Jury Still Out -  Hoop, Ridley, Oliver, Senat, Kazee, Schweitzer, Hardy, Foye, Saubert, Ito, Gage, Duke

Busts - Collins, Rogers, King, Fuller, Hill, Harlow

Several of those guys plus a few key vets will have to go to fit under the next couple caps. That will definitely create some holes. Filling holes with rooks and second year guys like Duke might not measure up.

Harlow is a bust? How do you know that? The guy was picked in the 4th round and has spent 1 year with the team. You jumping the gun on that one

gazoo likes this

23 minutes ago, FalconBlood23 said:

Harlow is a bust? How do you know that? The guy was picked in the 4th round and has spent 1 year with the team. You jumping the gun on that one

I’m surpised he didn’t add a couple of undrafted free agents that we cut to the bust list. 

9 hours ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

This isnt how the front office works.  

It's a collaborative effort involving dozens of people, from scouts to the coaching staff to the pro personnel guys.  This describes how all 32 NFL teams work.

TD doesnt deserve these plaudits any more than he deserved the vitriol for the leaner years.  The buck stops with TD with all player acquisitions. He’s the decision maker. The difference here is he accepts more input from DQ than many other GMs do from their head coach.

All teams collaborate to some degree, the difference here is the collaboration between TD and DQ, and previously between Smitty and TD. TD feels it’s his responsibility to get the head coach exactly the type of players the head coach wants OVER what the GM wants. TD isn’t gong to force feed a player to DQ.

We know TD wanted to bring in pass rushers in 2014, but Smitty wanted big DL while telling us sacks are overrated.  TD got Smitty  Soliai and Tyson Jackson over his best judgment  It turned out TD was right, we needed pass rushers. TD stays, Smitty gone. TD shines, Smitty not doing so well.

Not a lot of people must have rated MR2 at the time. I was thinking he could have easily gone to Carolina. I didn't think there was any way he would go #1. 

You have to attribute the majority of his recent success to the brain trust of Quinntroff/Pioli (maybe McKay). But TD hit on MR2 and pulled the biggest coup with JJ. That was a gigantic risk that paid off. 

There is a substantial gap between Alford's and Trufants pay.  Tru has to start the turnover machine. 

Edited by VTCrunkler