Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Falconsfan567

Marlins at Braves

647 posts in this topic

MONDAY - 1:35 PM - Pablo Lopez (2-2, 4.32) vs. Touki Toussaint (MLB Debut)

MONDAY - 7:35 PM - Merandy Gonzalez (2-0, 5.71) vs. Mike Foltynewicz (9-7, 2.98)

TUESDAY - 7:35 PM - Trevor Richards (3-7, 3.98) vs. Anibal Sanchez (6-3, 2.83)

WEDNESDAY - 7:35 PM - Jose Urena (3-12, 4.74) vs. Kevin Gausman (1-1, 2.77)

 

When you look at the pitching matchups for the Marlins series, anything less than a sweep will be a massive failure. These are games the Braves have to win. There's no other way to put it. Win or shut up time for the Braves!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 game sweeps are hard - no matter how good your team is and how bad theirs is. 4 in a row against the same team is quite a feat. Anything less than 3 of 4 would be a letdown for me for sure. 

Either way, we will need our pitching and hitting to be more consistent. Acuna seems deadset on catching Soto for ROY honors, and our bullpen has been mostly lights out post-trade deadline except for a few recent hiccups. We just need some of the rest of the team to get on board - I'm looking at you Swanson, Duvall, et al.

As previously mentioned, Philly now hosts a 2-game date with the juggernaut Boston Red Sox, so time to capitalize as they will subsequently begin a 4-game tilt with the Mets also at home.

Let's freakin go!

EDIT: Albies needs to get going too - sub .600 OPS Post All Star Break. Yuck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, I Am The Truth said:

4 game sweeps are hard - no matter how good your team is and how bad theirs is. 4 in a row against the same team is quite a feat. Anything less than 3 of 4 would be a letdown for me for sure. 

Either way, we will need our pitching and hitting to be more consistent. Acuna seems deadset on catching Soto for ROY honors, and our bullpen has been mostly lights out post-trade deadline except for a few recent hiccups. We just need some of the rest of the team to get on board - I'm looking at you Swanson, Duvall, et al.

As previously mentioned, Philly now hosts a 2-game date with the juggernaut Boston Red Sox, so time to capitalize as they will subsequently begin a 4-game tilt with the Mets also at home.

Let's freakin go!

EDIT: Albies needs to get going too - sub .600 OPS Post All Star Break. Yuck.

4-game sweeps are hard but not impossible. The Mariners just completed a 4 game sweep against the Astros in Houston. Earlier this year the Pirates completed a 5-game sweep of the Brewers. Braves need to take care of business. This is a Marlins team that is depleted and the Braves need to take advantage of that. That means not letting the Marlins two best players (Brian Anderson, J.T. Realmuto) beat you. That means taking advantage of the pitching matchups, which favor the Braves by a landslide. That means taking advantage of a very bad Marlins bullpen. There's a reason that the Marlins are 2-10 in their last 12 games. It's because they're not a good baseball team. They've scored only 32 total runs in those 12 games. That's an average of 2.7 RPG. They've allowed 63 runs in those games games. That's an average of 5.25 RPG. If you want to take it back farther than that, since the ASG they're only 7-14. There's no excuses for the Braves to not win 3 of 4, and realistically, a sweep should be expected. The Braves play the Marlins 8 times in the next 15 games. Braves have to win no less than 6 of those games. Anything less than 6 of 8 is a massive failure. That's two 4-game series, one in Atlanta and one in Miami. Between those two series they've got 4 against the Rockies and 3 against the Pirates (both series at home). Those two series are going to be extremely tough. Braves can't afford to not take care of the Marlins. Given the rest of the schedule the Braves are facing from here on out, the Braves must take care of business against the Marlins. Those 8 games against the Marlins are the only games left that the Braves have against current sub .500 teams.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still to early to assign huge significance to this series, just one game at a time. Got to settle on our pitching rotation middle relief etc., and get more consistent outings. Got to believe the bats will be there, if not its not going to matter anyway. Obviously would be great to run off a 6-7 game run, but they haven't done that all year, win the series keep chopping wood everyday. Who and how the use the September call ups is going to be very interesting. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FanGraphs puts the Braves playoff odds at 50.4%. Their formula says it's a 32% chance the Braves win the East. The best part is they give the Nationals a better chance at the World Series than Atlanta or Philadelphia. Houston has the best odds to win the Championship with 22%, Boston is #2 with 14%. Their most likely NL Champion is the Dodgers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Unkn0wn said:

FanGraphs puts the Braves playoff odds at 50.4%. Their formula says it's a 32% chance the Braves win the East. The best part is they give the Nationals a better chance at the World Series than Atlanta or Philadelphia. Houston has the best odds to win the Championship with 22%, Boston is #2 with 14%. Their most likely NL Champion is the Dodgers.

Still a couple days ago the Nationals chances of making the playoffs were way higher than the Braves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, putnam6 said:

Still to early to assign huge significance to this series, just one game at a time. Got to settle on our pitching rotation middle relief etc., and get more consistent outings. Got to believe the bats will be there, if not its not going to matter anyway. Obviously would be great to run off a 6-7 game run, but they haven't done that all year, win the series keep chopping wood everyday. Who and how the use the September call ups is going to be very interesting. 

I don't think so. The time is now!! Like I said. 8 games against the Marlins in the next 15 days. The only sub .500 games the Braves have left.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Tomahawk Choppa said:

Can't watch the game right now. How is Touki doing?

He's been a little erratic to his arm side with his fastball but his curveball has super sharp and breaking. He struggled in the 2nd inning giving up a walk and 2 straight hits and a run. Had runners at 2nd and 3rd with nobody out and got out of it with no more runs scoring. He's been efficient and has only thrown 62 pitches through 4.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How has Touki looked so far? Like how has his pitches looked I haven't been able to watch any of the game because my little girl started school today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites