TRUju2111

Lets move past Riley, Oluokun is the man!

53 posts in this topic

21 minutes ago, octoslash said:

He'd probably be a better pro bowler than he is a football player. 

Bowling with Mr. President beneath the White House

Awesome!

octoslash likes this

Posted (edited)

Riley ain’t Roddy, he ain’t Collins. He is Riley. A highly athletic 3rd round pick that was handed the starting WLB position last year and blew it, and is being handed the starting WLB position again this year and looked terrible against BACKUPS in the preseason. 

He supposedly worked on his weaknesses in the offseason yet he looks exactly the same as when we last saw him.

He can still turn it around yes, but predicting that he will just because Collins and Roddy did is way more baseless than calling him a bust at this point

Edited by LightningDawg58

i still am holding out hope for riley. i know he only started one year, but staying four and looking as lost as he does sometimes is a little concerning. i guess we can't expect to hit on everyone, but with our recent success drafting it is bound to happen occasionally.

Ergo Proxy likes this

I like Foye and Smith but I know this is preseason and it doesn't always transfer into regular season. Best to have patience, lower expectations and just watch how it turns out.

Ergo Proxy likes this

4 hours ago, LightningDawg58 said:

He can still turn it around yes, but predicting that he will just because Collins and Roddy did is way more baseless than calling him a bust at this point

It was more of a message board prediction so that way when he does turn into a beast I can come back on here to serve up some delicious crow dinners B)

14 hours ago, nolove4thecrook said:

Watch Duke Riley become a perennially pro bowler. The board was the same way with Roddy and we all know how that turned out. Or he'll have a game winning turnover in the playoffs ala Collins

Those Roddy success and turnaround stories are far and few in between. Odds are against him but he is still getting the opportunity. I don't think he does but good luck. If he does, better for us.

Duke Riley doesnt have the hunger to grab a golden opportunity hes been served.

Not sure, how many NFL teams would give this much support inspite of unable to execute on game day.

End of the day, D.Q is looking for playmakers who will play for the man next to him his brother .

Duke is hurting this team...at this point hes 3rd string special teams backup.

One cannot associate Deion Jones and Riley together moving forward.

Flying Falcon likes this

Posted (edited)

Maybe Riley is a backup another year. Campbell struggled in any zone coverage as a rookie, and much of our preseason coverage is cover-3. Hopefully Riley is ok in cover-1... but bench him until he can cover-3 properly. Foye looks like a big-a$$ fast safety out there. I like him better than Riley at the moment. 

Hopefully DJ stays healthy all year. 

Edited by droopy1592
Ergo Proxy likes this

Posted (edited)

A lot of good comments in this thread. Some are a bit too harsh, IMO. Especially after just 1 preseason game. At least, wait until depth charts get finished heading into the season. That way the decision for every player in situations like this gets a 4 game look.

Duke blew the coverage on that TD, but let’s see if he can bounce back. Game is indeed mental and you'd hope a Yale product could pressure Duke to get that aspect of the learning curve. Unfortunately, he does look lost at times out there even with run D and angles on his pursuits. He has to rely on playing faster and improving the decision making later instead of reacting slowly and relying on his athleticism to save him. Doesn’t work in the NFL.

We got a couple good, young LBs out of this UDFA group in addition to Foye. We might need them to be developed by next year if Campbell leaves. So, this is more than just about WLB/Duke.

Campbell bulked up and moved from WLB to SLB last year. Foye looks like he could be a bit heavy for WLB potentially depending on playing weight. Playing weight can be adjusted, though. A high level football IQ decision making process can cover slight athletic differences.

Edited by Ergo Proxy

Last year, I had high hopes for Riley.  He was fast, strong and aggressive.  He was regarded as a very raw prospect that was often lost on the college field.  I really believed that Quinn found a diamond in the rough.  

I could look past Riley's performance last season because I figured he was an excitable rookie that needed to see things a few times to learn the game.  I fully expected him to study the game over the off-season and come back as a man in charge.  

Instead, he appears to be the same neophyte that has little notion of what is actually happening on the field.  If this nonsense continues, I see him as a gunner on kick-offs and a bench player that is used sparingly.  

Hopefully, I am way off base and he plays like a pro.  Because IF he learns the game, he could be special.   

Posted (edited)

5 hours ago, droopy1592 said:

Maybe Riley is a backup another year. Campbell struggled in any zone coverage as a rookie, and much of our preseason coverage is cover-3. Hopefully Riley is ok in cover-1... but bench him until he can cover-3 properly. Foye looks like a big-a$$ fast safety out there. I like him better than Riley at the moment. 

Hopefully DJ stays healthy all year. 

Campbell wasn’t as bad as Riley as a rookie. Campbell showed enough good moments that’s you could overlook a mistake here and there. 

With Duke, we were all rooting for him but there truly is more bad than good when  it comes to film.

And like some one said, the defense ain’t that hard to learn. It’s  designed perfectly for a guy like Riley. Play fast, run and hit, see ball get ball. Like, theres not a ton of info to process but one weak link will cause the entire thing to break down and that’s what you see happening when he is out there. 

Edited by LightningDawg58
Jerz #DukeSZN and Vandy like this

Posted (edited)

23 minutes ago, LightningDawg58 said:

Campbell wasn’t advanced bad Riley as a rookie. Campbell showed enough good moments that’s you could overlook a mistake here and there. 

With Duke, we were all rooting for him but there truly is more bad than good it comes to film.

And like some one said, the defense ain’t that hard to learn. It’s  designed perfectly for a guy like Riley. Play fast, run and hit, see ball get ball. Like, theres not a ton of info to process but one weak link will cause the entire thing to break down and that’s what you see happening when he is out there. 

Pattern matching Cover-3 as a team in unison actually isn’t that easy. You all (as a team) have to understand the route combos and passing off of assignments and all have to be on the same page. So you have to understand what everyone does. Our defense struggled in Cover-3 in 2016 and much of the improvement was a switch to cover-1 on a majority of plays early in the game. 

Edited by droopy1592

13 minutes ago, droopy1592 said:

Pattern matching Cover-3 as a team in unison actually isn’t that easy. You all (as a team) have to understand the route combos and passing off of assignments and all have to be on the same page. So you have to understand what everyone does. Our defense struggled in Cover-3 in 2016 and much of the improvement was a switch to cover-1 on a majority of plays early in the game. 

I had a ton of typos that I went back and edited.

But, I can appreciate that the defense isn’t just beginner level stuff, but conceptually the idea is for there to be less information to process so that the guys can play fast. “We play our style and our scheme better than the opposing offense can play theirs” is the overriding principle that Dan Quinn instills in to the defense.

I agree that in 2016 (with 7 1st or 2nd year starters) we realized that man played to our strengths better than the zone. 

Last year it seemed to even out a little more but I’d still argue that with the athletes we have we are still a much stronger man coverage team for sure.

The point is, Duke looks bad in zone, he looks weak in run support, he looks lost when having to tackle out in space. 

So, whatever the concept he has yet to show anything other than he runs fast enough to get the ball but still miss and he thinks slow enough to cancel out his footspeed in zone 

So even if the mental part gets there, and he is in the right place, he still has to break down and tackle the ball carrier better. 

17 minutes ago, Tim Mazetti said:

They are listed at different positions.

Riley at WSLB, Oluokun at SSLB.

We’re trying to win a SB this year, if Foye is a better LB today than Duke, I doubt Quinn let’s that keep him from seeing the field. De’Vondre switched multiple times his first two seasons, Foye could too

Tim Mazetti likes this

24 minutes ago, LightningDawg58 said:

We’re trying to win a SB this year, if Foye is a better LB today than Duke, I doubt Quinn let’s that keep him from seeing the field. De’Vondre switched multiple times his first two seasons, Foye could too

I wouldn’t be so sure about that one. Jermaine Grace outplayed Riley all camp last year. 

Flying Falcon likes this